Ridiculously early draft thread

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6 weeks left in the regular season A LOT of things will change but name the one guy you would want right now. Now lets keep it real too, if everything stayed true and per nfl.com we would have the 9th pick who would you pick if we have a pick anywhere from 9-15?
Me I am going Dalvin Cook. Yes I know our defense is porous but *if* healthy I still feel like our secondary is pretty dang good. Our lb's especially martinez and hawk errr i mean ryan with another year under their belts will be substantially better. D line is meh, but to me you get the hungry big boys in the next few rounds unless the likes of watt or someone like him is available. But we get a runner that can break off big clips forget about it.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

If we were to get cook, this would be me and probably quite a few of us at the 1:00 mark, just saying....

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jabrill Peppers if he is available at 9, but we shouldn't have to worry anyway because come January we'll be top 5. He's the best athlete in the draft and can play corner just as well as safety.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Would you guys stop getting me excited about the Packers losing the rest of their games! :rolleyes:

Now I know what the Cleveland Browns fans are feeling like every year!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you guys stop getting me excited about the Packers losing the rest of their games! :rolleyes:

Now I know what the Cleveland Browns fans are feeling like every year!
All those top draft choices didn't seem to help them much....

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jabrill Peppers if he is available at 9, but we shouldn't have to worry anyway because come January we'll be top 5. He's the best athlete in the draft and can play corner just as well as safety.
Peppers would be my choice as well.
He's a Swiss Army Knife and a helluva football player.

D

Deleted member 6794

In my opinion the Packers have to select a cornerback in the first round. It's too early for me to come up with a name though.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion the Packers have to select a cornerback in the first round. It's too early for me to come up with a name though.
My early wish-list candidate is CB Marlon Humphrey - Bama, with the 1st round pick.

Would LOVE coming back in the 2nd round with RB - Royce Freeman as our next between-the-tackles-workhorse.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My early wish-list candidate is CB Marlon Humphrey - Bama, with the 1st round pick.

Would LOVE coming back in the 2nd round with RB - Royce Freeman as our next between-the-tackles-workhorse.

I don't know man. Marlon makes a ton of mental errors and people question Royce's passion for the game. Plus he's been running east and west a lot more than north and south.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If TJ Watt declares for the draft this year, I hope the Packers can grab him. From what I have read, he would be an early second round pick this year. If he stays for his senior year and continues to do what he has been doing, he may be a top 10 pick in 2018.

Much like his big Brother JJ, TJ just started learning how to play OLB and just keeps improving on what is already an impressive skill set.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder just how often the predictions and those of who my fellow fans want comes true.

Is there anyone here who can honestly say, "Yeah, I wanted so and so and we got him!"

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6 weeks left in the regular season A LOT of things will change but name the one guy you would want right now. Now lets keep it real too, if everything stayed true and per nfl.com we would have the 9th pick who would you pick if we have a pick anywhere from 9-15?
Me I am going Dalvin Cook. Yes I know our defense is porous but *if* healthy I still feel like our secondary is pretty dang good. Our lb's especially martinez and hawk errr i mean ryan with another year under their belts will be substantially better. D line is meh, but to me you get the hungry big boys in the next few rounds unless the likes of watt or someone like him is available. But we get a runner that can break off big clips forget about it.

If we were to get cook, this would be me and probably quite a few of us at the 1:00 mark, just saying....

We need help at CB, Shields is about done with football and who knows if either Randall or Rollins is going to turn into a starter. I like both of them but I wouldn't bet on both of them holding down the 1 and 2 CB spots next year. Hawkins is a promising player who has a lot of growing up to do and Gunter should never be on the field if he's not in the slot.

I think we need to look at our roster and take stock of what we have.

OL: Taylor Linsley Tretter look like keepers, Bakh I think was overpaid and he might lose his spot next year if Spriggs has a quality offseason, I could see Murphy eventually replacing Bulaga. Lang is an All-Pro when healthy but he's never healthy.

RB: If Lacy is our guy we need a real change of pace back, not sure Starks provides the most contrast even if he does attack the line faster... if too upright when crossing the LoS. Love Ripkowski, kid can play.

WR: Davante is looking more and more like a future stud, Nelson seems to be returning to form. Cobb isn't worth what we're paying him and the rest... I like Allison, and Davis looks to be a year away.

TE: Just a dumpster fire.

DL: Daniels is a legit defensive centerpiece although he's not a natural team leader, a sound and fury guy that everyone ignores. Kenny Clark looks like a great long term player at the NT, good pickup. I like Mike Pennel as well, Guion is the jolly green giant against bad OLs and a throw rug against teams that block well.

ILB: I like Jake and Blake here, should probably consider moving Matthews to this position group permanently. He just can't stay healthy outside, or maybe change up his conditioning, less focus on leg strength/explosiveness and more on the power yoga.

Safety: I like Brice and Evans but those two are a year away from being reliable contributors. Burnett can't seem to stay healthy, and I guess I like Ha Ha.

OLB: Clay isn't worth his contract, the guy is supremely talented but misses too many games and too often when he is on the field he's slowed by injuries. Nick Perry is a beast but who knows if he can stay healthy. Fackrell needs a year in the weight room. Peppers can still play but he's not worth what we're paying him. Datone Jones shows plenty of ability at the position but it seems that there are better players ahead of him.

CB: Injuries or not our would be starters looked bad even when healthy. We need an extra high round body in this group stat.

Scheme: Needs changing on both sides of the ball. We need a simpler albeit similar defense. Offense scrap the run n' shoot crap and go back to more of a traditional WCO.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TJ Watt declares for the draft this year, I hope the Packers can grab him. From what I have read, he would be an early second round pick this year. If he stays for his senior year and continues to do what he has been doing, he may be a top 10 pick in 2018.

Much like his big Brother JJ, TJ just started learning how to play OLB and just keeps improving on what is already an impressive skill set.

Depends, I love TJ but A) he's got an injury history and B) he looks like he needs a year in the weight room at this level. 6'5 and 243 is a bit of a Fackrellesque build. I hope he stays and shows that he can play at 255 pounds... and improve his game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Depends, I love TJ but A) he's got an injury history and B) he looks like he needs a year in the weight room at this level. 6'5 and 243 is a bit of a Fackrellesque build. I hope he stays and shows that he can play at 255 pounds... and improve his game.

I'm not too worried about TJ's size, much like his brother, he has been working hard in the weight room and slowly building on what will most likely end up being a JJ Watt body type. Both brothers came to WI as TE's, tall but rather smallish elsewhere. While he had 2 knee injuries early on, he got through last season and this season healthy (so far), so not sure I would let that bother me as well.

While a year in the weight room as well as a year playing full time in college may serve him well, I would take a long hard look at him if he declares early and is still on the board in the second round.

JJ Watt's "Growth"

D

Deleted member 6794

Hawkins is a promising player who has a lot of growing up to do and Gunter should never be on the field if he's not in the slot.

I'm getting tired of hearing about an undrafted free agent being a promising player. Aside of several plays in the preseason and practice he hasn't done anything that makes me believe he will turn into a decent NFL cornerback especially as he hasn't been able to take snaps away from any of the struggling CBs and safeties having passed him on the depth chart.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm getting tired of hearing about an undrafted free agent being a promising player. Aside of several plays in the preseason and practice he hasn't done anything that makes me believe he will turn into a decent NFL cornerback especially as he hasn't been able to take snaps away from any of the struggling CBs and safeties having passed him on the depth chart.

Promising doesn't mean much Wimm, it just means that the player has ability. Whether or not he develops into a player who can contribute is an open question at this point.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He can also play WR and out of the backfield.
It's also been said that he's a hellacious hot dog vendor.
IMO, he doesn't get out of the top 5.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Promising doesn't mean much Wimm, it just means that the player has ability. Whether or not he develops into a player who can contribute is an open question at this point.
A low-round or UDFA CB has quite the uphill battle if they don't have blazing speed. Shields was "raw" coming out but had 4.26 speed so he could recover from some mistakes. Hawkins has 4.39 speed so he has the required speed. Gunter has 4.69 speed so unless he's technically perfect is toast, as we've seen quite a few times.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with that but a promising player not being ready to play at the pro level shouldn't be on the active roster but the practice squad. Unfortunately most of these guys haven't contributed for the Packers lately.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with that but a promising player not being ready to play at the pro level shouldn't be on the active roster but the practice squad. Unfortunately most of these guys haven't contributed for the Packers lately.
And except for the injuries higher up the food chain, that is most likely where Hawkins would have landed after Goodson came back. Or Brice. Or the other dude..

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see them pick up Peppers from Michigan. If they somewhat turn the season around and pick somewhere after 15 I would like to see Desmond King from Iowa. That kid can play and would be a huge upgrade IMO.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching the Rose Bowl last January, McCaffery looks like a once in a generation type of player. He looks like the next Marshall Faulk. The Packers are totally depleted at RB. Since good CB's wilL be available in the top of the second round, I hope we go RB, CB and TE in the first there rounds.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts