Pick ONE positional weakness for Offense/Defense/ST

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to pick OT. Just because tampa bay showed both against us and KC that if you don't have people to stop really good pass rushers; you are in big trouble. Wagner cannot get it done against the best pass rushers. Turner could probably have done a better job than he did if he were on the R side. So we get Bak back. But we still need a young guy to grow and possibly take over if needed in the playoffs. Then D, D, and more D.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just can't imagine the Vikes would make this deal knowing it would fill a glaring weakness on a divisional rival.

When we didn't trade ahead of Minny the writing was on the wall. I think Gute gambled that one would fall to us, and he lost.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned running back as a position to address this offseason with only Dillon as a legit option currently under the contract.

I think they're probably looking at what offers trickle in for Aaron Jones, which will price him out of GB. I'm assuming it's going to be AJ Dillon, Jamaal Williams and (mid round draft pick, unless Ervin is back).

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we didn't trade ahead of Minny the writing was on the wall. I think Gute gambled that one would fall to us, and he lost.

I think they're probably looking at what offers trickle in for Aaron Jones, which will price him out of GB. I'm assuming it's going to be AJ Dillon, Jamaal Williams and (mid round draft pick, unless Ervin is back).
The Packers are not going to get any offers for Aaron Jones... He is no longer under contract. It’s possible that they are still trying to negotiate with his agent... but at this point, I kind of doubt it.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are not going to get any offers for Aaron Jones... He is no longer under contract. It’s possible that they are still trying to negotiate with his agent... but at this point, I kind of doubt it.

I'm talking about offers that Aaron Jones agent will be receiving, not the Packers. I'd assume they'll be able to match any offers that trickle in (should they want to).

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what do you all think they are.... obviously hard to say bc FA and the Draft is coming up

But, let's just pretend/assume everyone we currently have (including expiring contracts)

***Only pick ONE position that is an obvious weakness and should be addressed***

Offense:
WR - we need a LEGIT number 2 opposition Davante... Justin Jefferson may have been our pick last year if MN hadn't gotten him...and the close Fuller trade showed they are aware of it. I think Lazard and MVS are excellent depth type guys, but moreso WR3 type guys

Defense:
ILB - still a lot of question marks. Young players with promise, but need development. Maybe Joe Barry was also hired with this in mind??? Obviously a CB opposite J'aire would be awesome (but hard to compare since J'aire is easily Top 3 in the NFL) and maybe another DL to pair with Clark... But ILB is most glaring. Perhaps Barry can bring these young guys up???

This has actually been a HUGE weakness for some time as we have ILBers who can pile up tackle stats but can't make plays or cover...hopefully this is covered

ST:
Punter - I liked the JK Scott pick, but we haven't really had a good punter since Masthay or Josh Bidwell.... I mean his inconsistency needs to be addressed. We can argue weather/winds/snow/etc and those are valid points but Crosby has been EXCELLENT and a Top 5-10 kicker in the league for quite some time. I am assuming for PR a mix of Irvin/Tramon/Tavon/rookie/etc should hopefully suffice soon

On offense, it might be running back. With both Jones and Williams possibly not returning, you're down to Dillon. They likely need another one, and will still be hard-pressed to match the productivity of last season.

Defense: Need new corners, and badly. King and Sullivan likely gone, Jackson has been a disappointment. Alexander is solid, potentially great, but overall this is an area of need.

If I ignore expiring contracts, which no GM can do, then I'd say we need a WR and a NT, respectively.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm talking about offers that Aaron Jones agent will be receiving, not the Packers. I'd assume they'll be able to match any offers that trickle in (should they want to).
That would be entirely up to Jones and his agent... The Packers have no rights at all where Jones is concerned. If negotiations with the Packers have failed which is likely.... It is very likely Jones will simply take the best deal he can get... It is possible that they would give the Packers a shot at matching... it’s also very likely that the Packers won’t even be made aware of it.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be entirely up to Jones and his agent... The Packers have no rights at all where Jones is concerned. If negotiations with the Packers have failed which is likely.... It is very likely Jones will simply take the best deal he can get... It is possible that they would give the Packers a shot at matching... it’s also very likely that the Packers won’t even be made aware of it.

Lol, that's pretty doubtful. I'm sure they'll know what Aaron is being offered.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the reported rumors are correct that prior to the season AJ was offered top-5 $ on a new contract (estimated at least $12.5Mil/yr) and he turned it down the Packer-boat has already sailed and he needs to sign the best deal he gets moving forward. Matching a deal might still be possible with J. Williams, however, if still reasonable.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On offense, it might be running back. With both Jones and Williams possibly not returning, you're down to Dillon. They likely need another one, and will still be hard-pressed to match the productivity of last season.

If we lose both Jones and Williams I'm 100% a fan of drafting one, especially before Day 3...I'm not opposed to that even if just Williams comes back.

However, don't sleep on what Patrick Taylor can provide this team. His lisfranc surgery right after combine testing to fix his foot pushed him out of draft, if healthy he 100% would have been drafted - he is a solid back. While I don't expect, nor would want him to be a #2 getting a ton of snaps, Taylor I one hundred percent could see being a dependable #3.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matching a deal might still be possible with J. Williams, however, if still reasonable.

Matching what deal to Williams?

If you are saying the same deal offered Jones - DEAR LORD NO. Williams has not proven to be the same threat or feature back for as many games as Jones...stats don't show it as Williams did a lot of clean up drive carries but he only has about 150 carries less than Jones since they both were drafted - yet his yardage and YPC is far less. Not bad by any stretch of the imagination but not Jones level.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense: Everything to the right of Linsley needs to be traded waived or in some other way sent packing

Defense: Pack something. We literally have 3 guys on the D who DON'T need to be replaced

ST: Something about JK Scott just isn't working. It could also be he's great and the coverage or scheme stinks, this one I'm not 100% sure about.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you are saying the same deal offered Jones - DEAR LORD NO. Williams has not proven to be the same threat or feature back for as many games as Jones...stats don't show it as Williams did a lot of clean up drive carries but he only has about 150 carries less than Jones since they both were drafted - yet his yardage and YPC is far less. Not bad by any stretch of the imagination but not Jones level.

If we keep Jamaal Williams its to be a #2 RB. Ya, he'll probably be the starter come week 1 but eventually Dillon becomes the man. Considering how important the run game is to this team, if we don't keep one of Jones or Williams, there is a good chance we draft RB early.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you are saying the same deal offered Jones...
Wow, you took a Matrix-sized leap on this one... I NEVER alluded to paying J. Williams $12.5Mil/yr. The Packers haven't made him an offer, they're letting the market set his price.

What I meant was that once Williams & his agent know what the market will pay they might consider bringing it back for Gute to match.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense: Everything to the right of Linsley needs to be traded waived or in some other way sent packing

Defense: Pack something. We literally have 3 guys on the D who DON'T need to be replaced

ST: Something about JK Scott just isn't working. It could also be he's great and the coverage or scheme stinks, this one I'm not 100% sure about.

3....3.....really. Continue espousing your ignorance. Whom are the only 3 players on defense that can stay?

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah but retrospective discussion of what value would have been is something I don't think anyone should do.

It's impossible to know what it would have actually taken to trade up to the 21st pick. That's why I explicitly mentioned the compensation could have worked according to the draft trade value chart.

I just can't imagine the Vikes would make this deal knowing it would fill a glaring weakness on a divisional rival.

My suggestion was to trade ahead of the Vikings, not with them.

With the NFL currently having a legal tampering period of three days before the actual start of free agency it's entirely possible the agents of players contact the original team to allow them match an offer.

If you truly believe the players on the right side of the offensive line are trash why do you expect another team would be interested in trading for any of them???

The Packers definitely have more talent on defense than you give them credit for.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's impossible to know what it would have actually taken to trade up to the 21st pick. That's why I explicitly mentioned the compensation could have worked according to the draft trade value chart.

My disagreement wasn't with the chart value, but with the argument being formed around the knowledge of what Jefferson did this past season, all unknowns at that point is all I was stating. I'm following your logic though.

D

Deleted member 6794

My disagreement wasn't with the chart value, but with the argument being formed around the knowledge of what Jefferson did this past season, all unknowns at that point is all I was stating. I'm following your logic though.

I understand your point of view, actually you could make the argument with every single draft pick. In hindsight it would have been awesome to land Jefferson though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand your point of view, actually you could make the argument with every single draft pick. In hindsight it would have been awesome to land Jefferson though.

Yup, Jefferson fooled me big time. Arguably is the one prospect I blew grading big time last year. I didn't think he stunk, but I 100% did not feel he was 1st round talent - boy was I wrong.