Rodgers Contract

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Now, if you think there could be a double-secret verbal handshake deal that nobody knows about for pay after football, you'd best think hard about the implicatons of that. It would never happen.
So your wife/gf wants to be a model? I have friends that will help her career. If that fails, the team could use her for publicity things at $$$$ per event. Interested?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah, the old Brett-Favre-goes-to-the-PR-department for $10 million, like the no-show job some alderman got for somebody's brother-in-law?

The thing about the Favre situation is they were going to do that if he retired. It was not going to be done in conjunction with a playing contract.

You better check whether signing a playing contract along with a personal services contract paid out many years in the furture would pass league and CBA muster.

It would blatently circumvent the rationalle behind the salary cap structure. It would be like a deferred signing bonus that never goes against the cap.

If this was legal I think we would have seen it by now with somebody. It would be a cap free lunch. The cap structure has been honed and refined with every CBA over the years to eliminat all free lunches.

Now, if you think there could be a double-secret verbal handshake deal that nobody knows about for pay after football, you'd best think hard about the implicatons of that. It would never happen.

Maybe the Packers could take out glacier insurance on Lambeau field with a premium of 30 million and then State farm can make a few more commercials and pay Rodgers 30 million to be in them.

H

HardRightEdge

So your wife/gf wants to be a model? I have friends that will help her career. If that fails, the team could use her for publicity things at $$$$ per event. Interested?
Are you that photographer who wanted her to do hand modeling years ago? If so, you're a weirdo if you didn't already know that. :whistling:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, the old Brett-Favre-goes-to-the-PR-department for $10 million, like the no-show job some alderman got for somebody's brother-in-law?

The thing about the Favre situation is they were going to do that if he retired. It was not going to be done in conjunction with a playing contract.

You better check whether signing a playing contract along with a personal services contract paid out many years in the furture would pass league and CBA muster.

It would blatently circumvent the rationalle behind the salary cap structure. It would be like a deferred signing bonus that never goes against the cap.

If this was legal I think we would have seen it by now with somebody. It would be a cap free lunch. The cap structure has been honed and refined with every CBA over the years to eliminat all free lunches.

1st it wasn't Brett, it was the Packers that started it. Andrew Brandt had a big write up on it

2..it was 20 million.

3..It was while he was still under under contract. He was approached during playoffs in 2007 2008 .

Never said it was a signed contract with Rodgers, you assumed it.. But could it be nudge nudge? Possibly?

Just like not to long ago, teams weren't allowed to contact fa, yet it happened. Now they can talk and agree b4 the new league year.

If it happens or not, don't really care, just something I was hearing

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

1st it wasn't Brett, it was the Packers that started it. Andrew Brandt had a big write up on it

2..it was 20 million.

3..It was while he was still under under contract. He was approached during playoffs in 2007 2008 .

Never said it was a signed contract with Rodgers, you assumed it.. But could it be nudge nudge? Possibly?

Just like not to long ago, teams weren't allowed to contact fa, yet it happened. Now they can talk and agree b4 the new league year.

If it happens or not, don't really care, just something I was hearing
Of course the Packers started it, otherwise Favre would have retired and taken the deal. By the way, who started it does not matter. The amount is irrelvant. And it doesn't matter that Favre was under contract to play at the time. Had he agreed to take the PR job, his playing contract would have been terminated.

Of course it could not be a signed post-play contract, "nudge, nudge". I explained why. It could only be a vague promise. But since the implication is that future non-football pay is in lieu of football pay, it would be a clear vioation of cap rules.

If the parties agreed to break the rules, the last hurdle is that Rodgers would have to be idiot. He's not, though. When the time came to collect, Murphy might not be around. Or he could break the deal with Rodgers having no recourse. "No, Aaron, that's not what we agreed to."

Remember that time when men were men and a handshake was their bond? It never existed. It's a recipe for getting screwed. Only idiots do that.

Oh, so it was something you heard? I hear stuff every day that's total nonsense. Guys get paid to fill the air or fill pages every day. They have to say stuff even it's nonsense. It's a good thing you do not care.

Last edited by a moderator:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Of course the Packers started it, otherwise Favre would have retired and taken the deal. By the way, who started it does not matter. The amount is irrelvant. And it doesn't matter that Favre was under contract to play at the time. Had he agreed to take the PR job, his playing contract would have been terminated.

Of course it could not be a signed post-play contract, "nudge, nudge". I explained why. It could only be a vague promise. But since the implication is that future non-football pay is in lieu of football pay, it would be a clear vioation of cap rules.

If the parties agreed to break the rules, the last hurdle is that Rodgers would have to be idiot. He's not, though. When the time came to collect, Murphy might not be around. Or he could break the deal with Rodgers having no recourse. "No, Aaron, that's not what we agreed to."

Remember that time when men were men and a handshake was their bond? It never existed. It's a recipe for getting screwed. Only idiots do that.

Oh, so it was something you heard? I hear stuff every day that's total nonsense. Guys get paid to fill the air or fill pages every day. They have to say stuff even it's nonsense. It's a good thing you do not care.
you hear from guys paid to fill air or pages.

I hear from others ;)

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
This is a really intriguing topic to me. Packers have approximately 19 million in cap space. 6-7 million of which should be held for rookie contracts. That leaves us with around 12-13 million. Aaron’s current contract is only a 20.5 million dollar hit this year. If his contract is restructured this year, we are likely looking at a 4 year 135 million dollar contract. 20.5 million is already against the cap, then the rest of the salary cap goes directly to Rodgers to get him to around 32.5 million this year. Packers fans clearly are in crisis mode if no top tier CB is signed. Well, we cannot financially sign or trade for a top level CB if Rodgers contract gets restructured this year. Would Rodgers take a team friendly deal to get back to a Super Bowl?

Next year we have an alarming # of free agents. Ones we have to resign (as of now):
1. Haha Clinton Dix
2. Jake Ryan
3. Kentrall Brice OR Marwin Evans
4. McCray

Free agents we MAY need to resign or move on from, pending their seasons this year:
1. Mo Wilkerson
2. Randall Cobb
3. Geronimo Allison
4. CM3
5. Reggie Gilbert
6. Michael Clark

Looking at fianances next year, we only have an estimated 60 million in cap space. There is no way we can get all that done, with a Rodgers deal of ~34 million against the cap next year.

So my ultimate point is this:

Why would we restructure Aaron Rodgers, when we have two budget friendly years ahead that we need to be budget friendly, right now? I get that it will lock him up into the future, but in two years Rodgers will be 36. I get he is playing at an insane level and is nowhere near being “done.” I personally think we should hold out until September of next year to give him that contract extension.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at this point, Evans and Brice aren't going to be breaking any banks. I love Brice, but he's never stayed healthy to know just what he can or can't do consistently. Evans, we can get lots better, we can get worse too. he's a decent guy to have, but hardly irreplaceable. Jake Ryan is just a guy as far as i'm concerned. didn't think he'd do much, then had hope and now am resigned to the fact that he's just an average later midround pick. he can be replaced. Clinton Dix better have a huge bounce back season or he falls in a slightly higher bracket than Ryan, but still nothing to lose sleep over.

We'll see on Wilkerson, Cobb, Allison thus far won't be breaking any banks either. Clark and Gilbert are a little unknown. We'll see. I thought Gilbert should have made the 53 out of training camp last year, so I saw potential there. but then he was cut on and on PS until the end of the season and then looked like he had some potential again. I hope he and Clark make it a very tough decision after this year though. and still I'm not in a hurry to lock Rodgers up. Sometime this year or next is fine. i'm not worried until then

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now, if you think there could be a double-secret verbal handshake deal that nobody knows about for pay after football, you'd best think hard about the implicatons of that

That's ridiculous. Everyone knows it's a triple secret verbal handshake.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers could circumvent the rules regarding the salary cap a bit by offering Rodgers huge per-game active bonuses as the cap charge for per-game bonuses is based on games active the prior season.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would we restructure Aaron Rodgers, when we have two budget friendly years ahead that we need to be budget friendly, right now? I get that it will lock him up into the future, but in two years Rodgers will be 36. I get he is playing at an insane level and is nowhere near being “done.” I personally think we should hold out until September of next year to give him that contract extension.
I wholeheartedly agree with this!
There is absolutely no need to make Rodgers the highest paid player in league history at this point in time when we have so many holes to fill.
I would rather see the Packers have him play out the remainder of his current contract and decide his worth at that time.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wholeheartedly agree with this!
There is absolutely no need to make Rodgers the highest paid player in league history at this point in time when we have so many holes to fill.
I would rather see the Packers have him play out the remainder of his current contract and decide his worth at that time.

The Packers definitely don't want Rodgers to get anywhere close to becoming a free agent as re-signing him at that point would become even more expensive. There's also a worst case scenario in which #12 might want to test free agency at that point.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers could circumvent the rules regarding the salary cap a bit by offering Rodgers huge per-game active bonuses as the cap charge for per-game bonuses is based on games active the prior season.
I believe per game roster bonuses are treated as "likely to be earned" incentives and count against the cap. This is a fairly common type of bonus. If it were not counted against the current year we'd see teams over the cap once the season starts with the cap hit deferred but we do not see that. The cash money payment may be deferred but I see no evidence the cap is deferred.

Anyway, it's not something I would expect Rodgers to accept. If he gets hurt he doesn't get paid? We've got pundits talking about a fully guaranteed contract. As ludicrous as that may be, it's an indication of the franchise QB contract landscape.

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe per game roster bonuses are treated as "likely to be earned" incentives and count against the cap. This is a fairly common type of bonus. If it were not counted against the current year we'd see teams over the cap once the season starts with the cap hit deferred but we do not see that. The cash money payment may be deferred but I see no evidence the cap is deferred.

Anyway, it's not something I would expect Rodgers to accept. If he gets hurt he doesn't get paid? We've got pundits talking about a fully guaranteed contract. As ludicrous as that may be, it's an indication of the franchise QB contract landscape.

Rodgers is likely to play seven games this season because he missed nine in 2017. Therefore per-game active bonuses wouldn't count against the cap starting with #12 playing in his eighth game this season.

It's definitely possible Rodgers wouldn't agree to a structure like that though.

H

HardRightEdge

Rodgers is likely to play seven games this season because he missed nine in 2017. Therefore per-game active bonuses wouldn't count against the cap starting with #12 playing in his eighth game this season.
If that's the case, this is the ultimate "win now" approach. Since you would expect him to play 16 games even if the league does not, the temporary cap savings now would need to be paid at the end of the season. If you spent that cap now, you're in a bigger bind come 2019. Of course, if by chance Rodgers were to be injured again you'd save a chunck of cap in unpaid bonuses but then you're not winning anything in 2018 making all this spending on "win now" guys would have been a waste.

We agree the point is moot because nobody of this calibre will agree to that structure.

D

Deleted member 6794

If that's the case, this is the ultimate "win now" approach. Since you would expect him to play 16 games even if the league does not, the temporary cap savings now would need to be paid at the end of the season. If you spent that cap now, you're in a bigger bind come 2019. Of course, if by chance Rodgers were to be injured again you'd save a chunck of cap in unpaid bonuses but then you're not winning anything in 2018 making all this spending on "win now" guys would have been a waste.

We agree the point is moot because nobody of this calibre will agree to that structure.

The cap savings by structuring the contract that way wouldn't be temporary though if the Packers only include those bonuses for the 2018 season. As an example, the team would save a total of $11.25 million of cap space by paying Rodgers a total of $20 million per-game active bonuses next season.

While it's unrealistic to expect Rodgers to agree to such a contract Sam Bradford did with the Cardinals this offseason. That's how I took notice of the possibility.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers only playing in seven games last season could actually end up being a blessing in disguise for the Packers when negotiating an extension with him. Gutekunst and Ball might be able to structure the contract in a way that at least part of the signing bonus #12 would receive could be converted into bonuses for playing time, passing yards and touchdown passes. Based on last years numbers the team could pay him those bonuses if Rodgers plays in eight games and throws for more 1,675 yards and 16 touchdowns without the money counting against the cap.

H

HardRightEdge

The cap savings by structuring the contract that way wouldn't be temporary though if the Packers only include those bonuses for the 2018 season. As an example, the team would save a total of $11.25 million of cap space by paying Rodgers a total of $20 million per-game active bonuses next season.

While it's unrealistic to expect Rodgers to agree to such a contract Sam Bradford did with the Cardinals this offseason. That's how I took notice of the possibility.
I'm not sure of your logic here. Unlikely to be earned bonues count against the cap at the end of the season if earned. I'm not seeing a loophole here. Note the final paragraph in the following piece: https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2018/3/19/17139876/sam-bradford-contract-2018-arizona-cardinals

Pay now or pay later if the guy stays healthy.

Team logic behind this provision in Bradford's contract stems from the fact the guy has a long history of injury and his actually playing 16 games is a risky proposition. The game day bonuses are a partial team protection against the risk.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure of your logic here. Unlikely to be earned bonues count against the cap at the end of the season if earned. I'm not seeing a loophole here. Note the final paragraph in the following piece: https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2018/3/19/17139876/sam-bradford-contract-2018-arizona-cardinals

Pay now or pay later if the guy stays healthy.

Team logic behind this provision in Bradford's contract stems from the fact the guy has a long history of injury and his actually playing 16 games is a risky proposition. The game day bonuses are a partial team protection against the risk.

If he earns the money it counts against the cap. It just depends on when it counts. This year or next year.

As far as signing him now it does 2 things. It locks him up long term on a deal that will ultimately be cheaper than if we waited. Say Matt Ryan signs for 32 million a year next year That would put 32 as the new benchmark. Then when Cam signs for 34 ... you get the idea. Also, by extending him now you can reduce his cap hit this year when we need it and possibly even next year. If we wait for 2 years its likely that his first year cap hit will be significantly higher than it will be with an extension now. It also gives AR peace of mind by getting rid of a big distraction.

The only legit reason for not doing it now is if the powers that be think it may be time to move on from #12 in 2 years.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Rodgers only playing in seven games last season could actually end up being a blessing in disguise for the Packers when negotiating an extension with him. Gutekunst and Ball might be able to structure the contract in a way that at least part of the signing bonus #12 would receive could be converted into bonuses for playing time, passing yards and touchdown passes. Based on last years numbers the team could pay him those bonuses if Rodgers plays in eight games and throws for more 1,675 yards and 16 touchdowns without the money counting against the cap.
Any Rodgers contract that includes team protection against less than 100% recovery would be very bad news. That would mean the team is suspect of his full recovery and Rodgers couldn't persuade them otherwise.

H

HardRightEdge

If he earns the money it counts against the cap. It just depends on when it counts. This year or next year.
That is the point I have been making over several posts. It also applies to Wilkerson's "unlikely to be earned" incentives if he actually earns them. Pay me now, i.e, charged against the cap in 2018, or pay me later, i.e. charged against the cap in 2019 if the incentive is actually earned.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is the point I have been making over several posts. It also applies to Wilkerson's "unlikely to be earned" incentives if he actually earns them. Pay me now, i.e, charged against the cap in 2018, or pay me later, i.e. charged against the cap in 2019 if the incentive is actually earned.

Right. I was trying help by emphasizing your point. I should have replied to WIMM to avoid the confusion.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that I believe much of what I hear the talking heads on ESPN say... but I happened to catch someone say that they thought Rodgers may be waiting out Matt Ryan .... I too would prefer the Packers get a deal done early but it may not be up to them. Rodgers is a smart guy and I'm sure he knows his value. Unfortunately he may not be willing to sign anything right now.

ClaysSecondWife

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the reasons stated by other posters earlier, let's hope he waits out Matty Ice. When it comes right down to it, we are fortunate enough to have the best player in the league, and that unfortunately means we need to pay him as such. For now, though, we're still paying him far less than he's worth on a budget friendly contract and (finally, no thanks to Ted the Terrible) perhaps truly building another championship caliber team around him. I'd like to see that continue, pending the draft of course, and I don't think holding out until late next summer to lock him down would be by any means a bad idea.

Members online

Latest posts