Rodgers Contract

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not following that logic. If a reduced Rodgers is worth more than a $28 mil Cousins, then a fully functional Rodgers is worth more. That should get you in the vacinity of $35 mil.

Cousins' oddball deal is not the benchmark. Stafford's deal is the better analogue.

Brees and Brady have been on short term deals, with Brees frachised two years in a row, seemingly forever. I guess their managements were less concerned about their focus, committment and performace under such deals.

Or maybe not? Maybe Rodgers will be playing under his current contract this year and maybe even next?

My point was that, while Rodgers is better than Cousins, I don't see the Packers giving him 25% more in value. That's a bit more of an increase than is usually seen in the NFL.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't that depend entirely on how long the contract runs? If a non-guaranteed contract isn't fulfilled because of the inability of the player or the desires of the club, THAT saves money. Isn't the reason players will accept a lesser overall amount in a guaranteed contract is because they no longer are responsible for their health, performance, or any other factor?

No. If the years are equal then the guaranteed contract should net the team a discount since the player is being guaranteed more money. I'm also including the fact that short of a some catasrophic dismemberment accident the Packers won't be cutting Rodgers anytime soon. Many other positions can see a good player cut due to injury but QBs don't play by normal rules.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK then. IF you're going to figure that both contracts will be played out, guaranteed probably is cheaper.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again ... I'm not sure it is the team putting on the brakes... I think it is entirely possible that Rodgers is waiting on Matt Ryan to get his next deal.
If that's the case, that pretty much demonstrates that Rodgers isn't looking to give the Packers a "home team discount".

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that's the case, that pretty much demonstrates that Rodgers isn't looking to give the Packers a "home team discount".
IF it is the case I agree... and frankly, I doubt that he does... he is a great QB but He has an ego to match lol.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
IF it is the case I agree... and frankly, I doubt that he does... he is a great QB but He has an ego to match lol.
Some view what Rodgers has as ego, I would call it confidence. I know there is kind of a fine line between the 2, but I think his self confidence is one of the things that has made him one of the best to play the game.

D

Deleted member 6794

In my opinion it depends on how you look at it. Thers's an argument to be made that no matter how much money the Packers end up paying Rodgers that he could have gotten an even better deal in free agency, hence a hometown discount.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why the Hell should Rodgers give a 'home town discount'? Enough with the cheap *****; ante up or go home.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why the Hell should Rodgers give a 'home town discount'? Enough with the cheap *****; ante up or go home.

Rodgers signing for less money than his market value would allow the Packers to use the cap space to improve the rest of the roster possibly improve his chances of winning at least another championship.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers signing for less money than his market value would allow the Packers to use the cap space to improve the rest of the roster possibly improve his chances of winning at least another championship.
Because they have done such a great job of that.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Half Empty; CaptainWimm responds to a post of mine that-as I point out- has nothing to do with my point. You disagree with me for pointing this simple obvious point out.
Exactly what the hell is it you disagree with?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Again, giving up money is no guarantee the team improves. Injuries happen or management signs the wrong guys or extends the wrong players. Why should Rodgers have to give up money because the front office did a terrible job of finding pass rushers and was forced to overpay for Perry who is injured pretty much all the time? If the team wants to be good, get better GMs and coaches. Don't force the players to take less because management isn't getting it done.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I will say that if BGK proves to make good personnel decisions in free agency that I would like to see Rodgers take a bit of what you would term as a "hometown discount". However I wouldn't blame him in the slightest if he decided not to, given all of the years that the team has failed to do enough to surround him with talent.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not the point.
That's exactly the point. That may be the biggest thing I respect about Tom Brady - he could make more money than anybody in the league, but he tries to make team friendly deals because he wants to win championships. No team has won a Super Bowl with the QB taking up more than 13.1% of the cap.