Possible wr trade targets?

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread about this as I recently read an article that had predicted that the Packers would trade for Keenan Allen. I think they put up a 2nd round pick for him. Reasonable value for a good veteran player on a possibly rebuilding team.

Any other vets out there that could benefit from a change of scenery that we could trade for?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is a proven talent. I would give a 2nd for him. But depends on his contract situation.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread about this as I recently read an article that had predicted that the Packers would trade for Keenan Allen. I think they put up a 2nd round pick for him. Reasonable value for a good veteran player on a possibly rebuilding team.

Any other vets out there that could benefit from a change of scenery that we could trade for?
Hey GnG, how old is Allen?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Allen isn't a bad trade target, but I don't know if I'd trade a 2nd for him in a contract year. Not that it's a crazy idea, but that might be a round high for me, given that he's not on a rookie deal to begin with and would need to be paid even more after this season.

Odell Beckham Jr. is another possible/probably trade candidate, however there are obvious complications there.

OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If AJ green signs with the Bengals again, I wonder if they'd take a 3rd for John Ross.

H

HardRightEdge

I would hate giving up a 2nd w/o a contract. But he would be expensive I think. And we have places we need to address. So it depends.
Allen could be extended, drop the cap hit in 2020, push most of the cap hit out past 2021. The problem is you won't know if you can come to terms on that extension until after he's acquired unless San Diego frees him up to make his own deal. That is uncommon for at least one obvious reason.

I would not pay a second rounder and $12+ mil for a one year rent-a-player.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They're about to trade Dalton. Green was almost traded last year. Could be a sea change for them.

He almost was? Are you sure? And isn't that another way of saying that they didn't?

They are agreeing to trade Dalton as a courtesy to him, but the reality remains that the Bengals organization rarely trades players.

OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He almost was? Are you sure? And isn't that another way of saying that they didn't?

They are agreeing to trade Dalton as a courtesy to him, but the reality remains that the Bengals organization rarely trades players.

I guess there's no way to be sure, but there was plenty of smoke they'd trade Green. Then Sanu went for a 2nd rounder which inflated everyone's value IMO.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I guess there's no way to be sure, but there was plenty of smoke they'd trade Green. Then Sanu went for a 2nd rounder which inflated everyone's value IMO.

I can't prove you're wrong any more than you can prove you're right. I'm just telling you that the Bengals, under the Brown family, have been one of the least likely teams in the NFL to trade their players. It's just not the way they tend to operate. Do with that information whatever you'd like.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're about to draft their new Franchise QB so trying to deal Dalton isn't really a big deal, though they might not find a taker with his 17m salary. He's ok, but I wouldn't pay him 17 million and I wouldn't trade anything for the right to pay him that for 1 year and then have to pay him more or let him walk. They probably want him off their books more than anything.

I don't think Green was almost traded anywhere as I don't think he would have passed a physical to allow any trade to happen.

H

HardRightEdge

They're about to draft their new Franchise QB so trying to deal Dalton isn't really a big deal, though they might not find a taker with his 17m salary. He's ok, but I wouldn't pay him 17 million and I wouldn't trade anything for the right to pay him that for 1 year and then have to pay him more or let him walk. They probably want him off their books more than anything.
Given there's no dead cap in Dalton's contract, the typical resolution to such conundrums is to release the player after attempts to trade him are unsuccessful.

However, you never know what one of 32 teams is willing to do. After Flacco was traded to Denver for a 4th. round pick, they wrote him a $17 mil signing bonus check to defer the cap hit along with a $1.5 mil salary. That's they're all in cost if they cut him. If they keep him for 2020 that's another $20 mil out of pocket.

Would you rather have the version of Flacco going into 2019 or the 2020 version of Dalton? As far as I'm concerned you (or Denver or whoever) could flip a coin. Or better yet, put the coin in your pocket and walk away.

For the record, I could care less what happens to Flacco or Dalton. It's interesting only in understanding examples of how the league chooses to spend its money.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given there's no dead cap in Dalton's contract, the typical resolution to such conundrums is to release the player after attempts to trade him are unsuccessful.

However, you never know what one of 32 teams is willing to do. After Flacco was traded to Denver for a 4th. round pick, they wrote him a $17 mil signing bonus check to defer the cap hit along with a $1.5 mil salary. That's they're all in cost if they cut him. If they keep him for 2020 that's another $20 mil out of pocket.

Would you rather have the version of Flacco going into 2019 or the 2020 version of Dalton? As far as I'm concerned you (or Denver or whoever) could flip a coin. Or better yet, put the coin in your pocket and walk away.

For the record, I could care less what happens to Flacco or Dalton. It's interesting only in understanding examples of how the league chooses to spend its money.

I think Dalton may have something left in the tank. These guys like Peyton Manning, Rivers, Brady, Flacco who are at the end of their storied careers I don't know that I'd ever take a flyer on (obviously it worked out for Denver, but Flacco could have won their too with that defense). Andy Dalton is only 32 though. He's played on some BAD Bengals teams. I can see him latching on somewhere and doing well. Tampa, Colts, Raiders, Dolphins, Bears... He'd probably be an upgrade over who they have.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sadly, if we get a deal done for Keenan Allen in this offseason... I will be disappointed. I was saying that we should have gotten that deal done at the trade deadline. We got to the NFCCG this year and Allen would have helped immediately and possibly could have helped us beating the Niners. We had an opportunity to improve our team like the Niners did with Sanders and decided against it... the front office made a MISTAKE by not doing something.

Allen is going to be 28 this year and is going to be on his last year of his contract. We could have re-signed him at basically a similar to Davante type contract. Imagine a Adams, Allen, & Lazard top 3 WR set??? Jones would be a major benefactor of that... safeties would have to help out the CB's leaving more room for Jones. All 3 of those WR's block well. Giving up a second round pick and possibly a later one to get Allen is a no-brainer... Allen is a star while anyone who is drafted might become a star. You take the known over the possible... Rodgers has 2-4 years left before we start a rebuild around a new QB... get him a star over someone who might be better for the next QB.

OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sadly, if we get a deal done for Keenan Allen in this offseason... I will be disappointed. I was saying that we should have gotten that deal done at the trade deadline. We got to the NFCCG this year and Allen would have helped immediately and possibly could have helped us beating the Niners. We had an opportunity to improve our team like the Niners did with Sanders and decided against it... the front office made a MISTAKE by not doing something.

Allen is going to be 28 this year and is going to be on his last year of his contract. We could have re-signed him at basically a similar to Davante type contract. Imagine a Adams, Allen, & Lazard top 3 WR set??? Jones would be a major benefactor of that... safeties would have to help out the CB's leaving more room for Jones. All 3 of those WR's block well. Giving up a second round pick and possibly a later one to get Allen is a no-brainer... Allen is a star while anyone who is drafted might become a star. You take the known over the possible... Rodgers has 2-4 years left before we start a rebuild around a new QB... get him a star over someone who might be better for the next QB.

While, we'll never really know, but my theory is that the Patriots sending a 2nd for Sanu really F'd the market for teams trying to trade for a WR at the deadline. Who's going to give up a first-rounder at that point?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You make a good case Colorado. Still have to see the cost though. Don't want to give up a 2nd for one year.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

How can you definitively say it was a "MISTAKE" for them not to do "something" when you don't even know what the options were or what they would have cost?

A combination of Allen, Adams, and Lazard wouldn't back safeties off. None of them have the speed to make that type of threat.

The reason why you have to think carefully about acquiring Allen is that while he is certainly a better known commodity than any prospect, he's going to be a lot more expensive for at least four years. The Packers need impact players on rookie deals. They can't just pay everyone.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you definitively say it was a "MISTAKE" for them not to do "something" when you don't even know what the options were or what they would have cost?

A combination of Allen, Adams, and Lazard wouldn't back safeties off. None of them have the speed to make that type of threat.

The reason why you have to think carefully about acquiring Allen is that while he is certainly a better known commodity than any prospect, he's going to be a lot more expensive for at least four years. The Packers need impact players on rookie deals. They can't just pay everyone.

While none of the three have blazing speed... how many #2 DB's can cover Allen... NONE. Adams and Allen are very good route runners, catch almost everything thrown at them, and can get deep. both Adams and Allen would allow the other to go one-on-one unless they had help over the top from a safety. We already started to see Adams unable to be watched by just one DB.

Any extra help provided to stop either Adams or Allen would make it easier for Jones. That offense would be very tough to defend across the board.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While none of the three have blazing speed... how many #2 DB's can cover Allen... NONE. Adams and Allen are very good route runners, catch almost everything thrown at them, and can get deep. both Adams and Allen would allow the other to go one-on-one unless they had help over the top from a safety. We already started to see Adams unable to be watched by just one DB.

Any extra help provided to stop either Adams or Allen would make it easier for Jones. That offense would be very tough to defend across the board.

Well... actually a lot of them can. Don't get me wrong, Allen is good and will win his fair share. But it's not like he gets shadowed by #1 corners. And it's not like he just wins every snap. And when he does, he's not a danger to just run away from the defense, so he doesn't force defenses to play two deep or cover three or quarters all day. He's a possession receiver.

He would make the Packers better, no doubt. I'm not saying otherwise. But it's not like he would make the offense unstoppable.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are both agreeing on him. He is the #1 target for the Chargers and has averaged basically a 100 catches a year for the past 3. He definitely would be a good addition and would make a Allen/Adams the best combo we've had in a while.

If we can get a WR in the first round that was guaranteed to be a helpful WR beyond a low salary.. . I'd be all for it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We are both agreeing on him. He is the #1 target for the Chargers and has averaged basically a 100 catches a year for the past 3. He definitely would be a good addition and would make a Allen/Adams the best combo we've had in a while.

If we can get a WR in the first round that was guaranteed to be a helpful WR beyond a low salary.. . I'd be all for it.

But we can't get anything at any position in the first round that's guaranteed to be helpful. And when you consider the needs on the roster, some of them are going to have to be filled by cheap rookie deals.

Members online

No members online now.