Packers vs Chiefs Preseason 3: Game Thread

Old Guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think OL and ST is still inconsistent. Amari looks improved so far but must continue to improve. Love is improving.

Reaction score
I realize 20 of these guys won’t be Packers next week, but that was embarrassing on ST. KC ST made us look like it was their 1st team against our 2nd team.

Love looked just ok. Didn’t really do much other than tread water today.

OL #65 had several drive killing penalties.
Our secondary got torched by the KC TE group.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KC looked good to me. Did not like the game a lot. But I wonder how long starters played for them and/or 2nd stringers. Obviously Mahomes and company were not in there. They are gonna be very good again.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn’t see much of the game at all. Very end of first half. Tuned in in time to see a penalty on a FG and then Loves int. Didn’t really catch anything more than bits and pieces in the 2nd half.

SW a nice penalty on the KC TD where Abernathy could have had the pick, it no flag was thrown. Slayton stood out to me again in a handful of plays. Heflin did too but he was completely unblocked on that play. I didn’t see him beat anybody to make it.

Other than that didn’t see much to get excited about.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately I was stuck with the NFLN broadcast so I had to watch the KC feed. Most of the time other than the QB/WR/RB I had no clue who was playing. :(

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately I was stuck with the NFLN broadcast so I had to watch the KC feed. Most of the time other than the QB/WR/RB I had no clue who was playing. :(
Yeah, if you didn't see the Packers on the screen you wouldn't know they were there.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who won? That's all that matters to me. Well that and that Randall Cobb was probably a better college QB than Love.

Reaction score
I didn’t see much of the game at all. Very end of first half. Tuned in in time to see a penalty on a FG and then Loves int. Didn’t really catch anything more than bits and pieces in the 2nd half.

SW a nice penalty on the KC TD where Abernathy could have had the pick, it no flag was thrown. Slayton stood out to me again in a handful of plays. Heflin did too but he was completely unblocked on that play. I didn’t see him beat anybody to make it.

Other than that didn’t see much to get excited about.
Good stuff. Yeah Heflin had like 5 tackles. He had 3 Tackles for zero yards and 1 for a TFL and forced a turnover.

Love actually looked good overall. But that one long INT was bonehead into triple coverage.
Although in his a defense, there was 19 sec left in the half. It appears they weren’t settling for a FG there, Matt wanted all the marbles. If it hadn’t been an expedition game I surmise they would’ve tried 2 passes to get 15 yards and called a TO and tried a FG.

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed we’ve had consecutive games With our Punter or Kicker making tackles?
Doesn’t that just sound odd?
Our ST coverage was very suspect and I would’ve never guessed that

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny how you say he is horrible.but 90 percent say this

Jordan Love is the beneficiary of extremely low expectations this year. I have not seen anything from him that makes me feel like he's going to be a high level starting QB in the NFL. But if the standard is "doesn't look like a chicken with its head cut off," then he has cleared that bar.

Reaction score
So his typical game then.
IDK. His resume is so short it’s hard to say what’s typical yet. He’s played 1/2 game four times (PS)
1/4 game once (PS injury)
1 Start on short notice. (KC)
1/2 game of mop up (Det)

2022 PS I had him graded
Game 1 C+
Game 2 B+
Game 3 B-

Overall he managed ok. I do like that he’s often able to escape pocket pressure with his feet for either short gains or short losses or 1st down scrambled. Love rarely takes a 10+ yard sack running around wild trying to extend plays, like you’ll see some young QB’s do. He successfully uses his size/strength stiff arm to his advantage to extend plays/drives and generally bounces North South in the pocket. Better than average feet imo and seems careful with the ball while scrambling, which is very important.

He’s been pedestrian at finishing drives. He’ll March admirably and methodically down the field and then had trouble finishing. I’ve counted 2 Redzone TD’s out of like 7-8 trips from memory here. It’s like he’s that 2-3 plays per game from that next plateau. It’s frustrating because you see the snippets of ability and fluidity, but he needs to finish better. On the flip side, he seems to have relative command of the array of plays and can operate smoothly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I do like that he’s often able to escape pocket pressure with his feet for either short gains or short losses or 1st down scrambled.

This is not meant as a criticism of Love in particular but actually of quarterback play as a whole.

I don't understand QBs scrambling away from pressure to get out of bounds or tackled for a loss. Just throw the damn ball away in those situations.

Reaction score
This is not meant as a criticism of Love in particular but actually of quarterback play as a whole.

I don't understand QBs scrambling away from pressure to get out of bounds or tackled for a loss. Just throw the damn ball away in those Several times we were backed up inside out 20 or inside the 10 yard line and he was in the pocket. A tipped ball is an easy TD etc.
There are occasions you can throw away. These probably arent one of them. 1 of his 2 sacks he started from his own 5 yard line and was in the paint with pressure.
Maybe on a roll out type play you’ve got open lanes to throw it away, but that never happened.

That said. Had he threw those all away, it would’ve also erased several 1st downs (12 yard run @SF;
11 yard run @Lambeau)
Another would be Sack, we watched Love get out past LOS, but then got caught from behind scrambling to the sideline attempting to make the 1st down marker.

Sacks
Love 2 -2 (8 Quarters)

Etling 3 -19 (4 Quarters)

That’s a substantial job not taking losses.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

There are occasions you can throw away. These probably arent one of them. 1 of his 2 sacks he started from his own 5 yard line and was in the paint with pressure.
Maybe on a roll out type play you’ve got open lanes to throw it away, but that never happened.

That said. Had he threw those all away, it would’ve also erased several 1st downs (12 yard run @SF;
11 yard run @Lambeau)
Another would be Sack, we watched Love get out past LOS, but then got caught from behind scrambling to the sideline attempting to make the 1st down marker.

Sacks
Love 2 -2 (8 Quarters)

Etling 3 -19 (4 Quarters)

That’s a substantial job not taking losses.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting quarterbacks to throw the ball away quickly to avoid a sack. I was solely talking about plays on which they run out of bounds for a loss instead of getting rid of the ball before doing that.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting quarterbacks to throw the ball away quickly to avoid a sack. I was solely talking about plays on which they run out of bounds for a loss instead of getting rid of the ball before doing that.
Yes, it is pretty easy to underhand the ball out of bounds when you are close to the sidelines. Obviously they are not taught to do it and I could see some circumstances when they don't know exactly where they are relative to the line of scrimmage. In that case they don't want to risk a penalty.

Reaction score
Oh I see. The sideline can be your friend. Many times I see players at the Pro level not understand the rules. That costs them big time. As one example that time Ty used the sideline out of bounds and reached in (grounded out of bounds) on a KR to advance to the 40. It’s the only time you can step out and be the first to touch the ball. Pretty intelligent

Another example.
On a Hail Mary for the tie or Win
I never understood why a QB would throw the ball out of bounds, such as behind the Endzone area or off the sideline. It would make more sense for a QB to throw it straight up in the air and run to the concession stand and grab a soda.
It’s a better probability of scoring! .01% vs Zero! Plus you get a Soda out of the deal

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I see. The sideline can be your friend. Many times I see players at the Pro level not understand the rules. That costs them big time. As one example that time Ty used the sideline out of bounds and reached in (grounded out of bounds) on a KR to advance to the 40. It’s the only time you can step out and be the first to touch the ball. Pretty intelligent

Another example.
On a Hail Mary for the tie or Win
I never understood why a QB would throw the ball out of bounds, such as behind the Endzone area or off the sideline. It would make more sense for a QB to throw it straight up in the air and run to the concession stand and grab a soda.
It’s a better probability of scoring! .01% vs Zero! Plus you get a Soda out of the deal
Who is "Ty"?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ty Montgomery...
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Cobb did something similar...
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Of course, thanks Pk. Some people use first names and it can be confusing, especially for players who haven't been around for years. I just prefer last names. Or mangling last names while being clear who it is - like Gluten! Not "Brian".

Latest posts