Quick look back at our losses

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know exactly what he played. Are you claiming 6 of 9 for 66 yards and 1TD vs SF in 1 drive vs the second worst team in the league is proving you are ready?

No, but as was mentioned earlier, the Pack had played six real games before the losing streak and were 4-2 in them, so after six weeks of actual play, you can still point to the lack of preseason action as a problem?

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers and his receivers still have to work on timing in a game atmosphere though. There´s no way to practice it against a scout team defense.

Im of the mindset that this team is a playoff team, week 1. Injuries being the only thing that can take us out in the regular season..... From that perspective, the main goal is to get to the post season as healthy as possible......If the GB brass thinks the same, then they played things right...

I think Rodgers lull had as much to do with young inconsistant WRs and TEs, as anything else. The defense losing the CBs and the ILBs all going down, IMO, is the reason for the losing streak... All in all, it was a hard road, but I like the position we are in right now. Martinez coming back will make a huge difference. He is just more physical, and thats what we are lacking right now. Perry goes out, and the defense is lacking again. Hope he is back for the playoffs.

D

Deleted member 6794

Im of the mindset that this team is a playoff team, week 1. Injuries being the only thing that can take us out in the regular season..... From that perspective, the main goal is to get to the post season as healthy as possible......If the GB brass thinks the same, then they played things right...

Martinez coming back will make a huge difference. He is just more physical, and thats what we are lacking right now.

I don´t demand the starters to play most of the preseason games but the Packers should get them more snaps in the future. Martinez already played 14 snaps vs. the Bears.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martinez is back hey? Good. Hope he works his way back to where he was when he went down... For a minute there the two young ILBs were impressing me.

Word on Perry?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

People say all sorts of stupid crap with no backing. Its just that normal people who have enjoyed the luxury of winning for a decade straight, TYPICALLY do not blame the only proven piece to the whole puzzle. The HOF QB that has carried us... Just shows a general unhappiness with life, and a horribly negative attitude...

No Eli, it means a person doesn`t walk around wearing rose tinted glasses. I was actually joking with him, but a person can say anything they want to, it`s called an opinion and that`s why it`s called a forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am just shocked at the disrespect for Rodgers. Its ridiculous..... The guy is borderline MVP candidate, and on a full blown tear with a bum leg. And still people are criticizing him..... That stuff is crazy.

The day will come when we dont have him here, and then we will have something to complain about.

All in my opinion. :).

Last edited:

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am just shocked at the disrespect for Rodgers. Its ridiculous..... The guy is borderline MVP candidate, and on a full blown tear with a bum leg. And still people are criticizing him..... That stuff is crazy.

The day will come when we dont have him here, and then we will have something to whine about.

All in my opinion. :).
But he doesn't talk to his family!

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, but as was mentioned earlier, the Pack had played six real games before the losing streak and were 4-2 in them, so after six weeks of actual play, you can still point to the lack of preseason action as a problem?

As I said, I am going from the eye test. Not win/loss. The Packers barely beat one of the most dysfunctional team in the NFL week 1 who BTW already fired their coach.The Packers actually got out gained in that game by Bortles, then followed that up with an embarrassing loss week 2. They looked horrible both those weeks by the eye test.

Every team goes through sloppy play to started the season, I just feel if the Packers play some more snaps in the pre-season (especially with your #1 receiver having a limited camp) maybe they hit their stride a little earlier in the season. Maybe they don't beat themselves with mistakes to the Vikings. (Three fumbles by Rodgers, and a pick... And a fumble by DA)

The starters don't have to play every snap of the pre-season, but they do have to play enough that a back shoulder fade to Nelson ends up within 10 yards of him.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
As I said, I am going from the eye test. Not win/loss. The Packers barely beat one of the most dysfunctional team in the NFL week 1 who BTW already fired their coach.The Packers actually got out gained in that game by Bortles, then followed that up with an embarrassing loss week 2. They looked horrible both those weeks by the eye test.

Every team goes through sloppy play to started the season, I just feel if the Packers play some more snaps in the pre-season (especially with your #1 receiver having a limited camp) maybe they hit their stride a little earlier in the season. Maybe they don't beat themselves with mistakes to the Vikings. (Three fumbles by Rodgers, and a pick... And a fumble by DA)

The starters don't have to play every snap of the pre-season, but they do have to play enough that a back shoulder fade to Nelson ends up within 10 yards of him.
I agree with most of this. More snaps in the preseason would certainly be beneficial moving forward.

The offense was a hot mess in those first two weeks, made small improvements in the weeks after that, and really started to take off the past few weeks.

Just because we won those games doesn't mean that there weren't big issues offensively. Ironically, we were held above water by a defense that fell apart during the 4 game losing streak. Held strong against Jacksonville in the hot conditions, did the best they could against Minnesota in a perfect conditions, shut down the Lions in the 1st half before we went to prevent, and held Eli in check before the wheels started to fall off a bit, although there's no shame in the Dallas game against a sound offensive team.

If the Packers offense was the Packers offense we have come to know it to be in the first few weeks, I don't think we lose to Minny and I think that the Dallas game would have been more competitive. We had to resort to the short passing game in the 2nd half to make it even half way interesting.

What's frustrating about this season is that the defense played well in the first few weeks, and then when they started to struggle, the offense started clicking. It wasn't until the Philly game in Week 11 that we started to get solid performances in all three phases, and our record reflects that.

Everyone kept saying what's wrong with Rodgers. Nine pass attempts in the preseason and a laughably predictable offensive game plan was what was wrong with Rodgers. So next offseason, I would certainly like to see more reps for 1st team offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with most of this. More snaps in the preseason would certainly be beneficial moving forward.

The offense was a hot mess in those first two weeks, made small improvements in the weeks after that, and really started to take off the past few weeks.

As I´ve mentioned earlier I agree the starters should play more snaps during the preseason but I believe McCarthy adapting the scheme to predominantly use a ball control, short passing game is the major reason the offense significantly improved over early in the season.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
As I´ve mentioned earlier I agree the starters should play more snaps during the preseason but I believe McCarthy adapting the scheme to predominantly use a ball control, short passing game is the major reason the offense significantly improved over early in the season.
Agree, but it also helped that the timing improved as well, even if there weren't as many down the field throws.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm on the fence with the whole preseason reps thing. It's a Catch 22 in my mind.

While I am on board with the notion that the starters need more reps in a "real game situation" to get their timing down, you always run the risk of injuries by doing that. I don't know Rodgers snap count during the 2015 preseason, not a lot, but more than he got in 2016. The Packers were also able to start that season 6-0. However, Jordy got hurt that pre-season and you have to wonder if that wasn't going through MM's head this past preseason. Imagine fans reaction if Rodgers is playing into the second quarter of a meaningless preseason game, gets blindsided and is done for the year.

I have read a few comments about people saying Rodgers and other vets aren't putting in the work during the preseason and I disagree with that. They are at practices, working out, doing film study, etc. they just aren't out on the field as much during preseason games.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I have read a few comments about people saying Rodgers and other vets aren't putting in the work during the preseason and I disagree with that. They are at practices, working out, doing film study, etc. they just aren't out on the field as much during preseason games.
Perfectly fine with veterans being treated that way, they have earned it.

But I think there has to be some type of balancing act between playing it safe, and making sure that they have had at least a reasonable amount of reps to keep from sputtering out of the gate.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I am on board with the notion that the starters need more reps in a "real game situation" to get their timing down, you always run the risk of injuries by doing that. I don't know Rodgers snap count during the 2015 preseason, not a lot, but more than he got in 2016. The Packers were also able to start that season 6-0. However, Jordy got hurt that pre-season and you have to wonder if that wasn't going through MM's head this past preseason. Imagine fans reaction if Rodgers is playing into the second quarter of a meaningless preseason game, gets blindsided and is done for the year.

There´s a way to protect Rodgers from getting injured during the preseason mostly relying on extremely quick passes as well as have him throw the ball away before being touched.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no comparison between practices/scrimmages and games. You don't play at the same speed, the competition isn't as hungry to take your head off, and you are playing against teammates (familiar foes). The brain needs the game stimulation as much as the body.

I would be saddened if Rodgers got hurt in the preseason, just like I was with Nelson's injury. However, it is a part of the game. I don't question whether these guys should be involved in training camp just because someone tears an ACL there. Mini-camp, training camp, preseason games, the regular season, and the post-season are all integral parts of professional football. If you're taking your foot off the gas in any of those phases, you are jeopardizing your opportunities in the next.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There´s a way to protect Rodgers from getting injured during the preseason mostly relying on extremely quick passes as well as have him throw the ball away before being touched.
Most definitely, but....is that the way he plays in the regular season? I say that a bit tongue in cheek, but are you getting him out there just to work on quick timing routes and still willing to take a chance on his competitive juices getting the better part of him and hanging on long enough to get hurt and injured. It's a delicate balancing act for sure and as Rodgers gets older, I am sure one we will continue to see.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
There is not a team in the NFL that could have sustained that many injuries to multiple positions and walked away on top. Time to look into new medical and training staff in Green Bay. These muscle strains are from a lack of proper strength/conditioning and stretching. Unacceptable.

D

Deleted member 6794

Most definitely, but....is that the way he plays in the regular season? I say that a bit tongue in cheek, but are you getting him out there just to work on quick timing routes and still willing to take a chance on his competitive juices getting the better part of him and hanging on long enough to get hurt and injured. It's a delicate balancing act for sure and as Rodgers gets older, I am sure one we will continue to see.

There´s always a risk for Rodgers to get injured. That´s true for practice as well though and nobody is suggesting to hold him out of it. I believe that even by running a reduced playbook only during the preseason #12 and the receivers could improve their timing entering the regular season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There´s always a risk for Rodgers to get injured. That´s true for practice as well though and nobody is suggesting to hold him out of it. I believe that even by running a reduced playbook only during the preseason #12 and the receivers could improve their timing entering the regular season.

Agreed. As I said, it's a bit of a Catch 22 and will continue to be so for the rest of AR's career.