Post MM firing -- coaching search: who we want -- ALL threads merged

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Allison and Cobb's numbers are worse because they couldn't stay healthy. Our top three receivers this year are Adams, Graham and MVS. Adams has been excellent. Everything you want from a number 1. Graham has underperformed Jared Cook and MVS, Cobb and Allison have each underperformed Jordy.

I think management made a dumb error in letting Jordy go. He would have played for cheap and he and Rodgers had great chemistry. It was also dumb to let Jared Cook go last year. An accumulation of bad decisions = bad team = losing record. Most of it is on Ted Thompson, who burned a bushel basket of draft picks on defensive backs who couldn't get the job done. (Some of that may have been on Capers, too, obviously.)

Gute has his work cut out for him.
I think Dantes covered everything else pretty well, but the part about Jordy playing for cheap is pure speculation unless there's a source that I missed some time over the past several months.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philbin being anywhere near a HC vacancy I care about is something scary. I don't care if he's driving by on his way to get donuts, if he's near a vacancy, I'm concerned.

For everyone panicking about Philbin getting an interim tag (he'll be gone once the season is over), we could have done much worse.

What if (vomit) Murphy had stuck Ron Zook or Joe Whitt Jr in there as our HC?

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Numbers aside, I must be in the minority but good riddance in terms of Jordy. That guy QUIT on the Packers last season. It was plain for all to see that when Hundley was in there, there was one WR busting his butt trying to still make plays and that was Adams. Nelson gave up on the team when Rodgers went down. If I were the GM or coach, I wouldn't want that guy around either. You don't just play hard when it's easy. You play hard all the time and ESPECIALLY when it's needed most.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers signing of Cignetti as QB coach (a guy with ties to McCarthy going back to Pittsburgh and New Orleans days) was reported on Jan. 10
Maybe McCarthy expected Van Pelt to move on (get hired somewhere as an OC) and had told Cignetti he was getting the job (having previously offered Van Pelt the extension). McCarthy seems like the kind of guy who will want to keep his word after he tells someone they have the job.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For everyone panicking about Philbin getting an interim tag (he'll be gone once the season is over), we could have done much worse.

What if (vomit) Murphy had stuck Ron Zook or Joe Whitt Jr in there as our HC?

I have no problem with the interim tag. I'm worried that Mark Murphy said one of the reasons they let MM go when they did was to give Philbin four games to show what he could do as head coach. Truthful or not, I got a little nauseous.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want a coach who:

1) Can actually manage the clock
2) Makes effective use of his challenges
3) Makes good decisions on 4th and short
4) Never takes his foot off the gas
5) Doesn't burn timeouts because of failure to get substitution pattern right
6) Is willing to situationally substitute running backs
7) Runs up-tempo most of the time -- not just when he's way behind
8) Can figure out a way to score 35 or more points per game
9) Takes steps to minimize mental mistakes by his players

majority of these listed out remind me of the last month with McCarthy. The Seattle game not going for that 4th down and he said he thought about taking a time out to think about it! I'm sorry, but I want my head coach to have a play already that he wants to call if in that position. Work with the offense, because it is a likely scenario. 4th and short, getting near mid-field with the little to no time left, game on the line. I don't want to call a time out to think about it. Have the play already worked out with the offense so that can go to the line and be prepared. And to further expose the wound, he punts it and says the numbers were to punt the ball, when you have two defensive lineman knocked out of the game...Then when he DID go for the 4th down the following week, was a typical run up the middle. I am getting flustered all over again just typing that out!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philbin being anywhere near a HC vacancy I care about is something scary. I don't care if he's driving by on his way to get donuts, if he's near a vacancy, I'm concerned.
It seems we often disagree... not this time.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We could debate the other things, but what I'm saying is that it doesn't make any sense to criticize the FO for replacing Nelson with Valdes-Scantling when that was never the plan. They replaced Nelson with Allison and also planned to have Cobb on the field. They could not have foreseen losing both of them.

I agree and add to it, that the signing of Graham totally made Jordy look expendable at the time to the Packers.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree and add to it, that the signing of Graham totally made Jordy look expendable at the time to the Packers.

And the fact remains that Jordy is basically washed. Allison was an upgrade over him (THIS old version of him-- I don't want people to get it twisted; I love Jordy).

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
And the fact remains that Jordy is basically washed. Allison was an upgrade over him (THIS old version of him-- I don't want people to get it twisted; I love Jordy).
Yup, I hated seeing Jordy gone and at the time fought with the decision being a good one. Had Allison not gotten hurt, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I like Todd Monken even though the Buccaneers are a losing team. They lead the NFL this year in yards with Winston and Fitzpatrick as their QBs.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Todd Monken even though the Buccaneers are a losing team. They lead the NFL this year in yards with Winston and Fitzpatrick as their QBs.

Thing is does he actually call and design plays, or is he just an Edgar Bennett OC in name only? That's the thing when you got HCs like Koetter who build and design offenses, they can give assistants titles that aren't meaningful. Same thing going on in New Orleans. There's an offensive coordinator there named Pete Carmichael, but I'm pretty sure he's just there in name only and the show is run by Payton.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but according to Murphy:

“Aaron is free to provide input but he won’t be part of the process,”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...nt-be-involved-in-the-search-for-a-new-coach/

To be fair, I don't think Rodgers has gotten to the point where he thinks he needs to go into the FO and say get *** coach because I say so. I know he wasn't happy with AVP getting canned, but the way that happened was kinda odd to me. Honestly, I think Aaron will allow them to do their job and have an open mind to who it will be, unless it's McDaniels.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
Thing is does he actually call and design plays, or is he just an Edgar Bennett OC in name only? That's the thing when you got HCs like Koetter who build and design offenses, they can give assistants titles that aren't meaningful. Same thing going on in New Orleans. There's an offensive coordinator there named Pete Carmichael, but I'm pretty sure he's just there in name only and the show is run by Payton.

If you can believe internet articles then apparently the only game Koetter called the plays this season was their 16-3 loss.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eddie Lacy would be an excellent head coach. Laid back, no pressure, do you own thing approach. Twinkies and cupcakes in the training room.

smacker

Smacker = Smack talking Packer Fan
Reaction score
Eddie Lacy would be an excellent head coach. Laid back, no pressure, do you own thing approach. Twinkies and cupcakes in the training room.
LOL, okay if we are just being silly, how about Brad Childress? Look what he did for the Viqueens! ( I hope everyone understands this is a joke)

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Murphy appointed Philbin interim head coach figuring he was incompetent enough to lead the team to 4 straight defeats and improve the Packer draft picks.

H

HardRightEdge

Maybe McCarthy expected Van Pelt to move on (get hired somewhere as an OC) and had told Cignetti he was getting the job (having previously offered Van Pelt the extension). McCarthy seems like the kind of guy who will want to keep his word after he tells someone they have the job.
Not quite. The extension was offered a year prior. Things change when a guy declines an offer, or when a year has passed, or when Van Pelt was finally presented with a challenge (Hundley) and did not come looking very good.

Look again at the time line I posted. Van Pelt signed as QB coach with the Bengals two days after the Packers signed his replacement. He received no interest in an OC job. At that juncture, all McCarthy had to do was pick up the phone and offer him his old job back. He signed Cingetti instead who, by the way, did not come out of this smelling like a rose given Kizer's brief stint.

H

HardRightEdge

LOL, okay if we are just being silly, how about Brad Childress? Look what he did for the Viqueens! ( I hope everyone understands this is a joke)
Well, Childress did put the clamps down on Favre calling audibles and he had his best season. When Favre broke from the program and started calling "rocket ball, on 2" Childress was going to bench him until his assistants talked him out of it.

Those in the camp that says Rodgers needs to get with the program and quit changing plays or going playground might like that choice. :confused:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not quite. The extension was offered a year prior. Things change when a guy declines an offer, or when a year has passed, or when Van Pelt was finally presented with a challenge (Hundley) and did not come looking very good.

Look again at the time line I posted. Van Pelt signed as QB coach with the Bengals two days after the Packers signed his replacement. He received no interest in an OC job.
Yeah, I saw the timeline. Doesn't change what I said. Van Pelt had declined his extension and expected to find work as an OC. Maybe McCarthy also expected him to find work as an OC. After all, he was QB coach to who many considered the best in the league. Maybe McCarthy offered the job to his buddy, assuming Van Pelt would find employment (which he did, although not getting the better position he was looking for).

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol what if they actually hire Joe Lombardi. That’s a lot of pressure to live up to that’s for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts