Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I don't think anyone believes that the front office should get Rodgers permission to make personnel changes. Giving him a heads up about his quarterback coach wouldn't have hurt anything though. It's fairly clear he took it as a sign of disrespect that they didn't. It's almost as if they are going out of their way to tick him off, and I don't see the upside of that.
Spot on.

You don't have to say "Hey Aaron, is it okay if we do this?". But is "Hey Aaron this is the direction we have decided to go in. I know you and AVP were tight, but this is the decision that we've come to after talking with him, and also considering the long term view of where we're wanting to go" really that difficult?

You aren't empowering him to feel as if he gets to make decisions. But you at least show enough respect for what he's done for your organization by giving him a heads up so that he doesn't get to find out the same way that the average fan does. That simply is not too much to ask.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
even the great players need to be reminded, they're still just players

Spoken like the professional he is. He understands what's going on and he knows what he can control and needs to do. all this "miffed" and "disgruntled" stuff, is just "stuff" to get clicks

I thought Rodgers showed professionalism through-out the interview. I found myself getting irritated with him being asked the same question over and over, hoping that he would give the reporters some sound bite. Rodgers is too smart for that.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Spoken like the professional he is. He understands what's going on and he knows what he can control and needs to do. all this "miffed" and "disgruntled" stuff, is just "stuff" to get clicks

No, this 'stuff' has been going on for a while now, and he was the source of it. What you're getting now is a calming of the waves, probably after a meeting behind doors to get things straightened out. Let's hope this is the end of all of it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Spot on. He isn't afraid to speak his true thoughts and then the media and fans can run with it. But it's obvious when he has time to sift through things and see them for what they really are, his dialogue changes.

I honestly think AR kind of has fun baiting the media.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, this 'stuff' has been going on for a while now, and he was the source of it. What you're getting now is a calming of the waves, probably after a meeting behind doors to get things straightened out. Let's hope this is the end of all of it.
I don't think it's any different than what he said today though. I'm sure he didn't like that his coach was not retained or that Jordy was released. They were his friends. But at the end of the day, there hasn't been a single moment where I don't think he fully realized what the big picture was.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think it's any different than what he said today though. I'm sure he didn't like that his coach was not retained or that Jordy was released. They were his friends. But at the end of the day, there hasn't been a single moment where I don't think he fully realized what the big picture was.

I think sometimes people get these 2 guys confused with each other. ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's fine, as long as today's change of attitude is where this stays. But let's not all pretend that his most recent comments were his only ones; as I pointed out, this has been going on for a while now. From thinly veiled public comments directed at the front office to be more aggressive in free agency last year to the recent remarks about Van Pelt and Nelson, among other remarks. Remarks he made to media people. Hopefully whatever talks went on behind the scenes have him looking at things differently from here on out.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's fine, as long as today's change of attitude is where this stays. But let's not all pretend that his most recent comments were his only ones; as I pointed out, this has been going on for a while now. From thinly veiled public comments directed at the front office to be more aggressive in free agency last year to the recent remarks about Van Pelt and Nelson, among other remarks. Remarks he made to media people. Hopefully whatever talks went on behind the scenes have him looking at things differently from here on out.

or else?

I don't mean to be a smart *** about it, but this is who Aaron Rodgers is. He doesn't bite his tongue, he doesn't back down. Does anyone remember his "Twitter fight" with the reporter who he shot down for an interview after a Badger basketball game?

Rodgers is his own man, like it or not.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
or else?

I don't mean to be a smart *** about it, but this is who Aaron Rodgers is. He doesn't bite his tongue, he doesn't back down. Does anyone remember his "Twitter fight" with the reporter who he shot down for an interview after a Badger basketball game?

Rodgers is his own man, like it or not.

Which has what to do with this? The point is do your job which is QB- not GM, not HC. And if you have a beef, keep it in house, don't whine and air you're dirty laundry in public.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Several teams better on paper. But what you aren't accounting for is that Rodgers makes us a playoff team. Gives us a realistic chance at a Super Bowl. The rebuild isn't coming until Rodgers is out the door. And at that point, you will peel away the gold foil and realize it was just chocolate all along. We have been foolishly lucky over the years to have 2 of the greatest quarterbacks of all time at the helm. The bad years were bad. Worse than 2017. No thanks to rolling the dice on that.
i am accounting for that, and i'd be thrilled to be wrong...but the rest of the team is wanting and does not give us a realistic chance for a SB. as i also keep saying...if it doesn't happen now the scenario is moot anyway and we'll just watch it die a slow death and rebuild the hard way, which takes at least 5 years if they're lucky, instead of doing most of the heavy lifting this year, and next, and staying in the fight for the foreseeable.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which has what to do with this? The point is do your job which is QB- not GM, not HC. And if you have a beef, keep it in house, don't whine and air you're dirty laundry in public.
yup. empowering his inner diva further serves no purpose. it'll create a monster who'll play the organization in his remaining years like BF did...and who wants that?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Chances are you are never going to have a silent AR, it isn't who he is, which was my point. That might be the guy some fans think he should be, but like many of the greats, he isn't. Yup, there are guys like Barry Sanders who did great things and kept their mouths shut, but that is what worked for him, that doesn't seem to be what works for Rodgers. So if fans don't like it and just keep *****ing about it, publically, how are they acting any different than what they are *****ing about?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chances are you are never going to have a silent AR, it isn't who he is, which was my point. That might be the guy some fans think he should be, but like many of the greats, he isn't. Yup, there are guys like Barry Sanders who did great things and kept their mouths shut, but that is what worked for him, that doesn't seem to be what works for Rodgers. So if fans don't like it and just keep *****ing about it, publically, how are they acting any different than what they are *****ing about?
sure. i don't have a problem with him talking. saying they "need to all-in" is one thing, saying 'talk to me before cutting jordy' is another.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you are saying there should be a "hierarchy of decision making duties" for each player based on their pay? Aaron Rodgers being the #1 guy, gets input on coaching decisions and player transactions. Clay Matthews gets input on defensive schemes being run? Randall Cobb gets to sit in on meetings to decide what UDFA WR's should be signed........all the way down to DeAngelo Yancey getting to decide the team snack for Monday?

A line has to be drawn somewhere between Players and "staff". If you blur that line, I just don't think anything good comes from it. Who is running the team, the players or others?

And, yet again, there's that magic word I've been very specific about, DECISION. I've been VERY clear but I'll emphasize it this time; he doesn't get to decide, he just gets informed and, perhaps, a conversation ensues. This isn't that complicated. People like feeling as though they're thoughts matter, in ANY walk of life.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also used the word "input" by each player. In the case of APV and Jordy, do you think the people making the decisions weren't aware of how Rodgers would probably feel about the moves?

Let's go your Route. Rodgers gets "input" and states "I would totally not be on board with letting AVP walk or cutting Jordy Nelson". The next day, the team does it anyway. Now where are you? You think Rodgers will be happier because somehow they placated his ego with allowing his "input"? Rodgers did give his input, after the decisions were made, which he should be "allowed" or encouraged to do. But that input shouldn't have any bearing on the actual decisions made by the people running the franchise.

Here's how this works. Instead of being surprised and getting hit with the news out of left field, then having the media asking him about something he had no idea about, he would then have actual knowledge and time to come to grips with it. Sure, the team might have decided to do something he didn't want but AT LEAST they informed him and discussed it with him. People, in general, don't like surprises and they DO like feeling like they're thoughts matter.

I get that I have the unpopular opinion on this and I find it really odd. Why are fans (the majority of whom have normal jobs) suddenly all against an employee being able to have some input into decisions that affect his job. I appreciate when my boss discusses things happening at work with me. Do i get ticked off when my demands aren't met? NO! But I appreciate feeling like my voice and opinion matter. It's just a matter of basic human interaction.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was stupid ******* hyperbole. We don't pay Rodgers to give his input to roster or coaching decisions. I appears he understands that. That's good. Now he can concentrate on being the quarterback.

Yes, the team has put him in his place. That always works out well.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forget that is the slow news cycle time of the year. NFL draft and then stories like this. Rodgers has always voiced his opinion. Rodgers wanted his QB coach and WR who are both friends to stay on the team. No way. Rodgers says he has to trust the process the team is using. No way. Big story here

Reaction score
Don't try to fix what aint broke, in the sense that this franchise has been largely successful. Aaron referred to that and did a wrestling reversal (ref hand signaling 2 pts! to Aaron).
The best thing to do when someone tries to get you to say something harmful about someone is to compliment them, that shows maturity. It's always best to resolve issues you may have with another individual (coworker etc.) directly with that person. That's called giving the benefit of the doubt about those you work with.

As someone else said earlier, this was just the latest attempt from the media trying to turn a simple presumption into some unnecessary drama that's good for print. That's Game, Set and the next failed media attempt will be Match

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's how this works. Instead of being surprised and getting hit with the news out of left field, then having the media asking him about something he had no idea about, he would then have actual knowledge and time to come to grips with it. Sure, the team might have decided to do something he didn't want but AT LEAST they informed him and discussed it with him. People, in general, don't like surprises and they DO like feeling like they're thoughts matter.

I get that I have the unpopular opinion on this and I find it really odd. Why are fans (the majority of whom have normal jobs) suddenly all against an employee being able to have some input into decisions that affect his job. I appreciate when my boss discusses things happening at work with me. Do i get ticked off when my demands aren't met? NO! But I appreciate feeling like my voice and opinion matter. It's just a matter of basic human interaction.
i promise that Rodgers gets his input on things that matter. I'm sure he has his hands in on decisions from everything to the personnel on the field, groupings, play calls, strategies, gameplanning ect. I also know he has no input, nor should on Front office decisions or what personnel is going to be on the roster.

and because i'm too lazy to multiquote, I don't think, and have never thought that Rodgers "needed to be put in his place" and I don't think any of this was about that either. He knows what's up, he's smart. and I bet he's fine with it too.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Your points are taken, my friend. At which point, in 2 or 3 years (sooner if necessary) you have a 36-37 year old player becoming an increasing malcontent, can his ***. No one is bigger than the team. The Packers have been around a lot longer than Rodgers has, they'll be around long after he's gone.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This Rodgers/Packers stuff has been on every sports show today! Maybe it is a slow news day, but it kind of irritates me in a way. They seem to be implying that other teams treat their stars well, but "things are done differently in Green Bay". I do think Rodgers was miffed that he wasn't told, but I also think that he'll be ready to go without distractions come the start of the season.

Members online

Latest posts