Preseason 2 Washington Redskins Studs/Duds

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
That Bennett TD was just awesome. Finally got a huge TE that can just go up and catch a ball and bully his way through to catch it.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
That Bennett TD was just awesome. Finally got a huge TE that can just go up and catch a ball and bully his way through to catch it.
And Rodgers even by his own admission didn't throw the ball high enough, and it was still a pretty nicely placed ball. Luckily the DB didn't turn around to make a play on it.

Once Rodgers and Bennett really get their timing down, talk about a lethal duo.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Hill, Rollins, Geronimo, Hundley........McCaffrey looked smooth on catching punts.
Gilbert #93 intrigues me. He has good size and he looks fast.
Price #96 has a good motor and runs down the line well. They seemed to double team him several times.
Duds: The guy that body slammed the receiver.
Spriggs...I don't even think he will be able to play guard. He seems to be playing patty cake out there.

D

Deleted member 6794

Can't remember how many plays, but Bennett and Kendricks were on the field quite a bit together on that first drive in multiple formation looks. And there was a double TE look, along with looks that had Bennett on the outside and Kendricks in traditional TE spot. Contrary to what many have tried spewing, these two will be on the field together often.

The Packers lined up with both Bennett and Kendricks on the field for five of the 15 plays on the first drive.

I don't trust Trevor Davis in punt returns. Just didn't look comfortable out there. Maybe that can be rectified.

There's no doubt Davis has to hold on to the ball in that situation King missing a block allowing the gunner to get into his face didn't help matters.

Hawkins might end up one of our starting corners. Gunter played well also.

I didn't watch the game closely but didn't Hawkins give up the touchdown late in the first half???

Does Janis return punts ?

Janus hasn't returned a punt either in the regular season ir pkayoffs so far.

Callahan certainly looked less than stellar to me. Two incompletes and a sack in his first 3 pass attempts? Another sack and a fumble in his next attempt? His only completion was for zero yards? Tell me again why we picked this guy up.

Callahan perform on a pretty high level during the preseason last year and McCarthy was furious when he was picked up by the Saints once the Packers tried to stash him on the practice squad in October. It's impossible to fairly evaluate him based on three passes behind a struggling offensive line.

And Rodgers even by his own admission didn't throw the ball high enough, and it was still a pretty nicely placed ball. Luckily the DB didn't turn around to make a play on it.

It was actually a linebacker covering Bennett on that play. The Packers might be able to explore such mismatches a lot this season.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers lined up with both Bennett and Kendricks on the field for five of the 15 plays on the first drive.

There's no doubt Davis has to hold on to the ball in that situation King missing a block allowing the gunner to get into his face didn't help matters.

I didn't watch the game closely but didn't Hawkins give up the touchdown late in the first half???

Janus hasn't returned a punt either in the regular season ir pkayoffs so far.

Callahan perform on a pretty high level during the preseason last year and McCarthy was furious when he was picked up by the Saints once the Packers tried to stash him on the practice squad in October. It's impossible to fairly evaluate him based on three passes behind a struggling offensive line.

It was actually a linebacker covering Bennett on that play. The Packers might be able to explore such mismatches a lot this season.

The TD late in the first half was against a zone with a few guys around the receiver. Hard to tell if someone was at fault if the WR and Cousins just did a good job finding the open area.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Hill, Rollins, Geronimo, Hundley........McCaffrey looked smooth on catching punts.
Gilbert #93 intrigues me. He has good size and he looks fast.
Price #96 has a good motor and runs down the line well. They seemed to double team him several times.
Duds: The guy that body slammed the receiver.
Spriggs...I don't even think he will be able to play guard. He seems to be playing patty cake out there.

I wonder if they messed Spriggs up last year by trying to train him to play other positions instead of focusing on the tackle positions.

D

Deleted member 6794

The TD late in the first half was against a zone with a few guys around the receiver. Hard to tell if someone was at fault if the WR and Cousins just did a good job finding the open area.

It seemed to me the defensive backs gave Crowder way too much cushion in the end zone on that play though.

NJPackfan..

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just when Davis looked good as a punt returner he fumbles another one. Is it back to the dog house for Davis ?

Reaction score
Geronimo Allison impressed me. right place and right time.
Have to agree. I've been super high on Allison since last year, but my rational brain has always admitted that he's probably got a relatively low ceiling. Thing about him, though, is he seems to make plays more often than guys who should make more plays. I'm not sure what it is, but he just seems to be a pretty good football player.

Janis also is making it really hard for the team to cut him. Not sure how I feel about that, lol.
Duds:

Geronimo Allison
Did you watch the game?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just when Davis looked good as a punt returner he fumbles another one. Is it back to the dog house for Davis ?
And McCaffrey looked smooth catching punts. Not to mention he looked good running one of them back.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw only part of the game on a vey small screen. Rewatching today and will revise.

But things I noticed:

Studs
Janis had his best showing as a WR.
Hawkins and King both had some nice plays.
Aaron Jones looked good considering the blocking he had to work with.
Aaron Rodgers -picking up where he left off.
Kenny Clark. Saw him absolutely manhandle the OL
Bennett. His TD looked too easy.

Duds
Run blocking. Did not see a single hole.

Spriggs in particular

Special teams - did not help us.

The Redskins. They looked awful, even their #1 offense and did not give us a good test. They are in for a long season.

Complete dud: Jason Spriggs. He was awful. I hope it gets fixed, but that might be overly optimistic. He's a reason for concern right now.

On the bright side, it is nice to see Janis looking like an actual wide receiver. Whether he can do that against A-level competition remains to be seen, but things are looking up for him.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not if our Oline doesn't start run blocking better, with the lack of movement up front teams might be able to counter our big sets with nickel fronts.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Complete dud: Jason Spriggs. He was awful. I hope it gets fixed, but that might be overly optimistic. He's a reason for concern right now.

On the bright side, it is nice to see Janis looking like an actual wide receiver. Whether he can do that against A-level competition remains to be seen, but things are looking up for him.

I'm frankly shocked by how bad Spriggs looks... just awful out there. Maybe his additional bulk is giving him problems and he hasn't adjusted yet, here's hoping. I thought he'd turn into a player with a full offseason but now he looks worse than he did last year.

Fackrell also hasn't done much of anything yet, he's just been bad in practice and during preseason. He also looked like a guy last year with some natural ability who would get better if he put on more muscle but now he's just a guy who apparently doesn't have any burst or explosion.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seemed to me the defensive backs gave Crowder way too much cushion in the end zone on that play though.

Very reasonable analysis. They certainly did give a lot of cushion.

After watching the replay, I can see King and Gunter near the ball. Can you tell if Hawkins is the third guy?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very reasonable analysis. They certainly did give a lot of cushion.

After watching the replay, I can see King and Gunter near the ball. Can you tell if Hawkins is the third guy?

It looked like Hawkins was deeper in the end zone, can't tell who's at fault there.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not to rain on the Janis looking good at WR parade, but this isn't the first time he has flashed in the preseason. It was the reason he made the team his rookie year and I believe even his second year. Last year he was kept due to his 2015 special teams play being so spectacular. Until Jeff can actually be on the field with the first team offense and play well against a starting defense, I can't help but seeing him as that WR who has struggled to see playing time, run routes and consistently catch the ball his entire NFL career (regular season).

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The loss of JC Tretter may be one of the most important from last season because right now the backups at OL look awful. If the Packers have an Achilles heel this season it could be that. All it takes is for one or two of the OL starters to go down for the Packers to be in trouble.

Reaction score
The loss of JC Tretter may be one of the most important from last season because right now the backups at OL look awful. If the Packers have an Achilles heel this season it could be that. All it takes is for one or two of the OL starters to go down for the Packers to be in trouble.
Yeah, I was almost as dismayed with the Tretter loss as I was with the Sitton move.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree the Oline depth is a concern. To me it simply put's us into the same boat as 95% of the league when it comes to line depth. Least we got 5 legit NFL starters in the starting lineup. That better then most everyone else in the league. Our starting Oline is still top 3 in the league.

Guess I'm just asking what was the alternative? Pay Tretter like a starter to be a backup? (Mind u we would've had to pay him more then he got because he most likely valued the ability to be a penciled in starter)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think most of us agree that the starting 5 on the OL are solid, but I don't want to see a repeat of the CB and RB position from last year, when injuries exposed just how thin those positions were.

Unless the play of the backups on the OL improve in the next few weeks, I won't be shocked to see at least 1 if not 2 moves made to try and improve it. I doubt a trade, but maybe picking up a veteran who gets cut. Doubt it will be someone as good as the Bears got last year in Sitton, but wouldn't take much to have better backup options at this point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree the Oline depth is a concern. To me it simply put's us into the same boat as 95% of the league when it comes to line depth. Least we got 5 legit NFL starters in the starting lineup. That better then most everyone else in the league. Our starting Oline is still top 3 in the league.
while I agree with the first part, top 3 OL ?!? I mean, I'm always an optimist and some label me a homer because of it, but top 3? Do you mean just Pass blocking? maybe. But run blocking is quite poor. Bottom 10. We average out to top 1/3rd ish.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
while I agree with the first part, top 3 OL ?!? I mean, I'm always an optimist and some label me a homer because of it, but top 3? Do you mean just Pass blocking? maybe. But run blocking is quite poor. Bottom 10. We average out to top 1/3rd ish.

With AR as our QB, I have kind of succumbed to the fact that even though our OL just isn't that great at run blocking, their pass blocking makes up for it. I also think AR plays a factor in making that pass blocking look really good. AR has a pocket presence better than most, so while some QB's might be getting hit/sacked more often behind our line, AR knows how to navigate a collapsing pocket. Hopefully, we won't have to witness it in the regular season, but it would be interesting to see just how good that pass blocking turns out to be with Brett Hundley behind center.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Top pass blocking unit in a league imo where passing the ball is much more important then running it. Yeah I'd rate them top 3.

Latest posts