Packers sign TE Tyler Davis off Colts practice squad

OP
OP
Krabs

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I guess I see Dafney is on IR. Doesn't seem that great of a move to me. Anyone know this guy?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Logical move to see if he could serve as Dafney role if needed.

He is a converted QB with athleticism from Georgia Tech. I recognize his name from Day 3 discussions of mine in the 2020 draft prep.

He is a flyer for the PS and worth kicking tires on to see if he fits the system.

OP
OP
Krabs

Krabs

Reaction score
Logical move to see if he could serve as Dafney role if needed.

He is a converted QB with athleticism from Georgia Tech. I recognize his name from Day 3 discussions of mine in the 2020 draft prep.

He is a flyer for the PS and worth kicking tires on to see if he fits the system.
If they sign him from a practice squad doesn't that mean he is on the 53?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they sign him from a practice squad doesn't that mean he is on the 53?

He may have to spend time there and very well will serve as the Dafney spot out the gate, however I don't expect an active gameday spot on him his first week.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other than Tonyan, do the Packers have another deep threat TE? Is Davis fast ? If so, not a bad idea to pick up anther TE that can potentially get open down the middle of the field.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4.65 speed, we don't need multiple receiving TEs. MLF system needs diverse offerings in the TE position - he fills the Dafney role.

OP
OP
Krabs

Krabs

Reaction score
Other than Tonyan, do the Packers have another deep threat TE? Is Davis fast ? If so, not a bad idea to pick up anther TE that can potentially get open down the middle of the field.
I thought Deguara was back this last week. I mean, I know we need more than two TE's, I just never heard of the guy. Seems dumpster diving again.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Folks we have excellent group of TEs in the roles MLF system needs.

Lewis is the best blocking TE in the league IMO, and is a slow but savvy TE with good hands when needed.

Tonyan is the receiver of the group, yet has illustrated a willingness to block and while I would not call him an awesome blocker with each year he is progressing into above average to good one.

Deguara is the hybrid guy that can run as the FB, split backfield, along the line or motion out - one of the best receiving TEs Cincinnati has produced.

Dafney is the even more FB type - which is clearly what they're hoping Davis may be.

Let's be honest Dafney was in the 48 - 53 level of the active roster, on IR rolling the dice on guys like Davis to see if fits is precisely what good GMs do.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be honest Dafney was in the 48 - 53 level of the active roster, on IR rolling the dice on guys like Davis to see if fits is precisely what good GMs do.
Agree with everything you said down to the punctuation. This is the key though. The bottom of the roster is for finding the right pieces to fit your puzzle each season. Find the guy that just discovered some extra motivation or passion. Find the guy who finally puts it all together on your team. Find the guy that is extra motivated to excel on special teams, because this might be his last ever stop in the NFL.

Churn, churn, churn....I think the Byrds sang that

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They put Lancaster on the COVID list and used the spot to get a closer look at a guy they're apparently interested in.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with everything you said down to the punctuation. This is the key though. The bottom of the roster is for finding the right pieces to fit your puzzle each season. Find the guy that just discovered some extra motivation or passion. Find the guy who finally puts it all together on your team. Find the guy that is extra motivated to excel on special teams, because this might be his last ever stop in the NFL.

Churn, churn, churn....I think the Byrds sang that
there is a season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting pickup. Sounds like an intense guy committed to the team concept. I'm going to sit back and watch to see how this guy develops.

Members online

Latest posts