Preseason #3 - Packers vs Raiders

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Jordy's back.
But in Raider's colours. Mixed emotions.

2. Offensive Line opportunities:
Competition between Spriggs, Murphy, Bell, Patrick, Day and Pankey should gain traction and we'd see the forerunners for the depth slots.

3. J'Mon Moore:
I reckon he'll play a good chunk. One potentially final attempt to kickstart his comeback.

4. Jaire Alexander:
We should see more of him potentially against Jordy.

5. Backup QB:
Don't think AR12 will suit up, but the depth trio battle will get intense.

Seems we played Raiders in preseason game 3 back in 2014. Here's the thread for the lolzy:

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/official-packers-vs-raiders-preseason-game-3-thread.53850/

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I have read, Aaron will sit, along with some of the other starters.

Packers have quite a few things to sort out. For one, who are the back-ups for the OL? So far no one is very impressive. Although I do like Murphy. It looks like Spriggs just isn't getting it. Bell does not impress me and I don't know too much about the other back-ups trying to make it.
I'm really hoping that Moore finally follows the ball all the way into his hands and makes some plays. If he can't get over the drops, I don't know what they will do with him.

Although MVS was pretty quiet in the last game, I hope he gets more chances this week. I am pulling for St. Brown but haven't really seen him do too much in the games. Hopefully he provides some action tonight. And of course, Kumerow. I hope he makes it.

Time to see what Alexander can do. I've heard talk that they will be trying him out as punt returner. If he works out, that could be the end of Davis....I'm not really going to miss him.

This is a late game and since I live in the mid-west, I won't be watching the whole game. Will watch pretty much of the 1st half.
Sure wish MM would let Kizer start instead of letting Hundley take it. We know what Hundley can do...I'm still not impressed. Oh well, that's why we watch the game, right?:)

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just wondering if jordy will get some time against his ex teammates. would love to see how our backs will go up against him, if they do wonder if williams will up against him. sad to see that this will be the last time we see jordy with the packs. going to be weird seeing him go up against the packs.

H

HardRightEdge

2. Offensive Line opportunities:
Competition between Spriggs, Murphy, Bell, Patrick, Day and Pankey should gain traction and we'd see the forerunners for the depth slots.

3. J'Mon Moore:
I reckon he'll play a good chunk. One potentially final attempt to kickstart his comeback.

4. Jaire Alexander:
We should see more of him potentially against Jordy.
2. OL:

I saw a note this week stating Patrick was being worked out at C. If they're serious about this as other than a deep bench #3, we should see him get some snaps there.

It's kind of tough having two backup OTs that play only OT (Murphy, Spriggs) and a backup C (Day) that plays only center when the game day roster is assembled. Add one OG to the game day roster and you're up to 9 guys and you're still not covered in the event of 2 OG injuries. I don't think you can carry 9 or 10 guys on the game day roster and expect to cover the other positional backups and special teams.

Assuming the starting 5 are on the field, a game day bench of Murphy for LT/RT, Bell or Pankey for OG/RT, and Patrick for OG/C makes sense. A combo such at that covers 2 in-game OL injuries. It's interesting that with Spriggs putting on 20 lbs. this offseason he hasn't been getting any preseason work at OG for positional flexibility.

3. Moore:

There are no interim cut downs this season. Everybody can keep up to 90 to the final cut downs after preseason week 4. Further, Moore doesn't have anything to come back from.

So, if one was of a mind to think he's on the bubble, it's more like he'll have two preseason games to kickstart his NFL career. We can say the same about any number of candidates.

4. Alexander:

It would be nice to see him get more snaps against anybody.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.packers.com/news/how-to-watch-the-packers-raiders-preseason-game

STREAMING
Watch live out-of-market preseason games, replays of every game, the NFL Films Archive, and much more. Cancel NFL Game Pass anytime during your trial. Start your free trial.
The 7 day trial should also get next weeks Thurs game.
NFL Network will air the game live outside of the Packers' home market (starting at 10 p.m. CT). They will also re-air the game four times after its conclusion:

• Friday, Aug. 24 at 3 a.m. CT
  • Monday, Aug. 27 at 7 p.m. CT
  • Wednesday, Aug. 29 at 11 p.m. CT
  • Thursday, Aug. 30 at 2:30 p.m. CT

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard a clip of Moore. He has moxy. He said in similar words... " I'm not playing up to my usual greatness. I'm thinking too much with the new offense and playbook. and I think its effected me. But its ok. I will settle in and get back to not over thinking and playing up to my usual standard. Nobody can play spectacular every day... "

Lol.
Nobody can play spectacular every day... Keep that dude.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Still no running game and Monty is made of glass. Doubt he gets cut, but he isn't a guy I want to see getting a lot of carries, nor returning kickoffs.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would add Jaire Alexander to that :inlove:. These 2 guys along with Williams and King could really turn the secondary into a strength.

How bad is Oren Burks injury? Ready to sign NaVorro Bowman yet?

Damn, a holding just eliminated another josh jackson pick 6!
I don’t think Burks injury is bad, injuried it in warm ups and is not wearing a sling. But we would really use bowman either way.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moore is having a decent game for being our offensive line is disgusting and the QBs can’t get a second to throw

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I would add Jaire Alexander to that :inlove:. These 2 guys along with Williams and King could really turn the secondary into a strength.

How bad is Oren Burks injury? Ready to sign NaVorro Bowman yet?
I didn’t think Jaire Alexander looked that good last night. The INT was athletic as heck, but had the throw been where it should have been, that is a TD. He did not look good in press coverage at all. It is his first game though.

Josh Jackson on the other hand is absolutely a ball hawk. I love how that kid plays and he is the guy I wanted in the first. Couldn’t believe he got him in the second!

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

1) J'Mon Moore - Managed to get out of the hole and may have finalized his place on the roster.
2) Josh Jackson - Can't wait to see him in regular season.
3) Gilbert - Awesome sauce!

Duds:

1) OLine - Abysmal. start praying starters stay healthy.
2) TyM - Injury again. Bad performance again.
3) Run defence - better left unsaid.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn’t think Jaire Alexander looked that good last night. The INT was athletic as heck, but had the throw been where it should have been, that is a TD. He did not look good in press coverage at all. It is his first game though.

Josh Jackson on the other hand is absolutely a ball hawk. I love how that kid plays and he is the guy I wanted in the first. Couldn’t believe he got him in the second!
I would disagree. The only thing that made that pass look like "had the throw been where it should have been, it's a TD" was because as usual Ha, Ha was late getting over there. Jaire had closed that gap very nicely and made a great play. Let's not forget Jackson was 6 yards off a guy too that went for a big play too.

Both those guys are showing good coverage skills and a nose for the ball. I think there is a lot to be excited about with this group all the way around. Minus the safeties. Brice looked a bit better than last week, but i'm wishing we'd have kept the old man Burnett at this point and let Dix walk after 4. He better ratchet this up about 9 notches when the regular season hits or I'm burning my winnings from the "guess the Rodgers stats" contest we had a while ago.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

1) J'Mon Moore - Managed to get out of the hole and may have finalized his place on the roster.
2) Josh Jackson - Can't wait to see him in regular season.
3) Gilbert - Awesome sauce!

Duds:

1) OLine - Abysmal. start praying starters stay healthy.
2) TyM - Injury again. Bad performance again.
3) Run defence - better left unsaid.
That was nice to see that long pass down the boundary between defenders by Kizer to Moore. Got nailed on that one and kept control of that. Pretty similar to Hundley's pass to GMo in the first quarter. Hopefully that gets this kid in the right mindset. SOunds like he's working on what needs working on and it showed. He is the best of the bunch as long as he's catching the ball.

Gilbert was pretty good again. I think Jackson and Alexander were really good picks.

I had really high hopes 2 years ago for Montgomery, but the only thing we can rely on is that he has a bout 10 plays in him and he's done. Every single week. I've never seen someone leave games on such a regular basis in my life.

Kyle Murphy is a worse version of post injury Barclay by a good margin. I hope he never sets foot on the field for a meaningful snap again.

GB2016

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Special Teams looked bad last night. This might be the weak link this year for any SB run.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Special Teams looked bad last night. This might be the weak link this year for any SB run.
maybe that's a good sign, it's the exact thing I thought going into the year we won it. That our special teams would have to win us something or keep a game for us at some point in the playoffs and they'd blow it. They almost tried to once, but they overcame it all. Maybe this is our year LOL

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Late night for me, so didn't get to watch much more than the 1st quarter, but sounds like from all the comments, the OL backups are once again looking pretty shoddy. I know a team can't have quality starters for depth, but WOW some of these guys appear they aren't even ready to play in the NFL. This has to be one of the biggest concerns for the Packers right now. I know there is a lot of talk about trading for Mack, but if Bulaga or Bahk go down, which seems to be likely every season, I would rather see efforts at securing 1-2 guys that can play on the OL with some regularity without being a major liability.

The other position of concern to me is ILB. Not sure if anyone noticed Martinez grab his knee early in the first quarter, but that made my heart stop. If he goes down, what then? Just not excited about starting a rookie, that is if Burks can go. After that, we are down to 2 UDFA's that are as green as green. Go sign Bowman, now!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The thing to keep in mind about special teams is the fact that many of the guys playing on it won't even be on the team after Sept. 1. Zook has his hands full trying to rotate players in and out of special teams and evaluate each and everyone in the process. I'm not very excited about anyone I have seen returning kickoffs, but that may change as well once the special teams are set and the same guys can work together more frequently.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still no running game and Monty is made of glass. Doubt he gets cut, but he isn't a guy I want to see getting a lot of carries, nor returning kickoffs.
The guy looks like he's made of granite but it appears paper-mache is his actual composition. Every time he's out there I am expecting an injury. Some guys are more injury prone than others and unfortunately our guy 88 is one of those guys. Frustrating.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The guy looks like he's made of granite but it appears paper-mache is his actual composition. Every time he's out there I am expecting an injury. Some guys are more injury prone than others and unfortunately our guy 88 is one of those guys. Frustrating.
Yes and for as much promise as he showed in the early stages of his switch from WR to RB, I have been less and less impressed with his abilities. Give him a clear visible hole and he does pretty well, but he seems to lack the ability to find holes and make something out of nothing. His 4 straight plays to start the game and everything (except the one good run) after that, may actually have him on the roster bubble.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Late night for me, so didn't get to watch much more than the 1st quarter, but sounds like from all the comments, the OL backups are once again looking pretty shoddy. I know a team can't have quality starters for depth, but WOW some of these guys appear they aren't even ready to play in the NFL. This has to be one of the biggest concerns for the Packers right now. I know there is a lot of talk about trading for Mack, but if Bulaga or Bahk go down, which seems to be likely every season, I would rather see efforts at securing 1-2 guys that can play on the OL with some regularity without being a major liability.

The other position of concern to me is ILB. Not sure if anyone noticed Martinez grab his knee early in the first quarter, but that made my heart stop. If he goes down, what then? Just not excited about starting a rookie, that is if Burks can go. After that, we are down to 2 UDFA's that are as green as green. Go sign Bowman, now!
I'm with you on this entire post. We MUST do something about the line. Murphy is going to get someone killed. I wouldn't be surprised if AR's next contact contains some sort of language stating he won't play if Murph is occupying either T spot. I text my buddy last night that I never thought I'd miss the Barclay days. Getting decent OL this time of year can prove challenging but Gute has to reinforce that position and immediately.

Your Bowman comment was pretty much the same thing I text my buddy too. I'm a huge OU fan and love Ahmad Thomas but I'm not thrilled about him starting regular season games just yet. He was a safety in Norman and still has a ton to learn about the MLB position. I think he can be a nice player in time but I certainly don't think that time is now. Martini looks serviceable but in reality he's a less experienced, less proven Jake Ryan. Bowman still has some game left in him and would provide a steadying presence on the field and in the locker room. Get him...like yesterday! If we lose Blake...I can't even let myself go there.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yup and between now and opening day is the time to start making these moves on the OL and at ILB. If the Packers stand around and do nothing until the inevitable happens, injuries take a starter or two out, they are going to be looking at a leaking boat that is taking on too much water to be baled out.