1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Play calling dilemma?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by all about da packers, Aug 13, 2007.

1. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of people are saying that the play calling for the 1st string O was below par.

But I think McCarthy was pass heavy early on in an attempt to build some timing between Brett and his WRs.

If, in an attempt to build timing and chemistry, McCarthy chooses to be pass heavy with the first string O during pre-season games, would you mind?

I can't blame him for trying to address his starting QBs concern.

2. Danreb

Danreb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't pay it much mind.

While it is questionable that McCarthy calls himself a coach that prides himself in establishing the run--I WOULD NOT, in anyway, allow my entirely unexperienced backfield even try to run around like chickens against a formidable defense like Pittsburgh's.

Think about it. We have Brandon Jackson and Korey Hall--a converted LB.

This also allowed Jackson to try out a few plays blocking, and the Packers never got sacked. So it's all good.

3. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    True. I think I'm one of the few individuals that wouldn't mind having pass heavy play calling with the first string O during pre-season, because it serves a purpose (reps to improve timing, reps to see our RBs pass block, reps to limit RB injury).

4. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We didn't gameplan for the Steelers. MM wanted to see (at least I hope) some things and decided to call his plays on that basis rather than specifically trying to attack the Steelers' D or even any down and distance situations.

5. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Reading MM's post game interview it sounded like the Steelers were coming up in press coverage early which caused Brett to go with pass in an offense the QB has to recognize and call the play at the line.

I am not sure that MM called all those pass plays from the sidelines but Brett is supposed to read the defense and go run/pass from there. The Steelers were bringing it from the second level in the gaps on a zone blitz type package and that is very hard to run against.

6. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's Pre-season. That's what it's all about - building chemistry for those who will make the team, and of course figuring out who will make the team.

I don't care if we lose the rest of these games. I want to go into regular season as a team.

7. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    preseason, who cares? The Colts were winless in preseason last year.

8. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    True........they are more like glorified practices then anything. I don't get overly happy about a preseason win, or overly down for a loss. In the end, all i want is for the team to gell and no one to get hurt.

9. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I agree with you. I think he wanted to get Brett some work but my problem is this.

We know Favre will be ready. Can you honestly say Favre won't be ready for Philly? No whether he plays a good or bad game, Brett Favre will be ready to go.

We don't know how much work Jackson needs? Jackson needs work with the 1st team offense and quite frankly he didn't get enough of it. Not because of him or the offensive line but because of the play calling. He had 3 carries with them. I would've liked to of seen more especially on 1st down.

10. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Again Porky I think that the plan the Packers employ asks for the QB to diagnose the defense and make the call on the line. It's a run/pass option and while it would be good to get Jackson reps this should not be done at expense of running the play just to run the ball.

They need to run the offense the way it was designed otherwise the whole philosophy or strategy is worthless. It does not look very impressive until they start getting it going. Once they start moving they dicate the pace and get the defense guessing and on it's heels.

Brett went with what he saw which SHOULD BE the play that has the best percentages based on the defense he sees. I don't imagine the run would have worked too great in those situations anyhow.

Besides, BJack is going to get all the work he needs in the pre-season with the first team now that Mo is out. Porky, this is just you and your over-anxious self always wanting to know how things are going to turn out.

Relax pards, it will come.

11. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with others here that McCarthy was just trying to work on the timing between Favre and the receivers, and I also agree that it's just a preseason game and it's no big deal. Still, I have to question the strategy. I think the better way to build timing would be to mix up the plays and maybe actually have some success. It ended up with Favre just looking really irritated on the sidelines, and I bet the rest of the offensive players felt that way too.

12. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The QB's best friend is a solid running attack. I think the Packers were a little concerned about Brandon Jackson's confidence level at the beginning of the game, which factored into the coaches decision to run so many passing plays.
    if you have DD, GJ, Fergie, Jones all in on a play, I'd think you could get one of these open downfeild some. But I guess not.

13. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldnt put a whole lot of stock into what happens for playcalling in the first game of the preseason. Espicially considering Favre is only going to be out there for just over a dozen plays...I'd have him passing every down.

14. starpass

starpass Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Daaa...hey are we forgetting something here? Like maybe we should run "Vanilla" plays during the pre-season. Do we really want to put our play book out there this early? Heck NO!!! We do not show our hand.
    We probably did not even prepare for the Steelers? We just ran some plays on both O and D. We did not game plan. This was to see who are backups were. I liked what I saw. I liked Tony Palmer...who?
    The O lineman from Mizzou...he looks like a keeper...we need the O line to get used to playing together like we did a few years ago...before we lost our two guards...Wahle and Co.