Post MM firing -- coaching search: who we want -- ALL threads merged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Have not seen any conversation regarding compensation, but that's how I understood it. I don't think most fans have even given that a thought. Offensive Coordinator Josh McDaniels signed a new 5 year contract with the New England Patriots last year. From what I've read he is one of the favorites for the Packers head coaching job. He could be quite costly. I suspect the vast majority of NFL candidates are under contract. Do the Packers want to give up this years 2 first round draft picks and possible additional picks in coming years for a coach? I suppose if he's the right guy.

This an older article, but I think the rules still apply. I also apologize, I was thinking more along the lines of John Harbaugh (HC under contract with Ravens through 2019). Most everyone here gave you the correct answer.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2009/11/25/1173920/rules-on-hiring-nfl-coaches

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I've not been in on the idea of a defensive coach, but dang Kris Richard is impressive.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get that lousy **** John De Filippo off the HC list right now!!!

Man he ain't nothing but a street bum. Vikings offense is the lousiest dirt **** I ever seen this season, and De Filippo ain't coached up **** EVER.

He's nothing but a stupid street bum who makes MM look like a genius, and I don't want diseased street bums coaching my team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Flip ain't helping himself lately!

Get that lousy **** John De Filippo off the HC list right now!!!

Was thinking the same tonight as I watched the game and the Vikings pathetic offense. Have to smile with what they paid Cousins :)

Really had a hard time watching this game and wanting the Seahawks to win and I admit I smiled a bit when Thielan went down.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are the Seahawks just hitting their stride, or are the Vikings really this bad?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Vikings offense is an overrated dumpster fire, and jdf is a putrid offensive coordinator who has no ability to coach.

He is a big ******* fraud and a phony.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They've got a good defensive unit.

The offense appears to have taken a step backwards with the "addition" of Kirk Cousins. He continues to come up short in big games.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Kirk Cousins. He continues to come up short in big games.
Except of course when he lights the Packers up for 342 yds and 3 TD's in their last game and 425 yds and 4 TD's in their first meeting. :(

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except of course when he lights the Packers up for 342 yds and 3 TD's in their last game and 425 yds and 4 TD's in their first meeting. :(

Cousins has had pretty good games against bad teams. Where he has historically fallen short is late in the season against good teams. Like last night.

He's good enough to keep a team falling just short.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So after being the DB coach during the heyday of the "Legion of Boom," Kris Richard took over as the Hawks' DC in 2015. They allowed 17.3 PPG in 2015, 18.3 PPG in 2016, and 20.3 PPG in 2017. However, in 2015 Seattle was coming off of three straight seasons in which they had the league's top scoring defense. So you have to contextualize it.

2018 finds him in Dallas, his first NFL job away from Pete Carroll. He takes over as the DB's coach, pass game coordinator, and defensive play caller, and the Dallas defense is now playing arguably their best defensive ball of any point under Rod Marinelli.

Defensive coaches are scary propositions. Defense is fickle in today's NFL-- it's not nearly as consistent year to year as offensive success. However, Richard's resume is as impressive (or more) than the offensive options out there. And of course, there are examples of defensive minded coaches having great success (Carroll, Belichick, Rivera, Tomlin, Zimmer...).

Maybe Rodgers would work better with a defensive head coach? Get him an OC he likes and let them handle that side? Or maybe that's stupid. But Richard is impressive.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So after being the DB coach during the heyday of the "Legion of Boom," Kris Richard took over as the Hawks' DC in 2015. They allowed 17.3 PPG in 2015, 18.3 PPG in 2016, and 20.3 PPG in 2017. However, in 2015 Seattle was coming off of three straight seasons in which they had the league's top scoring defense. So you have to contextualize it.

2018 finds him in Dallas, his first NFL job away from Pete Carroll. He takes over as the DB's coach, pass game coordinator, and defensive play caller, and the Dallas defense is now playing arguably their best defensive ball of any point under Rod Marinelli.

Defensive coaches are scary propositions. Defense is fickle in today's NFL-- it's not nearly as consistent year to year as offensive success. However, Richard's resume is as impressive (or more) than the offensive options out there. And of course, there are examples of defensive minded coaches having great success (Carroll, Belichick, Rivera, Tomlin, Zimmer...).

Maybe Rodgers would work better with a defensive head coach? Get him an OC he likes and let them handle that side? Or maybe that's stupid. But Richard is impressive.

Zimmer has had "great success"?

To my knowledge, he has yet to get his team to the Super Bowl.....Perhaps my idea of great success differs from yours.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

This has been my thought for quite awhile. I strongly believe that the new Packer OC might be the more important signing between the 2 coaching positions. Having a HC with less "direct hands on" of Rodgers might be the best approach IMO. Let the new OC and Rodgers establish a good working repertoire and let the HC be free to coach the whole team. At times I think this was McCarthy's downfall, he was so caught up and tied in with what Rodgers and the offense was doing, that he wasn't focused on what was going on with Special Teams or the Defense as well as he should have been.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am pretty sure we had to give a draft pick for Holmgren. btw I am in the NO McDaniels camp.

You are somewhat correct. The 49ers released Holmgren from a restrictive contract clause only after the Packers returned one of two second-round draft picks to resolve a trade dispute involving the Packers trading Tim Harris to the 49'ers without disclosing he was involved in a drug investigation. Not really sure if the Packers HAD to give up the second round to free Holgrem from his OC contract or if the rules have changed since this happened.

Interesting, Holmgren's contract was $2.5 million over five years.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Zimmer has had "great success"?

To my knowledge, he has yet to get his team to the Super Bowl.....Perhaps my idea of great success differs from yours.

The guy has a .600 winning %. We could argue over the adjective, but he's been a success in Minnesota. He's won the division twice with pretty mediocre play at QB.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy has a .600 winning %. We could argue over the adjective, but he's been a success in Minnesota. He's won the division twice with pretty mediocre play at QB.

Okay.

FWIW, there are a few Vikings fans calling for his scalp:

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota...e-Vikings-Head-Coaching-candidates-126201255/

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota.../Contents/Vikings-coaching-clowns--126204182/

I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. I also don't think the Vikings are going to be playing in February anytime soon.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the bright side, could possibly hire Flip to be an OC or QB coach now, rather than HC.

He wasn't great in Minny, but Cousins is very overrated, and outside of Diggs/Thielen, they don't have a lot. Cook is alright, but their OL is awful. Bad OL, overrated expensive QB, it's not a good combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.