Packers Depth Grades

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Since CM3 chimed in on this, I thought it might be fun to do during the most boring time of the year...

QB: A (Rodgers, DeShone Kizer, Brett Hundley, Tim Boyle) - Pending no injuries, I fully expect Hundley to be traded to the first team that looses their starting QB in pre-season. If we can get ANYTHING for him, thats solid. Tim Boyle to the practice squad. They can’t have 4 QBs on a 53 man roster...can they?
RB: B (Aaron Jones, Jamal Williams, Ty Montgomery, Davante Mayes) - 3 guys I love, but really unproven still at this point. Strong depth though. Loose one guy, you still have two solid options.
WR: B+ (Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Geronimo Allison, Michael Clark, DeAngelo Yancey, Trevor Davis, J’Mon Moore, Valen-Scantling, St. Browneious) From a purely depth perspective, this is a A+, but a ton of young unproven names in this bunch. I expect one of the three rookies to stand out and either Clark/Davis/Yancey. I like the speed of the young, the talent of Adams and the Rodgers-Cobb relationship. I like Allison, but I expected more out of him last year. I keep having nightmares about him fumbling the ball at the end of the Carolina game. That being said, remember Adams in his second year? Hoping Allison has a come back year. If not, its his last year in a packers uniform.
TE: B+ (Graham, Lewis, Kendricks) If you lose Graham, your pretty much back to our TE situation the past 6 years. But the addition of Graham and one of the best blocking TE in the league, this is a massive upgrade to years past.
OL: C- (David Bahkitari, Jason Spriggs, Lane Taylor, Lucas Patrick, Corey Linsley, Justin McCray, Cole Madison, Byron Bell, Kyle Murphy, Bryan Bulaga) I am no professional in evaluating oline talent, but I really only feel comfortable with 3 guys on this list. The most underrated player in the NFL (IMO- David Bahkitari), Corey Linsley, and because he had a decent year last year Lane Taylor. The rest of kind of just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. Not a good position to be in with #12’s life depending on them.

DL: A- (Mo Wilkerson, Kenney Clark, Mike Daniels, Dean Lowry, Montravious Adams, James Looney) What is not to love about this grouping? Not a huge fan of the backups if one of the big boys gets hurt, but that starting line is MEAN. If those three can stay healthy this season, suddenly the Packers have the best 3-4 DL in the league.
OLB: D- (Nick Perry, CM3, Vince Beigel, Chris Odom, Kyler Frackell) This group is bad. The only possible upside is if Vince Beigel becomes a beast. Its likely the Badger homer in me, but seeing what TJ Watt has done in Pitt, I am beginning to think he was the reason Beigel looked so good in his last year. We need some serious help here.
ILB: C+ (Jake Ryan, Blake Martinez, Reggie Gilbert, Oren Burks)- About as average as it can get. But having Blake Martinez in the mix does add on that little + sign. I’m part of the small minority that actually likes Jake Ryan. There is an upside - Oren Burks could be a stud? There is a downside - Oren Burks could be the biggest waste of a 3rd rounder.
CB: (Kevin King, Tramon Williams, Davon House, Josh Jackson, Jaire Alexander, Lenny Pipkins, Josh Hawkins, Demetri Goodson, Quinten Rollins) Am I missing anyone? I expect Hawkins/Goodson/Rollins to be gone. Suddenly a gaping hole, has lots of potential. This one I am going to remain ungraded. Considering it could be one of the best groups in the NFL next year, or yet again the worst...I will grade by week 8.
S: B (Haha, Josh Jones, Evans, Brice) I LOVE Brice, but have no idea how he comes back from the injury. Jones showed potential last year and Jones showed no flashes of no potential. Expected from a rookie, but a massive question mark. Haha is the sole glue to this group. Get the man a contract!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RB: B . . . Strong depth though. Loose one guy, you still got 2

DL: A- (Mo Wilkerson, Kenney Clark, Mike Daniels, Dean Lowry, Montravious Adams, James Looney) What is not to love about this grouping? Not a huge fan of the backups if one of the big boys gets hurt, but that starting line is MEAN. If those three can stay healthy this season, suddenly the Packers have the best 3-4 DL in the league.
Confusing. Title says you are grading the depth. But DL gets an A when you say you not a fan of the backups.

But I agree with your take on the DL starters as well as most of your thoughts here. I would say Safety should be higher and CB you didnt grade should probably be a B.

D

Deleted member 6794

QB: A (Rodgers, DeShone Kizer, Brett Hundley, Tim Boyle) - Pending no injuries, I fully expect Hundley to be traded to the first team that looses their starting QB in pre-season. If we can get ANYTHING for him, thats solid. Tim Boyle to the practice squad. They can’t have 4 QBs on a 53 man roster...can they?

WR: B+ (Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Geronimo Allison, Michael Clark, DeAngelo Yancey, Trevor Davis, J’Mon Moore, Valen-Scantling, St. Browneious) From a purely depth perspective, this is a A+, but a ton of young unproven names in this bunch. I expect one of the three rookies to stand out and either Clark/Davis/Yancey. I like the speed of the young, the talent of Adams and the Rodgers-Cobb relationship. I like Allison, but I expected more out of him last year. I keep having nightmares about him fumbling the ball at the end of the Carolina game. That being said, remember Adams in his second year? Hoping Allison has a come back year. If not, its his last year in a packers uniform.

OL: C- (David Bahkitari, Jason Spriggs, Lane Taylor, Lucas Patrick, Corey Linsley, Justin McCray, Cole Madison, Byron Bell, Kyle Murphy, Bryan Bulaga) I am no professional in evaluating oline talent, but I really only feel comfortable with 3 guys on this list. The most underrated player in the NFL (IMO- David Bahkitari), Corey Linsley, and because he had a decent year last year Lane Taylor. The rest of kind of just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. Not a good position to be in with #12’s life depending on them.

ILB: C+ (Jake Ryan, Blake Martinez, Reggie Gilbert, Oren Burks)- About as average as it can get. But having Blake Martinez in the mix does add on that little + sign. I’m part of the small minority that actually likes Jake Ryan. There is an upside - Oren Burks could be a stud? There is a downside - Oren Burks could be the biggest waste of a 3rd rounder.

S: B (Haha, Josh Jones, Evans, Brice) I LOVE Brice, but have no idea how he comes back from the injury. Jones showed potential last year and Jones showed no flashes of no potential. Expected from a rookie, but a massive question mark. Haha is the sole glue to this group. Get the man a contract!

A few things about your list.

After watching Hundley play last season there's absolutely no way any team will give up a draft pick to acquire him. In addition the team won't definitely keep four quarterbacks on the roster.

In my opinion you're too optimistic about the wide receiver corps as aside of Adams and Cobb the Packers don't have any other proven players on it.

Reggie Gilbert is an outside linebacker and possibly the top backup on the edge.

Clinton-Dix struggled at least for parts of last season therefore he has to perform at an above average level consistently before Gutekunst should think about offering him an extension.

Last edited by a moderator:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might be nitpicking, but I find the thread title a little inconsistent with the post. Right off the bat, the QB situation is an A, with one gone, one on PS, and no mention of Kizer being a real unknown. Same for DL - your description itself denigrates the players behind the starters. Hence, Packer Depth Grades leads me to believe I've going to be looking at a different evaluation.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends on whose meaning of 'depth'. For me, it's not just having a lot of bodies; it's about having guys at a position who can come off the bench and play well.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't that everyone's definition? Each team has the same number of players, and, within a narrow range, the same number at most positions.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a B+ grade for the WR depth? We have very different definitions of the word "depth"

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a B+ grade for the WR depth? We have very different definitions of the word "depth"
I'm optimistic that one or more of the draft picks will work out... but that is all it is optimism. I certainly wouldn't say they have decent depth at the position at this point.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since CM3 chimed in on this, I thought it might be fun to do during the most boring time of the year...

RB: B (Aaron Jones, Jamal Williams, Ty Montgomery, Davante Mayes) - 3 guys I love, but really unproven still at this point. Strong depth though. Loose one guy, you still have two solid options.
TE: B+ (Graham, Lewis, Kendricks) If you lose Graham, your pretty much back to our TE situation the past 6 years. But the addition of Graham and one of the best blocking TE in the league, this is a massive upgrade to years past.

OLB: D- (Nick Perry, CM3, Vince Beigel, Chris Odom, Kyler Frackell) This group is bad. The only possible upside is if Vince Beigel becomes a beast. Its likely the Badger homer in me, but seeing what TJ Watt has done in Pitt, I am beginning to think he was the reason Beigel looked so good in his last year. We need some serious help here.
CB: (Kevin King, Tramon Williams, Davon House, Josh Jackson, Jaire Alexander, Lenny Pipkins, Josh Hawkins, Demetri Goodson, Quinten Rollins) Am I missing anyone? I expect Hawkins/Goodson/Rollins to be gone. Suddenly a gaping hole, has lots of potential. This one I am going to remain ungraded. Considering it could be one of the best groups in the NFL next year, or yet again the worst...I will grade by week 8.

I thought Gilbert was slotted at OLB and with Biegel there I can give then am easy C. CB is a D+ until I see what the starting unit looks like. S is a D-. Not sold on Dix YET, and we don't know who the other starter is. Otherwise can easily agree with you. Hundley being released or traded will up the QB group to A+ IMO.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

QB (B+) - great starter but one proven awful backup in Hundley and a guy the Browns were willing to get rid of in Kizer. I'm not buying MM's over-the-top praise of Kizer if the freaking Browns didn't want him.
RB (B) - best guy is Ty but he can't be counted on to stay healthy and the Packers have plenty of other decent RBs behind him, though nothing elite at the position
WR (B-) - Adams is very good, Cobb is potentially good but also potentially pedestrian, rest of the guys are unknown or pedestrian as well. Rogers' presence at QB will get B+/A- production out of these guys though
TE (B+) - Agree with what you said
OL (C) - 60% of the line is good with depth to fill in the rest; Rodgers will also help make this line look far better

DL (A-) - Interior deserves an A, edge guys deserve a D
OLB: (C-) - When healthy, this position is a B, but history shows these guys won't be healthy
ILB (C) - Average group
CB (D+) - Obviously young, improving players can increase this quite a bit once they show what they can do but as of now, it's by far the worst unit on the team
S (C) - Which HaHa will show up? Rest of the guys are all unproven; everyone is excited about potential but, this time of year, that's true of a LOT of players and it rarely works out

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
QB (B+) - great starter but one proven awful backup in Hundley and a guy the Browns were willing to get rid of in Kizer. I'm not buying MM's over-the-top praise of Kizer if the freaking Browns didn't want him.
RB (B) - best guy is Ty but he can't be counted on to stay healthy and the Packers have plenty of other decent RBs behind him, though nothing elite at the position
WR (B-) - Adams is very good, Cobb is potentially good but also potentially pedestrian, rest of the guys are unknown or pedestrian as well. Rogers' presence at QB will get B+/A- production out of these guys though
OL (C) - 60% of the line is good with depth to fill in the rest; Rodgers will also help make this line look far better

OLB: (C-) - When healthy, this position is a B, but history shows these guys won't be healthy
ILB (C) - Average group
CB (D+) - Obviously young, improving players can increase this quite a bit once they show what they can do but as of now, it's by far the worst unit on the team
S (C) - Which HaHa will show up? Rest of the guys are all unproven; everyone is excited about potential but, this time of year, that's true of a LOT of players and it rarely works out

About Kizer, he sucked in Cleveland because he came out as a Sophomore. If he sticks for 2017 at Notre Dame, both HE and St. Brown are top 2 round picks. He's not as bad as Cleveland's talent made him out to be. I think maybe Dorsey traded the guy to give him a chance. Who in Cleveland on that staff can develop a qb? And also part of it may be in Dorsey's eyes Mayfield is better right now, and who knows he might be RIGHT NOW.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A definite upgrade from Hundley

Even allowing for the fact that virtually anyone is such, neither of the others have ever shown anything with the Packers, so I still (as in posts above) don't understand the concept of this thread. A+ depth at QB is (maybe) what Minny and Philly showed last year, not two unknowns.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About Kizer, he sucked in Cleveland because he came out as a Sophomore. If he sticks for 2017 at Notre Dame, both HE and St. Brown are top 2 round picks. He's not as bad as Cleveland's talent made him out to be. I think maybe Dorsey traded the guy to give him a chance. Who in Cleveland on that staff can develop a qb? And also part of it may be in Dorsey's eyes Mayfield is better right now, and who knows he might be RIGHT NOW.

If he stayed another year? There's no guarantee he plays well as a junior, he might have hurt his draft stock. I just don't find it encouraging when a team trades a player at the most important position for an underwhelming first round disappointment.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

ILB (C) - Average group
Should I just rename this thread Packers position grades as no one seems to be able to comprehend the word depth?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

IMO all positions except DL & TE have D or worse depth as almost all of it is young and unproven or has been bad when given the chance. DL & TE should be a C+/B-.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

CB is a D+ until I see what the starting unit looks like. S is a D-. Not sold on Dix YET, and we don't know who the other starter is. Otherwise can easily agree with you. Hundley being released or traded will up the QB group to A+ IMO.

I expect the secondary to be significantly better than over the past two years but understand there's skepticism about the group entering this season because of a lot of players being inexperienced.

The Packers having Rodgers starting at quarterback results in the position group deserving an A+ but the team doesn't have any proven depth justifying that grade.

You realize that edge rushers aren't part of the defensive line, don't you???

A definite upgrade from Hundley

In my opinion Kizer still has to prove being an upgrade over Hundley.

Dorsey would be an utter fool if he traded Kozer just to give him a chance with another team if he thought he might develop into a decent starter.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The starting qb grade would be an A, however the thread is asking for posters to grade the depth of each position, so with Kizer now on board it would raise the grade from the F- Hundley had achieved, to a D+. If we witness Kizer keeping the team afloat in the absence of AR then the grade will increase, as of now he is totally unproven regardless of how his college career may of panned out if he had played longer. I do enjoy watching his pad level on film however it is astounding.

D

Deleted member 6794

The starting qb grade would be an A, however the thread is asking for posters to grade the depth of each position, so with Kizer now on board it would raise the grade from the F- Hundley had achieved, to a D+. If we witness Kizer keeping the team afloat in the absence of AR then the grade will increase, as of now he is totally unproven regardless of how his college career may of panned out if he had played longer.

I honestly hope we never have to find out if the depth at quarterback improved by trading for Kizer.

H

HardRightEdge

I can understand concern about the OLB bench given the starters propensity for injury, but to suggest Perry and Matthews are bad cornerstones in the group without the injury caveat puzzles me to no end. That's something I've read in these pages many times during the offseason.

Without the injury caveat, that opinion is unjustifed. These guys are still very good players. You can win a Superbowl with these guys if they can stay of the field. And if they stay on the field and a Superbowl is not won, it won't be their fault.

I'll offer one caveat to that assessment. Matthews playing in the middle for other than a few blitz snaps nullifies the above paragraph. It would be a misallocation of talent.

We still don't know what kind of mix of traditional 3-4 vs. 4-3 under with an elephant vs. standard 4-3 with hand in the dirt edges. Perry might be effective with a hand in the dirt. Matthews would not.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I can understand concern about the OLB bench given the starters propensity for injury, but to suggest Perry and Matthews are bad cornerstones in the group without the injury caveat puzzles me to no end. That's something I've read in these pages many times during the offseason.

Without the injury caveat, that opinion is unjustifed.

I agree, unfortunately it's unrealistic to expect both Matthews and Perry to stay healthy all season. While none of them has missed a ton of games over the past four seasons (Perry 9, Matthews 6) they have played hurt way too often resulting in them ineffective.

There's no doubt in my mind that the lack of quality depth at outside linebacker is a reason for concern.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe they've gotten all the injuries out of the way and will be injury free for a couple years? one can hope

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Given how much Aaron Rodgers and the Packer offense and ultimately the team relies on the passing game, this article today in the WSJ pretty much sums up what I have been saying for awhile now. Our lack of quality and experienced depth at WR, might be my biggest concern right now. Will some of the UDFA's or rookies be able to step up if Adams or Cobb are injured?

https://www.kpvi.com/tom-oates-pack...cle_85492d74-c36f-50a2-b366-ea581d8bef83.html

D

Deleted member 6794

Given how much Aaron Rodgers and the Packer offense and ultimately the team relies on the passing game, this article today in the WSJ pretty much sums up what I have been saying for awhile now. Our lack of quality and experienced depth at WR, might be my biggest concern right now. Will some of the UDFA's or rookies be able to step up if Adams or Cobb are injured?

https://www.kpvi.com/tom-oates-pack...cle_85492d74-c36f-50a2-b366-ea581d8bef83.html

I agree there's definitely reason for concern about the wide receiver corps entering this season although Graham offers another veteran option for Rodgers to throw to.

I'm still way more worried about the defensive side of the ball until proven otherwise, especially with the depth at outside linebacker.

Members online

Latest posts