Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

Reaction score
I think a wise move is to rework his current contract. As long as he’s not contrary to taking slightly less than his market $ by trading more length in seasons for slightly less average season payout. I wouldn’t go past a 5th season “contract out” (2026) and would prefer it’s a 4th season “out”(2025) on a reworked deal. That essentially guarantees him 3 seasons minimum. That way we could move on after the 2024 season if he starts showing decline. He’d be 41yrs going on 42yrs in Dec., so that’s a completely reasonable request/offer.
He’d also have to allow us to move monies as needed (especially in 2022) to keep the shelf stocked with talent.
That said. If he plays hardball and wants league high setting pay and an extensive deal until he’s 45 or whatnot? I’d shake hands and give him the Harbaugh to Schwartz firm slap on his back and throw him out the building. Then I’d trade him for several 1st rounders and eat his dead and move along.
I’m also good either way. I’m not afraid to trade him for picks or just let him retire forever. I’d fully be prepared for the worst with him. If I’m Gute, Aaron already thinks I’m an Ahowl GM, I might not let him down

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I just have a hard time understanding how players can dictate conduct during the national anthem, or control personnel. Rogers had an issue with our GM, and wanted him fired. That's just wrong.
It's like having T. Owens on our team, which is analagous to how Rodgers is acting. No one person is irreplaceable as good as they are.

I recommend to not listen to the talking heads but to the people actually involved in the situation. Rodgers didn't want control of personnel decisions but a seat on the table when discussing about them. I don't have an issue with that.

It's definitely not reasonable to compare him to Terrell Owens.

He’d also have to allow us to move monies as needed (especially in 2022) to keep the shelf stocked with talent.

The Packers could pay Rodgers the same amount of cash next season but still save up to $20.3 million of cap space by converting most of his base salary into a signing bonus.

Reaction score
Is there any evidence of this? Rodgers said in an interview that he did not want anyone fired. He wanted to be listened to. Again, is there evidence that he wanted the GM fired?
Welcome to the 21st Century, where players are allowed to speak out and have opinions. ;) It seems to have spread to the rest of the population as well. What you want to do with that knowledge is up to you I guess.
So you are fine with kneeling or staying in the locker room during the national anthem?? I don't care if it is the 25th century, respect four our country, flag, and our anthem will never be outdated. Every player in the NFL agrees to the player code of conduct.
The players can advocate anything they want while they are not in uniform or "on the clock". Our constitution affords that right.

Reaction score
Terrell Owens
I was just making a point of how this kind of action can adversely affect the team. Rogers is not T.O. or even close. So now it appears that the Pack is headed into the playoffs, and Rogers starts this again.....REALLY???
Regarding evidence that he wanted the GM fired, I read that he did want Gute fired. If the author was inaccurate I have no way of knowing that.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So you are fine with kneeling or staying in the locker room during the national anthem?? I don't care if it is the 25th century, respect four our country, flag, and our anthem will never be outdated.
Without getting into too much of a debate over this, I believe respect goes way beyond, standing, kneeling, hand over heart, taking your hat off, singing, etc. What do you do when you are watching the game at home and the National Anthem is played? What do you do for the homeless, the poor, the underprivileged?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Regarding evidence that he wanted the GM fired, I read that he did want Gute fired. If the author was inaccurate I have no way of knowing that.
If you regard everything that you read online as "evidence" and then use it in a statement of fact, you can't say "I don't know if what I read was true or not."

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be happy if he stays. I'll be content if he leaves. I still think we have a better chance with him. But life will go on if he's gone.:)
Yeah, honestly I'd prefer we keep him, and he retires a Packer. I think he would like that himself. But he has to be reasonable about it. If he decides he doesn't want to be here, or makes unreasonable demands, I'm fine with moving on. But I'd like to see an effort made on both sides for him to stay.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just making a point of how this kind of action can adversely affect the team. Rogers is not T.O. or even close. So now it appears that the Pack is headed into the playoffs, and Rogers starts this again.....REALLY???
If you would have read a bit more you would have read where he never said he wanted Gute fired (that's not the same as not wanting him fired, just that he never said it so no one knows if he wanted or still wants it or not.) You say you have no way of knowing if the author was inaccurate or not and yet you apparently have no problem stating what he said as fact. If you have no way of knowing if he was inaccurate you also had no way of knowing if he was accurate but it seems you assumed he was.

All things have an ending. We all know he is a great QB, however he does not nor should he control personnel. He should have been traded earlier this year for a ton of excellent players and/or draft picks.
I don't recall him ever saying he wanted to control personnel (You probably read that from the same guy who said he wanted Gute fired) The Cobb trade was a concession by the Packers but I'm not sure it was a Rodgers demand. I seem to recall a few articles saying his coming back hinged on the trade for Cobb but for all I know that was nothing but clickbait as well. I've seen nothing either confirming nor disproving anything along the lines of Rodgers saying "trade for Cobb or I won't come back" which seems to be the way a lot of people were spinning it. A lot of his other comments were basically saying the way the organization treated some of the players was pretty crappy. A strong opinion to be sure but hardly demanding the right to control personnel.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Yeah, honestly I'd prefer we keep him, and he retires a Packer. I think he would like that himself. But he has to be reasonable about it. If he decides he doesn't want to be here, or makes unreasonable demands, I'm fine with moving on. But I'd like to see an effort made on both sides for him to stay.
I agree that Rodgers would like to end his career as a Packer, but his concerns from early in the offseason that have been percolating for years (many of them valid) made it such that he was willing to move on.

However, I think there's little doubt that the Packers have made more of an effort than I ever thought they would to address his concerns and to give him more of a voice in the room. It's a shame it took all that it took for it to happen (otherwise this whole thing could've been easily avoided), but at the end of the day, efforts are being made on the end of the Packers.

We'll see how it plays out.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Rodgers would like to end his career as a Packer, but his concerns from early in the offseason that have been percolating for years (many of them valid) made it such that he was willing to move on.

However, I think there's little doubt that the Packers have made more of an effort than I ever thought they would to address his concerns and to give him more of a voice in the room. It's a shame it took all that it took for it to happen (otherwise this whole thing could've been easily avoided), but at the end of the day, efforts are being made on the end of the Packers.

We'll see how it plays out.
Excellent summary. This whole thing was avoidable, but I don't think TT or Gluten were keen on giving Rodgers a voice. Seems that's been corrected. Now can we just win a Super Bowl this year, and make it a habit for as long as we have Rodgers?

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Excellent summary. This whole thing was avoidable, but I don't think TT or Gluten were keen on giving Rodgers a voice. Seems that's been corrected. Now can we just win a Super Bowl this year, and make it a habit for as long as we have Rodgers?
I'm not a cap genius by any stretch, but I would think extending Rodgers, extending Davante, and extending Jaire would go an extremely long way to getting close enough to the cap number for next year. Z'Darius is likely all but gone given his cap number unless he's extended, but the Packers have been successful this season without him and with the back concerns, I'm good with moving on.

There would definitely be some tough decisions on a couple of guys, but as long as Gute continues to draft well, the Packers will remain elite as long as Rodgers and LaFleur are around.

Unless something crazy happens again, the cap is going to explode in the next few years. So as long as the Packers can figure something out for 2022, I see no reason why we can't compete for SB's the next 4-5 years with Rodgers.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you would have read a bit more you would have read where he never said he wanted Gute fired (that's not the same as not wanting him fired, just that he never said it so no one knows if he wanted or still wants it or not.)
Let's face it, Rodger is very sly and diplomatic about how he says things, as we saw with his "I've been immunized" comment.

Unless something crazy happens again, the cap is going to explode in the next few years. So as long as the Packers can figure something out for 2022, I see no reason why we can't compete for SB's the next 4-5 years with Rodgers.
Seriously, if we can compete for Super Bowls while skirting with the cap limits for the next 4-5 years, I'd say keeping Rodgers is a no-brainer. If we can do it. I don't see people suggesting we'll be competing for Super Bowls with Love, as happy as MLF was to get him.

Consider also MLF is on pace to be like the greatest coach of all time, why would he want to part ways with Rodgers? Not saying he will be the GOAT coach or anything like that, but he's off to a heckuva start.

Reaction score
I agree that Rodgers would like to end his career as a Packer..
Im not sure why.. but each separate time I read that sentence .. it means the opposite of the last read!

Does he want to put being a Packer all to an end?

Or does he want to end it all while still being a Packer?

I guess we will know soon! :roflmao:

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you regard everything that you read online as "evidence" and then use it in a statement of fact, you can't say "I don't know if what I read was true or not."
Okay, on Sportsnet the article written by Heather Mosses states that there is 0 percent chance that Rodgers will stay in Green Bay if they don't get rid of Gute.
Now, no reference is made as to the basis of that statement.
I have no idea why Rogers would bring this up leaving G.B. again at this time, do you? Also he received a signing bonus of around 57 million for a four year contract. Will he return 75% of that?

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Im not sure why.. but each separate time I read that sentence .. it means the opposite of the last read!

Does he want to put being a Packer all to an end?

Or does he want to end it all while still being a Packer?

I guess we will know soon! :roflmao:
In a perfect world, Rodgers would prefer to only play for the Packers.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Okay, on Sportsnet the article written by Heather Mosses states that there is 0 percent chance that Rodgers will stay in Green Bay if they don't get rid of Gute.
I have no idea why Rogers would bring this up leaving G.B. again at this time, do you? Also he received a signing bonus of around 57 million for a four year contract. Will he return 75% of that?
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"IF" the Packers hoist a Lombardi Trophy at the end of this year, all the BS that's been happening will be forgotten, Rodgers will be extended, Love will be traded, and everyone will be sitting around asking themselves.... "What the hell just happened???"

Why am I certain?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Who is Heather Mosses and do you believe her "facts"? Of course Rodgers keeps his signing bonus, wouldn't you?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think about this very carefully. I doubt you can put up any team that could compare three QBs like this during the last 60 years. Face it. We've become spoiled by the luck we've had in getting field generals.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think pretty close are: John Brodie, Joe Montana, Steve Young

A bit behind but still great: Roger Staubach, Danny White and Troy Aikman