Ridiculously early draft thread

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davante Adams is a perfect example of how you can tell exactly how a player will turn out after only two years in the NFL....

While greatly improved, Adams hasn't proved anything yet. Nice job of cherry picking; wonder how many opposite examples there are? Like year 3 of Barclay, Bradford, Janis, Elliott, Pennel, etc, etc. But hey, we should extend them all because we're not sure yet.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If we win out I don't believe we get the chance at those 2. My guess they both go Top 10 or 12

That actually brings up an interesting topic and maybe best for an entire thread if its own.

At this point in the season would you rather the Packers win out and potentially not even make the playoffs but causing them to drop further back in the draft. Or would you rather, in the case of them not making the playoffs (or one and done), they lose, which secures them a higher spot in each round of the draft AND the chance of potential changes in management/coaching probably become more likely.

While I never want the Packers to lose, this is one of those seasons where winning games at the end, may end up being more costly in the future.

Sky King

Reaction score
That actually brings up an interesting topic and maybe best for an entire thread if its own.

At this point in the season would you rather the Packers win out and potentially not even make the playoffs but causing them to drop further back in the draft. Or would you rather, in the case of them not making the playoffs (or one and done), they lose, which secures them a higher spot in each round of the draft AND the chance of potential changes in management/coaching probably become more likely.

While I never want the Packers to lose, this is one of those seasons where winning games at the end, may end up being more costly in the future.
Take one step back in order to eventually take two steps forward? That depends on fans' tolerance level for enduring the bad I guess. Even then there's no guarantee that the GM, whomever that may be, will draft a blue chipper instead of a bust. I endured the Gory Years. No thanks on a redux. This last 25 years has been much more enjoyable for me.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we lose because we were beaten, fine. If we lose because someone was playing for a draft position? We'll be destined to become the browns

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This actually seems to be one of the better draft classes when it comes to the first round. We wouldn't need to blow the season in order to get a quality player; players like Foster, Peppers, Humphrey, and Cunningham are all projected to go 15-25.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
B
This actually seems to be one of the better draft classes when it comes to the first round. We wouldn't need to blow the season in order to get a quality player; players like Foster, Peppers, Humphrey, and Cunningham are all projected to go 15-25.

But will TT get home runs though, his last draft was just so average. Most people didn't grade us higher than a C+.

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But will TT get home runs though, his last draft was just so average. Most people didn't grade us higher than a C+.

TT will have to hit home runs. He needs to draft at least one, maybe two, players that will have a direct impact on the team. If he has another draft like the last few then I don't believe he will be back for another draft, especially if he doesn't fix some of the problems through free agency.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
B

This last draft was one of their safest, yet it was quite Meh. I have hope for Lowry, but it's most likely that we not only have no special players, but that we only have an average starter or two.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IMO, Peppers will be gone in the top half dozen.

D

Deleted member 6794

I actually especially like Hall because of his age. He is a proven veteran and we can sign him for the veteran minimum and he could potentially start alongside Shields if he stays around. If not, he could start and mentor Randall and Rollins along the way until retirement. He's exactly what we need, a short term solution that can play significant snaps right away.

I would prefer the Packers to add a #1 cornerback capable of manning the position for several years. The team should use the cap savings gained by releasing Shields to bring in a younger one than Hall.

But signing older, seasoned vets for a small fee seems to be TT's MO. Look at what we got with Cook.

There's no doubt Thompson's MO is draft and develop. Unfortunately he doesn't use free agency often enough to address positions of need.

If the Packers win out they will most likely make the playoffs. Therefore there's no reason to even think about rooting against them.

There's absolutely no point in discussing grades immediately after the draft. It takes at least two years to make an educated guess about a draft class.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If we lose because we were beaten, fine. If we lose because someone was playing for a draft position? We'll be destined to become the browns

Correct, I would never want to find out that the Packers were playing to lose to better their draft position. I was merely asking the question: "In the big picture, would losing all 5 remaining games ultimately be better for the Packers, than winning a few and missing the playoffs, or winning all 5 and getting knocked out in the first round?"

As much as I want to see the Packers win, if we happen to lose the rest of our games and it prompts change as well as a higher draft position, I wouldn't be totally unhappy. Of course the optimistic Packer side of me wants to see this team to continue to improve and win out.

Sky King

Reaction score
I couldn't ever cheer for them to lose. Ever. No matter what the circumstances.

The Gory Years tempered me. Fans cherished anything positive back then, especially the very hard-to-come-by victories. Never again would I ever want to dig so deep for something to cheer about that seeing a Packer player in the top-ten of any statistical category was the best we fans could do. Brewers and Bucks fans understand this only too well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I couldn't ever cheer for them to lose. Ever. No matter what the circumstances.

The Gory Years tempered me. Fans cherished anything positive back then, especially the very hard-to-come-by victories. Never again would I ever want to dig so deep for something to cheer about that seeing a Packer player in the top-ten of any statistical category was the best we fans could do. Brewers and Bucks fans understand this only too well.

The only time I ever remember hoping the Packers lost was back in 1988. If the Packers lost their last game of the year against the Cardinals, they would have gotten the #1 pick in the draft and the Cowboys the #2. Packers won that day 26-17 and ended up choosing Tony Mandarich with their #2 and the Cowboys got Troy Aikman with the #1. Wonder how different the 90's and beyond would have looked in Green Bay had they gotten beat that day. I doubt Brett Favre would have ever been a Packer if Aikman would have ended up in Green Bay.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer the Packers to add a #1 cornerback capable of manning the position for several years. The team should use the cap savings gained by releasing Shields to bring in a younger one than Hall.

Hall probably has 2 more seasons in him, he could be used for veteran leadership to help Randall and Rollins fill in to their eventual roles. That value can't be understated.

There's no doubt Thompson's MO is draft and develop. Unfortunately he doesn't use free agency often enough to address positions of need.

I meant in terms of signing Free Agents, any star power he picks up is normally on the back end of their careers (Woodson & Peppers)

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hall probably has 2 more seasons in him, he could be used for veteran leadership to help Randall and Rollins fill in to their eventual roles. That value can't be understated.

I meant in terms of signing Free Agents, any star power he picks up is normally on the back end of their careers (Woodson & Peppers)
Woodson Played 8 years for the Raiders and then played an additional 9 years after the Packers signed him ( 7 for the Pack and an additional 2 for the Raiders). I would hardly characterize this as a pickup as a player is winding down his career.

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson Played 8 years for the Raiders and then played an additional 9 years after the Packers signed him ( 7 for the Pack and an additional 2 for the Raiders). I would hardly characterize this as a pickup as a player is winding down his career.

At the time the Packers signed him, many believed he was washed up due to a few years of not being able to stay healthy and some of his numbers going down. He is on record to have said that he did not want to come to Green Bay but was forced to because the Packers were the only team willing to offer him a contract. So his signing could be characterized as a pickup of a players career winding down.

I tried to find an article with the quote of him saying that but I couldn't find it. All I could find is this Bleacher Report article about his time in Green Bay. It is a Bleacher Report article though so take it as you will. If someone has the article then that would be great.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-rise-to-greatness-with-the-green-bay-packers

D

Deleted member 6794

I mostly agree about Thompson's use of free agency. In addition to Hall's age I don't believe he ever was a #1 cornerback on any team he played therefore I would like the team to add a younger cornerback that has performed in that role already.

At the time the Packers signed him, many believed he was washed up due to a few years of not being able to stay healthy and some of his numbers going down. He is on record to have said that he did not want to come to Green Bay but was forced to because the Packers were the only team willing to offer him a contract. So his signing could be characterized as a pickup of a players career winding down.

I tried to find an article with the quote of him saying that but I couldn't find it. If someone has the article then that would be great.

You're right about Woodson not wanting to come to Green Bay but the Packers being the only team that offered him a contract. Here's a link to Gary D'Amato's story about it from 2008:

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/29574599.html

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was seriously frustrating in those gory days. There was no salary cap, especially no rookie salary cap, the USFL, Canada, and the Aikmans and Elways would threaten to play baseball rather than play for some clubs.

As for today, I'm not a TT hater but, I'd like so see less concentration on numerics and stockpiling and let's just pick the right guy when it's our turn!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I tried to find an article with the quote of him saying that but I couldn't find it. All I could find is this Bleacher Report article about his time in Green Bay. It is a Bleacher Report article though so take it as you will. If someone has the article then that would be great.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-rise-to-greatness-with-the-green-bay-packers
I was aware of this as well... but one could say that Ted Thompson was more prescient than the other GMs in the league... or you could say he just got lucky. But either way it is a rare example of him taking some risk in free agency. That's something I wish he would do a little more of.

Members online

Latest posts