Let's Play General Manager...What should Ted Thompson do?

D

Deleted member 6794

As the smoke of the "frenzy" clears and things begin to slow down, here is what I'd like to see from the Packers.

RB: I would like them to tender a 1 year, incentive laden deal to Lacy (if they haven't already). If someone prices them out, no need to get into a bidding war for this guy. Should he leave, I'd look to the Cowboys to see if they cut Alfred Morris and bring him in as a btw. the tackles pounder to compliment Montgomery and a rookie.

TE: I am still hoping they stay in the mix for Cook so that they keep that pass catching threat while they draft and develop one of these several exciting prospects. Should he leave, I would probably add a low end veteran to fill out the position like Lance Kendricks or Ryan Griffin.

OL: Of course I'd love to have Lang back, but they have to be careful about size and length of contract for a near 30 year old guard with hip issues. If a desperate team like the Seahawks outbids them, I would look at a couple of C/G versatile players to compete in camp with a rookie: Stefen Wisniewski and Brian Schwenke.

DL
: I'd love for them to cut Guion and bring in a strong run defending 34DE like Lawrence Guy to replace him. Damion Square is a NT/DE versatile player who could bring some value as a depth/rotational player.

OLB: After signing Perry, they'd be ok to stand pat but Connor Barwin could still be added to supplement the position with an experienced and versatile presence.

ILB: I would still like a veteran presence here as they are really young at the position. Sio Moore is still my pick as a MIKE to back up Ryan.

CB: I still really like the idea of bringing House back given his age and how he played in Capers' defense. IF (and I realize it's an "if") he came back and was comparable to his 2014 self, he could end up being the best value of the offseason at the position.

Wisniewski signed with the Eagles today and Guy is visiting with the Ravens.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Surely I'll be roundly criticized and ridiculed for this, but, here goes anyway:

WR Corey Coleman was a bit of a disappointment in CLE last year. Only a rookie, so, surely he'll get more time, however...

The Patriots are rumored to be squeezing CLE for Garoppolo. And, the Browns just showed a willingness to eat other people's contracts (Osweiler), so....

Maybe the Browns would like to tell Belichick to take a hike by trying out Brett Hundley at QB for a year or two.

Browns get Hundley and WR Cobb from the Packers straight up for WR Coleman. Maybe TT throws in a 4th or 5th round pick to get the deal done.

Browns can run with Hundley this season and a WR he knows in Cobb plus they eat Cobb's contract this year. The draft is loaded at QB next year, so, they see how Hundley does this season and they are still able to take a QB round one next year (this year, too, if they want). They don't have to put all their eggs in the Garoppolo basket either.

(Hundley also is familiar with the Browns' new C Tretter. Just saying.)

Cobb isn't some bum and can easily put up 900-to-1,000 yds, so, they aren't taking a total loss by losing Coleman at WR.

The Packers free up some cap space and add some much needed speed to their offense and allow Nelson to work the slot more with Adams, Allison and Coleman outside (of course, Coleman can surely play some slot, too).

O.K., bring on the pitchforks.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Of the names remaining, I'd still be interested in:

Brandon Carr: Experienced veteran corner and solid starter (Note, Cap, I'm saying the following: he's not a true #1, we need a true #1; he's not a true #1, we need a true #1; he's not a true #1, we need a true #1).

Lardarius Webb: S/CB versatile DB with Hyde like skillset.

Jared Odrick: Rotational DL depth.

Johnathan Hankins or Bennie Logan: Stout nose tackles who could provide value as the market winds down.

Connor Barwin: Versatile veteran 34OLB to bring into the rotation.

Tim Lelito or Brian Schwenke: Versatile interior OL still young enough to offer some developmental potential.

Brandon Fusco: A once promising guard who floundered after being extended. Could he rebound moving from a team that can't coach OL to one that's quite good at it? It might be worth a little money to find out the answer to that question.

Sio Moore or Kevin Minter: Veteran MIKE linebacker depth.

Worth nothing that of the names listed, Webb, Odrick, Barwin, and Fusco would not count against the Packers in determining compensatory picks.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surely I'll be roundly criticized and ridiculed for this, but, here goes anyway:

WR Corey Coleman was a bit of a disappointment in CLE last year. Only a rookie, so, surely he'll get more time, however...

The Patriots are rumored to be squeezing CLE for Garoppolo. And, the Browns just showed a willingness to eat other people's contracts (Osweiler), so....

Maybe the Browns would like to tell Belichick to take a hike by trying out Brett Hundley at QB for a year or two.

Browns get Hundley and WR Cobb from the Packers straight up for WR Coleman. Maybe TT throws in a 4th or 5th round pick to get the deal done.

Browns can run with Hundley this season and a WR he knows in Cobb plus they eat Cobb's contract this year. The draft is loaded at QB next year, so, they see how Hundley does this season and they are still able to take a QB round one next year (this year, too, if they want). They don't have to put all their eggs in the Garoppolo basket either.

Cobb isn't some bum and can easily put up 900-to-1,000 yds, so, they aren't taking a total loss by losing Coleman at WR.

The Packers free up some cap space and add some much needed speed to their offense and allow Nelson to work the slot more with Adams, Allison and Coleman outside (of course, Coleman can surely play some slot, too).

No pitch fork. But if your looking to flip Hundley to the Browns just take a 3rd round pick and call it a day.

And if you think they're interested in Cobb I'd rather just trade him strait up for Hayden rather then swapping him for Coleman

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
No pitch fork. But if your looking to flip Hundley to the Browns just take a 3rd round pick and call it a day.

And if you think they're interested in Cobb I'd rather just trade him strait up for Hayden rather then swapping him for Coleman

Your comments are logical and practical. Can't argue at all with your point of view.

My thinking is that CLE is now employing a money ball strategy, so, my approach allows them to acquire a legitimate QB prospect by making a somewhat lateral move between Cobb and Coleman and keeping their 3rd round pick (which I assume they value higher than the former CLE management did).

My other assumption is the Packers feel comfortable drafting a CB in the 1st round to solve that problem (mitigating the desire for Hayden), and dumping Cobb's salary allows 'born-again-FA-addict-TT' to sign Barwin (and Bennie Logan or Lativius Murray?)

Perhaps I just overrate Coleman's prospects of turning into a DeSean Jackson type of speed WR that the Packers lack right now (yeah, I'm not waiting on Davis or Janis) . So, maybe I'm reaching, I will admit that for sure.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

I'm not buying that Cleveland is ready to move on from him yet.
Coleman was drawing some loose Odell Beckham comparisons coming out of Baylor. If Pryor leaves as a free agent, Coleman will be the locked-in No. 1.
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/11278/corey-coleman
Same source:
Corey Coleman has been accused of "felonious assault" in a Dec. 31 incident.
&
Per reporter Mary Kay Cabot via a source, Coleman's friend and brother might have been involved. There's also reports that a video exists that will help clear the Browns receiver. Coleman has strenuously denied any wrongdoing.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your comments are logical and practical. Can't argue at all with your point of view.

My thinking is that CLE is now employing a money ball strategy, so, my approach allows them to acquire a legitimate QB prospect by making a somewhat lateral move between Cobb and Coleman and keeping their 3rd round pick (which I assume they value higher than the former CLE management did).

My other assumption is the Packers feel comfortable drafting a CB in the 1st round to solve that problem (mitigating the desire for Hayden), and dumping Cobb's salary allows 'born-again-FA-addict-TT' to sign Barwin (and Bennie Logan or Lativius Murray?)

Perhaps I just overrate Coleman's prospects of turning into a DeSean Jackson type of speed WR that the Packers lack right now (yeah, I'm not waiting on Davis or Janis) . So, maybe I'm reaching, I will admit that for sure.
I like the move for Cleveland. But I highly value Hundley. I also think Coleman is a stud. Basicly GB high grades Coleman , an elite talent ,for a legit qb prospect in a dak Prescott market. And Cobb, a legit wr play maker. Meanwhile we have tolzien to groom at qb as a consolation prize.
Maybe should have offered it before prior left for redskins tho.

If I was making the call. I'd sign AP, Poe,And Revis. Draft a couple good olinemen and a rb early. First round dlineman. And a slew of cover CBs later. Surely one will surprise.

Add that much former all pro mojo to the two new TEs. Our CBs and Mathew's get healthy, along with Montgomery. A Ted Thompson rookie class. And we do great things.

D

Deleted member 6794

In my opinion there's no reason for the Packers to get rid of Cobb. In addition trading Hundley would possibly leave the team with a need at backup quarterback.

Thompson addressing cornerback and outside linebacker in free agency or via trade would allow him to spend an early round pick on a receiver though.

Of the names remaining, I'd still be interested in:

Brandon Carr: Experienced veteran corner and solid starter (Note, Cap, I'm saying the following: he's not a true #1, we need a true #1; he's not a true #1, we need a true #1; he's not a true #1, we need a true #1).

What's the point of signing Carr then though??? It's really not that hard to understand the Packers don't need another mediocre cornerback.

The Packers have enough cap space to sign another outside linebacker as well as a cornerback without having to release a player to dump salary.

Meanwhile we have tolzien to groom at qb as a consolation prize.

Tolzien signed with the Colts last offseason and is still under contract with Indy. The Packers currently have Joe Callahan on the roster as well.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It appears to me at this point that the Packers only path to secure a #1 CB at this point is either via trade or the draft.
Although I view a trade is unlikely, I would not be opposed to a trade package which includes Hundley and /or Cobb plus draft picks to secure a #1 CB.
I would be satisfied with Callahan and another developmental QB backing up Rodgers since most of us know that if Rodgers goes down (Hundley or no Hundley) we are toast anyway.
IMO Cobb is replaceable with a player already on our roster.
Something relatively drastic needs to be done to shore up our defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

It appears to me at this point that the Packers only path to secure a #1 CB at this point is either via trade or the draft.

If the Packers don't deem any of the cornerbacks still available in free agency worthy of being a #1 cornerback the team should acquire one via trade as most draft picks at the position take several years to develop.

D

Deleted member 6794

BTW with Butler being a restricted free agent who has been tendered by the Patriots Thompson could sign him to an offer sheet as well. The Packers would have to give up a first round pick to acquire him in case New England didn't match it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In my opinion there's no reason for the Packers to get rid of Cobb. In addition trading Hundley would possibly leave the team with a need at backup quarterback.

Thompson addressing cornerback and outside linebacker in free agency or via trade would allow him to spend an early round pick on a receiver though.

What's the point of signing Carr then though??? It's really not that hard to understand the Packers don't need another mediocre cornerback.

The Packers have enough cap space to sign another outside linebacker as well as a cornerback without having to release a player to dump salary.

Tolzien signed with the Colts last offseason and is still under contract with Indy. The Packers currently have Joe Callahan on the roster as well.

The point is that a competent starter would help even if they were not the final solution. Because for large swaths of the season it wasn't just that the Packers lacked a #1 but were good otherwise. They really lacked competent cornerback play in general. I've explained this at least a dozen times. And yet every time it's suggested that we sign one of the remaining UFA's, I get the "???" treatment like it's some big mystery.

D

Deleted member 6794

The point is that a competent starter would help even if they were not the final solution. Because for large swaths of the season it wasn't just that the Packers lacked a #1 but were good otherwise. They really lacked competent cornerback play in general. I've explained this at least a dozen times. And yet every time it's suggested that we sign one of the remaining UFA's, I get the "???" treatment like it's some big mystery.

Randall and Rollins both performed on a significant better level with a veteran #1 cornerback on the field in Shields. I don't believe adding another mediocre player to the mix would result in the same improvement by any of them.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the longer TT "waits" the lower the prices drop? Mid-priced vets who still have something in the tank, and hopefully a little chip on their shoulder about still being FA's. I'd love to see TT sign, at some point in the next 2 weeks:
OLB - Connor Barwin
WR - Justin Hunter
CB - Morris Claiborn

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Randall and Rollins both performed on a significant better level with a veteran #1 cornerback on the field in Shields. I don't believe adding another mediocre player to the mix would result in the same improvement by any of them.

Yeah I get it. There's no doubt that a #1 cornerback would help more than anything. We can check that box.

But you're saying that being in a position to put solid, pro players on the field vs practice squad fodder wouldn't lead to better results on defense?

Someone like House or Claiborne or Carr wouldn't help on the field more than Gunter or Goodson?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
We just need to get a little better here and a Claiborne signing could tilt us that way. An improvement from 32ND to top 20 would do wonders as to defending the pass.

I understand there is still time but right now the defense looks worse then last year on paper.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We just need to get a little better here and a Claiborne signing could tilt us that way. An improvement from 32ND to top 20 would do wonders as to defending the pass.

I understand there is still time but right now the defense looks worse then last year on paper.

Claiborne is reported to be signing with the Ravens

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW with Butler being a restricted free agent who has been tendered by the Patriots Thompson could sign him to an offer sheet as well. The Packers would have to give up a first round pick to acquire him in case New England didn't match it.
I would be fine with the Packers giving up a first round pick to gain a #1 caliber CB since Thompson historically doesn't do well with his 1st round picks.