Pick ONE positional weakness for Offense/Defense/ST

D

Deleted member 6794

OK...it depends on who the pass rusher is on that side. So when we are in the playoffs; more than likely he needs to stay on the right side. We really need someone who can handle those good pass rushers in the big games. He should just stay on the right side. I think it would be better to have one good tackle on the right and give help to the guy on the left if he needs it. That would have been better than what we did against tampa. Sometimes Turner got beat very badly. I guess Wagner could have gotten beat very badly also. But we could have given him help and probably done OK on the right side. imho. We should play each game like we were going against the best instead of fooling ourselves that we will be good to go because someone did well against inferior players.

Don't get me wrong, I don't suggest Turner should be considered a starting caliber left tackle. My point is that the Packers possibly could do worse than him being the backup.

I definitely agree he should have received more help in pass protection vs. the Bucs though.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I don't suggest Turner should be considered a starting caliber left tackle. My point is that the Packers possibly could do worse than him being the backup.

I definitely agree he should have received more help in pass protection vs. the Bucs though.
What I am saying is that he should stay on the right side so that we only have one glaring weakness instead of two. I really don't like putting someone someplace against bad competition, he does well, and then we think that we have found a place where he can play only to get eaten up in a big game. Some players are less flexible than they appear. I don't even think Turner is good at right guard. But mess ups there are not so costly. I'd like him to stay at R tackle until and if he shows he is really not that good. Now Jenkins, he is flexible.

D

Deleted member 6794

What I am saying is that he should stay on the right side so that we only have one glaring weakness instead of two. I really don't like putting someone someplace against bad competition, he does well, and then we think that we have found a place where he can play only to get eaten up in a big game. Some players are less flexible than they appear. I don't even think Turner is good at right guard. But mess ups there are not so costly. I'd like him to stay at R tackle until and if he shows he is really not that good. Now Jenkins, he is flexible.

I agree that Turner is definitely better suited to play on the right side. In my opinion he's a decent guard there as well though.

In addition I understand the reasoning behind moving him to left tackle after Bakhtiari's injury as Wagner has basically no experience playing the position.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Turner is definitely better suited to play on the right side. In my opinion he's a decent guard there as well though.

In addition I understand the reasoning behind moving him to left tackle after Bakhtiari's injury as Wagner has basically no experience playing the position.
I understand your reasoning (and the coaches') as well. But we ended up with two weaknesses instead of only one. Probably would have been better to put Jenkins out at L tackle and find a body for guard.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Turner will stay at right tackle. Who else is there right now? Lucas Patrick and Runyan will be the guards next year and Jenkins will move to center. Taking a player away from his pro bowl position would ordinarily be madness but Jenkins has shown he's versatile even though he may not be as good as Lindsley. Until Bakhtiari gets back, LT could be a disaster. Most likely a rookie picked in the middle rounds. The o line will regress without Bakhtiari and Jenkins. The question is how bad could it get? The o line will start next season with one great player, two better than average players in Turner and Patrick and two players who are likely to have their growing pains.

D

Deleted member 6794

I understand your reasoning (and the coaches') as well. But we ended up with two weaknesses instead of only one. Probably would have been better to put Jenkins out at L tackle and find a body for guard.

I understand your reasoning as well but it seems the coaching staff didn't feel comfortable about lining up Wagner at left tackle without any experience at the position to protect Rodgers' blindside.

It's possible moving Jenkins to LT could have worked out better.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RB and RT are the offensive weaknesses heading into the 2021 season.

Jones has hired a Tier 1 agent. He has proven to be exceptional. I think he's gone.

AJ Dillon should be the featured back.

I'm not sold on J. Will, not at anything above $2M/yr, no matter the length of the contract. I don't know anything about the RBs for the upcoming draft, but I a receiving threat out the backfield either WR or RB would complement Dillon.

I think you get this kid a FB (healthy Degura), and AJ Dillon could be a poor man's Derrick Henry.

Drafting a RT in the second round is the way to go. Maybe Jalen Mayfield would be a good fit https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2021JMayfield.php

Defensively...

GB needs to stop playing around and get a LB that can do it all. I like Dylan Moses out of Alabama. A "down" year by his standards could be a blessing for the GB's draft slot. https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2021DMoses.php

Moses could go in the 2nd/3rd round.

Most importantly, GB needs another lock down CB opposite Alexander. Use the 2021 1st round pick on Jaycee Horn https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2021JHorn.php

The upcoming 2021 schedule will be challenging to say the least, and having a stronger secondary is essential with the switch to a 3-4 base defense.

I wouldn't make any changes on Special Teams. I think having an actual offseason with chemistry built during OTA's will make a huge difference.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

The upcoming 2021 schedule will be challenging to say the least, and having a stronger secondary is essential with the switch to a 3-4 base defense.

I wouldn't make any changes on Special Teams. I think having an actual offseason with chemistry built during OTA's will make a huge difference.

I don't know if you made a typo there but the Packers have played a 3-4 base defense ever since Capers was hired as defensive coordinator back in 2009.

The team definitely needs to make changes on special teams, aside of Crosby the unit struggled all season.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s fine. I’m sure 90% of the people on here have your same view. I would bet the house that Gute has something up his sleeve at ILB because running this D without it is like running the Ravens offense with Tom Brady at QB. I fully expect a blockbuster trade/big name signing/aggressive trade up in the first or second to get our guy.
Welcome to the big money ILB’s club Packers fans

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still looking for someone on the D line. Draft? If high enough; a lot of those guys can play pretty well right away. But we need to take care of the O line also.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Turner will stay at right tackle. Who else is there right now? Lucas Patrick and Runyan will be the guards next year and Jenkins will move to center. Taking a player away from his pro bowl position would ordinarily be madness but Jenkins has shown he's versatile even though he may not be as good as Lindsley. Until Bakhtiari gets back, LT could be a disaster. Most likely a rookie picked in the middle rounds. The o line will regress without Bakhtiari and Jenkins. The question is how bad could it get? The o line will start next season with one great player, two better than average players in Turner and Patrick and two players who are likely to have their growing pains.
How quickly things change. Turner and Patrick are gone. I don't get letting Turner go. IMO Patrick was just guy. They need Bakh and Myers back day 1, and I expect Jenkins will be back sooner than later and play RT. Wagner and Runyan can play the G spots. I don't think Jenkins would play C unless Myers gets hurt again. One thing for sure, they have to find some quality depth in the draft, rounds 1 through 3. The Packers have great OL coaching, so I'm confident that unit will be solid, maybe not right out of the gate.

The thing I don't know is who will play RT day one. Anybody have any ideas?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
How quickly things change. Turner and Patrick are gone. I don't get letting Turner go. IMO Patrick was just guy. They need Bakh and Myers back day 1, and I expect Jenkins will be back sooner than later and play RT. Wagner and Runyan can play the G spots. I don't think Jenkins would play C unless Myers gets hurt again. One thing for sure, they have to find some quality depth in the draft, rounds 1 through 3. The Packers have great OL coaching, so I'm confident that unit will be solid, maybe not right out of the gate.

The thing I don't know is who will play RT day one. Anybody have any ideas?
Ricky Wagner hasn't been with the Packers since 2020. As far as who plays RT, could be someone they draft, sign cheap or is currently on the team (Nijman or Van Lanen).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry but anyone who doesn't say CB for defense doesn't pay attention or understand the roster.

Offense: 100% OL. We will be losing our starting Center, most likely cutting our aging RT Wagner and our LT may not be back off injury to start 2021.

Special Teams: we simply need one.

I mean this guys seems crazy intelligent....Stokes/Rasul and SJC drafted too...Myers and Newman...and my I mean his last point is still true sadly :(

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ricky Wagner hasn't been with the Packers since 2020. As far as who plays RT, could be someone they draft, sign cheap or is currently on the team (Nijman or Van Lanen).
My bad on Wagner, thanks Poker. And I forgot about Nijman. From what I saw of him last year, he should be starting.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My bad on Wagner, thanks Poker. And I forgot about Nijman. From what I saw of him last year, he should be starting.

Easy to do on a thread that is more than a year old discussing a roster that is no longer.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No worries, I forget about players too. I actually think the concerns about the OL are a bit unwarranted. I was a lot more worried about them heading into 2021 than I am now. Bahk should be back and hopefully playing solid. Jenkins at some point will return and until he does, I think they find a capable guy for LG out of Runyon, Hanson, rookie or FA. I think Myers more than proved that he is a rock solid C for the future. Newman was a bit up and down at RG last year, but I think he settles in. I really like Yosh last season and think he will become a rock solid RT.

Really, the Packers only lost Turner and Lucas Patrick. Turner is a decent RT, but he had his bad games too. I am fine with Yosh taking over. Sure, Patrick was a decent fill in at multiple positions, but I don't think it is the end of the world to lose him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No worries, I forget about players too. I actually think the concerns about the OL are a bit unwarranted. I was a lot more worried about them heading into 2021 than I am now. Bahk should be back and hopefully playing solid. Jenkins at some point will return and until he does, I think they find a capable guy for LG out of Runyon, Hanson, rookie or FA. I think Myers more than proved that he is a rock solid C for the future. Newman was a bit up and down at RG last year, but I think he settles in. I really like Yosh last season and think he will become a rock solid RT.

Really, the Packers only lost Turner and Lucas Patrick. Turner is a decent RT, but he had his bad games too. I am fine with Yosh taking over. Sure, Patrick was a decent fill in at multiple positions, but I don't think it is the end of the world to lose him.
Agreed, and a nice summary of the OL. Seems from year to year, OL never presents much of a problem, even with injuries. I credit the coaching staff and the scouts who identify the best draft prospects.

I'm more concerned about the iDL - first finding a real playmaker to help Clark and then some depth. That has to be balanced with needs at WR and S. But I've been surprised that the Packers have, for the most part, kept a very good team together. A friend said "Yeah but they lost Z!" - well I love Z and he played well but he was out virtually all of last year.

So I expect them to have a great draft and a great season. They have to work out numbers with Adams, and they will. Now they just need to pull away in December and bring home a Lombardi!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB has always done a good job of constantly churning the lower depths of the OL room either through late round draft, priority UDFA (Yosh) or deeper even (Patrick had no contract offer after his year's draft) or PS castoffs (Menet most recently)

Draft histories lately:

21 - 3 picked
20 - 3 picked
19 - 1 picked
18 - 1 picked (and a LS)
17 - 1 picked
16 - 2 Picked

If I'm a betting man we are looking at another draft with 2 or more picked.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So I expect them to have a great draft and a great season. They have to work out numbers with Adams, and they will. Now they just need to pull away in December and bring home a Lombardi!
I imagine all 32 fan bases have some level of hope that their team will win a Lombardi in 2023. For some, like the Lions fans, that is probably a pipe dream, but you never know. As far as the Packers go, I just like see them heading into a season with a roster that you know should keep them in the conversation. Then you hope for some good luck in games, injuries and anything else that might need to happen to win a SB. I never expect the Packers to win a SB, but if they do, its a huge bonus on what was probably a fun season. I would love to know how much bookies/Vegas make each year on people betting on Super Bowl winners, before even 1 snap is taken in the regular season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If I'm a betting man we are looking at another draft with 2 or more picked.
Agreed and due to that success, I kind of hold my breath through the first 2-3 rounds, not wanting an OL player taken, since we have found some really good ones later in the draft. Yup, I know, Jenkins and Myers were both second round picks, but for every Elton Jenkins or Josh Myers, we seem to get a Jason Spriggs or a Derek Sherrod. For whatever reason, the Packers have had a lot of luck with getting more out of less on the OL and I hope that continues.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed and due to that success, I kind of hold my breath through the first 2-3 rounds, not wanting an OL player taken, since we have found some really good ones later in the draft. Yup, I know, Jenkins and Myers were both second round picks, but for every Elton Jenkins or Josh Myers, we seem to get a Jason Spriggs or a Derek Sherrod. For whatever reason, the Packers have had a lot of luck with getting more out of less on the OL and I hope that continues.

Here's why I'm coming off us selecting a OT this draft unless it is a surefire starter....it is simply the tendency of our approach when we don't need a starter.

We had to have a starter for center, Myers was instantly a no brainer IMO when he was still there. Jenkins followed the failed Lane Taylor and Byron Bell experiment year and was a first year known starter in GB's mind so nabbed him also.

Yosh is the peg that no one expected which makes me think we might be more likely to live off of two or three Day three OL picks rather than one high flight one. I'd go as far as to bet that if we don't pick a OT with our first pick of the draft we will wait till our 5th for one.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Things could change before the draft, but the Packers really need help on the DL, WR and TE. Ignoring those 3 positions in the first 4 rounds would be a mistake IMO. As much as I want a #2 to pair with Davante, I would be fine with the Packers going after the best guy to pair with Clarke on the DL in round 1. That just might give us a pretty formidable defense. Then you find you WR and TE in rounds 2-4.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts