Packers who will make a big leap forward next season

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of the possibilities have been mentioned. This kid Alex Green could be one that steps up with Grant's impending departure. Another guy is Shields who seemed to have a bit of the Sophomore jinks. But Brad Jones??? Seriously?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An example of ego getting in the way of effort is when you think and acts like you're better than you are and that you don't have to work hard to make plays because your natural ability and talent will result in the play being made.

Finley LOVES to flap his gums like he's the best to ever play the position. Unfortunately this year we saw we saw a lot more talking than playmaking. Want to talk and act like a champion? Then BE a champion. Make championship type plays instead of talking about how great you are and then dropping the ******* ball.

I'd be right there with you, if that were actually true. Every thing I've heard from players and coaches is that Finley is one of the hardest workers on the team. His ridiculous amount of untimely drops this season have made me just as crazy as they made you, but to say that he committed those drops because "he thinks he's better than he is and that he doesn't have to work hard to make plays because his natural ability and talent will result in the play being made..." c'mon...

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I'd be right there with you, if that were actually true. Every thing I've heard from players and coaches is that Finley is one of the hardest workers on the team. His ridiculous amount of untimely drops this season have made me just as crazy as they made you, but to say that he committed those drops because "he thinks he's better than he is and that he doesn't have to work hard to make plays because his natural ability and talent will result in the play being made..." c'mon...
Saw him in a Q&A MC'd by Leroy Butler, Clay, Cliftion, Starks and Finley were all there day after opener. He was pretty humble in his answers. I see him making a jump this off season as he matures and I defiantly see him a packer next year. Tight ends like him are the future and he will play big in our O for a long time to come. My bet is he works his butt off this off season to be the player everyone expects him to be. And if he makes that Jump Fear the Pack even more.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of the possibilities have been mentioned. This kid Alex Green could be one that steps up with Grant's impending departure. Another guy is Shields who seemed to have a bit of the Sophomore jinks. But Brad Jones??? Seriously?

Why not Brad Jones? A lot of times the players that have a strong end to a season will breakout the next season. I thought Brad Jones actually played pretty well in our last two games this year. He had 5 tackles and a sack against the Lions, then followed it up with 4 tackles, a sack, and a blocked field goal against the Giants. He's finally healthy so I don't see why he couldn't make the jump next year.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not Brad Jones? A lot of times the players that have a strong end to a season will breakout the next season. I thought Brad Jones actually played pretty well in our last two games this year. He had 5 tackles and a sack against the Lions, then followed it up with 4 tackles, a sack, and a blocked field goal against the Giants. He's finally healthy so I don't see why he couldn't make the jump next year.
Here we go again, someone plays decent for once and suddenly he's going to be special based on that performance. "Why" has been asked about him for three years now. He's had plenty of opportunities and hasn't produced. Many posters on here point to LB as a major need. I agree. I don't think he is the solution and I don't believe the Packers do either. Wait and see if they don't draft an OLB very high.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Even those closest to the Packers players don’t know who will “make a big leap forward” next season.

Last edited:

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here we go again, someone plays decent for once and suddenly he's going to be special based on that performance. "Why" has been asked about him for three years now. He's had plenty of opportunities and hasn't produced. Many posters on here point to LB as a major need. I agree. He isn't the solution.

I'm not saying that he will be special, just that it's wrong to dismiss him as a possible breakout candidate. And I'm not anointing him as the savior of our defense. I consider LB a major need just like you do and I would like to see a good one taken in the first 3 rounds of the draft as long as it's good value.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jack,

I have the same questions about Newhouse. I think he more suited to guard.

So'oto is making a jump from a college DE to LB. Probably wasn't ready. I agree he has a lot of potential.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say Cobb, Alex Green and Sherrod on offense. Green didn't get a lot of chances this year and I think with a full off-season he'll be competing as part of the RB rotation. Sherrod I believe will benefit greatly from an off-season and will compete with Newhouse for the LT spot.

Defense, Shields, Burnett. I think Sam will have a chance to finally get a full offseason with the defense as one of the top CB's. I think it'll do him a world of good, 2010 he was fighting for a roster spot, this year no offseason to speak of, this year, she should do wonders. Morgan Burnett, he needs the this offseason to get his game on par if he plans on being in Green Bay long term, he has another year like this, he wont be back.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Jack,

I have the same questions about Newhouse. I think he more suited to guard.

So'oto is making a jump from a college DE to LB. Probably wasn't ready. I agree he has a lot of potential.
And he was a TE his first two years at BYU. considering he only had two years on the D under his belt he really shows alot of promise.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here we go again, someone plays decent for once and suddenly he's going to be special based on that performance. "Why" has been asked about him for three years now. He's had plenty of opportunities and hasn't produced. Many posters on here point to LB as a major need. I agree. I don't think he is the solution and I don't believe the Packers do either. Wait and see if they don't draft an OLB very high.

I might be wrong, but weren't you hyping Vic So'oto?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Sherrod I believe will benefit greatly from an off-season and will compete with Newhouse for the LT spot.
I agree Sherrod would greatly benefit form an off-season of training and preparation but my guess is his injury will prevent him from taking part in most of it: He’ll be busy rehabbing instead.

I disagree about Burnett, IMO he was one of the better DBs this season – he certainly was more physical than he was during his brief 2010 stint and that was the knock on him. I think he suffered from having to take over Collins’ role as FS: I think Burnett is more suited to SS. Burnett’s a keeper in my book right now – only the spot next to him is in question and I hope that’s settled very positively next month.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crossing fingers for Finley. Hopefully he was humbled a bit this past year and will come back more focused and with more confidence in his hands.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
An example of ego getting in the way of effort is when you think and acts like you're better than you are and that you don't have to work hard to make plays because your natural ability and talent will result in the play being made.

Finley LOVES to flap his gums like he's the best to ever play the position. Unfortunately this year we saw we saw a lot more talking than playmaking. Want to talk and act like a champion? Then BE a champion. Make championship type plays instead of talking about how great you are and then dropping the ******* ball.

When? WHEN did he "flap his gums" that he's the best ever?

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tori Gurley... JUST KIDDING

1) Randall Cobb - With the eventual loss of Donald Driver, the slot position is ripe for Cobb to take. He has the speed and hands to make an impact as a receiver and is versatile enough to carry the ball out of the backfield. He is going to add a whole new dimension to the offense.

2) Brad Jones - Assuming he stays healthy, Jones has the abilitiy to play inside linebacker and outside linebacker. He's strong in the run game, but needs to develop some pass rush moves. Again, this is contingent on him staying healthy.

Touche- that had me chuckling. Pencil in Gurley for a few catches, though.

Cobb is kind of obvious. Let's see whether Jones gets signed.

I'll go with Alex Green, back from IR, emerging as a nifty third down back.

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guy I expect the big jump from: Cobb
Guy that a big jump from would be awesome but not essential: Starks
Guy that will make me breath a sigh of relief if he makes a big jump: Sherrod, Neal
Guy that needs to jump back up to where he used to be and still should be: Matthews
Guy I hope we don't find out if he made a big jump: Harrell
Guy that I don't care if he makes a big jump, I just hope he plays: Collins

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Starks will take a big leap next year and take the starting role over. He got lost after getting injured this year.