Let's Play General Manager...What should Ted Thompson do?

ChicagoPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be fine with the Packers giving up a first round pick to gain a #1 caliber CB since Thompson historically doesn't do well with his 1st round picks.

But the problem with that is that we made no attempt at Stephon Gilmore, and Butler would be commanding a similar contract. So pass on Gilmore who is better to go after the Pats #2 corner and give up our number one pick would make me think that TT was secretly working for New England.

I will be very disappointed when Claiborne is officially a Raven, because at that point there is no one left on the market who would significantly upgrade this ugly miserable secondary.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If the Packers are thinking about giving up their 1st round for Butler, I hope they first swap #1 picks with Atlanta, in exchange for a later round pick (4th if you go off the Jimmy Johnson Trade Value Chart). Or even better, switch #1's and #3's with New Orleans. :D

Last edited:

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Need to beef up secondary. Over on that of in the corner back. As really need to have that. To begin with.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion there's no reason for the Packers to get rid of Cobb. In addition trading Hundley would possibly leave the team with a need at backup quarterback.

Thompson addressing cornerback and outside linebacker in free agency or via trade would allow him to spend an early round pick on a receiver though.

What's the point of signing Carr then though??? It's really not that hard to understand the Packers don't need another mediocre cornerback.

The Packers have enough cap space to sign another outside linebacker as well as a cornerback without having to release a player to dump salary.

Tolzien signed with the Colts last offseason and is still under contract with Indy. The Packers currently have Joe Callahan on the roster as well.
Callahan! That's who I was thinking. D2 guy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

But you're saying that being in a position to put solid, pro players on the field vs practice squad fodder wouldn't lead to better results on defense?

Someone like House or Claiborne or Carr wouldn't help on the field more than Gunter or Goodson?

Claiborne could turn into a decent #1 cornerback for the Packers but would be a risky signing because of him being inconsistent and often injured. Unfortunately he's the best free agent remaining.

The Packers adding House or Carr would improve the secondary but most likely not enough to field a Super Bowl caliber defense.

But the problem with that is that we made no attempt at Stephon Gilmore, and Butler would be commanding a similar contract. So pass on Gilmore who is better to go after the Pats #2 corner and give up our number one pick would make me think that TT was secretly working for New England.

I don't agree that Gilmore is a better cornerback than Butler.

Callahan! That's who I was thinking. D2 guy.

FWIW Callahan actually played Division III college ball at Wesley.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly dont see us adressing CB in FA and i would be unhappy if we did not pick one in the first round. White, Jones, Humphrey. I really feel like one of these guys is gonna be available at 29. Address pass rush in FA by signing Barwin and add a guard and running back in the later rounds of the Draft. If we do not bring in a pass rusher in FA, id say target one in round 2 and add an extra corner in 3. If addressed in FA, switch the positional picks around.

D

Deleted member 6794

I honestly dont see us adressing CB in FA and i would be unhappy if we did not pick one in the first round.

Thompson not addressing cornerback either via free agency or trade would be absolutely mind-boggling.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't watch the Bills, so I have no idea about Gillmore other than now he plays for the Patriots. I figure he must be good considering they Pats play them in the division regularly and have seen him up close and decided to give him a lot of money.

Butler is ok, I don't think he's great. He didn't look much better against Atlanta's WR's than our M.A.S.H unit did really. Had a great play in a super bowl to end the game. That's going to earn him some money with fans because they all remember that even if they don't have a clue how he plays from September to December.

anyway, outside of camp cuts and draft, I don't see much "help" coming to this team. I'm not going to get excited, because it's March. I do feel the staff and manager think they have 2 young starters on this team already. I'm not sold myself, but i think they have the potential. I actually see money being spent on DL or a situational pass rusher before any of the DB's out there.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Claiborne could turn into a decent #1 cornerback for the Packers but would be a risky signing because of him being inconsistent and often injured. Unfortunately he's the best free agent remaining.

The Packers adding House or Carr would improve the secondary but most likely not enough to field a Super Bowl caliber defense.

I don't agree that Gilmore is a better cornerback than Butler.

FWIW Callahan actually played Division III college ball at Wesley.

I don't think anyone thinks adding a veteran like House or Carr would be enough on its own to upgrade the defense to the level it really needs to be at. But I think many view it as a move that would be better than doing nothing.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone thinks adding a veteran like House or Carr would be enough on its own to upgrade the defense to the level it really needs to be at. But I think many view it as a move that would be better than doing nothing.
House.... not carr.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's play GM, what should Ted do? Take the advice of a hall of fame Packer QB. Take 2 weeks off, then quit.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would kick the tires on Walden if the $ & is good. Proven 3-4 pass rusher from the outside.....former packer of course.

Last edited:
OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Offer Ross Cockrell a 3 year, 8 million contract, give up 4th round for Steeler's RFA tender
2) Sign Leon Hall to a 1 year 2 million contract, filling the hybrid role left from Hyde (or use Burnett as the hybrid and Hall replaces Burnett's traditional role)
3) Sign Adrian Peterson to a 2 year 10 million, 6 million guaranteed contract. 1st and 2nd down runner, Montgomery on passing downs. Ripkowski for goal-line.
4)1st pick (CB) Garreon Conley-Ohio State
5) 2nd pick (ILB) Raekwon McMillan-Ohio State
6) 3rd pick (OG) Ethan Pocic-LSU
7) 4th pick from 5th round (RB) De'Veon Smith-Michigan

All the draft picks are from colleges that are running pro style offenses and defenses. The FAs improve key areas.

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still needing pass rushers. I just don't see how we replace Peppers and Jones with draft picks, and still need a starting Caliber guard, a starting CB, an ILB, plus a RB. We need to sign at least a couple more quality FA. Go get Zach Brown. Go get AP. Barwin could have helped. We can't rely on this draft to replace Lang, Jones, Peppers, Shields, Lacy, Starks. It's too much.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
At this point I don't know what Thompson should do other then step down. He has done enough of nothing. We have 1 effective pass rusher and the worse secondary in the NFL tied with tied Saints.

TT could of got both Claiborne and Barwin on very reasonable 1 year deals. For what the Seahawks paid Lacy we could of got Claiborne and have a serviceable no.1 corner.

Now we're screwed. We're gonna end up relying again on rookies and UDFA's on defense. The better offenses in the league will light us up like a Christmas Tree.

But we have 27.8 mill in cap space. What a joke!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sort of figured that, but it was a snarky question to address the previous post saying he (Walden) may have had a bunch of sacks last year but really isn't that good. What makes anyone think Perry's one big year makes him any better? Don't know if it's here, but I posted side-by-side comparisons, and Walden and Perry, on paper, are surprisingly similar over the last 3-4 years.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sort of figured that, but it was a snarky question to address the previous post saying he (Walden) may have had a bunch of sacks last year but really isn't that good. What makes anyone think Perry's one big year makes him any better? Don't know if it's here, but I posted side-by-side comparisons, and Walden and Perry, on paper, are surprisingly similar over the last 3-4 years.

Perry is a way better run defender than Walden though. Last season he was more consistent rushing the passer than the former Packer as well.

Members online

Latest posts