Packers Depth Grades

Reaction score
I still predict that WR depth will be the sleeper that improve most drastically this year. Kumerow has been absolutely fantastic and sounds like he is on pace to make the 53.

If that happens that’ll leave quite a battle for what is likely 3-4 spots (included practice squad) with ...
Draftees: J’mon, Equinimeous, Marquez, and Deangelo, then an intriguing former tryout player in Adonis. Then A solid ST player in Trevor and a consistent veteran in Geronimo. Not to mention the Kyle Lewis signing. I have zero doubt that several from that group are going to rise up and give us some exciting depth

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

why would you call him a mistake? you guys are harsh. A mistake is drafting a guy like Manziel. A guy you can see has the maturity of an 8 year old and the who's greatest attribute was playing backyard ball throwing weak passes to wide open receivers in college, but still taking him before round 4. That's a mistake. Rollins came in, had a pretty good rookie season. Was part of the reason NOBODY said **** about losing Hayward and then played another year injured the entire time and then tore an achilles and missed an entire season again. I think it's a little unfair to judge a guy like that as a mistake. We certainly haven't gotten the production we'd like out of a 2nd rounder overall. But what was his PFF rating after rookie? what were people saying about him then? what did us as fans think of him then? 2 seasons pretty much lost or hampered by injury is what you use to call him a mistake? Man, harsh. He probably won't ever live up to it either. Ruptured achilles took down Revis Island to a mere mortal, Rollins wasn't Revis to start with.

It might be harsh to call drafting Rollins a mistake but it's a fact that the Packers didn't receive enough production out of a second round pick over the first three seasons in the league for whatever reason. With him coming back from a torn Achilles I don't expect he will be able to replicate the performance during his rookie season either.

Hyde was played out of position in GB. After the trade, he excelled at his natural position, safety.

Hyde mostly lined up at safety in Green Bay as well. There was no reason to start him ahead of Burnett or Clinton-Dix though.

I"m find calling Randall a bust, his attitude sucked. His abilities didn't. I can see why the pick was made, he has the talent.

In my opinion it wasn't smart selecting Randall in the first round if they never planned lining him up at free safety.

Draftees: J’mon, Equinimeous, Marquez, and Deangelo, then an intriguing former tryout player in Adonis. Not to mention the Kyle Lewis signing.

I highly doubt that Jennings and Lewis are anything more than camp bodies.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calling a player like Randall or Rollins a bust or a boom after 3 years is completely subjective. One can choose to look at the positives and the potential of each, subtract out the injuries and maybe bad coaching, toss in the what ifs and almosts and both guys probably don't look that bad. Or one can take the other side and point out what they didn't do, how they compared to other 1st and 2nd round picks, which seems to be a 50/50 proposition in GB lately. I am comfortable with calling Randall a bust and the only thing that changes that for me is another player, DeShone Kizer. If Kizer somehow turns into something, then I will say the Randall pick actually ended up somehow working its way out. But if Kizer isn't much and even if Randall turns into a ProBowler in Cleveland, I will always view him as a bust first round pick for the Packers. The book on Rollins isn't finished yet, but I'm really not that impressed with it thus far. Of course, that is my subjective point of view of both players.
Yeah I think the fact they felt they had to trade Randall puts him squarely in the “bust” category. And I think that trade had as much to do with his attitude and (immaturity level. Yes, he made some pics last year, but at least one or two were off deflections. I think it takes at least three full years (barring injuries) to even think about labeling a player a boom or bust. I loved it when they drafted Davante Adams, but was ready to call him a bust after two years. Then year three rolled around and, well, we all know what happened. I do think Rollins is a bust, although injuries have been a factor. I’d like to see a full season out of him before truly calling him a bust. I’d love it if he proves me wrong.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might be harsh to call drafting Rollins a mistake but it's a fact that the Packers didn't receive enough production out of a second round pick over the first three seasons in the league for whatever reason. With him coming back from a torn Achilles I don't expect he will be able to replicate the performance during his rookie season either.

Hyde mostly lined up at safety in Green Bay as well. There was no reason to start him ahead of Burnett or Clinton-Dix though.
Yeah that’s true. And maybe the fact he played behind HaHa and Burnett didn’t give the Packers enough to see to keep him. He was a safety on a safety-heavy team.

In my opinion it wasn't smart selecting Randall in the first round if they never planned lining him up at free safety.

I highly doubt that Jennings and Lewis are anything more than camp bodies.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HAHA doesn’t deserve an extension. Yea he’s the leader in the back end with MB being gone...but there’s NOTHING I see about HCD that makes me think he’s a top tier safety. I can see those things when I watch Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, and even Harrison Smith. I haven’t seen anything since HAHA’s rookie season that gets me excited about the guy.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I am planning on watching the rest of the Family Night later, I only saw the first half of it. One thing I was totally under impressed with was what I saw of Kizer. He threw a deep ball that looked like it got shot out of a lame duck. Then a few of his passes were way off target to open receivers. I hope he was just having an off night? Boyle on the other hand impressed me and it sounds like he is getting more work right behind AR. Granted, that could be just to give him more experience, since both Hundley and Kizer had a lot of real game reps last year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HAHA doesn’t deserve an extension. Yea he’s the leader in the back end with MB being gone...but there’s NOTHING I see about HCD that makes me think he’s a top tier safety. I can see those things when I watch Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, and even Harrison Smith. I haven’t seen anything since HAHA’s rookie season that gets me excited about the guy.
I don’t think HaHa will/can ever become the defensive QB that we had in Burnett. As far as simply playing his position, he’s going to have to return to prior form as last year was below average. I can’t believe the guy is talking about an extension after last season.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think HaHa will/can ever become the defensive QB that we had in Burnett. As far as simply playing his position, he’s going to have to return to prior form as last year was below average. I can’t believe the guy is talking about an extension after last season.

Probably because he feels GB is the only team that will overpay for him...being he has been a starter here since his rookie season. The verdict is still out on this new GM...but I have a feeling the days of overpaying to keep your own guys left with Ted Thompson. Especially since HAHA wasn’t drafted by Gute.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably because he feels GB is the only team that will overpay for him...being he has been a starter here since his rookie season. The verdict is still out on this new GM...but I have a feeling the days of overpaying to keep your own guys left with Ted Thompson. Especially since HAHA wasn’t drafted by Gute.
Yeah I hope so. TT was too stubborn, to the point that he would live by his “draft and develop” philosophy to the detriment of the team. There is nothing wrong and everything right with cutting a player who isn’t performing - and I don’t care what round he was drafted. I’ve been hearing that once in awhile about Rollins and Spriggs - “Well they can’t be cut becasue they were selected in the 2nd round.” That’s BS. Just my opinion, but I don’t think either of these guys should be in camp. They had their chance, too bad they were slecected so high, now move on to guys who can do the job. “Draft and Develop” is an ideal, not a rigid process. Not all high round guys pan out, and some late round guys and UDFAs do very well. Anyway, back to HaHa, I’m not sure if TT would have paid him at this point, Gute won’t.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I hope so. TT was too stubborn, to the point that he would live by his “draft and develop” philosophy to the detriment of the team. There is nothing wrong and everything right with cutting a player who isn’t performing - and I don’t care what round he was drafted. I’ve been hearing that once in awhile about Rollins and Spriggs - “Well they can’t be cut becasue they were selected in the 2nd round.” That’s BS. Just my opinion, but I don’t think either of these guys should be in camp. They had their chance, too bad they were slecected so high, now move on to guys who can do the job. “Draft and Develop” is an ideal, not a rigid process. Not all high round guys pan out, and some late round guys and UDFAs do very well. Anyway, back to HaHa, I’m not sure if TT would have paid him at this point, Gute won’t.

Two terrible picks years later smh.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
TT was the one that exercised the 5th year option on HaHA last spring. This is his big contract year. I expect him to play his *** off.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers definitely shouldn't pay Clinton-Dix elite money but it would be smart to sign him to a resonable deal.

I don’t think HaHa will/can ever become the defensive QB that we had in Burnett.

Hopefully Clinton-Dix is capable of improving communication in the secondary as there were way too many missed assignments with Burnett calling the shots.

I’ve been hearing that once in awhile about Rollins and Spriggs - “Well they can’t be cut becasue they were selected in the 2nd round.” That’s BS. Just my opinion, but I don’t think either of these guys should be in camp.

Both Spriggs and Rollins definitely deserve to be in camp with the offensive lineman being all but guaranteed of making the roster. Rollins seems to be on the bubble.

Members online

Latest posts