Peter King mentions in this round table discussion that Cobb will stay in GB

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
people seem to forget it takes 2 sides to make a deal. Just give in to ridiculous demands? pass.

Hey at least well see a nice draft pick out of it ;)

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see a lot of pessimism on here regarding the Packers ability to replace Cobb if he were to leave in free agency. If Cobb is truly seeking a $12 million dollar a year deal, and some team with a ton of cap space (see Oakland or Jacksonville) is willing to give that to him that would be the teams mistake to make.

TT and Ball have a relative price set on their free agents and aren't going to enter a bidling war even if the position on the team behind said player seems to have relatively little depth (see EDS last year). Though I also wouldn't be surprised to see Cobb sign once he's tested the market a bit after free agency negotiations have begun. (See Shields also last year)

As far as replacing Cobb goes I think there's a lack of understanding in this thread. It's one thing to replace Cobb's place on the field, and another to replace his production. IMO Cobb is a great player and it would be tough to replace either of these things without him but the Packers offense would still survive without him.

As an above poster already mentioned, as far as replacing Cobb's slot position on the field Jordy has played there in the past with great success and I could see Abbrederis and possibly even Janis having potential there if no one else is added in the draft or free agency.

As far as replacing his production, I think would pose a slightly bigger problem. Nelson is a great #1 reciever and Adams shows great potential as a #2 but I'm not sure if I or the Packers coaching staff is ready to put him in that position yet. Though it is interesting to note that Cobb made a huge transformation personally going from only 25 catches his rookie year to leading the team with 80 his second year, if Adams could emulate that second year rise. There is also talent in Abbrederis and if another WR were to be added in the off-season I think we would be getting close to a unit as good as the unit was with Cobb last year.

But for right now, it's a wait-and-see game.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, the rumor mill is all over the place.
Started out that Cobb was looking for $9M a year, then I read a while ago he wants $12M a year.
One of the things I really appreciate about Thompson is he doesn't run his mouth; he keeps his cards very close to the vest.
He must be one hell of a poker player.

H

HardRightEdge

If he's asking for $12 mil, he's going well above the Victor Cruz benchmark and nearly into Harvin territory.

$12 mil would make him the 5th. highest paid WR in the league.

http://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver

I wouldn't pay that.

But it's a rumor and a negotiation. We'll just have to see where it leads...which might or might no be to the Draft Talk forum where we have a "Cobb Replacement?" thread. ;)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He´s not inclined to do it as of today but I wonder if he´ll change his mind once the end of Rodgers´ career comes closer.

It's possible, but I doubt he'll change his approach. I think his approach during the Favre/Rodgers transition shows it's unlikely.

Can't expect another Rodgers to fall into his lap but I would think he'll start grooming his next guy within the next 5 years. We'll see if he even stick around long enough, I would think (hopefully) that this is going to be at least 7 or 8 years before we have to worry about a Rodgers retirement.

D

Deleted member 6794

people seem to forget it takes 2 sides to make a deal. Just give in to ridiculous demands? pass.

Hey at least well see a nice draft pick out of it ;)

While a third round compensatory pick is nice it would only be a small consolation for losing the best slot WR in the game.

As far as replacing Cobb goes I think there's a lack of understanding in this thread. It's one thing to replace Cobb's place on the field, and another to replace his production. IMO Cobb is a great player and it would be tough to replace either of these things without him but the Packers offense would still survive without him.

As an above poster already mentioned, as far as replacing Cobb's slot position on the field Jordy has played there in the past with great success and I could see Abbrederis and possibly even Janis having potential there if no one else is added in the draft or free agency.

As far as replacing his production, I think would pose a slightly bigger problem. Nelson is a great #1 reciever and Adams shows great potential as a #2 but I'm not sure if I or the Packers coaching staff is ready to put him in that position yet. Though it is interesting to note that Cobb made a huge transformation personally going from only 25 catches his rookie year to leading the team with 80 his second year, if Adams could emulate that second year rise. There is also talent in Abbrederis and if another WR were to be added in the off-season I think we would be getting close to a unit as good as the unit was with Cobb last year.

But for right now, it's a wait-and-see game.

The Packers offense would for sure still be productive without Cobb but the slot position would have to be addressed in the offseason. While Nelson is capable of playing there he's more valuable playing on the outside. Adams will probably be the #2 outside receiver no matter what.

Abbrederis seems to be the most likely candidate on the roster to replace Cobb in the slot, but there are question marks about him being able to stay healthy. IMO there's no other WR on the roster best suited to play in the slot.

It's possible, but I doubt he'll change his approach. I think his approach during the Favre/Rodgers transition shows it's unlikely.

Can't expect another Rodgers to fall into his lap but I would think he'll start grooming his next guy within the next 5 years. We'll see if he even stick around long enough, I would think (hopefully) that this is going to be at least 7 or 8 years before we have to worry about a Rodgers retirement.

You're correct about Thompson probably not even being the GM anymore for the rest of Rodgers' career.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's pull a Dr. Phil here for a moment while we play the what if game and answer the question. Here's the what if:
What if Randall Cobb gets offered a stupid deal- 7 years, 84 million, 25 million guaranteed. Some GM out there with loads of cap space thinks he's the perfect safety blanket for a developing/young QB and throws the stock exchange at him.

We're not matching that.

SO. Now, as others have opined, the issue isn't slotting someone into his role in the offense- it's finding someone who can offer similar production while playing in that slot.

Here's the job: what presently available free agent receiver could be had to fill a role similar to Cobb's and be reasonably expected to offer us 75%-80% of what he gave us? Propose/justify your option.

If your thought is that a draftable player is the answer, then find the Cobb Replacement thread in the draft forum.

Here's a bargain basement thought:
Harry Douglas just got cut from the Falcons. He's in his thirties, which means the longest we want him around is 2-3 years. He's not a premiere name or talent, but he is used to playing behind bigger names and production in Atlanta with Roddy White and Julio Jones. He'd come affordably, and with the emergence of Lacy as a pass catching back, some of the swing patterns Cobb was good at can go that way. Douglas doesn't need to be automatic for 80 catches and 1200 and 9 TDs. R-Rod is going to get more looks at TE this season, and if Douglas can be a consistent and reliable target, it buys us some time to develop someone for that role that exceeds his talent and production.

He's going to be motivated to play for a contender after getting stuck with Matty Ice and the defense that couldn't stop a thing.

Am I saying he's the perfect solution? Nope. But he might be a feasible option. Just a thought...

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's the job: what presently available free agent receiver could be had to fill a role similar to Cobb's and be reasonably expected to offer us 75%-80% of what he gave us? Propose/justify your option.

If your thought is that a draftable player is the answer, then find the Cobb Replacement thread in the draft forum.

Here's a bargain basement thought:
Harry Douglas just got cut from the Falcons. He's in his thirties, which means the longest we want him around is 2-3 years. He's not a premiere name or talent, but he is used to playing behind bigger names and production in Atlanta with Roddy White and Julio Jones. He'd come affordably, and with the emergence of Lacy as a pass catching back, some of the swing patterns Cobb was good at can go that way. Douglas doesn't need to be automatic for 80 catches and 1200 and 9 TDs. R-Rod is going to get more looks at TE this season, and if Douglas can be a consistent and reliable target, it buys us some time to develop someone for that role that exceeds his talent and production.

He's going to be motivated to play for a contender after getting stuck with Matty Ice and the defense that couldn't stop a thing.

Am I saying he's the perfect solution? Nope. But he might be a feasible option. Just a thought...

Eddie Royal is the only other free agent receiver who has mostly lined up in the slot during his career (assuming Reggie Wayne and Wes Welker are too old to give them a look). The draft features some intriguing options in Phillip Dorsett and Tyler Lockett but none would be able to replace Cobb´s production at least in 2015.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm to the point where I don't really know/care what happens with Cobb. If we end up resigning him then great but I'm now of the opinion that if we don't that money has to be spent elsewhere. It makes absolutely no sense to sit on it.

Would you trade Cobb for a Hartline, Spiller or Vereen and a mid level ILB signing? Because that's what it comes down to IMO.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm to the point where I don't really know/care what happens with Cobb. If we end up resigning him then great but I'm now of the opinion that if we don't that money has to be spent elsewhere. It makes absolutely no sense to sit on it.

Would you trade Cobb for a Hartline, Spiller or Vereen and a mid level ILB signing? Because that's what it comes down to IMO.

I agree. WR is one position that can easily be replaced anyway. Cobb is a good player for us, but hey, if he decides to play elsewhere, adios.

The only thing I'll hate about it if he leaves, is that we drafted and developed him into a good WR. I like to keep those players.

I really hope we keep him. We have cap room to do so.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I agree. WR is one position that can easily be replaced anyway. Cobb is a good player for us, but hey, if he decides to play elsewhere, adios.

I really don´t get a lot of posters thinking it´s no problem to replace Cobb. Aside of the total numbers last season (which were impressive and ranked in the top 11 leaguewide in all major categories) he led all receivers in red zone TD receptions (an area the Packers struggled late in the season) and his ability to get open on plays when Rodgers is forced out of pocket is unmatched.

I agree the Packers shouldn´t pay him $12 million per year but it will be a tough task to replace him adequately if he leaves in free agency.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it will be tough to replace Cobb, but there's only 1 ball and lots of ways to "win" on offense. His relationship with Rodgers and his abilities aren't just plug and play stuff that anybody can do, BUT Rodgers is a very capable QB. We have 2 legitimate receiving targets at WR. We have a very good Running back. I think we have an emerging TE, one that will make the tough catches, but will never blow you away with athletic ability. The ball can flow a lot of different ways and I trust our coaches and QB to design ways to get the ball downfield, Cobb or no Cobb.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abbrederis seems to be the most likely candidate on the roster to replace Cobb in the slot, but there are question marks about him being able to stay healthy. IMO there's no other WR on the roster best suited to play in the slot.

Not to mention if he can even play at this level. That's 2 question marks against him.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best Cobb can expect is to be at Par with Nelson. We need to maintain a parity in team too.

Get a 9m contract with a good chance of SB ring or a 12m contract with a bunch of also-ran's. He really should get his priorities right. Browns, Raiders, Jaguars are all at/near the bottom of their groups and possibly never see a playoff far less a SB in next 3-5 years.

If he goes, he goes. We tried and offered a fair price. I won't fidget much if he chooses to leave. His loss.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams won't replace Cobb as he's not a great fit to play in the slot. If the Packers let Cobb walk away their #3 receiver will either be Boykin (who drastically regressed in 2014), a free agent signing (which is never a sure thing) or someone without any experience in the NFL.

Opponents will be able to shift their coverages towards Nelson and Adams and force the Packers to beat them with their other pass catchers which haven't proven to be capable of doing it.

I never said Adams would be the slot receiver. In fact, in an earlier post, I pointed out that Nelson is actually a very good slot receiver (see his performance when Cobb was injured). People keep acting like Cobb is the only thing that keeps this offense together. Rodgers is a very good QB. Why can't other receivers step up? I see Manning, Brady, Brees, Luck, etc do plenty without two Pro-Bowl receivers, why can't Rodgers do the same?

D

Deleted member 6794

The best Cobb can expect is to be at Par with Nelson. We need to maintain a parity in team too.

I'm not sure about if that's true as Nelson took the safe route by accepting a below market deal with one year remaining on his contract while Cobb took the risk of getting injured in a contract year.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Makes you wonder what Cobb was talking about when he said don't believe everything you see on the internet. Are we not supposed to believe the Packers are willing to let him test free agency which is what seems to have prompted the tweet or are we not supposed to believe he is looking for 9 million.

Sometimes I wish I could just turn all this off and tune in at the end of August and see what we have to go with.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Get a 9m contract with a good chance of SB ring or a 12m contract with a bunch of also-ran's. He really should get his priorities right. Browns, Raiders, Jaguars are all at/near the bottom of their groups and possibly never see a playoff far less a SB in next 3-5 years.

If he goes, he goes. We tried and offered a fair price. I won't fidget much if he chooses to leave. His loss.

Since when is giving away $3m a YEAR (so let's say $12m overall on a four-year deal) in Cobb's first big deal a priority? I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's real easy to give away someone else's money. Cobb will be signing a contract in which most of his money is not guaranteed, a single play could end his earnings potential and he has never signed a big contract before.

D

Deleted member 6794

I never said Adams would be the slot receiver. In fact, in an earlier post, I pointed out that Nelson is actually a very good slot receiver (see his performance when Cobb was injured). People keep acting like Cobb is the only thing that keeps this offense together. Rodgers is a very good QB. Why can't other receivers step up? I see Manning, Brady, Brees, Luck, etc do plenty without two Pro-Bowl receivers, why can't Rodgers do the same?

While Nelson is capable of playing in the slot he's best suited to line up on the outside. Aside of possibly Abbrederis there's no other slot receiver on the roster.

The Packers offense will still be a good one without Cobb but it will take a step backwards. In addition you have to realize that those teams you mentioned above all feature TEs as an elite red zone threat.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will take a small step backwards next year over being in cap hell the next 4-5 years because of a ridiculous contract to Cobb.

I don't think Cobb will ever have as good of a season as he did last year. That was the perfect situation for him to succeed and he did. He had Jordy drawing corner and safety coverage on many plays allowing him soft zones and single coverage. He also had an MVP Qb throwing to him. He was also healthy all year. I just think we saw his ceiling. It was a great ceiling but still not worth 12.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Nelson is capable of playing in the slot he's best suited to line up on the outside. Aside of possibly Abbrederis there's no other slot receiver on the roster.

The Packers offense will still be a good one without Cobb but it will take a step backwards. In addition you have to realize that those teams you mentioned above all feature TEs as an elite red zone threat.

Brady has one highly paid receiving weapon. Brees has only one. Luck has only one. Manning didn't actually have any but DT will soon change that. The common feature is that all great quarterbacks can make mediocre receivers good and good receivers great. Packers have one great receiver in Nelson and Adams looks like he could also be great next year.

Look at the slot receivers in the NFL. There's not many terrific ones. NFL teams don't pay slot receivers highly because they don't have a huge impact. It shouldn't be difficult for a team with Rodgers at QB and Nelson/Adams at receiver to find an average to good slot receiver.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since when is giving away $3m a YEAR (so let's say $12m overall on a four-year deal) in Cobb's first big deal a priority? I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's real easy to give away someone else's money. Cobb will be signing a contract in which most of his money is not guaranteed, a single play could end his earnings potential and he has never signed a big contract before.

If Cobb can get $12M and we're offering $9M, more power to him.

It's ridiculous that we should expect anyone to stay for a hypothetical 25% reduced rate of pay just because we think he should want to play here.

The only financial case I can make for someone wanting to do so is the argument that Cobb will be worth a lot more on the open market in 4 years if he has Aaron Rodgers throwing to him the entire time than if he has Derek Carr.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just going to throw it out there because there's reports he's looking to be traded or cut but Andre Johnson?

I know he doesn't fill the Cobb/slot role but he has put up pretty gaudy numbers over his career with no QB throughout his entire career. At his current salary absolutely no way I want him but if he wants to come and play for a championship contender and one of the best QB's in the league I'd consider looking at him.

That would be a very Peppersesque move for this offseason

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just going to throw it out there because there's reports he's looking to be traded or cut but Andre Johnson?

I know he doesn't fill the Cobb/slot role but he has put up pretty gaudy numbers over his career with no QB throughout his entire career. At his current salary absolutely no way I want him but if he wants to come and play for a championship contender and one of the best QB's in the league I'd consider looking at him.

That would be a very Peppersesque move for this offseason

I guess it would depend on how well they think Adams could produce in the slot, because I think he'd see a lot of snaps there.

Members online

Latest posts