Possible wr trade targets?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should be thinking less in terms of #1, #2, #3 and more in terms of role within an offense.

The offense lacks yards after catch skill and, to a lesser extent, 3rd down conversion targets.

They should be targeting those skills.
Lack of YAC is more on AR. Lack of accuracy causes WR to deviate their route or break their stride. Little deviations from perfect can be big.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Lack of YAC is mostly on AR. Lack of accuracy causes WR to deviate their route or break their stride. Little deviations from perfect can be big.

I completely disagree with this take.

Rodgers is not perfect in his placement, but the YAC problem is almost 100% a personnel problem. Outside of Jones, there isn't a player on the roster who is especially dangerous with the ball in his hands.

OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with expecting any draft pick to become our solid #2 in their first year is consistency. They might be fantastic one game and then be gone for three games. AJ Brown and DK Metcalf are prime examples of this from this year... They had monster games and then they would have games in which they were non-existent. We definitely need to draft a WR early with our 1st or 2nd round picks... but we must also grab one of the free agents or trade targets to really help this team out. Finding the correct balance of these two options is required to help us improve over last year.

Would love to see a Keenan Allen trade for the 2nd rounder and say Shinault, Reagor, or Aiyuk first round pick with a Troy Dye or Malik Harrison ILB in the 3rd round.

Partly them disappearing is likely when they were asked to be the #1. Obviously there's no crystal ball and any injury to Adams would likely thrust a high draft pick into that role, but AJ Brown and Metcalf were both asked to be "the man" at several points this season. Pairing a rookie WR against a #1 CB is asking for trouble.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lack of YAC is more on AR. Lack of accuracy causes WR to deviate their route or break their stride. Little deviations from perfect can be big.

Sorry 100% not on board with such a misguided (IMO) statement. Some YAC can be placed on the QB's accuracy but not the entirety of it. That be like blaming incompletions on receivers entirely....do they play a factor in some of them 100% but you cannot plant that blame on them.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry 100% not on board with such a misguided (IMO) statement. Some YAC can be placed on the QB's accuracy but not the entirety of it. That be like blaming incompletions on receivers entirely....do they play a factor in some of them 100% but you cannot plant that blame on them.
I did say "more" not "entirety". That means of all the issues present, ARs responsibility is the greatest part.

So AR accuracy could be 30% at fault, receivers 25%, coaching 20%, scheme 20% and shoes/field 5% and my statement is valid.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I did say "more" not "entirety". That means of all the issues present, ARs responsibility is the greatest part.

So AR accuracy could be 30% at fault, receivers 25%, coaching 20%, scheme 20% and shoes/field 5% and my statement is valid.

But I would still disagree because I think that this problem is 90+% personnel at WR and TE.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yards after the catch once the catch occurs AR's involvement is nill. I understand the placement of the throw could eliminate or lesson the opportunity of YAC...but once the ball is the receivers hands it is their responsibility.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I completely disagree with this take.

Rodgers is not perfect in his placement, but the YAC problem is almost 100% a personnel problem. Outside of Jones, there isn't a player on the roster who is especially dangerous with the ball in his hands.
Not to mention the fact that if they are not exactly where they should be when the ball is thrown will not simply result in incompletions, but also receivers that are just struggling to catch the ball and not able to catch it cleanly in stride which is how the best yards after catch occur. I’m not saying it’s all on the receivers, Rodgers did struggle at times as well, but improvement in the receivers will definitely help.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yards after the catch once the catch occurs AR's involvement is nill. I understand the placement of the throw could eliminate or lesson the opportunity of YAC...but once the ball is the receivers hands it is their responsibility.
C'mon man!

That's just silly.

If a WR has to dive for a ball, he is at an extreme disadvantage for getting Yards After Catch. If a WR has to slow for the ball the DB can catch up or set up for tackle. If a WR has to jump, he loses maneuverability.

D

Deleted member 6794

as a return man :)

You have to take into consideration that team featured Jennings, Nelson, Finley, Jones and Driver as pass catchers.

I vehemently disagree with that take. Yards after the catch is mostly on the receivers, how else do you explain that AJ Brown led that stat per reception by a wide margin among all WRs with at least 1,000 yards in 2019???

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to take into consideration that team featured Jennings, Nelson, Finley, Jones and Driver as pass catchers.

?
I know, i bring that up all the time. I was specifically responding about the Saints game his rookie year. I don't even know how he did receiving, but I think he set or tied a 100+ yard return for a TD league record. Cobb is one of those receivers, that if not for the people in front of him, would have had a pretty big rookie year for a receiver. Which is why I think all this "rookies won't work well with Rodgers " stuff is just talk. If he's good, I don't see any reason they won't. I think the "Rodgers trust" thing is overblown. I think it's more of a case of young guys not being prepared or being good enough to make a difference than it is Rodgers won't use them because they're young type stuff. But that's me.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I vehemently disagree with that take. Yards after the catch is mostly on the receivers, how else do you explain that AJ Brown led that stat per reception by a wide margin among all WRs with at least 1,000 yards in 2019???
What is your point? What does it matter what AJ Brown did on another team with another QB?

The question is: why did Packer WRs not get much YAC this season?

Are you under the impression the pass has no bearing on the WRs ability to run after the reception?

D

Deleted member 6794

What is your point? What does it matter what AJ Brown did on another team with another QB?

Are you under the impression the pass has no bearing on the WRs ability to run after the reception?

My point being that neither Tannehill nor Mariota is one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the league yet AJ Brown was able to lead the league in average yards after catch because he has the ability to create them on his own.

The Packers didn't get much YAC because their receiving corps struggles in that area regardless of the quarterback.

D

Deleted member 6794

In addition you might reconsider your stance on the Packers receivers not getting a lot of yards after the catch when hearing that they actually finished fifth in the league in average YAC.

Here are the top five from last season:

1. Niners 6.74
2. Titans 6.29
3. Raiders 6.19
4. Chiefs 6.11
5. Packers 5.91

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In addition you might reconsider your stance on the Packers receivers not getting a lot of yards after the catch when hearing that they actually finished fifth in the league in average YAC.

1. Niners 6.74
2. Titans 6.29
3. Raiders 6.19
4. Chiefs 6.11
5. Packers 5.91
Thanks for the info.

And for the record, I was responding to someone saying our receivers were poor YACers.

Reaction score
C'mon man!

That's just silly.

If a WR has to dive for a ball, he is at an extreme disadvantage for getting Yards After Catch. If a WR has to slow for the ball the DB can catch up or set up for tackle. If a WR has to jump, he loses maneuverability.
I apologize upfront. But I gotta chime in here.
75%+ of YAC falls on the receiver. The other
25% range has to do as much with the route tree as it does with ball placement. If you’re trying to kill the clock inside 5 minutes either half etc.. you may even actually not risk YAC. So of that roughly half of that is game plan stuff. We may be talking as little as 5-10%.

Then you have to compare that 5-10% stat against the peer standard. Otherwise how would we know what’s good or bad? Taking that a step further..
I don’t believe that somehow Aaron Rodgers ball placement is so much worse than an average QB as you are arguing. Conversely, one could easily argue he’s better than the “mean” in ball placement. Keep in mind, We’re not arguing “throw always” here, that’s out the window. Actually it negates that stat altogether from his portfolio of critique, which is one of the few areas he does perform at a low standard.

YAC is dramatically more about agility and instincts of a receiver than it is this notion that Aaron Rodgers can’t keep up with his peers in ball placement IMO. It’s not even close.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I apologize upfront. But I gotta chime in here.
75%+ of YAC falls on the receiver. The other
25% range has to do as much with the route tree as it does with ball placement. If you’re trying to kill the clock inside 5 minutes either half etc.. you may even actually not risk YAC. So of that roughly half of that is game plan stuff. We may be talking as little as 5-10%.

Then you have to compare that 5-10% stat against the peer standard. Otherwise how would we know what’s good or bad? Taking that a step further..
I don’t believe that somehow Aaron Rodgers ball placement is so much worse than an average QB as you are arguing. Conversely, one could easily argue he’s better than the “mean” in ball placement. Keep in mind, We’re not arguing “throw always” here, that’s out the window. Actually it negates that stat altogether from his portfolio of critique, which is one of the few areas he does perform at a low standard.

YAC is dramatically more about agility and instincts of a receiver than it is this notion that Aaron Rodgers can’t keep up with his peers in ball placement IMO. It’s not even close.
Congrats! The first intelligent response to actually consider the possibilities. I dont mind other opinions. I dont mind learning a different perspective. I have changed my mind on several issues based on opinions I have read here.

But what sucks is posters here who can't even acknowledge that the accuracy of a QB plays a role in YAC. I mean that is simple common sense. You dont even need to understand much about football to know this. But it is contrary to the axioms of a Packer QB and it cannot even be thought about let alone discussed.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

1. Niners 6.74
2. Titans 6.29
3. Raiders 6.19
4. Chiefs 6.11
5. Packers 5.91

Thanks for the info.

And for the record, I was responding to someone saying our receivers were poor YACers.

They are. They gained a lot based on Petals' offense, but they don't have players who are capable of making defenders miss and ripping off big plays, other than Jones.

Allen Lazard gained 4.1 YAC/Rec
MVS gained 5.9
Geronimo Allison gained 3.7
Davante Adams gained 5.0
Jimmy Graham gained 6.8
Aaron Jones gained 8.8

So outside of Jones, their highest performer here ranked 11th (Graham). If people think that's because Graham is dangerous with the ball in his hands, I don't know what to do for them. It's simply that Petals used him on TE screens frequently.

Our highest ranked WR, MVS, ranked tied for 24th. But this is largely because he's a deep target, whose big plays involve him running a long way after the catch on deep shots. He's not a dangerous YAC player in the traditional sense. He's not a weapon in the screen game.

Adams, our next highest performer, tied for 45th.

If people feel that the Packers don't have a lack of YAC talent, I'd be interested to hear who they view on the roster as dangerous play-makers.

Alternatively, I'd advise you to look deeper into the statistics and consider them in the context of Petals' offense.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is the 4th place los
Congrats! The first intelligent response to actually consider the possibilities. I dont mind other opinions. I dont mind learning a different perspective. I have changed my mind on several issues based on opinions I have read here.

But what sucks is posters here who can't even acknowledge that the accuracy of a QB plays a role in YAC. I mean that is simple common sense. You dont even need to understand much about football to know this. But it is contrary to the axioms of a Packer QB and it cannot even be thought about let alone discussed.

Who said it doesn't play a role? It merely is asinine to place the brunt or majority even of the blame on the QB. I don't care if their Jay Cutler, Brett Favre, Dan Marino or shoot even Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is the 4th place los

Who said it doesn't play a role? It merely is asinine to place the brunt or majority even of the blame on the QB. I don't care if their Jay Cutler, Brett Favre, Dan Marino or shoot even Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite

When a quarterback throws the ball at a players feet and they have to stop, bend over, catch the ball, then turn around to run, the brunt of the blame is on the QB. The lack of YAC this year is on the system, the QB and the receivers not being on the same page, the lack of big YAC type of players on the rosters. It is a combination of all of the above. Jones is the biggest big play threat on the team now. Not Rodgers, not Adams, but Jones. Rodgers and MLF didn't do well to put players in the position for big YAC numbers like MVS and Adams. Hopefully Rodgers and MLF do better this year with getting the offense sorted out. If not, one of them should plan on moving in 2022.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When a quarterback throws the ball at a players feet and they have to stop, bend over, catch the ball, then turn around to run, the brunt of the blame is on the QB. The lack of YAC this year is on the system, the QB and the receivers not being on the same page, the lack of big YAC type of players on the rosters. It is a combination of all of the above. Jones is the biggest big play threat on the team now. Not Rodgers, not Adams, but Jones. Rodgers and MLF didn't do well to put players in the position for big YAC numbers like MVS and Adams. Hopefully Rodgers and MLF do better this year with getting the offense sorted out. If not, one of them should plan on moving in 2022.

Again though, if we were as TERRIBLE in YAC as folks are claiming....we wouldn't have had the 5th best YAC average in the league....

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

It's fair to say that multiple factors go into the lack of big plays after the catch for GB, but undoubtedly the biggest one by far is the personnel at receiver and TE.

For crying out loud, they were throwing screens to Allen Lazard and Jimmy Graham. What do people think is going to happen?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts