Rodgers should get play calling duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Manning has never called his own game.....Rodgers shouldn't ever as well.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers called 1/2 a game for GB. Flynn at QB, the offense threw for 480 yds and 6 TDs...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously? I need a history lesson? I think the reality is, you are stuck in the old days.
Yes, seriously. maybe YouTube jerry rice the next time you think a guy who played on an 0-16 team is the best ever.

How old are you?

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So being 0-16 is everything, But 2000 yds in a season individually, is nothing?
How old are you? How old is dirt?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
You think you can get you group together and black ball me with your demeaning comments? I can call it like it is if you want? You guys have no creativity. Stuck in the box. Band wagon thinkers that stick to the safe status quo. and change your answers AFTER the trail blazers do the real work. I know my answers arent safe. But safe is old and lame. Nothing will come of safe. New breaks the mold, and you guys dont know new until you read it from someone else...

Point being. If the coaches wanted to hand over play calling duties to their field general. They could fins a way. A language they could understand to complete the task. We would be new and in my opinion, it would make us faster, more plays and better...
Is this you being “mean”? :D BTW, who is “my group” and how in the world would I get you black balled? It’s one thing to post innovative ideas, it’s another to throw ideas against the wall and see what sticks. And it’s one thing to debate substantive points, and another to act like a victim.

My response to your OP was substantive: There are real obstacles to a QB being the play caller. Peyton Manning has been on the forefront of QBs in command of their offense and even he hasn’t been the play caller. What was your response? If the coaches wanted to do it, ‘they could find a way’. That’s not an answer: How could they find a way? For example, on a play in which Rodgers was sacked, he would have to quickly determine down and distance, then decide on the play, then he would have to call for substitutions. And how does that speed up the offense? Actually having a coach call the plays and make the substitutions speeds up the offense.

BTW, does it really have to be pointed out that Rodgers calling the plays for another QB is different than calling plays as QB?

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this you being “mean”? :D BTW, who is “my group” and how in the world would I get you black balled? It’s one thing to post innovative ideas, it’s another to throw ideas against the wall and see what sticks. And it’s one thing to debate substantive points, and another to act like a victim.

My response to your OP was substantive: There are real obstacles to a QB being the play caller. Peyton Manning has been on the forefront of QBs in command of their offense and even he hasn’t been the play caller. What was your response? If the coaches wanted to do it, ‘they could find a way’. That’s not an answer: How could they find a way? For example, on a play in which Rodgers was sacked, he would have to quickly determine down and distance, then decide on the play, then he would have to call for substitutions. And how does that speed up the offense? Actually having a coach call the plays and make the substitutions speeds up the offense.

BTW, does it really have to be pointed out that Rodgers calling the plays for another QB is different than calling plays as QB?
Im saying the good ol boys calling my "get mean" comment funny. The same guys that got their head stuck in the box. You say Im throwing ideas against the wall to see what sticks? I give legitimate points to back up all my ideas. YOU guys dont discredit my legitimate points. You call names, and state the most obvious answer... Its real easy to read articles and say we need ILB and CB, along with NT... But it takes creativity to think for yourself. See the Gordon move makes a great Offense better, and diversifies our ability to attack. Insurance for a RB that takes a beating. And leverage in contract talks. only 2 RBs worth a deuce on the roster... You ALL read the headline, and started picking, never once discrediting all the points i made... Im just throwing crap against the wall to see if it sticks... You guys need to learn to think. Not attack the people who do. ****** me off facing bullies.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Point being. If the coaches wanted to hand over play calling duties to their field general. They could fins a way. A language they could understand to complete the task. We would be new and in my opinion, it would make us faster, more plays and better...

Yes, if they wanted to they could find a way. They don't want to though because it is not a good idea.

Rodgers called 1/2 a game for GB. Flynn at QB, the offense threw for 480 yds and 6 TDs...

Two things. Did the offense really throw for 480 yards and 6 TDs in the 1/2 a game Rodgers called or did they get some of those yards and some of those TDs when McCarthy was calling the plays.

Second Rodgers had the benefit of sitting on the bench at the time. He didn't have to actually run the plays. He could call the play and start getting ready to call the next one while waiting for the results of the previous one. Once that play was over he could decide quickly on the best of a couple of options he already had decided upon. It gives the play caller options and time to make decisions. With the play clock the field general would have to call the play, run the play and wait to see the result and then decide which options he had and chose the best one. There is either not enough time or too many options to choose from efficiently.

Sorry TJV you said many of the same things while I was typing apparently. Good points though;)

Reactions: TJV
D

Deleted member 6794

Im saying the good ol boys calling my "get mean" comment funny. The same guys that got their head stuck in the box. You say Im throwing ideas against the wall to see what sticks? I give legitimate points to back up all my ideas. YOU guys dont discredit my legitimate points. You call names, and state the most obvious answer... Its real easy to read articles and say we need ILB and CB, along with NT... But it takes creativity to think for yourself. See the Gordon move makes a great Offense better, and diversifies our ability to attack. Insurance for a RB that takes a beating. And leverage in contract talks. only 2 RBs worth a deuce on the roster... You ALL read the headline, and started picking, never once discrediting all the points i made... Im just throwing crap against the wall to see if it sticks... You guys need to learn to think. Not attack the people who do. ****** me off facing bullies.

The problem with your ideas is that they're only legitimate in your mind. I'm still waiting for an answer to your plan on the defensive side of the ball if the Packers waste their first round pick on Gordon.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So being 0-16 is everything, But 2000 yds in a season individually, is nothing?
How old are you? How old is dirt?

It's not enough to call him the greatest wr of all time. 1 season doesn't make a career. His halfway done career if healthy probsbly doesn't even land him in the top 10 of all time, even if most think he'll finish in the top 5.

I'm 30, but again, how old are you?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see what you're saying, and not discounting anything anybody did that day, but it was "one of those games". The kind where none of the normal rules apply and if you played it again 10 times it would probably never come close to replicating what happened. Like The "Irv Favre" game against Oakland. Good team, good players, Great QB and it was obvious watching that game that things were just "different"

Rodgers has his finger on the pulse of this team. He is extremely smart, he's a very good quarterback and I think him calling that game was as much as keeping him mentally "on" to get ready for the playoffs rather than taking the week "off" like some players do when the playoffs are locked.

But he wasn't playing qb and calling the game. He was just calling plays. Not saying he couldn't do both fairly well, but I'm pretty certain that the long term output would see the offense worse off than letting those that coach, coach and letting Rodgers have the ability to call his shots when they tell him he can.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not enough to call him the greatest wr of all time. 1 season doesn't make a career. His halfway done career if healthy probsbly doesn't even land him in the top 10 of all time, even if most think he'll finish in the top 5.

I'm 30, but again, how old are you?
Oh so you never seen Hudson play? Well then. That is even more ridiculous. Only reason to think Hudson was a better WR than Megatron, is having lived your glory years during their glory years... You watched a documentary, listened to some old timers. Read a book, whatever... You base what you thinking on what others have said. I've personally seen Megatron own the #1 WR spot in the NFL since he got here. Ask any top tier WR out there, and the name each will compare himself to, is magatron... In the passing revolution, Megatron is #1... I liked Moss, and if he was half the profesional Megatron was, he wouldve been #1 probabally... But half Moss's career was a drama festival...

Anyways. I've been fighting this battle for years... YEARS! The writing is on the wall. And I have NO PROBLEM admiting I was wrong.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see what you're saying, and not discounting anything anybody did that day, but it was "one of those games". The kind where none of the normal rules apply and if you played it again 10 times it would probably never come close to replicating what happened. Like The "Irv Favre" game against Oakland. Good team, good players, Great QB and it was obvious watching that game that things were just "different"

Rodgers has his finger on the pulse of this team. He is extremely smart, he's a very good quarterback and I think him calling that game was as much as keeping him mentally "on" to get ready for the playoffs rather than taking the week "off" like some players do when the playoffs are locked.

But he wasn't playing qb and calling the game. He was just calling plays. Not saying he couldn't do both fairly well, but I'm pretty certain that the long term output would see the offense worse off than letting those that coach, coach and letting Rodgers have the ability to call his shots when they tell him he can.
Sounds like you are almost convinced:)

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with your ideas is that they're only legitimate in your mind. I'm still waiting for an answer to your plan on the defensive side of the ball if the Packers waste their first round pick on Gordon.
Thank you!!!!! WHAT IF??????????? Thats all I ask! :)
And to be honest. It would take a good draft. I think the 5 guys Burnett,Dix,Sheilds,Hayward, Hyde can handle the defense during transition. The thing we lose is dept. Which is where another high couple draft picks should be spent. Hayward/Hyde 2nd/4th we wouldnt miss a beat. But if we hit on one good rookie to add to our secondary, we will be good. ILB I've already said we have Peppers, Mathews, Perry, Neal, Elliot, Mulumba, and Hubbard. 7! At ILB we have Barrington, and Bradford... I say we move Mathews inside again. Add another mid rounder and late rounder. And let the best of the rest fight for the other starting spot... I like Barrington. At Nose we have two very good free agent options in Raji, and Guion. Curious to see if Pennel comes back better his 2nd year too. Add some mid/late picks there as well, and get at least one of the two free agents. We will be good... A great defensive coach makes a game plan to fit his talent. And we have talent. We have some good young D-linemen. We have a stable of pass rushers. And we have a secondary with a great core..... We have done good with much less...

Lets not forget. Wisconsin O-line or not, he almost broke Barry Sanders record..... He is really good.

I have a sort of man crush on Lacy. He is my hero. So dont think I just gave his carries away to just anyone... Like I said, its preserving Lacy for 4th quarter in Feb.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Im saying the good ol boys calling my "get mean" comment funny.
But it was funny: What would an attempt by you to “look mean” on an internet forum look like?
You say Im throwing ideas against the wall to see what sticks? I give legitimate points to back up all my ideas. YOU guys dont discredit my legitimate points. … never once discrediting all the points i made...
That’s not true – in this thread I and others have made points about how it is nearly impossible for a QB to direct substitutions and call plays and you have not responded to that.

Shortly after you started posting on this forum you bragged about how your great out-of-the-box ideas were trashed on another site and turned out to be true. As you continue to post, that is becoming more and more difficult to believe.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. One is injury, what the heck is Rodgers supposed to do if injured? Gets a concussion, oh there goes the QB and play caller. Two is its not practical, its juggling around too much, and lets say he gets pissed off at Lacy for a fumble, he can't pull Lacy from the game, and then decide not to hand it off. Not that Rodgers would do that, but as example. He is a player, and we have moved past the era where the coach is on the field.
You are right. Its a tough thing to try to pull off in the NFL.
But if we managed to pull off an advantage by handing over (even a portion) of the play calling to Rodgers. I doubt even a great team with a great QB could pull it off as well as our group who has been together 8 years... Advantage GB. And lets be real. If Rodgers goes down, we are fornicated anyways.

No more waiting for the call and no more penalties or wasted Timeouts.... I dont know. bad Idea maybe. But simplify by breaking the mold and giving the player the coaches job? Only a QB genius like Rodgers could prolly pull it off...

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh so you never seen Hudson play? Well then. That is even more ridiculous. Only reason to think Hudson was a better WR than Megatron, is having lived your glory years during their glory years... You watched a documentary, listened to some old timers. Read a book, whatever... You base what you thinking on what others have said. I've personally seen Megatron own the #1 WR spot in the NFL since he got here. Ask any top tier WR out there, and the name each will compare himself to, is magatron... In the passing revolution, Megatron is #1... I liked Moss, and if he was half the profesional Megatron was, he wouldve been #1 probabally... But half Moss's career was a drama festival...

Anyways. I've been fighting this battle for years... YEARS! The writing is on the wall. And I have NO PROBLEM admiting I was wrong.

It's difficult to compare players from way different eras with each other.

Hutson was the most dominant receiver during any period in league history though leading the league eight times in receptions, seven times in yards and nine times in TDs during an 11-year career.

When calling Megatron the greatest WR of all time keep in mind that Hutson has caught 25 more TD passes during his career than Calvin has so far.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could also start a different player at QB each week and take advantage of the fact that the opposing teams will have game planned for Rodgers and will be taken totally by surprise. I can just imagine the panic that would flood through the opposing teams when Brett Goode trots out on the field after the opening kickoff and takes his place under center. How could it go wrong especially if Rodgers was calling the plays. Now that my friend is thinking outside the box.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thank you!!!!! WHAT IF??????????? Thats all I ask! :)
And to be honest. It would take a good draft. I think the 5 guys Burnett,Dix,Sheilds,Hayward, Hyde can handle the defense during transition. The thing we lose is dept. Which is where another high couple draft picks should be spent. Hayward/Hyde 2nd/4th we wouldnt miss a beat. But if we hit on one good rookie to add to our secondary, we will be good. ILB I've already said we have Peppers, Mathews, Perry, Neal, Elliot, Mulumba, and Hubbard. 7! At ILB we have Barrington, and Bradford... I say we move Mathews inside again. Add another mid rounder and late rounder. And let the best of the rest fight for the other starting spot... I like Barrington. At Nose we have two very good free agent options in Raji, and Guion. Curious to see if Pennel comes back better his 2nd year too. Add some mid/late picks there as well, and get at least one of the two free agents. We will be good... A great defensive coach makes a game plan to fit his talent. And we have talent. We have some good young D-linemen. We have a stable of pass rushers. And we have a secondary with a great core..... We have done good with much less...

Lets not forget. Wisconsin O-line or not, he almost broke Barry Sanders record..... He is really good.

I have a sort of man crush on Lacy. He is my hero. So dont think I just gave his carries away to just anyone... Like I said, its preserving Lacy for 4th quarter in Feb.

I agree that the secondary lacks only one impact player, most likely someone capable of challenging Hayward for the starting spot opposite Shields.

As I've said repeatedly the ILB position is a complete mess and I wouldn't feel comfortable going into the season relying on several holdovers who haven't played a single regular season snap at the position.

While Raji and/or Guion (who will probably be suspended for some games) offer viable options the Packers first of all have to re-sign them. I still want Thompson to spend an early pick on a NT.

I expect Gordon to become a good RB in the league but with Lacy being a reliable three down back there's no need to spend a first round pick on him cause he won't get a lot of snaps in this offense.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You ducked my question of your age by asking me and I answered, so quit avoiding the question and answer it.

Fortunately you don't need to witness a player to know his greatness. don Hutson is the most dominate player in nfl history save for 1 or 2 depending on your view on a few things. i don't base that off of anything but facts, sorry your *** assumed otherwise.

megatron hasn't "owned the number 1 spot" since he got here. Number of times he has led the league in reception? 1. Number of times he has led the league in TDs. 1. Number of times he has led the league in yards? 2. Hardly dominate numbers. Sterling sharpe (Google him kid), was more dominate than that and he shared an era with jerry rice (you should probably look him up, or ask your dad).

You seem fixated on 2,000 yards in a season for Calvin. Yet don't seem to account for the modern passing era which puts an emphasis on passing more frequently making his numbers inflated in the context of history.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You ducked my question of your age by asking me and I answered, so quit avoiding the question and answer it.

Fortunately you don't need to witness a player to know his greatness. don Hutson is the most dominate player in nfl history save for 1 or 2 depending on your view on a few things. i don't base that off of anything but facts, sorry your *** assumed otherwise.

megatron hasn't "owned the number 1 spot" since he got here. Number of times he has led the league in reception? 1. Number of times he has led the league in TDs. 1. Number of times he has led the league in yards? 2. Hardly dominate numbers. Sterling sharpe (Google him kid), was more dominate than that and he shared an era with jerry rice (you should probably look him up, or ask your dad).

You seem fixated on 2,000 yards in a season for Calvin. Yet don't seem to account for the modern passing era which puts an emphasis on passing more frequently making his numbers inflated in the context of history.
Im 36 For what ever that matters. And to truly understand Don Hudson and his greatness, you need to have watched the football, and understood the nuances and intracate details of 1960's football. In todays football, would Don Hudson dominate? no. Calvin does. Has he reached his potential, no. Due to injuries. terrible team. And being the one and only offensive threat for years, he did great. I speculate if you ask his peers. The other dominant WRs in the league. They will all say Megatron first....

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
magatron wouldve gotten 100 points like Wilt Chamberlain if he played in Hudsons day against the guys Hudson played against.

i will leave it because I was talking about if i was drafting a team with any WR in history to choose from. I chose 6'5" 240 pound 4.35 40 Megatron...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im 36 For what ever that matters. And to truly understand Don Hudson and his greatness, you need to have watched the football, and understood the nuances and intracate details of 1960's football. In todays football, would Don Hudson dominate? no. Calvin does. Has he reached his potential, no. Due to injuries. terrible team. And being the one and only offensive threat for years, he did great. I speculate if you ask his peers. The other dominant WRs in the league. They will all say Megatron first... Thats fact jack. And he is the ONLY 2000 yd receiver in nfl history. until that changes, i'd try not to down play that if i were you... ignorant.

You calling me ignorant yet not even knowing the era that Hutson played in? Thats classic.

You saying you are speculating about what the other WRs would say they would say megatron, then you call it a fact? HAHAHA.

Marvin Harrison caught 20 more balls in a season than Johnson. Should that make him head and shoulders above him? What about never doing the triple crown in receiving ?

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i admit i dont know **** about Hudson. 1935-1945... didnt they play for ******* jacks back then?
I bet there is tape on all those top receivers asked that question. "are you #1 WR?". First name out of their mouth is Megatron... If i cared enough i would find the clips and show you. But I dont.
Marvin Harrison? Come on man. Without Manning, Harrison was Greg Jennings with enough sense to stay in greenbay.

realistically. You are the GM. You pick these guys in their prime over Megatron in his prime?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im 36 For what ever that matters. And to truly understand Don Hudson and his greatness, you need to have watched the football, and understood the nuances and intracate details of 1960's football. In todays football, would Don Hudson dominate? no. Calvin does. Has he reached his potential, no. Due to injuries. terrible team. And being the one and only offensive threat for years, he did great. I speculate if you ask his peers. The other dominant WRs in the league. They will all say Megatron first....

No 1960s players would come close to dominating today as the players are bigger, faster, and stronger than ever before. That's obvious, but in no way makes players back in the worse.

Players need to be compared to their era, not future ones.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i admit i dont know **** about Hudson. 1935-1945... didnt they play for ******* jacks back then?
I bet there is tape on all those top receivers asked that question. "are you #1 WR?". First name out of their mouth is Megatron... If i cared enough i would find the clips and show you. But I dont.
Marvin Harrison? Come on man. Without Manning, Harrison was Greg Jennings with enough sense to stay in greenbay.

realistically. You are the GM. You pick these guys in their prime over Megatron in his prime?

You shouldn't get so caught up in 40 times and size.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...barber-steve-smith-toughest-receiver-to-cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts