Possible wr trade targets?

D

Deleted member 6794

Last year of his contract... Cap hit 12.6.

FYI Allen would count $10.75 million towards the Packers cap if they acquired him before the start of the offseason workouts.

Andy Dalton is only 32 though. I can see him latching on somewhere and doing well. Tampa, Colts, Raiders, Dolphins, Bears... He'd probably be an upgrade over who they have.

I don't consider Dalton an upgrade over Derek Carr.

We had an opportunity to improve our team like the Niners did with Sanders and decided against it... the front office made a MISTAKE by not doing something.

While Sanders had two really nice games with the Niners he was mostly a non-factor in all of the other ones.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think I'd mind, but I'd love to see them try and do the same thing with Kupp instead.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I've grown bitter to the concept of NOT taking a WR in the first couple rounds...I'll be honest, if you can turn a 3rd or a 2nd into a surefire already successful WR in the league...this draft opens up substantially and could be very justified move given that in mind. With such a deep WR draft...you know the top 64 picks are going to be ate up by that position (and rightfully so), leaving perhaps (no guarantee) a slightly deeper pool of other positions that on a normal WR year would not be present where we pick.

Reaction score
While I've grown bitter to the concept of NOT taking a WR in the first couple rounds...I'll be honest, if you can turn a 3rd or a 2nd into a surefire already successful WR in the league...this draft opens up substantially and could be very justified move given that in mind. With such a deep WR draft...you know the top 64 picks are going to be ate up by that position (and rightfully so), leaving perhaps (no guarantee) a slightly deeper pool of other positions that on a normal WR year would not be present where we pick.
That is exactly why we should be prepared to move up inside day 2 if needed. Even at the expense of packaging a future day 2 selection.
We can gauge from moving up last year from #30 into the #21 (Savage) spot cost us #30, #114, #118. It’s also far less pricey to move around outside a day 1 selection.

GB could consider either moving up some round 2 (say #62 to just inside Chicago’s pick #50) OR
being aggressive and using our #94 selection and packaging to move into a top #75 type area). Obviously we would do that only if we saw a player we had valued as a great fit sliding some.

As an example. If we struggled between 2 equal players at our #62 selection, maybe going after that other selection if he’s still there at #74 etc..
That’s not an area where I feel like we’ll pay dearly, but it could give us an option to grab that LB or WR who we feel should’ve made round 2 etc..

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of people say that a 2nd round pick is too high for Allen. Keep in mind our second round pick is #62 in the draft. You are not going to find a WR of Allen's talent at #62 for 2020. Someone might develop into an Allen like talent there, but not in 2020. This is win now mode, not develop for Rodgers retirement or release mode.

D

Deleted member 6794

The problem being that the Packers won't have that second or third round pick if they trade it away for a veteran wide receiver.

I have seen a lot of people say that a 2nd round pick is too high for Allen. Keep in mind our second round pick is #62 in the draft. You are not going to find a WR of Allen's talent at #62 for 2020. Someone might develop into an Allen like talent there, but not in 2020. This is win now mode, not develop for Rodgers retirement or release mode.

There's no doubt that Allen would be an upgrade this season over any receiver picked at #62 but you have to consider that he would also count an additional $10 million towards the cap in 2020.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem being that the Packers won't have that second or third round pick if they trade it away for a veteran wide receiver.

Of course...but you have to look at it in the fashion of you picked "insert FA receiver" in that round instead of a rookie. It may be worth that, it may not. While depending on who it is I'm not entirely against it, I also think Gute could be eyeing that 2nd or 3rd round with some trading more than spending draft equity on a free agent.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There's no doubt that Allen would be an upgrade this season over any receiver picked at #62 but you have to consider that he would also count an additional $10 million towards the cap in 2020.

If we are not in win now mode in 2020, we might as well be drafting a QB in the first two rounds. Rodgers is declining. We have to pay both Jones and Williams in the next two years. If a bona fide #2 WR is our biggest need outside of ILB, than $10 million for that WR is not much. The market price for Randall Cobb is $7-$8 million a year right now, and we didn't deem him necessary last year. $10 million for Allen would be a steal compared to the market price of the UFA's out their right now. We either go all in right now, or trade off Rodgers and enter into rebuild mode right now. You can't play it both ways with an aging quarter back like Rodgers.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Weren't Jordy and Adams 2nd round picks? Seeing how deep this WR draft class is we should be able to get a good one in the 2nd or even 3rd round this time.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Weren't Jordy and Adams 2nd round picks? Seeing how deep this WR draft class is we should be able to get a good one in the 2nd or even 3rd round this time.

My statement is not proclaiming a stance, merely expressing a thought which has circulated that isn't illogical. I do sense Gute and his desire to win now, could see this DEEP WR class as a great excuse to double dip in the 2nd round with some trades.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If we are not in win now mode in 2020, we might as well be drafting a QB in the first two rounds. Rodgers is declining. We have to pay both Jones and Williams in the next two years. If a bona fide #2 WR is our biggest need outside of ILB, than $10 million for that WR is not much. The market price for Randall Cobb is $7-$8 million a year right now, and we didn't deem him necessary last year. $10 million for Allen would be a steal compared to the market price of the UFA's out their right now. We either go all in right now, or trade off Rodgers and enter into rebuild mode right now. You can't play it both ways with an aging quarter back like Rodgers.

The Packers are certainly in win now mode, but that doesn't mean they need to spend a big chunk of their limited cap space on an aging, mediocre WR.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are certainly in win now mode, but that doesn't mean they need to spend a big chunk of their limited cap space on an aging, mediocre WR.

If Allen is an aging, mediocre WR... then we better be looking out for an Adams replacement. Allen is 8 months older... yet has caught more passes than Adams over the past 3 years. Adams and Allen are both top 10 WR's.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Allen is an aging, mediocre WR... then we better be looking out for an Adams replacement. Allen is 8 months older... yet has caught more passes than Adams over the past 3 years. Adams and Allen are both top 10 WR's.
Difference being that Adams is heading into the 3rd of a 4 year extension. The investment was made 2 years ago and as he ages, if there are injury or slow down concerns there is light at the end of the tunnel and could actually be cut to save cap. Much of the money has been paid and he's still under contract for 2 more seasons. We dont' have to give anything to get him, he's already here.

Allen right now would be give up a higher draft pick for the right to pay him almost 11 million depending when his roster bonus is due or workout or whatever it is in addition to his 10.5M salary and then either let him walk or make a significant investment in him to keep him next year. I would not be inclined to Invest heavily in a WR approaching 30. If Allen was under contract for 2-3 more seasons? i'd be much more open to trade. But he's not. I don't think it's worth it.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can agree on the money being a tough indicator on whether we should or shouldn't... The tough thing unfortunately is outside of getting lucky with one of the top 6 WR's falling to us... we will struggle to get that WR up to speed this year and maybe into next. It all depends on how long does the front office believe ARod has before needing to rebuild. We have spaces to fill along multiple positions, but outside of ILB ... there is little opposition to getting that #2 WR to help out ARod, Adams, and Jones/Williams. Maybe it is Allen, maybe it isn't... but we all know they need to find that SOMEONE. Now the question becomes who is the answer.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I was referring to Cobb. That was obviously not clear on my part, as his post mentioned both Cobb and Allen.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe the Chargers will settle for a 3rd? Of course almost everyone else has a better 3rd than us.

OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you $10 million is too much for Cobb. $7 million I would be comfortable with but not much more than that.

I really can't see Gute going after a guy he didn't want to keep last year. Obviously price factored in, but so too did his production here. iHe couldn't play well when injured, and he was injured a lot. t's almost the same argument people had after Jordy had a somewhat productive year with the Raiders. At the end of the day I just don't see Gute changing his mind on moving on. I also see McCarthy making a push to keep him in Dallas, given his familiarity with him. I think we need to go younger or better (trade for Allen, hail mary and forego the cap with Cooper, maybe make a push for Perriman and hope he continues to grow as a player, etc.)...

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really can't see Gute going after a guy he didn't want to keep last year. Obviously price factored in, but so too did his production here. iHe couldn't play well when injured, and he was injured a lot. t's almost the same argument people had after Jordy had a somewhat productive year with the Raiders. At the end of the day I just don't see Gute changing his mind on moving on. I also see McCarthy making a push to keep him in Dallas, given his familiarity with him. I think we need to go younger or better (trade for Allen, hail mary and forego the cap with Cooper, maybe make a push for Perriman and hope he continues to grow as a player, etc.)...

I can't argue with your reasoning. I can see McCarthy wanting him to stay in Dallas if they can get a deal done with him. Anderson and Perriman are both good candidates as well. A trade for Allen would be really good for the 2020 season and I personally would rather see that happen than getting Anderson/Perriman/Cobb or signing another expensive TE. Adams/Allen would be a better duo than we have had in a number of years. I just put up Cobb's name due to his familiarity with Rodgers, and Rodgers apparent lack of trust in new receivers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Of course...but you have to look at it in the fashion of you picked "insert FA receiver" in that round instead of a rookie.

I'm not opposed to trading a pick for a veteran wide receiver but you have to consider the cap hit and its implications on other positions as well when thinking about a move like that.

If we are not in win now mode in 2020, we might as well be drafting a QB in the first two rounds. Rodgers is declining. We have to pay both Jones and Williams in the next two years. If a bona fide #2 WR is our biggest need outside of ILB, than $10 million for that WR is not much. $10 million for Allen would be a steal compared to the market price of the UFA's out their right now. We either go all in right now, or trade off Rodgers and enter into rebuild mode right now. You can't play it both ways with an aging quarter back like Rodgers.

I agree that the Packers are in a win mode now but I'm not convinced trading for a veteran wide receiver making more than $10 million next season is the best way to make sure the team will improve this offseason, especially considering the draft class is extremely deep at the position.

There's no need to pay Jones and Williams a significant amount of money to re-sign both of them.

Once again, the Packers can't afford to trade Rodgers at this point considering the way his contract is structured.

The tough thing unfortunately is outside of getting lucky with one of the top 6 WR's falling to us... we will struggle to get that WR up to speed this year and maybe into next.

Gutekunst just has to select the right receiver in the draft this year. There were four rookies who eclipsed 800 yards in 2019 and this class is considered to be way deeper than last year.

I agree with you $10 million is too much for Cobb. $7 million I would be comfortable with but not much more than that.

It doesn't make sense to offer Cobb a contract like that.

I think we need to go younger or better (trade for Allen, hail mary and forego the cap with Cooper, maybe make a push for Perriman and hope he continues to grow as a player, etc.)...

I agree with most of your post but the Packers should stay away from Cooper as well.

I just put up Cobb's name due to his familiarity with Rodgers, and Rodgers apparent lack of trust in new receivers.

Rodgers doesn't have any issues throwing to a wide receiver running the correct route, even if there's no familiarity to build upon.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to trading a pick for a veteran wide receiver but you have to consider the cap hit and its implications on other positions as well when thinking about a move like that.

I agree that the Packers are in a win mode now but I'm not convinced trading for a veteran wide receiver making more than $10 million next season is the best way to make sure the team will improve this offseason, especially considering the draft class is extremely deep at the position.

There's no need to pay Jones and Williams a significant amount of money to re-sign both of them.

Once again, the Packers can't afford to trade Rodgers at this point considering the way his contract is structured.

Gutekunst just has to select the right receiver in the draft this year. There were four rookies who eclipsed 800 yards in 2019 and this class is considered to be way deeper than last year.

It doesn't make sense to offer Cobb a contract like that.

I agree with most of your post but the Packers should stay away from Cooper as well.

Rodgers doesn't have any issues throwing to a wide receiver running the correct route, even if there's no familiarity to build upon.

What I take from your posts is that Rodgers is at the top of his game. All of his inerrant posts this past season was solely due to the receivers not being where he was throwing the ball. And even though the receivers are all to blame for Rodgers inaccurant throws this season, no wide receiver is worth paying their market value to get an NFL receiver in free agency. We are going to expect that a rookie wide receiver just knows how to run the correct routes for Rodgers in week 1.

I hate to break it to you this is 2020, not 2014, and Rodgers is not the best QB in the league. Based on his throws and stats last season he isn't a top 7 QB in the NFL. Without our run game and defense, we would have been 9-7 at best. You sound like you are fine to run a bunch of UFA WRs out on the field again this year, and then blame them when they are wide open and Rodgers throws it a foot behind them or a foot into the ground out of their reach and just blame the WRs for our offense stagnating 3/4 of a game.

D

Deleted member 6794

What I take from your posts is that Rodgers is at the top of his game. All of his inerrant posts this past season was solely due to the receivers not being where he was throwing the ball. And even though the receivers are all to blame for Rodgers inaccurant throws this season, no wide receiver is worth paying their market value to get an NFL receiver in free agency. We are going to expect that a rookie wide receiver just knows how to run the correct routes for Rodgers in week 1.

I hate to break it to you this is 2020, not 2014, and Rodgers is not the best QB in the league. Based on his throws and stats last season he isn't a top 7 QB in the NFL. Without our run game and defense, we would have been 9-7 at best. You sound like you are fine to run a bunch of UFA WRs out on the field again this year, and then blame them when they are wide open and Rodgers throws it a foot behind them or a foot into the ground out of their reach and just blame the WRs for our offense stagnating 3/4 of a game.

Rodgers didn't perform at an elite level in 2019 and definitely deserves some criticism for the passing game struggling. The main reason for it was a lack of talented pass catchers though.

Once again, there's no doubt the Packers need to improve the receiving corps this offseason but Gutekunst should try to accomplish that by spending an early rounder on a wide receiver as well as signing a tight end in free agency.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
But we can't get anything at any position in the first round that's guaranteed to be helpful.

This....the part that too many people forget. The Packers, especially from the #30 position, should not rely on instantly fixing holes using this years draft. Is it possible? Sure, but history says its not likely. Especially at a skill position like WR, where there is a definite learning curve. I can see getting more out of a top rookie D-Lineman or SAM ILB.

Further, as much as I would love to have a current top 20 WR lining up with Adams, its a luxury we can't afford. With the glaring needs at other positions, there is no way you can justify paying a FA WR like a top 20 WR. Therefore, the Packers will need to get a bit lucky, either find an older and/or under-performing WR on a cheaper deal and hope he works out. Supplement that with a 1st or 2nd round pick of a WR and I think you see a decent improvement of our current roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

This....the part that too many people forget. The Packers, especially from the #30 position, should not rely on instantly fixing holes using this years draft. Is it possible? Sure, but history says its not likely. Especially at a skill position like WR, where there is a definite learning curve.

Recent history doesn't suggest there's not a decent chance of selecting a receiver capable of making an immediate impact at #30.

Last year, seven receivers drafted in the second round or later eclipsed 600 yards. Taking into consideration that this year's draft class at the position is extremely deep I like our chances.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts