Ridiculously early draft thread

D

Deleted member 6794

No doubt CB is a position of need but I think they can land a good CB in the top of the second round and perhaps be able to pick up what I think is a franchise changing pick with McCaffrey in the first. He will likely declare for the draft because he has had enough exposure at Stanford and because Stanford doesn't fully take advantage of his skill set. In addition if you draft McCaffrey you are getting an instant massive upgrade to your special teams. He is a dynamic punt returner.

I don't consider McCaffrey to be a franchise changing pick. There are most likely two better running backs in next year's draft in Fournette and Cook.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be watching the Michigan-Ohio St. game today to watch Peppers play. I encourage everyone else to as well.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be watching the Michigan-Ohio St. game today to watch Peppers play. I encourage everyone else to as well.

Not just Peppers, be sure to watch Jourdan Lewis on Michigan at CB and Gareon Conley the CB for Ohio State. Two prospects that might seriously help us out.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not just Peppers, be sure to watch Jourdan Lewis on Michigan at CB and Gareon Conley the CB for Ohio State. Two prospects that might seriously help us out.
Yeah, those two have looked good too. I'm no draft expert, but CB seems to be a deep position for the 2017 draft.

Reaction score
I wonder just how often the predictions and those of who my fellow fans want comes true.

Is there anyone here who can honestly say, "Yeah, I wanted so and so and we got him!"
It's pretty rare with all the available draft players to pick an exact 26th pick. Picking the position is hard enough and naming one exact pick with all the 32 team variables would be equivalent to a Trifecta in horse betting.
I did see someone in here comment that we should pick up Christine Michael when he was waived by a Seattle... and we actually signed him A short time later, which I thought was pretty insightful.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sick game out of my ncaaf man crush, mike williams
i do want a new WR1, but it's not anywhere near the top of my list for draft needs this year
still, there are scenarios i could envision where he'd be a reasonable choice in the 1st
like if fournette and allllll of the premier D talent is gone, then i'd be game

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want Jake Butt on this team. He is exactly the kind of TE we need. Projecting him sucks though because he is not a top 15 pick but he is probably gone around 35 give or take a few.

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends what happens with Shields I guess. If he's gone, then Jalen Tabor CB, Florida. Guy looks awesome. If not, then a premier pass rusher to replace Peppers. Then again, Ted probably takes some Lineman nobody mocked to us lol. This draft should be deep at RB and corner st least. Smart money would be on a pass rusher.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm kind of done on using our first rounder on a defensive player, hasn't really worked out that well. Sure, we need more help on defense, but how much longer do we have AR? Find him a playmaker WR. No guarantees on anyone you pick, of course, but I at least want to see what AR could do with a speedy, tall WR, with good hands.....that knows how to run routes.

Last edited:

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Butt and King with the 1st 2 picks and I am happy as ****.

I'm not sure whether I'd prefer Bucky Hodges or Jake Butt if they were available in round 2. Hodges is a freak, a WR in a TE's body. But that's also his weakness -- not known for his blocking. Sort of a JMF clone. Jake Butt is the more complete TE. He can do everything a TE is supposed to do and he does them well.

I'm assuming OJ Howard is long gone by round 2.

King would be good. I'd prefer **** Tabor but he'll probably be off the board by the time the Packers pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You talking about Jeff Janis??? :sneaky:

LOL......that was why I went back immediately and added "knows how to run routes". ;)

Jordy for years gave AR a good reliable target and I think Cobb and other WR's benefited from that threat. Jordy isn't getting any younger, may have lost a step and I just don't see anyone on the current roster that I would view as being anymore then a #2 or #3. If the Packers end up picking in the top 10 spots, this might be the year to finally spend a first rounder on a stud WR, someone who will provide AR that weapon he currently lacks for the rest of his time in GB.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now, I almost want Dalvin Cook over Fournette. I'm a little worried about the fumbles, but he's so talented.
I might be starting to tend this way. He seems to be better at setting up his blockers, while Fournette will enter as one of the most imposing physical specimens at RB in the league. I was worried about Cook's size at 205, but given that he's made 1,000 yards after contact, that might not be an issue. Fournette likely won't make it to us, anyway. Tough choice.

Viper556

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With our online, we need an electric RB to do anything. Anyone see Taylor Gabriel today? Yeah, like that. He can make something out of nothing. Was juking guys out of their jock straps today.

D

Deleted member 6794

With our online, we need an electric RB to do anything. Anyone see Taylor Gabriel today? Yeah, like that. He can make something out of nothing. Was juking guys out of their jock straps today.

I'm in favor of the Packers adding a change of pace, mostly third down running back as well but Gabriel is a wide receiver though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm in favor of the Packers adding a change of pace, mostly third down running back as well but Gabriel is a wide receiver though.
and we have at least 3 of those that have played RB, we don't need anymore :)

Viper556

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, just meant we need someone with speed and quickness who can make something out of nothing with our online.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, just meant we need someone with speed and quickness who can make something out of nothing with our online.
Honestly, there hasn't been a great sample size. Lacy can set up and follow his blocks, and he did well behind the line. I think Cook is just as capable of doing the same, while being more explosive, albeit smaller.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm very curious to know how our front office feels about our secondary right now. It seems like a position of need after this year, but really, we just dropped a 1 and 2 on dbacks. I could easily see them thinking that it was just an injury-plagued, down, sophomore slump year and feeling good enough about the future of the secondary to wait until later rounds to add depth.

Latest posts