QB's in this draft and in free agency.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow..the NFL hype machine is having a HARD time
getting people to believe that any of the QB's in this year's
draft are worth anything.

Let's see Matt Ryan...a young Drew Bledsoe(actually as immobile and not as accurate..scarey combo). He is gonna have some problems w/the speed of the NFL>

Joe Flacco? Are you guys serious? Flacco? Firstly, I can't ever see that name on the back of a packer's jersey..especially for 1st round money.
Secondly..I got two words for you. JIM DRUCKENMILLER. Big, dumb, and can throw in one direction.

Chad Henne. Weak arm, weak big game performances. Still don't like him after he stole that Michigan job from Matt Guiterrez (another Bay Area product who competed w/Rodgers in high school and went undefeated in HS on the legendary DeLaSalle team that hadn't lost in 11 years...who's now 3rd string on the Patriots)..and has character issues.

Colt Brennan. OKay arm, his throws flutter in wind(not good at Lambeau)..but is a gunslinger. Not much of a game managing style in his game.

Craig Nall is a perfect backup to Aaron. They've known each other over the years and would work well. I dunno if drafting any of the 4 guys up here would be a help at all. Seriously.

Aaron Brooks drove McCarthy out of New Orleans. They won in SPITE of Brooks, not because of him. McCarthy had to be given credit for getting the most out of Brooks. Brooks is out of the league for a reason.
McCarthy could get NOTHING out of Alex Smith. That also speaks volumnes.

And other NFL free agent QBs.

Culpepper? Lost all footspeed and is not a cerebral QB. Exposed in Oakland for being one dimensional.
Leftwitch? Slowest releast in the NFL. Telegrapher
Harrington? Primadonna.
Carr? Are David Carr and Kevin Federline the same person? =)
Dilfer? HAHAHAHA.

I'm very happy with Aaron as the QB of the packers.

I'd happily have him over Smith(huge bust), J.Campbell(mediocre), Jay Cutler(inefficient..not progressing), JP Losman(big bust), Vince Young (drove Norm Chow out cuz Young was so dumb to work with),
Brady Quinn (overrated cuz of Charlie Weiss), Matt Leinart (benched for Warner..says volumnes).

The only other QB, I'd like on the packers was Derek Anderson and he's locked up already.

The packers are in great shape.

Aaron will start, Nall backs up, and they draft a project. Maybe Brennan.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Your missing a sleeper of a whopper proportions in there.. Josh Johnson.. remember the name... he might be the best QB to emerge from this class, IMO.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chad Henne doesn't have a weak arm. In fact, it's probably even above average by NFL standard. I can't argue the weak performances in big-time games though.

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chad Henne doesn't have a weak arm. In fact, it's probably even above average by NFL standard. I can't argue the weak performances in big-time games though.

Part of why he performed badly in those games is his inability to make the across the field throws. Albeit, Henne's receivers didn't help him out at all but the QB still has to put it in the right place. He's a strong straight ahead thrower (ala Eli Manning....well i guess that's all it takes after Elie goes to the SB).

I saw a lot of his throws being underthrown.

He had a strong throwing performance at the combine in a dome, but in Lambeau's gusts..I'm not sure.

I'm still mad that Henne stole the job from Matt Guiterrez..forgive my bias..hehe

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do like Nall, and think he is OK as a backup. I think he might stay here now that.........excuse me for a second, it's STILL hard to say it.......Favre is retired.

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no culppeper

QFT. I cant stand culpepper. I would prefer we pick up someone like David Carr as a backup. I am very interested in seeing the Packers spend that 6 million.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any QBs from Southern Miss in the draft this year? Or maybe Alabama? We've had luck with them before. Haha!

largetree

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a sleeper in this year's draft is Alex Brink out of Washington State. Has good size, decent arm and makes good decisions. Could get him in the 3rd to 4th round area and then develop behind ARod.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If Ted and Mike can't lure Brett back, watch em go knock on Jake Plummers door..

Hey!!

What about Donovan Mcnab.....

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brennan is a system QB who will fail in the NFL...see Timmy Chang.

Aaron Rodgers is supposed to be a system QB from Jeff Tedford as well.
See Dilfer, Carr, Harrington, Akili Smith, Billy Volek.

To resolve the system QB issues...

Know that..

Brennan is NOT Timmy Chang

And Aaron Rodgers is NOTHING like Car, Harrington and the lot.

Some players trascent the system.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mkapp said:

Know that..

The slight on Tedford QB's is not the system they played in, its their mechanics.

zoogies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The draft class is certainly weak this year. I really doubt the Packers will go for a QB in the first day at least.

Nall as a no.2 though? I'm not sure - I admit I know little about him. But Rodgers time is now, though I suppose it could have waited another year...

Don't mean to prop up my own players (Husker homer here), but have you guys checked out Sam Keller? He's struggled a lot, but his attitude reminds me a lot of Favre. He has a lot of intensity, fire, and he's just *so* poised with the media, it's hard to believe any college athlete can be that calm and collected.

I think he's got a shot to surprise.

zoogies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To add, here's my own crystal ball version of the future. It's not based on much actual knowledge, so take it for what it's worth:

- You don't know the next great GB quarterback yet. I see Rodgers getting his shot but not making it after a few up-and-down, but never stellar years.
- I know you guys are high on Rodgers, and I'm pretty optimistic too. But this shadow is too big. I think time is needed. I hope Rodgers proves me wrong, but I can't imagine him becoming the franchise QB you are looking for. He'll hold the fort solidly, I'm sure, but probably not more.
- How long the drought will be, I don't know. Hard to say.

Hope Rodgers proves me wrong and there is no drought....

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the thing is though, if Rodgers cant make it, after learning the system for a few years and being mentored by MM and Favre..then wwhat young QB really can?

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:
mkapp said:

Know that..

The slight on Tedford QB's is not the system they played in, its their mechanics.

The slight on Jeff Tedford was not the mechanics of the QBs. The slight on Tedford was the ability of his quarterbacks to play the position has a whole because of how Tedford broke down the field for his QBs. His system is accused of simplifying reads and putting less processing for the QBs and more on Tedford himself.

The slight on Aaron Rodgers was his "on the shelf" ball carry.

Aaron was the most picture perfect example of Tedford's philosophy.
Put the ball at the top of the motion so you eliminate the windup
and get the ball out quickly.

It really is an effective motion. And Aaron has such a good arm, it didn't hinder his 50plus yard throws.

Those were the actual concerns.

Basically Aaron's dispelled all of that in his 3 years in Green Bay.
He has plenty of zip on his throws and has good zip on his deep balls too.

You guys have seen his arm, accuracy, and also his footwork and escapability.

Let's just be clear on those points.

OP
OP
C

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you're off on almost all of them
you should do more research before you post

I think you should really evaluate players better to comment
on my posting. I have more background on many QBs..especially Rodgers than anyone in this forum. I've done my due diligence. Let's see if you did yours.

Go ahead and write WHY these evaluations are off...
This will be interesting.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reality is no matter WHO we have as a starter its going to be different. No QB can ever replace Favre, and the way the league has been the last two years, you have to have a backup maybe two of them just in case.

Staff online

Latest posts