Preseason #3 - Packers vs Raiders

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm not expecting a miracle where BG goes out and gets some stud at OL and ILB. I am expecting him to exhaust every possible avenue in bringing in guys that will perform better than what we've been seeing thus far. Watching Murph last night was honestly difficult and I can only imagine what the 22Film is going to show when they break tape with the coaches. Maybe I'm getting old and soft but my heart hurts for him because it's going to be all kinds of ugly.

I don't want to lose sight of some positives from last night like the young corners. I never saw the replay of the Herb Waters penalty that 86'd the Pick 6 of JJ37 but the replay I did an showed great coverage/ball skills by the young Hawkeye. This kid is going to be a player! Jaire made a heckuva play on that INT and flashed his ball skills while adjusting to the throw and tipping the oskie to himself. Those plays were either long completions or simple passes defended in the past few years and it looks now like we've got some guys that can make the splash plays when the opportunity presents itself. If KK can stay on the field I'm feeling really good about him, TWill, JA and JJ moving forward.

We have a limited number of runs left with what I believe to be the most gifted QB in league history. Use every available resource (1st Rd picks included!) to go out and shore up and obvious areas of roster weakness and let's get after it! The NFC is going to be a fist fight this year and we have a great shot at being the last Man standing so long as we don't let one OL/ILB injury derail the whole enchilada.

G P G!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Late night for me, so didn't get to watch much more than the 1st quarter, but sounds like from all the comments, the OL backups are once again looking pretty shoddy. I know a team can't have quality starters for depth, but WOW some of these guys appear they aren't even ready to play in the NFL. This has to be one of the biggest concerns for the Packers right now. I know there is a lot of talk about trading for Mack, but if Bulaga or Bahk go down, which seems to be likely every season, I would rather see efforts at securing 1-2 guys that can play on the OL with some regularity without being a major liability.

The other position of concern to me is ILB. Not sure if anyone noticed Martinez grab his knee early in the first quarter, but that made my heart stop. If he goes down, what then? Just not excited about starting a rookie, that is if Burks can go. After that, we are down to 2 UDFA's that are as green as green. Go sign Bowman, now!

You worry too much about injuries Poker:) I know they are serious issues with some of our depth and all but I mean you personally worry too much about them. I'm afraid they may hamper your ability to fully enjoy a game. If you are thinking "Great play by Martinez but what if he gets hurt?" can you really enjoy the great play? I don't disagree with any of your comments regarding our backups and how injuries could be a major factor this season but you seem to be dwelling on them. Maybe its a case of hope for the best prepare for the worst but try to enjoy the moment and let what comes next come. Especially if there is nothing you can do about it.

Just thinking about your well being brother :tup:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i wanted to see the penalty, but whatever it was, it had zero bearing on that Jackson INT. They never even looked to that side of the field and Jackson made a superb play on that ball. Penalty or not, it was a great play.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i wanted to see the penalty, but whatever it was, it had zero bearing on that Jackson INT. They never even looked to that side of the field and Jackson made a superb play on that ball. Penalty or not, it was a great play.
That's my exact sentiment. Cook didn't even glance to the other side of the field. Bottom line is 37 made the play that was presented to him and that is all you can ask him to do. Kid just looks and carries himself like he's supposed to be there. Love it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You worry too much about injuries Poker:) I know they are serious issues with some of our depth and all but I mean you personally worry too much about them. I'm afraid they may hamper your ability to fully enjoy a game. If you are thinking "Great play by Martinez but what if he gets hurt?" can you really enjoy the great play? I don't disagree with any of your comments regarding our backups and how injuries could be a major factor this season but you seem to be dwelling on them. Maybe its a case of hope for the best prepare for the worst but try to enjoy the moment and let what comes next come. Especially if there is nothing you can do about it.

Just thinking about your well being brother :tup:

LOL....thanks for the concern brother! :)

I call my "worry about injuries" more about advanced damage control. I can't and don't really worry about individual players getting hurt, since that is inevitable. However, what I do think about, is what happens when a starter goes down to that particular position. Who do we have to back them up? Watching Martinez grab his knee last night, sad to say I wasn't saying "oh gosh, I hope Blake is ok, my thoughts went to "Oh hell, Burks is already down, now what?"

Too many years of watching certain positions suffer an injury that all of a sudden exposes the Packers to playing guys who aren't ready for Prime Time. Can you have 53 guys that are all ready for Prime Time? No, but if you look at our OL and our ILB's I would say its a classic case of being paper thin in talent and the season hasn't even begun. On the other hand, CB, OLB and the DL can absorb a blow or 2 and probably be fine.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

The guy looks like he's made of granite but it appears paper-mache is his actual composition. Every time he's out there I am expecting an injury. Some guys are more injury prone than others and unfortunately our guy 88 is one of those guys. Frustrating.
He runs high and gets dinged, just like Starks.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I’m happy for Moore that he had a much better showing and finished some plays. He needed that. Now he just needs to build on it.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We mine as well call up Eddie lacy we need rbs lol we need to get Mack if we move clay back to middle

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This was a bad time to have both potential back-up QB's lay collective eggs. The Raiders may find themselves in need of a backup from what I have read about their feelings on Cook. If there is any truth to the rumor of the Packers going after Mack, Hundley might have added a bit of sweetness to such a deal. Had he looked great last night, the Raiders might have been on the phone first thing this morning talking Mack trade and including Hundely in the deal. Now they obviously look past just what he did or didn't do last night, but the impact it could of had, of him lightening up their defense last night, probably would have carried more weight.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs
Josh Jackson - we may be experiencing the start of something special.

Defense. I didnt think they looked impressive, but they did hold a good offense to only 10 pts.

Duds
Campen: I have criticized him for years, but thought he turned the coaching corner and did really well the last 2 seasons. Maybe that was premature. The OLine has looked really bad the first 3 weeks. Missed blocks, bad movement, ughhh.

Special teams. I agree that the special teams are cycling different players for evaluation purposes, but so was Oakland. And we looked bad in comparison.

NFLN - After Raiders scored TD came back from commercial and Pack had the ball at Raider 30ish and it was 3rd and 10. Didnt see the kickoff or what led up to 3rd and 10. Worst coverage ever. Dont mind a female announcer, not being sexist, but she needs to ease up. Speak softer and act like you are enjoying the game too.

H

HardRightEdge

Pluses:
  • Clark
  • Gilbert
  • Jackson's making a strong case to start.
  • Alexander in coverage. Two rookies in nickel?
  • Ahmad Thomas continues to impress. He got caught flat footed on an early coverage and gave up a chunk of yards. After that, pretty darn good, again. He continues to show he's a keeper and the first ILB off the bench. Here's the Ryan replacement.
  • Biegel's a smart player with a nose for the ball. He made a really smart play off the left edge, ditching the pass rush to pick up the back in coverage on a quick swing. He's just not an edge rusher. Again, his future should be at ILB.
  • Moore: Are we OK now? For those commenting off the box score, be advised he had a step on a deep ball that Hundley put a bit too far outside and out of bounds. Moore had another guy beat on a sideline deep ball and Kizer overthrew him. Note to DeShone: How about putting a little air under that ball for some margin for error? Sheesh.
Minuses:
  • The flag happy officiating crew destroyed any rhythm and flow to this game. Not satisfied with throwing a flag at every whim, several plays had multiple flags. 23 assessed penalties. Throw in the duplicates and the declines and we're probably up to 30 flags. Happy days! On another play, Pankey had a blatent hold in clear view and there was no flag. Good job. Maybe the ref figured it was moot since Pankey gave up the sack before the flag could get out of his pocket. It was kinda late in the game and time to go home perhaps. As for the hit on Moore, whether you want to call that under the "Players in a Defenseless Posture" section of the rules, or the "Use of the Helmet" section, or the "Unnecessary Roughness" section ("ramming" with the helmet), or call nothing at all, one thing is for certain: it is not both "Unnecssary Roughness" and a "Players in a Defenseless Posture" infraction. Those are two different sections of the rules. Pick one, you professionals. Or don't. There was another sketchy helmet rule call early in the game on a sideline tackle on Hendricks. C'mon guys, figure it out.
  • As others have noted, and was abundantly obvious, the backup O-Line was pretty dreadful. Murphy was simply awful. He and Spriggs seem to alternate especially bad games. Oddly, they both do their worst work on the right side which at least reduces the chance of the backup QBs ending up on IR. As Ron Popiel would say, "But wait, there's more!" The interior was less obviously bad, but very bad nonethess giving up a lot of pressure up the middle. Let's see. 37 passes, 5 sacks, and how many holding penalties? And how many 2.5 second clean pockets could these guys manage? I think you could count them on one hand after amputating a couple of fingers. Run blocking? Meh. And as an added bonus, we had one of the camp body guards coming out to the second level to block on a RB screen and just ran into the receiver before he could make the catch.
  • If the only things one could look at were the officiating and the Packers O-line play, this would qualify for the WFGHOF...that's the Worst Football Game Hall of Fame.
  • Other than Moore, the route running from the rookie WRs and Yancey leaves something to be desired. Kumerow's case got stronger in absentia.
  • We're still not seeing anybody step up for the returner positions. So, far I'd give the nod to Rollins among the guys we've seen this preseason. Alexander's performance returning punts was a little strange. He had the block out on the first try for a touchback, and then later had what looked like a fake fair catch and semi-blockout for a touchback. They worked out, but neither of those balls were close enough to the goal line to not warrant a fair catch. He had another he should have fair caught and got balled up. Pretty strange. I'm not sure who could manage kickoffs.
  • Scott seems to have trouble with the sideline kicks. They should just let him boom it down the middle with that 5 second hang time until he figures it out. However, on that subject, despite those high kicks the coverage guys seem to be getting there late. Wassatabot?
  • James Lofton. Of all the gin joints in all the world you'd think they could find somebody better than this in one of them. At least he doesn't non-stop jibber jabber like Collinsworth who either corrects himself or should half the time on replay.

Last edited by a moderator:

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Lofton. Of all the gin joints in all the world you'd think they could find somebody better than this in one of them. At least he doesn't non-stop jibber jabber like Collinsworth who either corrects himself or should half the time on replay.
You should have had to listen to the homer Oakland announcers, like I did.

H

HardRightEdge

You should have had to listen to the homer Oakland announcers, like I did.
I watched the beginning and the last 20 minutes on Game Pass with Lofton, calling the Packers "the Lions" and Kenny Clark "Kenny King", among other nonsense.

I watched the middle on NFL Network with the Oakland guys. I thought the woman doing color commentary was pretty good. Only toward the end did I realize that was no woman. With a voice like that he better be good. He sounded like Dottie Pepper. That's an ex-golfer turned PGA commentator in case anybody was wondering.

H

HardRightEdge

Definitely in the running for the Jayrone Elliot stud of the preseason award.
Gilbert looks better than Elliott ever did. Gilbert holds the edge and makes plays inside in the run game. Better burst too. He blew up a first string OT which indicates something. Gilbert looks like a football player; Elliott never looked like he had more than a clue.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  • Moore: Are we OK now? For those commenting off the box score, be advised he had a step on a deep ball that Hundley put a bit too far outside and out of bounds. Moore had another guy beat on a sideline deep ball and Kizer overthrew him. Note to DeShone: How about putting a little air under that ball for some margin for error? Sheesh
Getting open has not been a problem for Moore. Catching the ball, even if perfectly thrown, has been the problem. I watched Oakland coverage, they talked about the CBs and the coverage and not so much who the receiver was. I see he caught 4. Any drops?

H

HardRightEdge

Getting open has not been a problem for Moore. Catching the ball, even if perfectly thrown, has been the problem. I watched Oakland coverage, they talked about the CBs and the coverage and not so much who the receiver was. I see he caught 4. Any drops?
You watched the game and you're asking me if he had any drops? What's that about?

Anyway, he did not have any drops or tough catches missed. He didn't have many drops in the first place. One, maybe two. Tough catches missed in prior games? Yes. Small sample size? Yes.

He took a good hit on a middle route and held on. He took a shot to the head downfield and held on. Tough catches made. Check and check. And he's a tough, physical guy who will get a lot of special team snaps. No ST penalties this game.

Open deep twice and the QBs missed. Check and check.

I saw one poor route run where he was targetted, feet kinda jumbled up on a slant but still had inside position. They've got the guy running a good sized chunk of the route tree.

I'm sure Moore will have his rookie challenges along the way, but there shouldn't be any doubt now that he'll be on the roster. And Allison should be looking over his shoulder. Moore's got the inside route toughness Allison lacks.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was nice to see that long pass down the boundary between defenders by Kizer to Moore. Got nailed on that one and kept control of that. Pretty similar to Hundley's pass to GMo in the first quarter. Hopefully that gets this kid in the right mindset. SOunds like he's working on what needs working on and it showed. He is the best of the bunch as long as he's catching the ball.

Gilbert was pretty good again. I think Jackson and Alexander were really good picks.

I had really high hopes 2 years ago for Montgomery, but the only thing we can rely on is that he has a bout 10 plays in him and he's done. Every single week. I've never seen someone leave games on such a regular basis in my life.

Kyle Murphy is a worse version of post injury Barclay by a good margin. I hope he never sets foot on the field for a meaningful snap again.

I wonder what the issue is. When he played last season he didn't play this bad. Both he and Spriggs looked like turn styles. There was no way to determine who might be the #2 QB because they both were running for their lives.

I know that they don't want to endanger the OL, but it would be nice to see what these guys can do with the starters. Does anyone know if they get any chances to practice with the starting OL?

H

HardRightEdge

Dont mind a female announcer, not being sexist, but she needs to ease up. Speak softer and act like you are enjoying the game too.
I thought it was a woman until the play-by-play guy referenced her by first name toward the end which sounded like a guy's name. Upon further review, it looks like that was Beth Mowins.

I thought she did a pretty good job. I expect the color analyst to analyze, point out keys to the play, not gush or lambaste in real time like Collinsworth while getting it wrong a good deal of the time. Chris should shut up until he sees the replay where he does a good job breaking down the tape.

Ray Scott never sounded like he was "enjoying" the game. ;) He sounded like he was working.

H

HardRightEdge

I wonder what the issue is. When he played last season he didn't play this bad. Both he and Spriggs looked like turn styles.
I dunno about that. I though Murphy played bad enough last season to see him competing at OG this year. Murphy does not have the quick feet needed to be playing out there.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I thought it was a woman until the play-by-play guy referenced her by first name toward the end which sounded like a guy's name. Upon further review, it looks like that was Beth Mowins.

I thought she did a pretty good job.

You thought it was "Ben Mowins"? ;) I hate when that happens.

I have actually heard her do a few broadcasts and thought she did a great job with them.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You watched the game and you're asking me if he had any drops? What's that about?
It was the Oakland broadcast. They talked about the CBs when a pass was completed. they interviewed Raiders and small screen inserted the Packer drive; and didn't even show several minutes of game, that I know of. Honestly, I knew of 1 reception by Moore.

Good to hear it sounds like he is back on track, production wise. When the word out of camp is that he reminds everyone of Devante Adams, that is promising.

H

HardRightEdge

It was the Oakland broadcast. They talked about the CBs when a pass was completed. they interviewed Raiders and small screen inserted the Packer drive; and didn't even show several minutes of game, that I know of. Honestly, I knew of 1 reception by Moore.

Good to hear it sounds like he is back on track, production wise. When the word out of camp is that he reminds everyone of Devante Adams, that is promising.
So you were listening to the Oakland broadcasters on the radio or something and not actually WATCHING the game? I still don't get it. If you have vision problems I appologize.

Of course, watching on a phone where the jersey numbers can't be made out would be a problem.

Members online

Latest posts