Ridiculously early draft thread

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm very curious to know how our front office feels about our secondary right now. It seems like a position of need after this year, but really, we just dropped a 1 and 2 on dbacks. I could easily see them thinking that it was just an injury-plagued, down, sophomore slump year and feeling good enough about the future of the secondary to wait until later rounds to add depth.
I fear you are correct, but hope you are wrong.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, just meant we need someone with speed and quickness who can make something out of nothing with our online.

I really don't understand the criticism of the offensive line. The unit has done a great job overall this season.

I'm very curious to know how our front office feels about our secondary right now. It seems like a position of need after this year, but really, we just dropped a 1 and 2 on dbacks. I could easily see them thinking that it was just an injury-plagued, down, sophomore slump year and feeling good enough about the future of the secondary to wait until later rounds to add depth.

There shouldn't be any doubt the Packers are in need of a #1 cornerback next offseason with Shields most likely being done for good.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There shouldn't be any doubt the Packers are in need of a #1 cornerback next offseason with Shields most likely being done for good.

Do you think we spent a 1st on Randall and 2nd on Rollins expecting them to never be able to play #1CB?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What they thought then may be irrelevant.
IMO, neither is a #1.

I think it's very relevant. If they drafted them to be the 1/2 tandem of the future, they're not going to give up on them after solid rookie years and disappointing sophomore years (and I don't think we should either, tbqh). If Shields is in fact done, I think it's highly likely that the front office view them as our 1/2 for the foreseeable future.

Viper556

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't understand the criticism of the offensive line. The unit has done a great job overall this season.

Maybe for pass protection, but it hasnt ever seemed all that great for run blocking. Not that that in and of itself is a bad thing, it just means that we need a certain kind of RB IMHO. Someone with good vision and quickness. I just don't think what we have now is it.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all in on Dalvin Cook as a 1st Round pick. We need someone who can make guys miss, and when he does get into the open field, make the defense pay. I see that in Cook.

Keep in mind this defense is built to play with a lead. So with that mindset we need to make the offense more deadly. If the defense is playing with two and three score leads, that's when Clay, Daniels, Clark, Guion, and maybe still Peppers can be at their best.

I also go with the logic that by spending a 1st Rounder and 2nd Rounder on CBs two years ago, I don't see us spending another 1st pick so soon. This draft is deep at CB, with 10 players receiving a 1st Round Grade, and 4 more receiving 2nd and 3rd Round Grades, I don't see all 10 going in the first, so if anything, TT could get great value in the 2nd but even still I don't want a CB chosen then unless it's truly someone too good to pass up.

The 2nd Round I would like a pass rusher unless, Peppers continues playing. If Peppers plays another year, Fackrell and Lowry can continue to develop without being thrust into the limelight. 3-4 pass rushers are kinda thin this year, so if TT chose one in the 1st, I wouldn't necessarily be surprised, but with how thin pass rushers are I'm concerned that it might be a reach. At this spot I like Charles Harris from Missouri or Tim Williams from Alabama.

In the 3rd I expect TT to go either OL/TE/CB (in that order). Depending on what's available. But I'm expecting us to not retain everyone on the offensive line, so OL needs to be addressed. This draft IMHO is really poor for OL, so it's kind of now or never to get someone who might be able to play significant snaps right away. I like Taylor Moton from Western Michigan or Javarius Leamon from South Carolina State.

I'll wait for later in the season to do Rounds 4-7.

D

Deleted member 6794

Do you think we spent a 1st on Randall and 2nd on Rollins expecting them to never be able to play #1CB?

It doesn't matter what the front office expected at the time the Packers drafted Randall and Rollins as currently there's no reason to believe either one of them is capable of becoming a #1 cornerback. The team should use the $9 million of cap space it gains by releasing Shields to address the position in free agency.

If Shields is in fact done, I think it's highly likely that the front office view them as our 1/2 for the foreseeable future.

That would be a terrible mistake.

Maybe for pass protection, but it hasnt ever seemed all that great for run blocking.

I agree the Packers offensive line excels in pass protection and is at best average blocking for the run. A running back capable of creating yards on his own can be successful behind this line though.

I also go with the logic that by spending a 1st Rounder and 2nd Rounder on CBs two years ago, I don't see us spending another 1st pick so soon.

I understand Packers fans have forgotten about it but there's something called free agency to acquire players as well.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what the front office expected at the time the Packers drafted Randall and Rollins as currently there's no reason to believe either one of them is capable of becoming a #1 cornerback. The team should use the $9 million of cap space it gains by releasing Shields to address the position in free agency.

Yes, it does matter, because the question isn't "what does captainWIMM think the Packers should do?" it's "what will the Packers front office do?" They have demonstrated time and time again that they will stick by their drafted guys through a rookie contract and see if they grow to fill the role they were drafted for. I don't think this time will be any different.

And spending cap space to fill the #1 cb spot... again, that sounds great, but this is about what our front office will do, and there's no reason to believe they'd do that. The FA class at CB is kinda weak also.

I'm not at all opposed to drafting a CB in the 1st round this year. We do have to at least add quality depth to replace Shields. I don't think it's going to be viewed as our number 1 need though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, it does matter, because the question isn't "what does captainWIMM think the Packers should do?" it's "what will the Packers front office do?" They have demonstrated time and time again that they will stick by their drafted guys through a rookie contract and see if they grow to fill the role they were drafted for. I don't think this time will be any different.

And spending cap space to fill the #1 cb spot... again, that sounds great, but this is about what our front office will do, and there's no reason to believe they'd do that. The FA class at CB is kinda weak also.

It would be extremely stupid to not add a #1 cornerback because two years ago the plan was either Randall or Rollins taking over that spot at some point. First of all with Shields under contract through 2017 I'm not convinced that was the plan in the first place and neither of them has proven to be capable of.

The Packers gain $9 million in cap space by releasing Shields next offseason. That money should be spent on a cornerback.

D

Deleted member 6794

I haven't even considered who would be available this year in FA, but that's because I believe neither will TT....

As I've mentioned in another thread if Thompson is still the Packers general manager next offseason there's no reason to talk about free agents.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Although Captain just pointed out, its useless to talk about FA's right now and I agree......but in the CB dept. to me this will be the perfect time to go after a solid FA CB. There is no guarantee that you will get that with anyone, but I think a much higher probability in the FA market then the draft. Do the Packers really want to play 2017 with a Rookie CB alongside too many unknowns?

The level of play at which Randall and Rollins end this season will determine how big of a priority the CB position is. But IMO, its much like what we saw at ILB last year.....bring in a vet CB to strengthen the position and add depth.

Yeah I know......TT and FA's.......

Sky King

Reaction score
It's always worth noting the year after TT departed Seattle they went to the Super Bowl the very next season. They also delved into free-agency a bit more after he left. They've been to the SB three times more than GB since TT departed, as well. Drop a feather on one side of a perfectly balanced scale and it will tip that (team's) way.

I always wonder if the Packers would have appeared in more SBs had they just had another serviceable vet or two on their rosters during the past 10 seasons. Not necessarily a Woodson or Peppers but somebody that would have replaced the caliber of an M.D. Jennings, Barclay, etc. Some reasonably priced vets who could actually contribute solid games when they're needed. UDFAs and late-rounders have not been getting that done consistently or at all, obviously. Oh, so close to a SB appearance some years but not quite enough.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The level of play at which Randall and Rollins end this season will determine how big of a priority the CB position is. But IMO, its much like what we saw at ILB last year.....bring in a vet CB to strengthen the position and add depth.

Maybe I'm missing something, but who did we add at ILB? McCray was dumped off to the Bills for a 7th Round Pick. In my eyes a 7th Rounder is pretty much just a practice squad or training camp body these days.

Also, has anyone considered who's even available at CB this year in FA? I haven't done any real research on the relative unknowns but a couple names that are easily recognizable are:

Prince Amukamara
Captain Munnerlyn
Stephon Gilmore
Morris Claiborne
D.J. Hayden
Dre Kirkpatrick
Leon Hall
Brandon Boykin

The first four we would almost certainly have to lose Shields as they are going to come with a hefty price tag, the others, it really just depends on the market.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, but who did we add at ILB? McCray was dumped off to the Bills for a 7th Round Pick. In my eyes a 7th Rounder is pretty much just a practice squad or training camp body these days.

That was my point and I didn't complete my thoughts well, sorry, but I figured everyone knew the scenario at ILB last year. We didn't add any Vet experience at ILB, same as the CB position was treated after injuries decimated it this year. TT relied on two young guys (Ryan and Thomas) as well as drafting Martinez to fill 2 positions that have been very weak for too long. While I'm not saying that when healthy Ryan and Martinez haven't done a decent job, but the position still would have been better addressed, IMO, with a veteran last off season.

So IMO, if Shields isn't back and our CB's continue to play at the level they have, we need to seriously look at a quality vet FA CB. Only drafting one in the first or second round will be a lot riskier of a way to address the current need.

D

Deleted member 6794

Also, has anyone considered who's even available at CB this year in FA? I haven't done any real research on the relative unknowns but a couple names that are easily recognizable are:

Prince Amukamara
Captain Munnerlyn
Stephon Gilmore
Morris Claiborne
D.J. Hayden
Dre Kirkpatrick
Leon Hall
Brandon Boykin

Boykin might be an interesting and cheap option after missing this season because of a pectoral injury. I wouldn't be interested in Hall (age) or Hayden (performance) at all.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually especially like Hall because of his age. He is a proven veteran and we can sign him for the veteran minimum and he could potentially start alongside Shields if he stays around. If not, he could start and mentor Randall and Rollins along the way until retirement. He's exactly what we need, a short term solution that can play significant snaps right away.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I actually especially like Hall because of his age. He is a proven veteran and we can sign him for the veteran minimum and he could potentially start alongside Shields if he stays around. If not, he could start and mentor Randall and Rollins along the way until retirement. He's exactly what we need, a short term solution that can play significant snaps right away.

How do you know we can sign him for Vet. Min? Giants are currently paying him $1.5M. Not saying he wouldn't be a bad or a good signing, that all depends on how much he has left in his tank as well as what it takes to bring him to GB.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Giants do not retain him, I'm looking at around the veteran minimum; or maybe even a little over. If he's signed for $1.5M I'm not saying he's isn't worth it either, but hopefully TT can work out a steal....provided he's interested.

But signing older, seasoned vets for a small fee seems to be TT's MO. Look at what we got with Cook.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If the Giants do not retain him, I'm looking at around the veteran minimum; or maybe even a little over. If he's signed for $1.5M I'm not saying he's isn't worth it either, but hopefully TT can work out a steal....provided he's interested.

But signing older, seasoned vets for a small fee seems to be TT's MO. Look at what we got with Cook.

I hear you. Although the jury is still out on Cook for me, I think there are low to mid range free agents each year that could help improve the Packers. Now all we need to do is convince TT of that ;)

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers could get Christian McCaffrey is MM decides to try and modernize the offense a little. Solomon Thomas, defensive end, from Stanford would be nice as well. If the Packers were to go corner in the first then someone like White from LSU might be interesting.