Reggie Begelton Thread

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone knew what the WR situation was going into the year. was talked about forever. Was not a surprise at all to me they didn't invest in offensive playmakers with a new headcoach that didn't really know his team or what he had to run an offense with.

6 bonafide starters in 1 offseason and still you expect more. That is an excellent offseason by any measure for a GM in one season. So a WR didn't step up. It happens.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need to do both. 2020 should look something like this, with the last 4 guys competing for playing time:
  • Adams
  • Vet FA
  • Lazard
  • High pick Rookie
  • MVS
  • EQB

I don't see us getting a vet and a high pick...I mean unless it is a low level veteran IMO. I think Gute knowing full well that he is gonna make some serious competition at the spot....I think we enter camp with the following in rough "expected order":

-Adams
-A mid or high tier WR FA or draft pick in day 1 or 2
-Lazard
-MVS/ESB/Begelton and a cheaply designed GMo
-Kumerow/later round draft picks and UDFAs

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't see us getting a vet and a high pick...I mean unless it is a low level veteran IMO
A lot will depend on what they do in Free Agency at ILB, TE and DL. I don't think they will or should go after a high price FA WR, but a more mid tier slot receiver. Moving forward only with what we currently have and just adding a rookie, who might take several years to fully contribute, wouldn't be a risk I would take if I was Gute. The offense needs receiving weapons instantly, that could include a high end TE as well.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot will depend on what they do in Free Agency at ILB, TE and DL. I don't think they will or should go after a high price FA WR, but a more mid tier slot receiver. Moving forward only with what we currently have and just adding a rookie, who might take several years to fully contribute, wouldn't be a risk I would take if I was Gute. The offense needs receiving weapons instantly, that could include a high end TE as well.

I don't necessarily disagree. I do however expect an elevated Ryan Grant type guy coming in the staff feels could contribute type FA. Perhaps a guy with some 500 yards and high catch rate that just hasnt panned out or isn't part of a teams plan moving forward type guy. I don't expect the name to be someone everyone knows at a glance honestly.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think THAT is where you and I will always disagree when it comes to that group of WR's. I am not using hindsight either, it was an observation that I made well before the season even started. Let's talk when the 2020 season opens and we can see how many of those 6 guys not named Adams are starters for the Packers or any other team.

I fully understand that you can't fill every position with Veteran players and that doesn't guarantee you squat even if you did (see Blake Martinez and the ILB state of affairs). What you can do though is not over rely and depend on too many of your starters having to improve during the course of a season, especially those that are unproven UDFA's or late round picks. If you don't see that was the case at WR, I can't explain it any other way. We saw that for years with TT at a multitude of positions (TE, RB, CB, ILB) and we all spent lots of ink in here talking and complaining about it.
This is while I’m still mystified that Gluten picked a “project” at #12 last year in Gary. IMHO, a #12 should be starting immediately, and with a good likelihood he’ll be an impact player. I’m sure there were plenty of other guys available who could have had a bigger contribution.

Ever the optimist, I’m hopeful Gary emerges next year as a force across the DL. Fingers crossed.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think THAT is where you and I will always disagree when it comes to that group of WR's. I am not using hindsight either, it was an observation that I made well before the season even started. Let's talk when the 2020 season opens and we can see how many of those 6 guys not named Adams are starters for the Packers or any other team.

I fully understand that you can't fill every position with Veteran players and that doesn't guarantee you squat even if you did (see Blake Martinez and the ILB state of affairs). What you can do though is not over rely and depend on too many of your starters having to improve during the course of a season, especially those that are unproven UDFA's or late round picks. If you don't see that was the case at WR, I can't explain it any other way. We saw that for years with TT at a multitude of positions (TE, RB, CB, ILB) and we all spent lots of ink in here talking and complaining about it.
I could be wrong... but I didn’t think he was referring to the receivers when he claimed that Gute brought in 6 starters to the team. I assumed it was something like Z. Smith, Preston Smith, Amos, Savage, Elgton Jenkins, Turner. (and that’s ignoring Gary).

Last edited:

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My prediction is that he will have a nice 3rd preseason game, like 5 catches for 75 yards. People will fawn over him wondering if the Packers will be able to carry 8 or 9 WRs because they have at least 10 guys at the WR position and absolutely none of them will make it through the waiver wire because everyone else in the league covets the Packer's guys. Cut down day comes, he is released, everyone panics, he clears waivers and is on the practice squad because every team has their own Reggie Begelton. At some point in 2020, the Saints pick him up and he sits on the bench until week 3 of the 2021 season where he has 3 catches for 20 yards, including a last second TD from Taysom Hill against the 49ers and everyone on social media loses their crap with 'OMG, THAT COULD HAVE BEEN US!!!'

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My prediction is that he will have a nice 3rd preseason game, like 5 catches for 75 yards. People will fawn over him wondering if the Packers will be able to carry 8 or 9 WRs because they have at least 10 guys at the WR position and absolutely none of them will make it through the waiver wire because everyone else in the league covets the Packer's guys. Cut down day comes, he is released, everyone panics, he clears waivers and is on the practice squad because every team has their own Reggie Begelton. At some point in 2020, the Saints pick him up and he sits on the bench until week 3 of the 2021 season where he has 3 catches for 20 yards, including a last second TD from Taysom Hill against the 49ers and everyone on social media loses their crap with 'OMG, THAT COULD HAVE BEEN US!!!'

Deserved a rating of 2 laughs :roflmao: :roflmao:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No joke while this is opposite of my thoughts I truly think it would be hilarious and fun should this play out exactly and the epic "told you so post" which would occur.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No joke while this is opposite of my thoughts I truly think it would be hilarious and fun should this play out exactly and the epic "told you so post" which would occur.

I would love it, Begelton ending up being a solid WR. I think the poster was kind of mocking all of us (me included) that get overly excited about a player in preseason and they turn out to be just a fart in the wind.

My last one was 6' 6" WR Michael Clark....oh man he WAS good!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, if it plays out exactly the way I described I'm going to start writing all my Packer posts as quatrains because that would be some serious Nostradamus level prediction on my part... :)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone knew what the WR situation was going into the year. was talked about forever. Was not a surprise at all to me they didn't invest in offensive playmakers with a new headcoach that didn't really know his team or what he had to run an offense with.

6 bonafide starters in 1 offseason and still you expect more. That is an excellent offseason by any measure for a GM in one season. So a WR didn't step up. It happens.
The purse only holds so much. Gluten took a chance that one or two of the WRs not named Adams would step up, especially MVS and Allison. It was worth the risk as they had little capital left to work with, but this upcoming year, I think he’s gonna have to invest in a veteran WR. Drafting a WR is fine, but they take at least a year to adapt. Adams took two.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The purse only holds so much. Gluten took a chance that one or two of the WRs not named Adams would step up, especially MVS and Allison. It was worth the risk as they had little capital left to work with, but this upcoming year, I think he’s gonna have to invest in a veteran WR. Drafting a WR is fine, but they take at least a year to adapt. Adams took two.

Tell that to ODB, AJ Brown, McLaurin, DJ Metcalf... etc. The old addage was that it typically takes three years for a WR to show their stuff, now not so much. Rookie WR's with significant pedigree can contribute year one.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tell that to ODB, AJ Brown, McLaurin, DJ Metcalf... etc. The old addage was that it typically takes three years for a WR to show their stuff, now not so much. Rookie WR's with significant pedigree can contribute year one.

And for every example like this there are at minimum a handful the other way. Every year is easy to be critical of in hindsight. I don't think ANYONE expected our WR corps to struggle to find a groove in the fashion they did. MVS and Gmo both showed incredible promise, others were growing and we didn't have the capital left. Not too mention according to Gute we drafted the best two players on our boards in the first...neither are bad players, but I'm sure even they would have ran things differently had they had a crystal ball for the future.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think ANYONE expected our WR corps to struggle to find a groove in the fashion they did.

*raises his hand* Not to toot my pessimistic preseason feelings, but I pretty much b*tched before, during and after the season about the WR group we had. I wish I had been wrong, but I wasn't, the Packers were expecting way too much out of players that either came into this league as virtual long shots or really hadn't shown much at all going into the season. I think you can get away with that with a few positions, but for whatever reasons, it just hasn't worked well for the Packers over the years.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
*raises his hand* Not to toot my pessimistic preseason feelings, but I pretty much b*tched before, during and after the season about the WR group we had. I wish I had been wrong, but I wasn't, the Packers were expecting way too much out of players that either came into this league as virtual long shots or really hadn't shown much at all going into the season. I think you can get away with that with a few positions, but for whatever reasons, it just hasn't worked well for the Packers over the years.

To be fair I didn't expect them to move mountains or that we had a surefire #2...I however did not see them struggling as much as they did. Kudos to you for perhaps seeing it a little clearer.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points. And DK Metcalf was taken, I think, late in the 2nd round by the Seahawks. McLaurin, again working from memory, was even later.

So yeah it can happen. And with the depth at WR this year, maybe it works for the Packers at #30 (or later). What we know for sure is they have to add a legitimate #2 behind Adams. Breshad Perriman was mentioned in an article today as a FA candidate at WR. Nothing wrong with a double dip at that position.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has a really great story but he doesn't "jump out" at you athletically

I guess he may be our number 2 next year?

Members online

Latest posts