Pick ONE positional weakness for Offense/Defense/ST

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I imagine all 32 fan bases have some level of hope that their team will win a Lombardi in 2023. For some, like the Lions fans, that is probably a pipe dream, but you never know. As far as the Packers go, I just like see them heading into a season with a roster that you know should keep them in the conversation. Then you hope for some good luck in games, injuries and anything else that might need to happen to win a SB. I never expect the Packers to win a SB, but if they do, its a huge bonus on what was probably a fun season. I would love to know how much bookies/Vegas make each year on people betting on Super Bowl winners, before even 1 snap is taken in the regular season.
You make a good point - yeah we haven't seen a SB win since 2011 - but we've been in the hunt and entertained almost every year. Very few fans can say that. And I think you're right to temper expectations about a SB. It's very hard to do, and as Bill Bellichik said - at the end of the year there's one winner and 31 plane crashes.

I expect this team to compete well and keep us entertained and maybe, just maybe, bigger things.

And I think Detroit will be the next big challenge for the Packers in the North. Probably not this year, but they have a great new coach and they'll be picking high in the draft after the Stafford trade. I know the Vikes and Bears have new coaches too, but I don't expect much more from them than what we've seen the last few years. The Vikings can always surprise, but I think Detroit will be competitive starting this year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Things could change before the draft, but the Packers really need help on the DL, WR and TE. Ignoring those 3 positions in the first 4 rounds would be a mistake IMO. As much as I want a #2 to pair with Davante, I would be fine with the Packers going after the best guy to pair with Clarke on the DL in round 1. That just might give us a pretty formidable defense. Then you find you WR and TE in rounds 2-4.
I think you've got the order right. I don't know how the draft is stacked at those positions - I think there are a lot of good WRs coming out. But definitely need a TE that can move the ball. Lewis is coming back and he can do the blocking. GB has more or less solved ILB after a long time. Time to get the TE group straight.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you've got the order right. I don't know how the draft is stacked at those positions - I think there are a lot of good WRs coming out. But definitely need a TE that can move the ball. Lewis is coming back and he can do the blocking. GB has more or less solved ILB after a long time. Time to get the TE group straight.

I'd argue DL is the sparsest with only two clear 1st round guys IMO, with another I also personally grade right at the end (Leal). From there I have three others tops (Travis Jones, Matthew Butler and Phidarian Mathis) that if I pick them I expect them to contribute for sure right out the gate at a decent clip or level year one. My personal TOP three are Jordan Davis, Devonte Wyatt and DeMarvin Leal...the guy many would say needs to hold the 3 spot is my 4th and that is Perrion Winfrey.

The middle rounds have guys that are a coin toss and could give us solid snap counts or honestly waste a year digesting and learning. One of my favorite guys to target come Day 3 early is Thomas Booker from Stanford.

My personal Top 10

1/2 * I cannot decide is Jordan Davis and Devonte Wyatt
3 DeMarvin Leal
4 Perrion Winfrey
5 Matthew Butler
6 Travis Jones
7 Phidarian Mathis
8 Zachary Carter
9 Thomas Booker
10 John Ridgeway

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'd argue DL is the sparsest with only two clear 1st round guys IMO, with another I also personally grade right at the end (Leal). From there I have three others tops (Travis Jones, Matthew Butler and Phidarian Mathis) that if I pick them I expect them to contribute for sure right out the gate at a decent clip or level year one. My personal TOP three are Jordan Davis, Devonte Wyatt and DeMarvin Leal...the guy many would say needs to hold the 3 spot is my 4th and that is Perrion Winfrey.

The middle rounds have guys that are a coin toss and could give us solid snap counts or honestly waste a year digesting and learning. One of my favorite guys to target come Day 3 early is Thomas Booker from Stanford.

My personal Top 10

3 DeMarvin Leal
4 Perrion Winfrey
5 Matthew Butler
6 Travis Jones
7 Phidarian Mathis
8 Zachary Carter
9 Thomas Booker
10 John Ridgeway
I can't tell you how many PFF Mock drafts I have run and end up with CB's, S's, QB's and maybe an offensive lineman rated high enough to grab with that 28th pick. Obviously, that is just PFF's grades and hard to get around it, with their simulator. But it does show that if you go in looking for a DL or WR at 28th, there might not be one there worth the pick. Now I did just do a mock with a "forced trade" with the Texans for their #3 and #37 pick for Davante and our 2nd round pick. Then I traded that #3 to the Browns for their 13th, 44th, 78th and 99th.....wow did I have a good draft! :)

Packers might have to trade up to grab a starting WR or DL or trade back with someone loving one of the CB's, S;s or OL players that is still there at 28.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My personal Top 10

3 DeMarvin Leal
4 Perrion Winfrey
5 Matthew Butler
6 Travis Jones
7 Phidarian Mathis
8 Zachary Carter
9 Thomas Booker
10 John Ridgeway
I'm pretty sure Davis and Wyatt are top 15 guys. They might have a chance at WRs Drake London or Chris Olave. With Campbell resigned, I see no reason to spend a 1st rounder on an ILB when there are so many other needs. And London and Olave are probably gone by 28 as well......

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Davis and Wyatt are top 15 guys. They might have a chance at WRs Drake London or Chris Olave. With Campbell resigned, I see no reason to spend a 1st rounder on an ILB when there are so many other needs. And London and Olave are probably gone by 28 as well......

Perhaps you were meaning to respond and quote another post, because you're agreeing with me on Davis and Wyatt and I didn't discuss any LB?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps you were meaning to respond and quote another post, because you're agreeing with me on Davis and Wyatt and I didn't discuss any LB?
I misunderstood Ty. I thought you were saying Davis and Wyatt were good picks for the Packers at #28 when you were ranking DL guys. My apologies. (The rest of it was just me rambling and not in response to you. Please ignore.......)

But now that they have a #22 pick and an extra 2nd rounder, it wouldn't hurt as much to trade up in the draft and grab Davis or Wyatt. I think they both go between 10 and 15. I'd be fine with that. Or maybe they stand pat and take a WR - Olave should still be there. London will be gone. I see Leal as a very early third round pick, so maybe the Packers grab him late 2nd round? And then address OT in round 3.

Part of the silver lining of the Adams trade is they can probably keep MVS and Tonyan. They still have to do something about getting a #1 WR.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, and a nice summary of the OL. Seems from year to year, OL never presents much of a problem, even with injuries. I credit the coaching staff and the scouts who identify the best draft prospects.
The last two years it has helped us lose the biggest game of the year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last two years it has helped us lose the biggest game of the year.
I won't argue with you. Teams lose as a team and in a loss, usually, every position group could have done just one more thing to get a win. The STs could have prevented the FG and Punt blocks against SF this year. The D (well, Kevin King but Pettine as well) could have had their heads up on a TD pass seconds before the end of the first half in the prior year.

And The OL could have played better games. I still think most of the position groups must be doing ok to win 39 regular season games in three years. The problem has been forgetting all that in the playoffs when it's one and done. THAT must change for a SB win, or a SB appearance. I don't know about you, but those 39 wins meant nothing when they lost to SF in horrible conditions for a warm weather team on the road on a short week.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our Oline is often overrated. Yeah we got by a lot of times with lots of "who is in now" type games. But against the better stuff they got smoked. They look better then they are a lot of times because Lewis is another OT playing TE and Rodgers. For as much as people want to say he holds the ball too much, he also moves well and knows defenses so well, he gives himself time too and makes them look better.

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought WR was an overall weakness BEFORE we lost Davante. So you can guess what I think is a weakness now that he's gone.

Special Teams is a tough one, towards the back end of your draft.. that should be what you're going for. and Gute has failed TREMENDOUSLY in that aspect.

We lost a playoff game because of it

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought WR was an overall weakness BEFORE we lost Davante. So you can guess what I think is a weakness now that he's gone.

Special Teams is a tough one, towards the back end of your draft.. that should be what you're going for. and Gute has failed TREMENDOUSLY in that aspect.

We lost a playoff game because of it
You are right on both counts. The WR group has ben so weak teams could double and triple Adams. Makes what he did all the more amazing.

And yeah you find your gunners, long snappers for STs late in the draft. That hasn't gone so well.

I'm ok with the Adams trade as long as we end up with 3 legitimate starting WRs - a #1, 2 and 3. That's gonna have to involve a trade and a good draft. The draft is strong on WRs.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are right on both counts. The WR group has ben so weak teams could double and triple Adams. Makes what he did all the more amazing.

And yeah you find your gunners, long snappers for STs late in the draft. That hasn't gone so well.

I'm ok with the Adams trade as long as we end up with 3 legitimate starting WRs - a #1, 2 and 3. That's gonna have to involve a trade and a good draft. The draft is strong on WRs.

We must add two guys IMO minimum, Lazard or Cobb can fully come through and I would suspect one of them will as a teams #3...or they may even share it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We must add two guys IMO minimum, Lazard or Cobb can fully come through and I would suspect one of them will as a teams #3...or they may even share it.
I think Lazard works as the #3 receiver. Just not sure about Cobb. And yeah, they need two receivers not currently on the roster.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Talk of MVS getting $10M per is crazy. JuJu just signed for $10.75M

I just watched a highlight video of '21 MVS plays on YouTube. I was stunningly impressed with how many plays MVS made in traffic & highly contested. I was biased against him as a 1-trick pony but I've changed my mind. Think he could be our #2 with 8-10 targets, with a slightly less dominating #1 (Adams) commanding 10-15 targets/game. $10mil/yr is average #2 money, so a 4/$40mil back loaded deal would get him back in GB.

Last edited:

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

I actually think the concerns about the OL are a bit unwarranted. I was a lot more worried about them heading into 2021 than I am now. Bahk should be back and hopefully playing solid. Jenkins at some point will return and until he does, I think they find a capable guy for LG out of Runyon, Hanson, rookie or FA. I think Myers more than proved that he is a rock solid C for the future. Newman was a bit up and down at RG last year, but I think he settles in. I really like Yosh last season and think he will become a rock solid RT.

Really, the Packers only lost Turner and Lucas Patrick. Turner is a decent RT, but he had his bad games too. I am fine with Yosh taking over. Sure, Patrick was a decent fill in at multiple positions, but I don't think it is the end of the world to lose him.

In my opinion the Packers need a backup plan at right tackle aside of Nijman and some quality depth at guard as long as Jenkins won't be able to play.

There's no doubt that wide receiver is by far the position in most dire need of an upgrade.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In my opinion the Packers need a backup plan at right tackle aside of Nijman and some quality depth at guard as long as Jenkins won't be able to play.

There's no doubt that wide receiver is by far the position in most dire need of an upgrade.
I think what they do on the OL will depend on when Jenkins is expected to return and just where some of the younger guys are in the way of development. Seems like some of these guys go from the PS to the starting lineup pretty fast. I really am not worried about the OL and I hope they don't spend any of their first 5 picks on it.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what they do on the OL will depend on when Jenkins is expected to return and just where some of the younger guys are in the way of development. Seems like some of these guys go from the PS to the starting lineup pretty fast. I really am not worried about the OL and I hope they don't spend any of their first 5 picks on it.
My fear is that the Stenavich loss will harm the OL development curve that we've grown accustomed to. Have a feeling the low-round to first or 2nd year starter was the handiwork of Stenavich and not necessarily of Gute uncovering late-round gems?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My fear is that the Stenavich loss will harm the OL development curve that we've grown accustomed to. Have a feeling the low-round to first or 2nd year starter was the handiwork of Stenavich and not necessarily of Gute uncovering late-round gems?
I'd be more concerned if Stenavich took a job elsewhere, but being promoted to OC for the Packers just means he will have more control over those lineman. ;)

I think the new OL coach, Luke Butkus has had enough time under Stenavich, as well as in his profession, I don't think we will notice much difference.

I was more worried when Campen left after the 2018 season. Funny thing is, Campen will be with his 4th team (Panthers) this season since leaving GB.