Ridiculously early draft thread

P

proudsoftballdad

Fournette is a game changer and the best RB in the last ten years . Look what a running game did for Dallas and Fournetee is way better the Eillot. Y OU WANT TO OPEN UP THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD have a back like Fournette in your backfield a back you have to respect every time he touchs the ball. Eddie could get tough yards but you did not have to worry about him cracking off a 30 40 yard run very often Fournette is capable of that everytime he touchs the ball plus he helps your deff by giving long rests on the sidelines. To me it's a no branier.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eddie could rip off some big gainers too, problem was he would be gassed. They guy ran hard, I love the way he runs. I wouldn't care if he never got a 40 yard run again, his 4-12 yard runs were punishing to defenses. But defenses didn't care much any more because he could never finish a drive. 4 carries and he was done till the next possession. So you give up a first down or two, big deal.

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching the Rose Bowl last January, McCaffery looks like a once in a generation type of player. He looks like the next Marshall Faulk. The Packers are totally depleted at RB. Since good CB's wilL be available in the top of the second round, I hope we go RB, CB and TE in the first there rounds.

Though I agree with you that I would love to see a back like McCaffery on the roster next season, that's all depended if he declares for the draft next year. If he does I do think he would go either late first round or early second. Late enough that Green Bay can use their first pick on something and either hope he falls in the second or trade up to the last first.

P

proudsoftballdad

Eddie could rip off some big gainers too, problem was he would be gassed. They guy ran hard, I love the way he runs. I wouldn't care if he never got a 40 yard run again, his 4-12 yard runs were punishing to defenses. But defenses didn't care much any more because he could never finish a drive. 4 carries and he was done till the next possession. So you give up a first down or two, big deal.
No doubt he could but what you said proves my point one run and done Eddie did not strike fear in a defensive or make them game plan for him.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A back to look at in rounds 3-4 would be Kareem Hunt RB Toledo. Very shifty back with a body to run between the tackles also. If we don't land Fournette or McCaffrey in round 1 then he would be my number 3 back that could really help this offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

And except for the injuries higher up the food chain, that is most likely where Hawkins would have landed after Goodson came back. Or Brice. Or the other dude..

Well, the Packers kept three undrafted rookies on the final roster therefore even without injuries two of them would have stayed on the 53 once Goodson returned.

After watching the Rose Bowl last January, McCaffery looks like a once in a generation type of player. He looks like the next Marshall Faulk. The Packers are totally depleted at RB. Since good CB's wilL be available in the top of the second round, I hope we go RB, CB and TE in the first there rounds.

I would rather have the Packers spend a first round puck on a cornerback as it's possible to select an impact running back later in the draft.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the Packers kept three undrafted rookies on the final roster therefore even without injuries two of them would have stayed on the 53 once Goodson returned.

I would rather have the Packers spend a first round puck on a cornerback as it's possible to select an impact running back later in the draft.
No doubt CB is a position of need but I think they can land a good CB in the top of the second round and perhaps be able to pick up what I think is a franchise changing pick with McCaffrey in the first. He will likely declare for the draft because he has had enough exposure at Stanford and because Stanford doesn't fully take advantage of his skill set. In addition if you draft McCaffrey you are getting an instant massive upgrade to your special teams. He is a dynamic punt returner.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TE-Oj Howard from Bama. 6foot 6inches 242lbs and run a 4.5 in the 40.

Packers have many needs. RB, TE, CB, WR. Assuming they go 6-10 or 7-9 and are picking around #10, I think Fournette would be the best choice. He's a potential Todd Gurley sans the injuries or Ezekiel Elliot. Starks and Lacy are done in GB.

If the Packers are picking mid-round or they trade back, I'd have no problem with Howard then.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If the Packers are picking mid-round or they trade back
They trade back to 18-22 out of say 10th and I will be extremely frustrated. Impact players are more likely in the top slots, not in the 2nd half of the round. They've been there most of the past 20 years and the lack of impact players is why they would be getting into the earlier draft slots.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have many needs. RB, TE, CB, WR. Assuming they go 6-10 or 7-9 and are picking around #10, I think Fournette would be the best choice. He's a potential Todd Gurley sans the injuries or Ezekiel Elliot. Starks and Lacy are done in GB.

If the Packers are picking mid-round or they trade back, I'd have no problem with Howard then.
I agree with you i would love fournette, but you don't find guys like Howard just floating around neither. I would be gracefully happy with either pick lol

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh, I think the RB position is too deep this year to spend our first pick on. I'd much rather try and get a pass rusher early in the 1st round. Derek Barnett should be available here.

One guy I really want to get is Curtis Samuel from Ohio State. He would instantly add speed and play making ability to an offense that sorely needs it.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh, I think the RB position is too deep this year to spend our first pick on. I'd much rather try and get a pass rusher early in the 1st round. Derek Barnett should be available here.

One guy I really want to get is Curtis Samuel from Ohio State. He would instantly add speed and play making ability to an offense that sorely needs it.

We don't need any more slot receivers. This team has too many now. We need an X receiver to replace Jordy or be #2. That being said, I think we go pass rusher or potential shut down corner in the first and follow up with a pretty good running back in the second. Wouldn't be mad with a good tight end either.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my mind the 49ers take Fournette with the #7 pick. Not very confident Fournette will be available for us, unless we keep playing like we have. Then you never know.

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they were to draft a RB in the first round I would only want them to get Fournette and in the latest CBS mock draft they have Green Bay selecting him in the first with the 14th pick. The mock draft came out on the 22nd.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...bears-tab-mitch-trubisky-as-the-future-at-qb/

I would love to have McCaffrey but he would be a reach with a high pick that the Packers will probably have. They could nab him in the second if he falls or trade back into the first to get him. The only thing that I don't like too much about him is that I don't think he would be able to be an every down back in the NFL due to his size. I don't see him being able to get more then 15-20 touches a game. He also struggles in pass protection. Though those two things could be worked on in training and such.

IMO I believe they need to go for a shutdown corner
or a good enge rusher with there first pick.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they were to draft a RB in the first round I would only want them to get Fournette and in the latest CBS mock draft they have Green Bay selecting him in the first with the 14th pick. The mock draft came out on the 22nd.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...bears-tab-mitch-trubisky-as-the-future-at-qb/

I would love to have McCaffrey but he would be a reach with a high pick that the Packers will probably have. They could nab him in the second if he falls or trade back into the first to get him. The only thing that I don't like too much about him is that I don't think he would be able to be an every down back in the NFL due to his size. I don't see him being able to get more then 15-20 touches a game. He also struggles in pass protection. Though those two things could be worked on in training and such.

IMO I believe they need to go for a shutdown corner
or a good enge rusher with there first pick.

You wouldn't want Cook? He's got all the tools to be a Marshall Faulk type player.

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You wouldn't want Cook? He's got all the tools to be a Marshall Faulk type player.

I wouldn't mind him but I just believe there are greater needs with the first pick then RB. The only reason I am in favor of drafting Fournette in the first round is because he is a monster and would do wonders for the offense. But I wouldn't be upset one bit if they passed on Fournette to pick up a CB or LB, just as long as it's not a reach pick or a pick where TT expects the coaching staff to make a player switch positions due to scheme.

Sky King

Reaction score
What the Packers need to avoid now is the unnecessary creation of even more holes on the roster. Despite some sub-par play out of certain veterans that should be playing better than they have so far this season. Replacing them with more unproven, inexperienced rookies and UDFAs would only further exacerbate the dearth of talent on this team. Sometimes a veteran that is on the decline may still be a better option than an unproven young player. Until the veteran finally goes "Hawk" they may present the team with a better option for another season or two despite their ends clearly coming into view over the horizon.

They've got only so many draft picks with which to succeed. Realistically, it's going to take at least a few stellar drafts to find and develop even a very small handful of playmakers, plus to make-up for some tepid recent drafts. And that's a big maybe, especially if Thompson trades down only to accumulate additional draft picks (with likely watered-down abilities). Less-talented picks (but more of them) would not ensure that this team will perform any different on the field than it does in the status quo. It needs more playmakers. Plus, over the course of a couple more seasons additional holes in the roster will inevitably be created through normal attrition and unexpected injuries.

There's a well-known tool designed for use by GMs that can help them to avoid stubbornly treading the waters of mediocrity. Free agency is a TT loathed skill-set that's been needlessly ignored in Green Bay despite genuine needs. That bias may have finally caught up to this team.

While I doubt that TT will be even a little more bold with dabbling in free-agency than he has been in the past, it may be the only viable way he can return this team back to elite status before his current contract expires, and his QB gets too close to reaching the end himself. Thompson is widely considered to be a conservative GM, yet he goes all-in by risking his team's fortunes almost exclusively in the draft and UDFA acquisitions. It's of his own doing that he keeps one hand chronically tied behind his back -- shunning a most useful resource that has always been available for him to use judiciously for filling-in those pesky holes on his team's roster. He's on the most radical side of avoiding free-agency compared to all other NFL GMs. He may need to reluctantly inch closer to the middle.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I doubt that TT will be even a little more bold with dabbling in free-agency than he has been in the past, it may be the only viable way he can return this team back to elite status before his current contract expires, and his QB gets too close to reaching the end himself.

That is....if TT isn't already a free agent himself, when the free agency signings start.