Question about Favre's roster bonus.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know he had pushed the bonus back one week, but if we know when the bonus is due we could probably expect an announcement before that time if he is going to make an announcement this week. What day is he due for that bonus this week?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good question, I have no answer for you. Ill try and look it up now.

edit
nothing gave a date (jsonline, SI) ..just said pushed back.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
smlutz said:
I know he had pushed the bonus back one week, but if we know when the bonus is due we could probably expect an announcement before that time if he is going to make an announcement this week. What day is he due for that bonus this week?

The bonus doesn't actually get paid until regular season starts, so in essance he has until then to make up his mind. I recall reading that Brett wanted to see what kind of moves TT is going to make in both the FA and the draft before making up his mind. I personally am not going to expect a decision until after the latter.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

OP
OP
S

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
smlutz said:

The bonus doesn't actually get paid until regular season starts, so in essance he has until then to make up his mind. I recall reading that Brett wanted to see what kind of moves TT is going to make in both the FA and the draft before making up his mind. I personally am not going to expect a decision until after the latter.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

Don't you kind of think that would be sticking it to the Packers just a little bit. Like I recall Trom saying a few days ago, Favre retires, who are the Packers going to have as their QB?

I'm not saying Rodgers isn't good or has the potential to be good, but I surely don't think its the right time for him to step under center for an entire season.

I guess I could think of the Favre situation like a true/false question on a test, always remember the "yeah, but..." rule.

"I want to play football, yeah but..."

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
smlutz said:
Don't you kind of think that would be sticking it to the Packers just a little bit. Like I recall Trom saying a few days ago, Favre retires, who are the Packers going to have as their QB?

I never said it wouldn't be sticking it to the Pack, I was merely commenting on the fact he does not have to give his decision by the roster bonus date, as the money is not payable until the start of regular season. Favre has stated he was going to wait to see how GB does in both the FA and the draft before making his decision, which makes me feel he wants to return, but is putting the pressure on TT to make the team more competitive as to avoid the mess he had to work with in 2005 (not that the injuries were avoidable by any means).

If Favre does decide to hang it up, GB is going to have to get A-Rod experience one way or another. If that means sitting through a few losing seasons while he learns the ropes, so be it.... It is going to have to happen sometime. However, if TT continues to shore up the defense, we may have a situation in some ways similar to Chicago with Orton. He got valuable playing experience this year, and Chicago finished with an enviable record and an NFC North title.

Regardless of who may or may not replace Favre, you can expect a poor showing on offense during this process. QBs take 2 to 3 seasons to develop on average in the NFL. If you are expecting Favre's replacement (be it Rodgers or whomever) to walk in and be the next Ben Roethlisberger, you are doing nothing more than inviting disappointment. This is something I have seen since the 2005 preseason: people crying for the Pack to dump A-Rod before he had taken his first snap in a regular season NFL game. It made me wonder what exactly they were expecting... A newly drafted NCAA QB who would sweep the league and lead the Pack to a 16 and 0 season? Not bloody likely.

All things considered, if I were a betting man, my money would be on Favre suiting up for the 2006 season... but again that is just one man's opinion.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
smlutz said:

Aaron Rodgers.

OP
OP
S

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
smlutz said:

Aaron Rodgers.

Obviously Z2C, however, usually with a young QB you try to bring in a veteran to kind of help train him. I was expecting Favres decision by now, oh well.

Maybe Griese.

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
smlutz said:
Zero2Cool said:
smlutz said:

Aaron Rodgers.

Obviously Z2C, however, usually with a young QB you try to bring in a veteran to kind of help train him. I was expecting Favres decision by now, oh well.

Maybe Griese.

:oops: :wall: :puke: I can't even believe I am thinking this but...

we could always sign Harrington to guide AR into the future>>>

OP
OP
S

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whats wrong with Griese? He is no Brett Favre but were looking for a #2 man here.

Of course considering Fave retires.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
smlutz said:
Zero2Cool said:
smlutz said:

Aaron Rodgers.

Maybe Griese.

You want a vet? Roger Clemens.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts