Rodgers miffed about loss of Van Pelt

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really think you are seeing the reality. This team is far from a rebuild and none of us want to sit on the bottom of the division for the next several seasons.
with 3 of the first 14 first round picks, players, and a ton of cap room i doubt that will be the case, but again i'd only consider it in this one scenario. the deal is a fantasy but the fact that Rodgers durability is now a question, that he'll be 35, that (if they extend him) his cap hit is going to be even more of a limiting factor than it is now, and that other teams are passing the Packers by, factor into my thoughts for their SB aspirations.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but you would have his successor. that would be pick #1 next thursday night.

Because all first pick QB's work out? How often do first round pick quarterbacks with no veteran leadership above them work out? Not often.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with 3 of the first 14 first round picks, players, and a ton of cap room i doubt that will be the case, but again i'd only consider it in this one scenario. the deal is a fantasy but the fact that Rodgers durability is now a question, that he'll be 35, that (if they extend him) his cap hit is going to be even more of a limiting factor than it is now, and that other teams are passing the Packers by, factor into my thoughts for their SB aspirations.

You are basically describing most teams drafting at those positions. Also think about a guy like Jimmy Graham who signed his contract because of Rodgers. You are completely naive if you think we are better off letting Rodgers go now.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers had to go to overtime to beat the Browns last year without Rodgers at QB. I don't think they would be much better with a rookie QB behind center for at least 2-3 years and that is, if said rookie QB even pans out. I can see trading an aging Pro Bowl RB,OLB, CB or WR, but not your FHOF QB.

D

Deleted member 6794

You cant replace 12 until you have a successor. Just like they couldnt replace 4 until they had 12.

Unfortunately I doubt the Packers will be able to adequately replace Rodgers with another future HOF quarterback once they have to.

but you would have his successor. that would be pick #1 next thursday night.

Here are the quarterbacks selected first overall since 2000:

Michael Vick, David Carr, Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, Alex Smith, JaMarcus Russell, Matthew Stafford, Sam Bradford, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Jameis Winston and Jared Goff.

Only one of them has won a Super Bowl and none is even close to being as efficient as Rodgers. Therefore suggesting to trade #12 for the possibility to take a gamble on a rookie is crazy.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers had to go to overtime to beat the Browns last year without Rodgers at QB. I don't think they would be much better with a rookie QB behind center for at least 2-3 years and that is, if said rookie QB even pans out. I can see trading an aging Pro Bowl RB,OLB, CB or WR, but not your FHOF QB.

I think trading Rodgers is stupid, but people are underestimating how below average Hundley really is. Dude sucks.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think trading Rodgers is stupid, but people are underestimating how below average Hundley really is. Dude sucks.
Oh I agree, but I think even with a sucky QB, fans were able to see just how different of a team the Packers are without #12 on the field. However, I really don't think a rookie QB is going to step right in and guide this team to the playoffs any time soon.

I would totally understand trading Rodgers if he was playing great, but with him the team was still not very good. But that isn't the case and he is the one BIG piece that makes them a competitive team.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kind of get the impression that the people who want to trade Rodgers aren't just wanting to trade him for a bunch of draft picks, they specifically want to trade him for Cleveland's draft picks. That way, they get the #1 and #4 picks, plus whatever else they're wanting thrown in. A tempting offer, but I would still pass.

Today's big news is that Tom Brady wants a new contract. Maybe he sees the writing on the wall that NE is done winning Super Bowls, and now he wants paid. There are reports that he too, is "miffed" that he wasn't aware that Belichick wasn't going to play Malcolm Butler in the Super Bowl. If Belichick isn't going to try to win, might as well get his money.

That's been my main concern with Rodgers not being consulted about decisions that affect him. Not that it will cause some huge split with the team, but that he might be less likely to give the Packers a "team friendly" contract. Now that Brady wants his money though, it seems more likely that Rodgers will want to shoot for the moon.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you change a QB coach without consulting the QB? Not asking for approval, but surely there must be some discussions before making changes that will directly impact the QB himself.

The 2 problems Aaron has had are 'they got rid of my buddy Jordy' and 'they got rid of my position coach Van Pelt' Change Van Pelt and Jordy to Winters and Bevell and you have Favre! Not to mention Rodgers was better under the OC and Offensive staff he has going into 2018 than he was since they left GB. He's with the guys that were there in 2011 when he could hit a gnat's *** with a cannonball in triple coverage! Why is he complaining, he should be back to form! And he SHOULD be ecstatic about it!

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kind of get the impression that the people who want to trade Rodgers aren't just wanting to trade him for a bunch of draft picks, they specifically want to trade him for Cleveland's draft picks. That way, they get the #1 and #4 picks, plus whatever else they're wanting thrown in. A tempting offer, but I would still pass.

Today's big news is that Tom Brady wants a new contract. Maybe he sees the writing on the wall that NE is done winning Super Bowls, and now he wants paid. There are reports that he too, is "miffed" that he wasn't aware that Belichick wasn't going to play Malcolm Butler in the Super Bowl. If Belichick isn't going to try to win, might as well get his money.

That's been my main concern with Rodgers not being consulted about decisions that affect him. Not that it will cause some huge split with the team, but that he might be less likely to give the Packers a "team friendly" contract. Now that Brady wants his money though, it seems more likely that Rodgers will want to shoot for the moon.
yup...that was my cle only trade scenario. would end up with at least 3 1st's, players, and a S-load of cap room. lol

the brady situation is add to the Rodgers contract pressure.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2 problems Aaron has had are 'they got rid of my buddy Jordy' and 'they got rid of my position coach Van Pelt' Change Van Pelt and Jordy to Winters and Bevell and you have Favre! Not to mention Rodgers was better under the OC and Offensive staff he has going into 2018 than he was since they left GB. He's with the guys that were there in 2011 when he could hit a gnat's *** with a cannonball in triple coverage! Why is he complaining, he should be back to form! And he SHOULD be ecstatic about it!
didn't VP chose to leave on his own?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I read. Doesn't seem he an AR12 were too close as he decided before the season he would not extend his stay. One would think he'd have let on with his star pupil.
I've heard that as well, although I don't know if it was the truth. If he left of his own accord, why would Rodgers be irritated at the Packers about it?

D

Deleted member 6794

yup...that was my cle only trade scenario. would end up with at least 3 1st's, players, and a S-load of cap room. lol

The Packers ending up with the first, fourth and 14th selection in this year's draft doesn't guarantee they will be able to adequately replace the best player at the most important position in all of sports. It's ridiculous we're still talking about this.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers ending up with the first, fourth and 14th selection in this year's draft doesn't guarantee they will be able to adequately replace the best player at the most important position in all of sports. It's ridiculous we're still talking about this.
like most topics in the world...some are closed mined, some aren't.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
like most topics in the world...some are closed mined, some aren't.
And somebody are so open minded their brains have fallen out :)

I don't think there has been a QB since Rodgers was drafted, that has come close to Rodgers. That's a lot of years and a lot of teams trying to find QBs. Don't give me Goff and Wentz either because I remember when it was Chad Pennington and the like too. It's not that hard to be good for one year. Until someone can remain relevant for more than a season and then do it for 10, they aren't close to Rodgers. Offenses and QBs get figured out quickly.

Anyway, no qb has been close to what we have since he was drafted. Give me 10 first round picks, odds are still don't replace him

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are talking like the additional first round pick is all we need to make this team a championship contender without having a top 3 quarterback in the entire NFL.

You replace Rodgers with Darnold. Ok. Then what? Chubb? At 14 you get a corner. Suddenly I see us as worse than the Browns last season.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are talking like the additional first round pick is all we need to make this team a championship contender without having a top 3 quarterback in the entire NFL.

You replace Rodgers with Darnold. Ok. Then what? Chubb? At 14 you get a corner. Suddenly I see us as worse than the Browns last season.
zero wins? no way. i'd take mayfield though but that's just me. darnold is fine. suddenly you should see us way better than we were last year. you'd see a ton of cap room too. no more cap worries holding us back. FA signings, another draft, etc. etc. etc. 2020 would be pretty exciting...a team on the up. more exciting than the path we're on...but hey, let's drop it. it ain't happenin and repeating myself has gotten boring. GoPack!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way could we replace Rodgers, but we could put together a nice foundation of young players for a rebuild, especially if we got some second round picks as well (as I believe was discussed). The QB spot would be weaker, but the team around him would be stronger. The two teams that were in the NFCCG last year were both playing with backup quarterbacks, but the teams around them were solid.

I still wouldn't trade Rodgers. But I could see how a trade involving him might be similar to the Herschel Walker deal, which ended up setting Dallas up to win three of four Super Bowls. There's no guarantee Cleveland would even be willing to make such a deal though.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
zero wins? no way. i'd take mayfield though but that's just me. darnold is fine. suddenly you should see us way better than we were last year. you'd see a ton of cap room too. no more cap worries holding us back. FA signings, another draft, etc. etc. etc. 2020 would be pretty exciting...a team on the up. more exciting than the path we're on...but hey, let's drop it. it ain't happenin and repeating myself has gotten boring. GoPack!

Zero wins was just a reference of the browns. But we are nowhere near a playoff team im that situation.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way could we replace Rodgers, but we could put together a nice foundation of young players for a rebuild, especially if we got some second round picks as well (as I believe was discussed). The QB spot would be weaker, but the team around him would be stronger. The two teams that were in the NFCCG last year were both playing with backup quarterbacks, but the teams around them were solid.

I still wouldn't trade Rodgers. But I could see how a trade involving him might be similar to the Herschel Walker deal, which ended up setting Dallas up to win three of four Super Bowls. There's no guarantee Cleveland would even be willing to make such a deal though.

this isnt a hershall walker deal. it gives us one more first round pick and makes us 85% weaker at quarterback unless you hit the lottery.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
this isnt a hershall walker deal. it gives us one more first round pick and makes us 85% weaker at quarterback unless you hit the lottery.
Nobody has said it is only one pick. Everyone has said it is for a boatload.
BTW how'd that work out for the Redskins after Ditka gave them his entire draft plus more next season for the right to draft Ricky Williams?
Traded to New Orleans
1999 first round pick (5th overall, Ricky Williams)[13]

Traded to Washington[13]
  • 1999 first round pick (12th overall, later traded to Chicago, used to select Cade McNown)[14]
  • 1999 third round pick (71st overall, later traded to Chicago, used to select D'Wayne Bates)[14]
  • 1999 fourth round pick (107th overall, used to select Nate Stimson)[15]
  • 1999 fifth round pick (144th overall, later traded to Chicago, used to select Khari Samuel)[16]
  • 1999 sixth round pick (179th overall, later traded to Denver, used to select Desmond Clark)[15]
  • 1999 seventh round pick (218th overall, later traded to Denver, used to select Billy Miller)[15]
  • 2000 first round pick (2nd overall, used to select LaVar Arrington)[13]
  • 2000 third round pick (64th overall, used to select Lloyd Harrison)[13]

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trades like those above, plus multiple moves by Al Davis and Matt Millen, to name a few, is why I always gag when we/fans criticize management decisions and the comeback is along the lines of "you think you know more/could do better than the professionals?".

Staff online

Members online