Possible wr trade targets?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Recent history doesn't suggest there's not a decent chance of selecting a receiver capable of making an immediate impact at #30.

Last year, seven receivers drafted in the second round or later eclipsed 600 yards. Taking into consideration that this year's draft class at the position is extremely deep I like our chances.

I guess I would have to ask you, when was the last time the Packers had a WR make an impact in their Rookie year? I'm not saying you can't find one with the 30th or 62nd pick, I just don't think you rely on him being a big contributor in his rookie year.

If we were in rebuild mode and we had a decent group of WR's to begin with, I would have no problem sticking to the draft to improve the WR position. However, I think its safe to say, as long as Gute fills some holes, 2020 has some Super Bowl aspirations and if all he adds is a rookie WR to last years group, I say the odds aren't that good of going to a SB.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I would have to ask you, when was the last time the Packers had a WR make an impact in their Rookie year? I'm not saying you can't find one with the 30th or 62nd pick, I just don't think you rely on him being a big contributor in his rookie year.

If we were in rebuild mode and we had a decent group of WR's to begin with, I would have no problem sticking to the draft to improve the WR position. However, I think its safe to say, as long as Gute fills some holes, 2020 has some Super Bowl aspirations and if all he adds is a rookie WR to last years group, I say the odds aren't that good of going to a SB.

I agree whole heartidly. i am a bit tough on Rodgers, but i watched some of his worst throws i have ever seen him throw this past season. If it is due to inexperienced receivers then we must get sa good experienced receiver in FA. We arent getting one of the top 2 receivers, and after judy and lamb nothing is a sure fire bet. 2020 should be SB or bust in our minds after last season. If Rodgers is going to flame out like Eli we should trade him in 2021 and just rebuild.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the concensus among fans and pundits is that Rodgers has lost it. It may be time given the massive holes in the roster at DT, ILB and WR to trade Rodgers for draft picks and start a rebuilding process.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the concensus among fans and pundits is that Rodgers has lost it. It may be time given the massive holes in the roster at DT, ILB and WR to trade Rodgers for draft picks and start a rebuilding process.
you need to get out more if that's the "concensus" LOL

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One other team that might end up being willing to trade talent is Carolina.

New owner, new coach, and potentially a new QB. These are the situations out of which teams are most likely to trade veteran players.

Depending on how they feel about incumbent starter Curtis Samuel, they might be willing to move him in a contract year. I would think that D.J. Moore is much less likely to be moved, as he was the more recent draft pick, and a 1st rounder at that. But I could envision a scenario where they feel that Samuel and Moore are redundant within the offense, having a similar skill set.

Given that they are going to be rebuilding, if they don't think Samuel is part of their future, they might part with him in a contract year for a pick to help in that effort. Samuel is still only 23 years old.

That said, the GM who drafted Samuel, Marty Hurney, is still there and thus the FO might not be in favor of moving on.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you definitively say it was a "MISTAKE" for them not to do "something" when you don't even know what the options were or what they would have cost?

A combination of Allen, Adams, and Lazard wouldn't back safeties off. None of them have the speed to make that type of threat.

The reason why you have to think carefully about acquiring Allen is that while he is certainly a better known commodity than any prospect, he's going to be a lot more expensive for at least four years. The Packers need impact players on rookie deals. They can't just pay everyone.
You make a number of good points. Allen would cost about $14 mil/year, without elite speed. The Packers have limited cap. In a WR-rich draft, I’d rather see them spend big In FA on ILB (Corey Littleton), and look for a #2 WR in the draft. That should be possible even at #30.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Different spin on this question:

How about trade targets at tight end? TE carries arguably the longest transition period from college to pros of any position. Petals loves using multiple tight ends. Graham is getting cut and Lewis is an impending FA. So who might be available?

O.J. Howard, TB: The Bucs spent a first rounder on Howard and paid Brate and then hired a coach who traditionally doesn't use the TE much in the passing game. Howard is a total freak athlete and has skills as both a blocker and receiver. There's immense potential here if he can get into an offense that will take advantage. If they would take a 2nd for him, I would do it for sure.

Cameron Brate, TB: It could be that the Bucs would rather keep their developing 1st rounder and trade their veteran. I'm less interested here, as Brate is really a flex TE and not a Y TE. The Packers would be helped out more by a guy who can fill the latter role. Sternberger and Tonyan both profile as flex tight ends.

Hayden Hurst, BAL: The Ravens love their tight ends, but even they might acknowledge that they have a bit of a log jam at the position. Doyle has been signed long term as their main blocker, while Andrews is clearly the receiving TE of the bunch. Hurst is well-rounded, but plays less than half the snaps as he isn't good enough in either area to play ahead of the other guys in their roles.

David Njoku, CLE: The former 1st rounder has had his progress slowed by injuries, but has flashed at times. He reportedly wants out of Cleveland-- who can blame him? He is a great athlete and came out of Miami with the frame and aptitude for blocking, though I admittedly have no idea how he's progressed in that regard.

OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How about trade targets at tight end? TE carries arguably the longest transition period from college to pros of any position. Petals loves using multiple tight ends. Graham is getting cut and Lewis is an impending FA. So who might be available?

O.J. Howard, TB: The Bucs spent a first rounder on Howard and paid Brate and then hired a coach who traditionally doesn't use the TE much in the passing game. Howard is a total freak athlete and has skills as both a blocker and receiver. There's immense potential here if he can get into an offense that will take advantage. If they would take a 2nd for him, I would do it for sure.

Cameron Brate, TB: It could be that the Bucs would rather keep their developing 1st rounder and trade their veteran. I'm less interested here, as Brate is really a flex TE and not a Y TE. The Packers would be helped out more by a guy who can fill the latter role. Sternberger and Tonyan both profile as flex tight ends.

Hayden Hurst, BAL: The Ravens love their tight ends, but even they might acknowledge that they have a bit of a log jam at the position. Doyle has been signed long term as their main blocker, while Andrews is clearly the receiving TE of the bunch. Hurst is well-rounded, but plays less than half the snaps as he isn't good enough in either area to play ahead of the other guys in their roles.

David Njoku, CLE: The former 1st rounder has had his progress slowed by injuries, but has flashed at times. He reportedly wants out of Cleveland-- who can blame him? He is a great athlete and came out of Miami with the frame and aptitude for blocking, though I admittedly have no idea how he's progressed in that regard.

The lights were coming on for Njoku, but unfortunately, his season was hampered by injuries and I think he had a spat with the coaching staff. Hard to blame him. He didn't play much as a result last year.

The others are all good options, I had actually hoped GB would cut Graham last year and trade for Brate, but got lambasted on here.

Hurst and Howard carry that first round draft capital along with them, so we'd probably have to give up a 2nd to acquire either (if we're lucky). I think I'd rather continue with the players we have than give up a 2nd.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great bit on Jefferson.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/20/prospect-for-the-pack-lsu-wr-justin-jefferson/

As much as I want a quick Tyreek Hill type threat, Jefferson is the safe way to go. His floor is high and his ceiling is probably good No. 1 WR. That at pick 30 is fine. He is pro ready and I think he will have an impact as a rookie.

I am now on the Jefferson airplane. I mean bandwagon. The Jefferson bandwagon.

BTW: article says we can trade back to 30-40 and still get him.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers haven't used an early round pick on a wide receiver while in dire need of an upgrade at the position in ages. It's absolutely realistic to expect a rookie to have a larger impact on next year's team based on the lack of talent on the depth chart.

If Rodgers is going to flame out like Eli we should trade him in 2021 and just rebuild.

The move would result in a total of $31.5 million of dead money counting against the cap in 2021 while saving only $4.8 million of cap space. Not gonna happen.

The Packers can't trade Rodgers at this point as the team would take an additional cap hit of $29.5 million at this point.

Allen would cost about $14 mil/year, without elite speed.

Just for the record, while it's not a huge difference Allen would count $10.75 million towards the cap in 2020.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
absolutely realistic to expect a rookie to have a larger impact

Might just be semantics between us but....

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this. While I think we can be hopeful that a rookie WR can have a larger impact than we have seen from 1st year guys (no matter what round they were picked) in the past, to say that it is "absolutely realistic to expect" sounds too hopeful, creating too much reliance on that happening.

Let me ask you this. Would you be fine with Gute's only move at WR being a 1st or 2nd rd pick selected and nothing else?

D

Deleted member 6794

Let me ask you this. Would you be fine with Gute's only move at WR being a 1st or 2nd rd pick selected and nothing else?

As I have mentioned before I would like Gutekunst to use an early round pick on a wide receiver and use free agency to acquire a pass catching threat at tight end. In my opinion that would significantly improve the receiving corps entering next season.

I wouldn't mind adding a decent slot receiver for a reasonable contract in free agency though.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I would have to ask you, when was the last time the Packers had a WR make an impact in their Rookie year?
I think the last Packers rookie receiver that made somewhat of an impact, I'd say an argument could be made for Cobb. He had a pretty decent rookie year, especially his debut against NO.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Great bit on Jefferson.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/20/prospect-for-the-pack-lsu-wr-justin-jefferson/

As much as I want a quick Tyreek Hill type threat, Jefferson is the safe way to go. His floor is high and his ceiling is probably good No. 1 WR. That at pick 30 is fine. He is pro ready and I think he will have an impact as a rookie.

I am now on the Jefferson airplane. I mean bandwagon. The Jefferson bandwagon.

BTW: article says we can trade back to 30-40 and still get him.

Jefferson is maybe the most overrated receiver in this class.

He's a big slot with ball skills. He isn't a bad route runner, but nor is he a plus route runner. He doesn't create separation consistently, he doesn't beat the press, he doesn't make plays after the catch, and the offense schemed him open more often than not.

With all of the WR talent in this class, I think Jefferson belongs somewhere early on day 3.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Jeff Howe of The Athletic is reporting that the Ravens are open to dealing Hayden Hurst, who wants a bigger role.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jefferson is maybe the most overrated receiver in this class.

He's a big slot with ball skills. He isn't a bad route runner, but nor is he a plus route runner. He doesn't create separation consistently, he doesn't beat the press, he doesn't make plays after the catch, and the offense schemed him open more often than now.

With all of the WR talent in this class, I think Jefferson belongs somewhere early on day 3.
Are you going to hang your hat on that?

He also has top notch body control, very sticky and quick hands, and is one of the best blocking WRs. He has a high football IQ (instinctive) and a hard worker.

He is a better route runner than you give him credit. He has short area quickness, though not fast. He is a powerful and smart runner with good vision who can blast through average tackles.

In short, he just gets the job done. He uses any advantage he can exploit. If we grab him at 30, I will be happy. I would call him a very reliable possession receiver, with some good YAC ability. I will say, he will be one of the top 5 performing WR rookies this next season.

He can work on his upper body strength to help beat the press coverage he will get. He does that, and he will be a star in the NFL.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Are you going to hang your hat on that?

He also has top notch body control, very sticky and quick hands, and is one of the best blocking WRs. He has a high football IQ and a hard worker.

He is a better route runner than you give him credit. He has short area quickness, though not fast. He is a powerful and smart runner with good vision who can blast through average tackles.

In short, he just gets the job done. He uses any advantage he can muster. If we grab him at 30, I will be happy. I would call him a very reliable possession receiver, with some good YAC ability. I will say, he will be one of the top 5 performing WR rookies this next season.

He can work on his upper body strength to help beat the press coverage he will get. He does that, and he will be a star in the NFL.

That's my conclusion after watching 6 or 7 of his games from last year.

I don't think you or I really know anything about his football IQ or work ethic.

I can see flashes of his route acumen, but nothing consistent. He certainly doesn't separate from coverage consistently.

Overall, I see a mediocre NFL athlete whose college offense protected and manufactured for him, who isn't a vertical threat, who isn't a YAC threat, who doesn't separate very well, and who really only worked from the slot where corners couldn't press him. I'm just not very interested.

The balls skills and pride in run blocking are legit, but that's not nearly enough for me to get on board at #30 and I'm not even sure I like him against options that may be there at #62.

OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeff Howe of The Athletic is reporting that the Ravens are open to dealing Hayden Hurst, who wants a bigger role.

We should be all over that, but Hurst carries first-round draft capital. I don't think we'd trade a first for him, or a 2nd, given our needs. Maybe a player and a pick... Jackson and a 4th maybe. I dunno what it would take.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We should be all over that, but Hurst carries first-round draft capital. I don't think we'd trade a first for him, or a 2nd, given our needs. Maybe a player and a pick... Jackson and a 4th maybe. I dunno what it would take.

I would do that. But I'm not trading a day one or two pick for him.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with expecting any draft pick to become our solid #2 in their first year is consistency. They might be fantastic one game and then be gone for three games. AJ Brown and DK Metcalf are prime examples of this from this year... They had monster games and then they would have games in which they were non-existent. We definitely need to draft a WR early with our 1st or 2nd round picks... but we must also grab one of the free agents or trade targets to really help this team out. Finding the correct balance of these two options is required to help us improve over last year.

Would love to see a Keenan Allen trade for the 2nd rounder and say Shinault, Reagor, or Aiyuk first round pick with a Troy Dye or Malik Harrison ILB in the 3rd round.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you need to get out more if that's the "concensus" LOL
posts like that aren’t even worth replying to. Putting aside his statement that the “consensus is that Rodgers is done” He is also apparently living under a rock where the common knowledge that The Packers cannot trade Rodgers for at least 2 years is unavailable to him. I’m not going to address his statement about Rodgers current talent level because it’s not worth the trouble.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The problem with expecting any draft pick to become our solid #2 in their first year is consistency. They might be fantastic one game and then be gone for three games. AJ Brown and DK Metcalf are prime examples of this from this year... They had monster games and then they would have games in which they were non-existent. We definitely need to draft a WR early with our 1st or 2nd round picks... but we must also grab one of the free agents or trade targets to really help this team out. Finding the correct balance of these two options is required to help us improve over last year.

Would love to see a Keenan Allen trade for the 2nd rounder and say Shinault, Reagor, or Aiyuk first round pick with a Troy Dye or Malik Harrison ILB in the 3rd round.

We should be thinking less in terms of #1, #2, #3 and more in terms of role within an offense.

The offense lacks yards after catch skill and, to a lesser extent, 3rd down conversion targets.

They should be targeting those skills.

Members online

Latest posts