Pick ONE positional weakness for Offense/Defense/ST

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what do you all think they are.... obviously hard to say bc FA and the Draft is coming up

But, let's just pretend/assume everyone we currently have (including expiring contracts)

***Only pick ONE position that is an obvious weakness and should be addressed***

Offense:
WR - we need a LEGIT number 2 opposition Davante... Justin Jefferson may have been our pick last year if MN hadn't gotten him...and the close Fuller trade showed they are aware of it. I think Lazard and MVS are excellent depth type guys, but moreso WR3 type guys

Defense:
ILB - still a lot of question marks. Young players with promise, but need development. Maybe Joe Barry was also hired with this in mind??? Obviously a CB opposite J'aire would be awesome (but hard to compare since J'aire is easily Top 3 in the NFL) and maybe another DL to pair with Clark... But ILB is most glaring. Perhaps Barry can bring these young guys up???

This has actually been a HUGE weakness for some time as we have ILBers who can pile up tackle stats but can't make plays or cover...hopefully this is covered

ST:
Punter - I liked the JK Scott pick, but we haven't really had a good punter since Masthay or Josh Bidwell.... I mean his inconsistency needs to be addressed. We can argue weather/winds/snow/etc and those are valid points but Crosby has been EXCELLENT and a Top 5-10 kicker in the league for quite some time. I am assuming for PR a mix of Irvin/Tramon/Tavon/rookie/etc should hopefully suffice soon

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense: WR, We can't have guys running routes wrong or dropping passes in big games that showed vs Tampa.

Defense: CB, I know we have Jaire but King via his terrible play in the Championship game highlighted how much damage having a bad #2 CB could do to your defense.

Special Teams: return man, Gunner, Punter we need help everywhere here, but I'll go Gunner we can't be allowing punt return TD's or even just 30 yard returns that are giving the other team great starting field position.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense: WR, We can't have guys running routes wrong or dropping passes in big games that showed vs Tampa.

Defense: CB, I know we have Jaire but King via his terrible play in the Championship game highlighted how much damage having a bad #2 CB could do to your defense.

Special Teams: return man, Gunner, Punter we need help everywhere here, but I'll go Gunner we can't be allowing punt return TD's or even just 30 yard returns that are giving the other team great starting field position.

Good point. CB is number 2 on my list bc you CAN draft a stud CB in the draft (J'aire was a good example) who can make a different right away. And the FA class this year is fairly deep at CB

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm...

On offense I’d probably take an OL before a WR. Preferably an OT that can play inside as well. I think that’s a bigger need.

Defense I think the biggest need is obviously CB. A bad CB impacts the defense much more than a bad ILB. So yeah, CB.

ST’s: A long snapper. We need a better one there. Led to bad kicks, blocked kicks, and the same with the punts.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry but anyone who doesn't say CB for defense doesn't pay attention or understand the roster.

Offense: 100% OL. We will be losing our starting Center, most likely cutting our aging RT Wagner and our LT may not be back off injury to start 2021.

Special Teams: we simply need one.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry but anyone who doesn't say CB for defense doesn't pay attention or understand the roster.

Offense: 100% OL. We will be losing our starting Center, most likely cutting our aging RT Wagner and our LT may not be back off injury to start 2021.

Ok

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No seriously, we are setting needing two starters for package which will most likely lead our snap counts. Not a single other positional group can say this..except maybe OL.

Not just our starting outside CB, but we need a slot CB as well.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CB stud opposite Alexander.

OT - Turner is almost adequate as fill-in LT and a decent RT but need a young guy to be ready when needed at either Tackle spot. Wagner was necessary in 2020 but need much better for a SB run.

St - need a much better return man to shorten the field consistently.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I actually agree with this in the real world.... but you ignored the parameters of the original post however irrelevant it may be.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually agree with this in the real world.... but you ignored the parameters of the original post however irrelevant it may be.

Actually nothing changes with failed assumption Wagner stays, he still shouldn't be planned on and Linsley is not under contract so fits parameter still.

Also CB doesn't change. With perhaps not a UFA, Sullivan still doesn't have a 2021 contract and I'd argue shouldn't.

Hang on did he add the "even expiring contract " part? In what world is that even a relevant discussion?

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually nothing changes with failed assumption Wagner stays, he still shouldn't be planned on and Linsley is not under contract so fits parameter still.

Also CB doesn't change. With perhaps not a UFA, Sullivan still doesn't have a 2021 contract and I'd argue shouldn't.

Hang on did he add the "even expiring contract " part? In what world is that even a relevant discussion?

Ok

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You're a special kind of fool huh?

Hey guys hypothetical, let's say we resign all our expiring contracts, what one free agent should we target in FA...let's ignore reality in that this is nonsense...but...

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Which is why I pointed out that it was actually irrelevant lol.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We would have had to give away the farm to get J. Jefferson in last year's draft. Tee Higgins would have been a nice choice if we stayed at #30. OL is another area of concern. We will in all likelyhood lose Lindsley and we need a RT.

Barry might want us to get an ILB and a corner opposite Alexander. I am hoping we don't overpay King.

Our coverages on ST need to be addressed big time IMO.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, GNG81... Bobby Wagner was a difference-maker in the mid 201_'s, and now D. White and his speed has helped Tampa's D into a nightmare. A fast ILB is a need but unfortunately nobody fits the bill in this draft, so CB, OT & DT should be first 3 picks, IMHO.

In the 2021 draft it doesn't appear that there are any ILB's with better than 4.6 speed, which is what Burks and Kamal Martin have... hopefully both see many more snaps than in '20.

Last edited:

GreenReign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what do you all think they are.... obviously hard to say bc FA and the Draft is coming up

But, let's just pretend/assume everyone we currently have (including expiring contracts)

***Only pick ONE position that is an obvious weakness and should be addressed***

Offense:
WR - we need a LEGIT number 2 opposition Davante... Justin Jefferson may have been our pick last year if MN hadn't gotten him...and the close Fuller trade showed they are aware of it. I think Lazard and MVS are excellent depth type guys, but moreso WR3 type guys

Defense:
ILB - still a lot of question marks. Young players with promise, but need development. Maybe Joe Barry was also hired with this in mind??? Obviously a CB opposite J'aire would be awesome (but hard to compare since J'aire is easily Top 3 in the NFL) and maybe another DL to pair with Clark... But ILB is most glaring. Perhaps Barry can bring these young guys up???

This has actually been a HUGE weakness for some time as we have ILBers who can pile up tackle stats but can't make plays or cover...hopefully this is covered

ST:
Punter - I liked the JK Scott pick, but we haven't really had a good punter since Masthay or Josh Bidwell.... I mean his inconsistency needs to be addressed. We can argue weather/winds/snow/etc and those are valid points but Crosby has been EXCELLENT and a Top 5-10 kicker in the league for quite some time. I am assuming for PR a mix of Irvin/Tramon/Tavon/rookie/etc should hopefully suffice soon

Oh but I didn't think Adams was on "our team" though? You're a joke, I've been lurking around these forums, and seeing you spew out your hate filled garbage infuriates me, and frankly makes us all look bad. So please go away.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned running back as a position to address this offseason with only Dillon as a legit option currently under the contract.

Good point. CB is number 2 on my list bc you CAN draft a stud CB in the draft (J'aire was a good example) who can make a different right away. And the FA class this year is fairly deep at CB

The Packers most likely won't have enough cap space to sign a veteran cornerback in free agency.

We would have had to give away the farm to get J. Jefferson in last year's draft.

The Packers possibly could have moved ahead of the Vikings by adding their third rounder on top of the fourth rounder they traded to move up for Love. That wouldn't have been too much considering the season Jefferson had.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers possibly could have moved ahead of the Vikings by adding their third rounder on top of the fourth rounder they traded to move up for Love. That wouldn't have been too much considering the season Jefferson had.

Yeah but retrospective discussion of what value would have been is something I don't think anyone should do. I mean that's like someone stating trading with the Packers a few years back to pick Aaron Jones by giving up a 1st rounder for him would have been worth it...

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah but retrospective discussion of what value would have been is something I don't think anyone should do. I mean that's like someone stating trading with the Packers a few years back to pick Aaron Jones by giving up a 1st rounder for him would have been worth it...

Not only that, literally every team knew we needed a WR so their price would likely reflect that. We can't use the traditional trading chart when we're trading for a glaring weakness.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only that, literally every team knew we needed a WR so their price would likely reflect that. We can't use the traditional trading chart when we're trading for a glaring weakness.

A team willing to trade back I'd venture has a set thought of return, they don't care where it comes from nor does it change depending on who calls...will they ask for more upfront of negotiations possible depending - sure, but in the end if a team is willing to come off their spot they know what they want.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll add knowing team needs may cause a team to be proactive in calling a team about a trade as well....say we are sitting at 29 and the 28th pick is on the clock this year....the Colts didn't get a FA QB nor did they draft a QB with their first rounder....Mac Jones is sitting there still...call see if they want that 5th year option and a chance Jones is a NFL caliber QB...

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I just can't imagine the Vikes would make this deal knowing it would fill a glaring weakness on a divisional rival.

Members online

Latest posts