Reggie Begelton Thread

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont view funchess and Lazard as number 2s, more so good number 3s as their ceiling

I'm just being real

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont view funchess and Lazard as number 2s, more so good number 3s as their ceiling

I'm just being real

i hate to break it to you buddeh
but just because you don't think they're good enough doesn't mean we have any better on the roster\
embrace the fun-fun
it's all we have

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fellas already a thread on him from when added. Let's merge em if anything

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Merged new thread on Reggie to this one.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Article on Reggie:

https://dairylandexpress.com/2020/0...r-reggie-begelton-will-push-roster-spot-more/

“Reggie’s a tall but lankier receiver who’s primarily been a deep threat that is able to go up and attack the ball over smaller defenders. He’s got solid hands and has a knack of finding open space in both the deep and intermediate zones, but furthermore can tack on yards after the catch with his vision and acceleration with the ball. He’s not a burner, but more a medium to long-range threat who can turn 20-yard catches into 40 yards with the YAC.”

H

HardRightEdge

In the 70 years of the CFL plus 3 years of the CFL USA, the number of WRs who were CFL-to-NFL success stories can be counted on one hand after a few amputations.

Mervyn Fernandez (CFL), Joe Horn (CFL USA), and that's about it. Rocket Ishmail doesn't really count because he went for the money, 4 years / $18.2 mil from the Argonauts to be the face of the league, a king's ransom in 1991. Marino signed for 5 years / $23 mil that year, the NFL's highest paid player.

There were some lesser lights, but not many. #3 on the list after Fernandez and Horn might be Andrew "Baby Hawk" Hawkins who put up these NFL numbers:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HawkAn00.htm

You'd have to look long and hard for a #4. Who knows, it might be Duke Williams some day, the CFL receiving yards leader in 2018 who made the Bills practice squad last year and then played 4 games for them.

So, once you throw out the CFL stats as non-transferable, what do you really have with Begelton? The equivalent of a 27 year old UDFA rookie, a guy who played small college ball at Lamar and CFL ball. At least he's physically mature.

If you put CFL teams against LSU, Ohio State or any number of top ranked college teams on an NFL field with NFL rules, that college team would win the Grey Cup.

Based on what is known, Begelton is a long shot to make the roster. At his age he's probably not a good candidate for the practice squad unless there are a couple of WR injury inactives on opening day whose prognoses are uncertain.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I'd settle for a Joe Horn type guy
Funny. He'd be pleased as punch to just get Duke Williams' 2019 game checks and we should be quite surprised if he does.

The highest paid CFL player is on a 4 year / $CAD 2.9 mil. Once you convert to $US, that's less than the NFL rookie minimum.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't ever expect Reggie to be someone many consider a "success" as defined like many would. However, if he can grow into a solid #4 or even #5 type guy I 100% believe that is a success.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See no reason at all not to give the guy a chance. Unless there is some free agent in the same money category that you would rather see getting that chance. I have no expectations at all...positive or negative. Looking forward to seeing for myself.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Horn or bust!

I think he's a long shot, but like gpkrs said, no reason not to give him a chance. He has some stuff to work with

H

HardRightEdge

I don't ever expect Reggie to be someone many consider a "success" as defined like many would. However, if he can grow into a solid #4 or even #5 type guy I 100% believe that is a success.
That would be a wild success. In the 70 years of CFL play, I don't think there are 1/2 dozen WRs who started their careers in the CFL who would qualify on that basis. It's hard to tell, though, since a #5 WR might never see a thrown ball and is often on the roster as a special teams add.

LaFleur is impressed with Begelton's preparation in this video or audio conferenced off-season program. Well, that's one step below OTAs which are one step below camp practices, which are one stop below preseason game play, so do with that what you will.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have the same expectations for him as I do any Day 3 wideout drafted...hopefully realistic and cognizant of the massive hill in front of them.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously he's a long shot, I'm in Canada and the Calgary fans are really excited to see what he can do in the NFL. Given his skills for yards after the catch he could be the exact type of WR we need. Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and has been putting in the work. Lots of good press out about him and how Lafleur is impressed with him this far. Hope he makes it, he knows there's a battle ahead of him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Few discussions popping up in other threads, I deemed a thread worthy as we progress into next year with him...

Added on the futures deal recently Reggie will join the competition for a wide out spot.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Details per cfl site and pro day workout for 5 NFL teams:

Height: 6-2 ft
Weight: 205 lbs
40 time: 4.53
Vertical: 39.5

Last year in CFL for the Stampeders: 102 receptions, 1,444 yards and 10 touchdowns. He averaged 14.2 yards per catch and 837 yards of that 1,444 being after the catch yards.

Now his first two years he essentially only played half the seasons however in his rookie year his stats trended towards 44 receptions, 600 yards, and 2 TDs with 300 YAC and his second year trended towards 50 receptions, 1,000 yards and 3TDs with 325 YACs (rough rounded projections)

My personal takes:

Obviously being from Lamar the NFL was tough to get interest in and it seems the way he hit the CFL running and quickly becoming one of it's best receivers in the game should catch anyone's eye...but at the same time let's remember this is the CFL not the NFL.

However, that said he isn't coming in here being asked to be the #1...and I personally think the staff isn't realistically thinking he will fight for the #2 spot. I see this as an INSTANT depth guy with more experience at the professional level than ANYONE in our wide out room not named Adams at the moment. I don't think it is too much to ask him to compete for that 3/4 spot on the chart.

Positives IMO:

Hands. Dude appears to judge the pinnacle of contact well on jump balls...but also exhibits ability to lay out and yet not lose his hands.

Strength. While not a dude that is gonna scare folks, for his height and weight his frame seems VERY solid and he can when wants win contact battles.

YAC...he cuts, he spins, he has a speed burst (not a burner though).

Promising traits...but not quite positives IMO:

Routes. His route ability from the little I can find on youtube highlights clearly isn't as sharp as it will need to be in the NFL...but I can tell you right now the dude is crisper and smoother than MVS is and I'd argue a step ahead of Lazard as well. This crafted with NFL coaches and a HoF QB you're working with will only improve.

Negatives...IMO:

Inconsistent at attacking...some plays it seems he literally is willing to try and make a hole...other times I swear he gives away 2-4 yards not fighting....is it situational to the plays I'm seeing, to the game or just bad examples...who knows. A worry of mine nonetheless.

Is not winning a foot race against many DBs in NFL...but many successful receivers are not burners.

Unknowns....kid has hit the big time...can he adjust, can he absorb....he clearly can catch, run and jump well enough, but is he ready for the big time????

Personal Prediction:

He takes some time obviously...but does make it through cuts and is on the 53. By season's end is a viable 4th option playing primarily behind Adams/Lazard/WR not on team at the moment. He and EQ are duking it out for playing time. I'll predict a 32 reception/ 405 yards / 135 YAC / 3 TD year from him.
Nice analysis, and if he does as you predict, a worthy number 3/4 on the depth chart.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts