RB Christine Michael has re-signed with the Packers

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I look forward to Michael getting cut before the regular season starts.

D

Deleted member 6794

I actually agree with you Wimm. I just don't like that he does not seem able to teach run blocking.

The Packers put way more emphasis on having an excellent pass protection unit though. While I wouldn't mind the offensive line improving blocking for the run I'm fine with them being average in that area.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look forward to Michael getting cut before the regular season starts.

I honestly am near 90% sure he is on roster come season. Only way he isn't is if we draft 2 solid rookies or sign yet another FA rb.

Reaction score
I hope they don't just keep bringing this guy around because he is fast and has energy. I like the balloon analogy, pretty perfect. Personally I think although not as fast he makes up for it in vision and decision making I feel like Crockett could be the third guy this year. I would like to see a drafted RB understanding TT won't pick one in the first most likely. hopefully someone falls... then you have Monty to share time/ with that rookie and then you had Crockett or Michael. I'd take Crockett if healthy. Still energized and showed a little promise. At least he wouldn't turn back trying to hit a homerun and lose 6 yards. I'm ok with it if it lines up with Cap Wimm says close to minimum and fills a camp body. if he beats Crockett out he does but he would have to change decision making.

D

Deleted member 6794

Personally I think although not as fast he makes up for it in vision and decision making I feel like Crockett could be the third guy this year. if he beats Crockett out he does but he would have to change decision making.

The Packers didn't offer Crockett an exclusive rights free agent deal this offseason making him currently a free agent.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good athlete, lousy running back.

I'm am far from an expert on RB's or anything for that matter. :) But he wasn't added until Nov. 16th. He didn't have a lot of time to catch up.

Not saying he's great or anything. Just sayin.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm am far from an expert on RB's or anything for that matter. :) But he wasn't added until Nov. 16th. He didn't have a lot of time to catch up.

Not saying he's great or anything. Just sayin.

Michael has had troubles with several teams grasping their playbook since entering the league. It seems he's incapable of learning a pro offense.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He didn't fumble in the NFCCG at Atlanta though. It was Ripkowski putting the ball on the ground.
RIght on both counts! I told you my memory was faulty. Thanks.

Michael has had troubles with several teams grasping their playbook since entering the league. It seems he's incapable of learning a pro offense.
Maybe he never expected to stay long enough to bother to learn it. Until Ted comes along and says he likes the size of his price tag. :)
He is fast when he gets in the open though.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's VERY fast, and there were times in Seattle where he looked VERY good. Keep in mind there were a plethora of plays where our OL couldn't block for anyone. AR was second on the team in rushing (about 100 shy from Monty). So the keys are run blocking better and then the rest is up to Michael. I think it's honestly because of Michael and Montgomery that TT either doesn't draft a RB or waits til Day 3 for one. Which he would be somewhat justified in doing, look what we did without one this year. And Monty should definitely get more than 400 yds rushing in a full season.

Reaction score
Ok, so he's no ace and there's word there's a learning curve I'll give you that. The fact remains he has a career 4.3 yard average. He's rushed 254 times for 1,030 yards and 7 TDs. That's very arguably equivalent to a season of snaps for many average #1 RBs across the league and puts him smack dab in the middle of the Pack.
This is an intelligent signing because it's virtually a non or minimum risk maneuver. I do believe IF he makes the roster he will carry for 4+ a carry (assuming he has 50+ carries) so he's a value pick.
Flip side, my feelings won't be hurt if we grab a true halfback workhorse towards the top of the draft, but this signing also gives us a contingency plan if a superior DT, LB or CB are there at our pick and they are glowing hot.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's VERY fast, and there were times in Seattle where he looked VERY good. Keep in mind there were a plethora of plays where our OL couldn't block for anyone. AR was second on the team in rushing (about 100 shy from Monty). So the keys are run blocking better and then the rest is up to Michael. I think it's honestly because of Michael and Montgomery that TT either doesn't draft a RB or waits til Day 3 for one. Which he would be somewhat justified in doing, look what we did without one this year. And Monty should definitely get more than 400 yds rushing in a full season.

He was drafted in the second round and has been in the league for 4 years. I would hope he has looked VERY good at times. Eddie Lacy looked VERY good at times as well and not many people seem too upset he is gone.

Usually I like to be optimistic about players the Packers sign but I just can't get excited about Michael. If he is the 3rd RB on the depth chart I will be fine with it but I would have rather let him go and have signed Rex Burkhead.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe he never expected to stay long enough to bother to learn it. Until Ted comes along and says he likes the size of his price tag. :) .

If Michael really didn't bother to learn the playbook I don't want him on the team at all. There's no reason to sign players not being motivated.

There's no way the Packers should enter next season with only two running backs on the roster in Montgomery and Michael once again. I highly doubt Michael would excel on a consistent basis even with a better run blocking offensive line as he has troubles finding holes.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's had some success, just doesn't excite me. He's exciting to watch I guess in that his -2 yard runs look like 7 yard runs :) I'm ok him earning the 3rd spot or spot carries. I'd still like another person to pair with Monty.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is my main concern with the Pack re-signing him. But usually Mike McCarthy has judged pretty well whether or not a player can become useful in an offense (ala Vince Young and a few others), so it'll be interesting to see where this goes. Little disappointed we couldn't come to terms with Lacy though.

D

Deleted member 6794

But usually Mike McCarthy has judged pretty well whether or not a player can become useful in an offense (ala Vince Young and a few others), so it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

It seems Jeff Janis still hasn't grasped the Packers playbook after three years with the team. Some players just aren't capable of getting it.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but a lot of fans were advocating for using him on offense more often. That doesn't happen in Green Bay without full knowledge of the playbook.

This I think was because he showed some flashes in 2015, we didn't know how Jordy would look coming back off his ACL injury, Adams was coming out of a sophomore slump, we weren't sure if Cobb had slowed down and there were just a lot of unknowns at WR in general. Turns out it wasn't necessary this last year thankfully, plus add Cook into that mix and competition gets even stiffer for a guy like Janis.

But, better get back to the topic of Michael before the mods start locking this.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's had some success, just doesn't excite me. He's exciting to watch I guess in that his -2 yard runs look like 7 yard runs :) I'm ok him earning the 3rd spot or spot carries. I'd still like another person to pair with Monty.

His -2 yard runs look like 7 yards runs so pairing him with Laravee's play by play at least we get to think every run he has is a 50 yarder.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Michael really didn't bother to learn the playbook I don't want him on the team at all. There's no reason to sign players not being motivated.
Maybe he's motivated, maybe he's just not that bright :)
Maybe Lambeau should hold up signs that say "Run, Michael" and "Stop, Michael".

Members online

Latest posts