Packers vs Seahawks

Reaction score
Green Bay is filled with a bunch of inexperienced players. There was only one game in which the Packers have felt an electric vibe this season, and that was the game against Dallas. We lost that game, horribly.

To be fair, Danreb, against Dallas we were missing Woodson and KGB, two big parts of our team. KGB has been great in his revised role, and you could argue that Woodson has been the best CB in the league this year.

To add to that, we were missing Bubba Franks on offense. Bubba might not be a playmaker, but he is a threat in the red zone, and a pretty good blocker. Having him certainly wouldn't have hurt the Packers, and possibly allowed us to use two-TE formation, something that might have given the Cowboys trouble.

It was also Nick Collins first game back from injury, and you could argue he wasn't firing on all cylinders. We also didn't have Aaron Rouse, as he was out due to injury.

In the Dallas game, I think we had more "communication breakdowns" in the secondary than we've had all season. Those break downs hurt us big time. If I was a betting man, I'd guess that the Packers aren't going to have as many breakdowns again some time soon.

Also, right now you can see K-Rob has gotten his feet under him a little more, making him an even bigger threat in the passing game. Ruvell has also emerged in the passing game.

All in all, I'd be shocked if things went the way of the Dallas game. Not to say that I don't think the Seahawks are a tough opponent, because they are.

The Seahawks gave up 44 points to the Falcons in week 17. Even if the Seahawks pulled all their starters, giving up 44 to probably the worst team talent wise in the league shows that the Seahawks have some problems.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's no forget, we beat the bloody hell out of them in preseason (48-13) most of which was our 1st and 2nd string). Bigby had a huge game as did James Jones. Whoever said K Rob will have a big game I think is right. They'll try to do everything they can to stop Jennings and Driver and our third and fourth receivers will eat them up. I expect a few big plays out of Driver and Jennings too.

Reaction score
mi_keys said:
Let's no forget, we beat the bloody hell out of them in preseason (48-13) most of which was our 1st and 2nd string).

Wow, I completely forgot about that. :-?

To add, Ted was involved with drafting/signing quite a few players currently on the Seahawks roster, so he should have a grasp on some of the weak points of players that might come in handy.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
The Seahawks gave up 44 points to the Falcons in week 17. Even if the Seahawks pulled all their starters, giving up 44 to probably the worst team talent wise in the league shows that the Seahawks have some problems.

Shows they have NO depth on defense, which is good, because the Big 5 and Ryan Grant will make their D tired, and the backups will do NOTHING.

brnt247

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The matchups are going to be the Nickel and Dime backs for each teams vs. the #3 and #4 recievers of the opposing team.

Trufant and Babineaux are two very good corners and should do better vs. Driver and Jennings than most corners we have faced. Jones, KRob, and Lee are the ones we need to be hitting on the deep passes over the seam or down the sidelines. We have to exploit their nickel backs and linebackers through the pass game.

Harris and Woodson should be able to shut down Hackett and Burleson fairly well, but Tramon Williams, Jarrett Bush, and Will Blackmon(if he plays) will be key in stopping Branch and Engram who are two very reliable options. Bigby should also be matched up on one of them when we use blitz packages if they use no TE so he also could be a very big key in the game.

We haven't faced an offense with this many recieving weapons aside from Detroit, and Engram and Branch are better #3's and #4's than Furrey and McDonald. Hasselbeck is also a much smarter and more well rounded QB than Kitna so our D could have their hands full. Hopefully Barnett and Hawk run all over the field and shut their run game down early so they are forced to throw the ball 40+ times. If we can take advantage of mistakes by Hasselbeck and get a good pass rush on him then we should have this game. But if Williams, Bush, and Blackmon can't hold Engram or Branch we could have a rough night.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Alright, after watching some of the clips of the Seahawks and looking at numbers here is what I see comming next weekend.

First our offense vs their defense.. They are fairly stout up front again the run, however they are not very deep, so as long as we stay close we should be able to wear down the interior of their defense giving us a increasing run production as the game wears on. Keary looked like a monster this weekend, however that was against Heier which is a physical tackle but has shown to struggle with upfield pressure, as long as Tauscher is close to 100% we should be able to handle him. Their linebackers however are very quick and rangy.. Peterson is a warrior that looks like he turned back the clock a little pre injury.

I think we can exploit the center of their secondary, especially making Russell move and extend in coverage.. heady player but not especially fast. If we spread them out, I think they will try to stay in nickel with Peterson and Tatupu on the field. I think we handle their pass rush with just 4 rushing Favre. We should be able to put up 24 to 30 points in this game.

Our defense vs their offense.. Their oline play IMO is subpar, especially in the run attack and even with the injuries we have sustained we should be able to rotate yet and keep the running game in check. I think we will see alot of Morris in the running and passing game. Their TE's look to be very average which is a good thing in this game, we should be able to dog them with the linebackers and not roll the safety over to help.

Their recievers minus Branch (nicked up) are possession type with much improved hands vs the normal Seahawk recievers of the last couple years. Engram I think we be a pain in the side all game long and I truly think Hackett will hit us for a couple big catches using his height. I think they will try to get Hackett lineup vs our Nickel and Dime backs, if Branch plays.

In summary, I think this is the worst draw we could have gotten in the second round. I think they matchup the best verus the three possibilities in the field.

However I think we handle this team late in the game and win by about 5. It will be alot closer than people think until sometime in the fourth quarter, as long as we are within a touchdown either way going into the 4th.. we walk away with this game because we will have worn this team down late.

27 - 20 Packers.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Pack93z said:
we walk away with this game because we will have worn this team down late.

We walk away because we're a much better team.

thats my take.

Kinda saying the same thing, they don't have the depth we have.. so overall we are better without a doubt.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle D looked good against the Skins but I liked what TJ Whosyourmamma :lol: said he saw when breaking down the game. Their secondary played a lot of Quarters whiched worked against a poor team lie Washington but TJ said that it left a lot of holes that a veteran like Favre will pick apart. Let's hope he's right

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
u guys remember the seattle game in preseason? ran up the score defensively and KGB was dancin around after the game sayin we were goin to the super bowl? well lets see if his words will be returned this week!!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
u guys remember the seattle game in preseason? ran up the score defensively and KGB was dancin around after the game sayin we were goin to the super bowl? well lets see if his words will be returned this week!!

Hasselbeck and Walter Jones did not play in that game, which made things easier for the Packer defense, but the offense looked great too. That's part of the reason why I think the matchups will be good for the Packers in this game.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries are a part of the game. At that, Woodson is still hurt.

The best things we got going for us right now are Ryan Grant, Greg Jennings, and the fact that Seattle has no game-changing Tight End. The only thing about Seattle that worries me is overall playoff experience. Guys like Kerney, Alexander, and Hasselbeck have plenty of it.

Sure, against Dallas, we didn't lose horribly, but all sorts of big plays happened. In a nutshell, if we don't allow the big play, GB will be fine.

I predict a 34-10, Green Bay win, with 21 of those 34 points coming in the second half.

MVP? Al Harris with two picks.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First our offense vs their defense.. They are fairly stout up front again the run, however they are not very deep, so as long as we stay close we should be able to wear down the interior of their defense giving us a increasing run production as the game wears on. Keary looked like a monster this weekend, however that was again Heier which is a physical tackle but has shown to struggle with upfield pressure, as long as Tauscher is close to 100% we should be able to handle him. Their linebackers however are very quick and rangy.. Peterson is a warrior that looks like he turned back the clock a little pre injury.

Agreed, handling their explosive front 7 will be key, and with some uncertainty at guard, you wonder if we will be able to keep Favre clean.

I think we can exploit the center of their secondary, especially making Russell move and extend in coverage.. heady player but not especially fast. If we spread them out, I think they will try to stay in nickel with Peterson and Tatupu on the field. I think we handle their pass rush with just 4 rushing Favre. We should be able to put up 24 to 30 points in this game.

Yes, spreading out with 4 and the Big 5 and executing will limit the pressure and also expose the weakness of their defense.

Our defense vs their offense.. Their oline play IMO is subpar, especially in the run attack and even with the injuries we have sustained we should be able to rotate yet and keep the running game in check. I think we will see alot of Morris in the running and passing game. Their TE's look to be very average which is a good thing in this game, we should be able to dog them with the linebackers and not roll the safety over to help.

Seattle seems to be much more pass oriented than in previous years, but they do really lack a top TE and our safeties will be free to blitz or help with the WR's.

Their recievers minus Branch (nicked up) are possession type with much improved hands vs the normal Seahawk recievers of the last couple years. Engram I think we be a pain in the side all game long and I truly think Hackett will hit us for a couple big catches using his height. I think they will try to get Hackett lineup vs our Nickel and Dime backs, if Branch plays.

In summary, I think this is the worst draw we could have gotten in the second round. I think they matchup the best verus the three possibilities in the field.

Agree, I would have loved to see either New York or Tampa, in that order before the Seahawks.

However I think we handle this team late in the game and win by about 5. It will be alot closer than people think until sometime in the fourth quarter, as long as we are within a touchdown either way going into the 4th.. we walk away with this game because we will have worn this team down late.

27 - 20 Packers.

I think it will be a tough competitive game, although due to depth and home field I like GB by 4. 28-24.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the weather. That, is a bigger factor than everything mentioned above.

I believe our running O and D, and passing O and D is better than Seattle's, so yes, we do win, however, the conditions will determine how much we win by. A passing weather day = 10+ point victory.

Our key is solid play by our O line and a + in the takeaway column.

Pack93z

Reaction score
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the weather. That, is a bigger factor than everything mentioned above.

I believe our running O and D, and passing O and D is better than Seattle's, so yes, we do win, however, the conditions will determine how much we win by. A passing weather day = 10+ point victory.

Our key is solid play by our O line and a + in the takeaway column.

Well I discounted it a little due to the fact that Seattle is a outdoor based team that has to fight the elements as well. Maybe not as cold, but Seattle isn't Tampa or Dallas.

But I agree with what you are selling, IMO to a lesser degree.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the weather turns, this is an awesome draw for us. Regardless of personnel, it's tough to throw in cold/snow/rain. If it goes that way, we have the edge in the running game. If it's pass-friendly, I can see Matty finding more than a few long hook-ups with his receivers.

SEA DEFENSE:
I watched almost the entire Hawks/Skins game on Saturday, and that defense looked spectacular. I really think people are taking away from Kearney's ability. I've seen him in 3 games now this season, all in Seattle, and his intesity is Ray Lewis-esque. Tausch is gonna have his hands full, for sure. Bubba chipping will probably happen alot.

The other thing is that Seattle was getting pressure on Saturday from everywhere. Peterson's playing lights out this season, and Tatupu is a force in the run game and the pass. His Pro Bowl bid is legit, IMO.

Trufant is the INT leader for a reason. Washington never tried it, but a double move here and there will stop him from jumping routes all day.

I think Brett is a much smarter player than Collins (duh), so I think Seattle stays back and fakes blitzes a considerable amount more than they did against Collins. Mike's knowledge of Brett can't be good for us, either.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Tausch is gonna have his hands full, for sure.

Kearney is a tough matchup for sure, but the Skins left their RT (an undrafted free agent rookie btw) to single block him for most of the game. Tauscher is twice the player that guy was, so I'm not too worried about that matchup. Brett also might have the quickest release in the NFL, which is one of the main reason why he gets hit and/or sacked so infrequently.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

Kearney is a tough matchup for sure, but the Skins left their RT (an undrafted free agent rookie btw) to single block him for most of the game. Tauscher is twice the player that guy was, so I'm not too worried about that matchup. Brett also might have the quickest release in the NFL, which is one of the main reason why he gets hit and/or sacked so infrequently.

If you saw the game, you know that there was pressure, at some point, from almost every member of their front 7, and Kearney was all day.

I think alot of that was due to the home crowd's frenzied noise feeding the Hawks' d-line. In fact I think it was mostly due to that. And the patchwork Skins' o-line.

They are definitely a fast, frenetic defense. But I think HFA was about 40% of that.

They'll get good pressure early and I won't be surprised to see Brett throw an early pick or two. But late in the game, they'll wear down and if it's close, Lord Favre will pick em apart.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
pack_in_black said:

If you saw the game, you know that there was pressure, at some point, from almost every member of their front 7

You know what would stop that? The BIG FIVE.

seriously. let their front 7 come for favre. As long as Favre can take 3 steps back, the slant is there, and you will see a rushing front 7 turn into a rushing front 4, with more DBs to defend the passes. That's when Grant does his damage.

or something. I don't know.

Basically....they can be beat....and we'll see it in 5 days.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
If you saw the game, you know that there was pressure, at some point, from almost every member of their front 7

You know what would stop that? The BIG FIVE.

seriously. let their front 7 come for favre. As long as Favre can take 3 steps back, the slant is there, and you will see a rushing front 7 turn into a rushing front 4, with more DBs to defend the passes. That's when Grant does his damage.

or something. I don't know.

Basically....they can be beat....and we'll see it in 5 days.

LOL, you are the most purely optimistic guy I know in the days leading up to big games. And it's awesome. And you have a great point. I'm just saying this game probably won't be a cakewalk for the Pack.

I'm definitely more pumped for this than I have been for a Packers game in many many years. And I do feel like we'll win. And I do feel like this game is gonna be intense, nerve-wracking, and triumphant.

And I do believe the Giants are gonna smear the Cowgirls on Sunday. :)

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Seattle front seven is good, but I don't think they will be quite the same without the crowd noise giving them a jump on every play. Also, Tauscher is a lot better than the rookie the Skins trotted out there on Saturday--as long as his ankle is okay.

I don't expect to see a lot of the Big Five. Against a team with good pass rushers (as we saw in Dallas), it's too dangerous for Favre, and you end up dinking and dunking because of the limited time to throw the ball. With a healthy Bubba Franks, I expect to see some 2 TE sets and plenty of 3 or 4 wideout sets, but little if any Big Five.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
The Seattle front seven is good, but I don't think they will be quite the same without the crowd noise giving them a jump on every play. Also, Tauscher is a lot better than the rookie the Skins trotted out there on Saturday--as long as his ankle is okay.

I don't expect to see a lot of the Big Five. Against a team with good pass rushers (as we saw in Dallas), it's too dangerous for Favre, and you end up dinking and dunking because of the limited time to throw the ball. With a healthy Bubba Franks, I expect to see some 2 TE sets and plenty of 3 or 4 wideout sets, but little if any Big Five.

Really? I would expect the opposite. I would think that with the active front seven of GB, there would be a lot of the 4 and 5 receiver sets. Favre will be 3 steps and out. I think that GB has looked its best when there are quick 7 yard slants. I can think of two examples where GB has not looked good this year. Dallas and second half of first Chi game. In both, it seems like they got away from the quick slant type of pass attack.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are saying low 20's and 8mph winds. So i don't think the weather will play that much into it.
Having the homefield fans should help us though.
I think we will win........I don't know by how much, and i don't care. As long as we win!

Members online

Latest posts