Let's Play General Manager...What should Ted Thompson do?

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think trading for draft picks is the way to go for the 2017 season for the Green Bay Packers. The costs are fixed and low compared to free agents. Also, you have the picks at a relatively low costs for multiple years. The 2017 Packers are primed for another Super Bowl run, so why not use the draft to reload. Since Thompson is usually cautious with free agency, let's play his role for this thread.

Here, is what I would do for the upcoming season, involving a trade with the Tennessee Titans.
* compensatory picks not included

Green Bay Packers Trade:

Randall Cobb
Clay Matthews III
29th pick of 1st Round
29th pick of 2nd Round

Tennessee Titans Trade:

Brian Orakpo
18th pick of 1st Round
5th pick of 3rd Round
19th pick of 3rd Round
20th pick of 5th round

Green Bay Receives/Drafts:

Brian Orakpo
Derek Barnett-Tennessee (18th pick/1st Round)
Chidobe Awuzie-Colorado (5th pick/ 3rd Round)
Raekwon McMillon-Ohio State (19th pick/3rd Round)
Josh Carraway-TCU (20th pick/5th Round)

Brian Orakpo is a perfect fit for Dom Capers and his production is usually consistent. I think with the 29th pick in the 3rd round, which Green Bay stills owns, they should look at Alvin Kamara from Tennessee, if still available (wishful thinking) or Samaje Perine from Oklahoma. Letting go of Randall Cobb and Clay Matthews III clears a lot cap space off the books, which allows Green Bay to target a high quality of Cornerback candidates. Letting go of Cobb, creates more opportunities for the other receivers on the roster, who are bigger, stronger, and definitely not as expensive. Orakpo and Randall Cobbs salary both have two years remaining, with Cobb carrying the higher cap hit. Sending CM3 to Tennessee, allows for Green Bay to re-sign Perry, and to go after the aforementioned quality veteran Cornerback that the Packers desperately need. Perry on one side with Orakpo on the other is lethal. Packers could even re-sign Julius Peppers. On the fence with re-signing Hyde, but with Cobb and CM3 off the books, that gives Green Bay more freedom to make key decisions and my choice of draft picks couldn't hurt...not at all.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing flashy. Unusual as it is for Ted, I would be in favor of bringing in a veteran FA CB. That's about it though. That aside, business as usual. Re-sign important players in house. Draft as close to BPA as you can while taking team needs into consideration.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Nothing flashy. Unusual as it is for Ted, I would be in favor of bringing in a veteran FA CB. That's about it though. That aside, business as usual. Re-sign important players in house. Draft as close to BPA as you can while taking team needs into consideration.

It's almost as though Thompson's approach has produced a modicum of success.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here, is what I would do for the upcoming season, involving a trade with the Tennessee Titans.
* compensatory picks not included

Green Bay Packers Trade:

Randall Cobb
Clay Matthews III
29th pick of 1st Round
29th pick of 2nd Round

Tennessee Titans Trade:

Brian Orakpo
18th pick of 1st Round
5th pick of 3rd Round
19th pick of 3rd Round
20th pick of 5th round

Green Bay Receives/Drafts:

Brian Orakpo
Derek Barnett-Tennessee (18th pick/1st Round)
Chidobe Awuzie-Colorado (5th pick/ 3rd Round)
Raekwon McMillon-Ohio State (19th pick/3rd Round)
Josh Carraway-TCU (20th pick/5th Round)

I find this trade too hopeful and unrealistic. My feelings on the players aside, a 1st and a 2nd don't equal a 1st, two 3rds, and a 5th. Not to mention in a challenging situation that is the Draft and all the variables that surround it you can't assume that that player is going to be available when you come on the clock. You're already hoping a Top 5 or Top 10 pick slides out of the Top 15, so this is already a slippery slope.

What if none of those guys are available? Then what? You're stuck with best player available at that point most likely which may or may not help the team in the best way. That's why you hardly see any trades regarding players and picks leading up to the Draft except a couple days before and on Draft day.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What " should" he do? Step down and never step foot in the facility again.

What " will" he do? Pick up a few scraps and go bargain hunting. Packers start the season slow ( 2-2 or 1-2) turn up the notch, win the division, lose the DG or CCG in OT after losing the toss and the D giving it up.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find this trade too hopeful and unrealistic. My feelings on the players aside, a 1st and a 2nd don't equal a 1st, two 3rds, and a 5th.

Correct. A 1st and a 2nd round picks don't equal a 1st, two 3rds, and a 5th. However, the players mentioned in this trade scenario, that you casually cast aside would measure up. I really think this trade would work in real life. The added benefit of both teams in two different conferences is good.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why would TEN trade a reasonably priced productive player for two guys who are not living up to bloated contracts?

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He should pick up 2-3 veteran pieces to fill in the roster wherever they are short - OL, LB, DB, RB so he isn't chasing all draft picks in hopes of that being the only path to improving the team.

And I don't even think Cleveland is stupid enough to take on $25M in salary of underperforming players.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would TEN trade a reasonably priced productive player for two guys who are not living up to bloated contracts?
No kidding. This would be highway robbery if GB pulled something like that off. Orakpo is coming off one of his best seasons, Matthews his worst. And Tennessee could find a more productive receiver or TE than Cobb with the 18th pick (or probably even later).

Nobody is taking Cobb or Matthews on their current contracts, let alone both. They may not even take them at half of their current salaries. Step 1 would be restructuring their contracts, then paying whatever necessary for a CB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
because, and if Ted was any good at his job, he'd be able to pull it off. Damn Slacker!

D

Deleted member 6794

Thompson should sign a veteran free agent to be the team's #1 cornerback, address the outside linebacker position by re-signing Perry and adding another veteran to a reasonable deal, bring back Cook and either Lang or Tretter.

That would position the Packers for a successful run at another Lombardi Trophy. With him standing pat in free agency again this offseason though I wouldn't consider the team to be a Super Bowl contender though.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
How is this thread any different than any other off season thread we've had? What should Ted do? boils down to - here's an interesting idea that won't happen. Then the same usual suspects bring the same viewpoints that they have pointed out for the past 2 months. Yawn.
and before you tell me to skip it, I read them ALL just to keep an eye on some of the jerks here.

And to respond to the OP, I agree with this :

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's almost as though Thompson's approach has produced a modicum of success.

Exactly, and it's getting over that 'modicum' hump that many of us desire, leading to 'maybe this will work, the status quo hasn't' posts like this.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Now that Julius Peppers has announced that he wants to return for another season, do the Packers try and resign him? I think that is going to depend a bit on what happens with Nick Perry. If Perry is not resigned, the Packers are going to be uber thin at OLB and Peppers suddenly seems like a need for the Packers.

How much is Peppers worth to the Packers?

D

Deleted member 6794

Now that Julius Peppers has announced that he wants to return for another season, do the Packers try and resign him? I think that is going to depend a bit on what happens with Nick Perry. If Perry is not resigned, the Packers are going to be uber thin at OLB and Peppers suddenly seems like a need for the Packers.

How much is Peppers worth to the Packers?

Re-signing Perry should be the Packers top priority at outside linebacker. In case he walks away in free agency Peppers might present a decent option to bring back.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Re-signing Perry should be the Packers top priority at outside linebacker. In case he walks away in free agency Peppers might present a decent option to bring back.
Not disagreeing at all. Just find it interesting how tunes change so drastically from one season to the next.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not disagreeing at all. Just find it interesting how tunes change so drastically from one season to the next.

True, I was convinced Thompson overpaid to retain Perry last offseason. Now I wish he would have offered him a long term contract at that point.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
In retrospect yes, maybe that was the time to get Perry signed to a longer deal but we still don't know if he was offered that type of deal and preferred to play for 1/5m.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
With the tags applied and free agency on the horizon, here are the veterans that catch my eye. I'm just listing any and all players that I find interesting or potentially providing a value. I am well aware that there are certain positions that are of greater need, so I don't need to be reminded of that (looking at you Cap). I'm also not advocating that they all be signed. These guys are obviously in addition to the Packer players that I would like them to retain (in order, Lang, Hyde, Cook, Lacy, Jones, Peppers).

Running Backs:
  • L. Murray, Oakland: If the market is really soft for backs as reported and Murray can be had at a bargain rate, I'd like his potential as a compliment to Montgomery. He doesn't have the greatest vision or instincts, but he's an athletic player who can bring some thump between the tackles.
  • A. Morris, Dallas: If Dallas cuts Morris, as has been reported as a possibility, I'd jump on him as a between the tackles runner to add to the backfield.
Wide Receiver:
  • K. Wright, Tennessee: Wright has never quite lived up to the 1st round investment, but he's still a talented player with big play potential who I think could pay off with a change of scenery.
  • R. Woods, Buffalo: Woods is a quality route runner and possession receiver who is still very young (24). His skill set has never really fit with what the Bills have tried to do on offense, but I do believe he could surprise in a system that better fits his abilities.
  • M. Goodwin, Buffalo: One of the fastest players in the league at only 26, Goodwin could bring a deep threat element to the offense that it currently lacks at a rate far cheaper than players like Torrey Smith, Desean Jackson, or Kenny Stills will command.
Tight End:
  • A. Fasano, TEN: If they don't resign Cook, then I would like to see them sign a different veteran and draft one of these talented rookies. Fasano is probably the best blocker on the market, and the Packers really don't have a TE who can block.
  • R. Ellison, MIN: Same concept as above. Ellison doesn't block as well in-line, but he's a good lead blocker and is significantly younger.
Offensive Line:
  • B. Schwenke, C/G, TEN: This league is starved for quality OL play, meaning that there isn't much of a supply on the market, but the one guy I would be interested in is Schwenke because he's a serviceable player at both center and guard and young enough that he may improve with a change of scenery.
Defensive Line:
  • Jared Odrick, DE, JAX: With a weak DL class, it would be nice to see them add a veteran piece to the DL rotation. Odrick has some skills in both facets and can still be a productive player on limited snaps.
  • Tyson Alualu, DE, JAX: Same concept as above.
  • Stephen Paea, DE, CLE: Same concept as above.
Inside Linebacker:
  • Sio Moore, ARI: I don't think they're going to look to spend on a starting ILB with Ryan and Martinez at least theoretically growing into their roles. They have a backup WILL in Thomas, but no MIKE behind Ryan. Moore can be that guy and offers a little OLB versatility too.
Outside Linebacker:
  • John Simon, HOU: A strong rotational pass rusher who plays stout run defense. He might offer more in an expanded role. Spending ~8M on him might prove to be much smarter money than 15+M on Perry.
  • Connor Barwin, PHI: If Barwin is cut as is expected, he could be a nice rotational pass rusher with a versatile skillset to work into the mix.
  • Alex Okafor, ARI: A promising pass rusher early in his career, Okafor took a step backwards in 2015 and then play through an injury in 2016. There could be upside there.
  • Corey Lemonier, NYJ: A promising talent who fizzled in SF and then NY, I wouldn't mind giving him a spot on the 90 man and see what he can do in camp.
Cornerback:
  • Davon House, JAX: There is always risk with free agents, but at least in House this staff knows he can play capably in their scheme. He's still pretty young.
  • Dre Kirkpatrick, CIN: A solid boundary corner, Kirkpatrick is best off playing press man which he would do plenty of in GB.
  • Johnathan Joseph, HOU: This one is further out there and less certain than other projected cuts, but if a resigning of Bouye in Houson means Joseph is gone, then I'd like them to bring in the veteran as a temporary CB1.
Safety:
  • Daimion Stafford, TEN: A surprise contributor last season, Stafford could have more to offer at SS.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good list, Dantes.

- I really am intrigued by both RB's Murray & Morris as thunder to Monty's lightning.
- I'd add Justin Hunter to your WR list. So far a waste of talent but think with some pressure to hit the jugs machine and a few of AR's dropped-pass-glares he'd shape up into a possibly Jordy replacement (in '19 or '20.)
- Jared Odrick is a head-case and don't wish to see him in GB.
- Yes! to any/all of your OLB's.
- CB's, yes to Joseph & Kirkpatrick if not bank-breakers. No on House, good guy but we've seen his ceiling, already.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Good list, Dantes.

- I really am intrigued by both RB's Murray & Morris as thunder to Monty's lightning.
- I'd add Justin Hunter to your WR list. So far a waste of talent but think with some pressure to hit the jugs machine and a few of AR's dropped-pass-glares he'd shape up into a possibly Jordy replacement (in '19 or '20.)
- Jared Odrick is a head-case and don't wish to see him in GB.
- Yes! to any/all of your OLB's.
- CB's, yes to Joseph & Kirkpatrick if not bank-breakers. No on House, good guy but we've seen his ceiling, already.

I didn't know that about Odrick, but if true then obviously they can go find someone comparable who doesn't have that problem.

I'm not sure that we've seen House's ceiling any more than we've seen Kirkpatrick's. They basically the same age. I'd be fine with any of them.

Ted Thompson's Mind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Decisions are never easy this time of year. For example: which pair of brand new, pristine-white New Balance sneakers should I wear today?

D

Deleted member 6794

With the tags applied and free agency on the horizon, here are the veterans that catch my eye. I'm just listing any and all players that I find interesting or potentially providing a value. I am well aware that there are certain positions that are of greater need, so I don't need to be reminded of that (looking at you Cap). I'm also not advocating that they all be signed. These guys are obviously in addition to the Packer players that I would like them to retain (in order, Lang, Hyde, Cook, Lacy, Jones, Peppers).

Running Backs:
  • L. Murray, Oakland: If the market is really soft for backs as reported and Murray can be had at a bargain rate, I'd like his potential as a compliment to Montgomery. He doesn't have the greatest vision or instincts, but he's an athletic player who can bring some thump between the tackles.
  • A. Morris, Dallas: If Dallas cuts Morris, as has been reported as a possibility, I'd jump on him as a between the tackles runner to add to the backfield.
Wide Receiver:
  • K. Wright, Tennessee: Wright has never quite lived up to the 1st round investment, but he's still a talented player with big play potential who I think could pay off with a change of scenery.
  • R. Woods, Buffalo: Woods is a quality route runner and possession receiver who is still very young (24). His skill set has never really fit with what the Bills have tried to do on offense, but I do believe he could surprise in a system that better fits his abilities.
  • M. Goodwin, Buffalo: One of the fastest players in the league at only 26, Goodwin could bring a deep threat element to the offense that it currently lacks at a rate far cheaper than players like Torrey Smith, Desean Jackson, or Kenny Stills will command.
Tight End:
  • A. Fasano, TEN: If they don't resign Cook, then I would like to see them sign a different veteran and draft one of these talented rookies. Fasano is probably the best blocker on the market, and the Packers really don't have a TE who can block.
  • R. Ellison, MIN: Same concept as above. Ellison doesn't block as well in-line, but he's a good lead blocker and is significantly younger.
Offensive Line:
  • B. Schwenke, C/G, TEN: This league is starved for quality OL play, meaning that there isn't much of a supply on the market, but the one guy I would be interested in is Schwenke because he's a serviceable player at both center and guard and young enough that he may improve with a change of scenery.
Defensive Line:
  • Jared Odrick, DE, JAX: With a weak DL class, it would be nice to see them add a veteran piece to the DL rotation. Odrick has some skills in both facets and can still be a productive player on limited snaps.
  • Tyson Alualu, DE, JAX: Same concept as above.
  • Stephen Paea, DE, CLE: Same concept as above.
Inside Linebacker:
  • Sio Moore, ARI: I don't think they're going to look to spend on a starting ILB with Ryan and Martinez at least theoretically growing into their roles. They have a backup WILL in Thomas, but no MIKE behind Ryan. Moore can be that guy and offers a little OLB versatility too.
Outside Linebacker:
  • John Simon, HOU: A strong rotational pass rusher who plays stout run defense. He might offer more in an expanded role. Spending ~8M on him might prove to be much smarter money than 15+M on Perry.
  • Connor Barwin, PHI: If Barwin is cut as is expected, he could be a nice rotational pass rusher with a versatile skillset to work into the mix.
  • Alex Okafor, ARI: A promising pass rusher early in his career, Okafor took a step backwards in 2015 and then play through an injury in 2016. There could be upside there.
  • Corey Lemonier, NYJ: A promising talent who fizzled in SF and then NY, I wouldn't mind giving him a spot on the 90 man and see what he can do in camp.
Cornerback:
  • Davon House, JAX: There is always risk with free agents, but at least in House this staff knows he can play capably in their scheme. He's still pretty young.
  • Dre Kirkpatrick, CIN: A solid boundary corner, Kirkpatrick is best off playing press man which he would do plenty of in GB.
  • Johnathan Joseph, HOU: This one is further out there and less certain than other projected cuts, but if a resigning of Bouye in Houson means Joseph is gone, then I'd like them to bring in the veteran as a temporary CB1.
Safety:
  • Daimion Stafford, TEN: A surprise contributor last season, Stafford could have more to offer at SS.

Most of the guys you listed are average players at best who wouldn't significantly improve the talent level on the Packers roster. The ones I might be interested in are Latavius Murray (who is excellent in pass protection as well), Sio Moore and John Simon.

Latest posts