Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

WNY PackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miami

Earl Morrall 1 74.1
Bob Griese 1 77.1
Dan Marino 1 86.4
These were three pretty darned good QBs in my opinion. I saw all three lead teams to a lot of wins. The surprising thing is that Marino, probably the best of the three, was the only one who never was on a Championship team.

Yea, fun looking back at the old players. Steve Young won 6 QBR's, WOW! Might he be the real GOAT among QB's?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I assumed he was referring to the quality of coaching, not age. But, as a reference, he was born in 1979. He's 42. Figure 12 years ago, he'd have been 30. Just getting into it from an experience factor. His coaching career, in the pros, began in 2008. His track record through the pros is impressive. He was a protégé of Kyle Shanahan, and has a track record of being excellent, working with QBs.
Yeah, I knew what he meant, I was just giving him the business. I was surprised when I later looked up MLF's age and he is 42. In my mind I had him as being younger than Rodgers. If MLF stays the Packers coach for another say....25 years and continues at the pace he is on, he will shatter almost every Packer coaching record.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers' off years would still have been pretty good ones for most other quarterbacks.
Most certainly true. It was just looking like he was falling off there for a couple seasons. And in football years, he was not a spring chicken.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Rodgers' off years would still have been pretty good ones for most other quarterbacks.
Agreed, but at some point, a player will stop being worth what he is being paid. Rodgers had a couple of injuries and "off" (by his standards) seasons, so I don't think that those who thought the end of his career wasn't that far away weren't justified in thinking that. I am glad that he proved management , media and some fans wrong. However, eventually time and age will catch up to him and the last thing an organization wants to do is have your highest paid player killing your cap numbers and meanwhile, you aren't getting anything close to what you paid for.

I would rather see the Packers part with Rodgers a year or 2 early, then a year or 2 too late. Especially, if it means getting some decent value back for him in a trade. When that is, I don't even think Rodgers knows for sure.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed, but at some point, a player will stop being worth what he is being paid. Rodgers had a couple of injuries and "off" (by his standards) seasons, so I don't think that those who thought the end of his career wasn't that far away weren't justified in thinking that. I am glad that he proved management , media and some fans wrong. However, eventually time and age will catch up to him and the last thing an organization wants to do is have your highest paid player killing your cap numbers and meanwhile, you aren't getting anything close to what you paid for.

I simply don't agree that Rodgers' decline was steep enough to justify trading up in the first round of last year's draft to select his successor.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather see the Packers part with Rodgers a year or 2 early, then a year or 2 too late. Especially, if it means getting some decent value back for him in a trade. When that is, I don't even think Rodgers knows for sure.

Idk man...the key is you gotta have the next guy ready to make you a perennial playoff contender in the wings could that be Love, yeah, but in this case I think itd be moving on from Rodgers quite a few years more than 1 or 2 early...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I simply don't agree that Rodgers' decline was steep enough to justify trading up in the first round of last year's draft to select his successor.
I know you didn't 18 months ago, you have expressed that many times. Obviously, Gute and the Packers decided it was what was best for the team at the time, I am pretty sure that they didn't draft Love just to piss off fans like yourself. ;)

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather have a QB with a grey beard who knows how to win games. The "declining" Rodgers is on the edge of winning his second straight MVP award, and I just can't understand why people are so intent on getting rid of him. Even if he only plays two more years, that's two more years of enjoying the best damned talent the Packers have ever had at QB, in my humble opinion.

As I've said, what he may have lost in youthful skills, he's sure made up in wily veteran skills, because they just don't hand the MVP award out to old farts who happen to be hanging around waiting for someone to tell them they're too old to cut it. They give that award to what most people consider the best player in the NFL, and even being mentioned for it with all the turmoil there's been is amazing.

If you don't like Rodgers, that's fine. He has a lot to answer to with his attitude. But don't let that color your beliefs on whether or not he can still QB the Packers to wins. I think the record as it stands now proves he can do it, and with LeFleur as the HC, it's a damned good team. Why break it up? It just don't make sense. As for those "draft picks?" What picks? How do you know they'll be any good? Just guessing there, but when you watch Rodgers play, you ain't guessing, you're seeing one of the greatest of all time.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you didn't 18 months ago, you have expressed that many times. Obviously, Gute and the Packers decided it was what was best for the team at the time, I am pretty sure that they didn't draft Love just to piss off fans like yourself. ;)
I have an opinion on that. Just an opinion. I think Gutey was trying to put his stamp on the team by saying that he was going to get the guy that could do what Rodgers couldn't. His mistake was that it was the team that couldn't make it to the top, not the QB, and it wasn't helped by the coaching staff either. Now, the whole package works.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Idk man...the key is you gotta have the next guy ready to make you a perennial playoff contender in the wings could that be Love, yeah, but in this case I think itd be moving on from Rodgers quite a few years more than 1 or 2 early...
He just talked about retiring before this season, as well as the idea of him wanting to be traded was kicked around. So when is too early or too late? That was my point, nobody really knows, including Rodgers himself. We as fans don't have all the information concerning the dynamics he has with the people who run the organization. There obviously was a lot of built up animosity between Rodgers and the Packers and it started way before the Love pick.

So yes, if you see a chance to draft his predecessor and you are in that "window", you go for it. Will people lose their fricking minds if a really good QB drops to the Packers this year and they grab him? Probably, but there will be some of us that say "At this point in Rodgers career, you never know when you are going to need a starting QB and if you think you have a shot at a great one, take it."

I don't view drafting his potential predecessor as wanting to get rid of Rodgers, I view it as insurance and a smart contingency plan. If Rodgers can play 8 more years at a high level, great, you trade your backup and recoup some draft stock. Was the drafting of Dillon done to get rid of Jones?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They finally tracked down Aaron Rodgers doppelgänger Frank for an interview.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

Obviously, Gute and the Packers decided it was what was best for the team at the time, I am pretty sure that they didn't draft Love just to piss off fans like yourself. ;)

Of course Gutekunst tried to do what he thinks was best for the team. That's a pretty lame argument though as I'm convinced the Lions, Vikings and Bears front offices have done for decades as well.

I'm afraid that when it's all said and done Gutekunst could mostly be remembered for what a terrible mistake it was.

He just talked about retiring before this season, as well as the idea of him wanting to be traded was kicked around. So when is too early or too late?

It was the media talking about Rodgers retiring, as far as I can remember he never mentioned anything about it.

Will people lose their fricking minds if a really good QB drops to the Packers this year and they grab him?

If the Packers keep Rodgers and Love around for next season there's absolutely no reason to draft another quarterback early.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It was the media talking about Rodgers retiring, as far as I can remember he never mentioned anything about it.
Actually...Rodgers did say that he thought about retiring. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-involved-in-packers-team-building-decisions/

Of course Gutekunst tried to do what he thinks was best for the team. That's a pretty lame argument though as I'm convinced the Lions, Vikings and Bears front offices have done for decades as well.

I'm afraid that when it's all said and done Gutekunst could mostly be remembered for what a terrible mistake it was.
I'm glad to see that you pretty much decided that drafting Love was a mistake from Day 1, no matter the results. Hopefully someday you will see the good things Gute has done.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Love chapter hasn't been written, yet, so to seal Gute's legacy is VERY premature. Gute has built an incredibly deep, resilient roster ( with the possible exception of ST) so I'll remember Gute for his frequent successes (Dillon, OL, free agent pickups, cap management).

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hated the Love pick. I did not like the Dillon pick. I was somewhere in between disliking and hating the Deguara pick. Last year when I saw Dillon play and you took into account AJ & JW were going to be free agents I understood the pick. I thought they were going to keep Jamaal and let Jones go to be honest. When the Rodgers saga unfolded this past off season I understood the Love pick. That stuff didn't just suddenly appear. I am still looking for a reason to understand the other pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

My bad, it seems I missed it.

I'm glad to see that you pretty much decided that drafting Love was a mistake from Day 1, no matter the results. Hopefully someday you will see the good things Gute has done.
The Love chapter hasn't been written, yet, so to seal Gute's legacy is VERY premature. Gute has built an incredibly deep, resilient roster ( with the possible exception of ST) so I'll remember Gute for his frequent successes (Dillon, OL, free agent pickups, cap management).

As mentioned repeatedly it's way too early to fairly evaluate the Love pick, that's why I mentioned Gutekunst could mostly be remembered for making a mistake drafting him.

With that being said there's a chance it turns ugly pretty fast if the Packers don't win the Super Bowl this season, get rid of Rodgers during the offseason and Love struggles as the starter.

Obviously I hope that doesn't happen but you shouldn't ignore it being a possibility as well.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
After an int, has Rodgers ever go to an opposing coach and yell at him
If that would've been Rodgers, he would've been called every name in the book and it would've been the lead story for every news outlet for at least a week.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many times does Greg Jennings need to cry about this and how many times do media people jump on it and try to fan the flames for another Story?

Let it go Greg!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I don't know the details behind this story but somehow I doubt Jennings is calling around trying to get interviews just so he can cry about his relationship with Rodgers. If someone calls him is he supposed to turn it down? He knows they will so is he just supposed to say no comment.

There are many Packer players who would make it on fan's lists of favorite players but if you made a list of least favorites I'd bet Jennings would be at or near the top on all of them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If someone calls him is he supposed to turn it down? He knows they will so is he just supposed to say no comment.
I guess if I were in his shoes, I would just say "same thing as it was 9 years ago, nothing has changed, next question." Anytime I have seen the subject brought up in an interview or on TV, he goes into the hurt ex BF drivel.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess if I were in his shoes, I would just say "same thing as it was 9 years ago, nothing has changed, next question." Anytime I have seen the subject brought up in an interview or on TV, he goes into the hurt ex BF drivel.
I used to watch FS1 (before all the sports shows went political), so I've seen Greg Jennings on TV a lot. I actually think he presents a fair assessment of Rodgers, from his perspective. I've seen him say a ton of good things about Rodgers, but nobody pays any attention to that. He does have a particular beef with him, which I honestly can't blame him for being upset about. I'm sure there could have been a better way to clear it up, but it's not my wound to mend.

I think the people who hire him want to get a certain amount of drama out of him, so that could be one reason why he doesn't just gloss over it. Jennings is a unique interview in that he had a ringside seat to the "two sides of Aaron Rodgers".

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose. I've never watched any of the interviews so I don't really know how it goes down. I guess this goes a little contrary to what I said about him not seeking out the interviews but if he says that they'll stop calling him. They know if they get him he'll say something that get viewers/listeners/readers whatever so he gives them what they want.

I honestly wonder if he would get so much hate had he signed with the Browns or Jets instead of the vikings and said the same things he has.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've seen Greg Jennings on TV a lot. I actually think he presents a fair assessment of Rodgers, from his perspective. I've seen him say a ton of good things about Rodgers, but nobody pays any attention to that.
I actually enjoy listening to Jennings and his football knowledge is good. However, his playing the victim with Rodgers story is such old news that it has gotten cringe worthy.

Members online

Latest posts