Packers sign T Jamon Meredith

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

Place WR Kevin Dorsey on injured reserve.

Meredith was originally drafted by the Packers in 2009 (fifth round) but never appeared in a game for the team. He played four games for the Colts this season.

http://pack.rs/20gsh

Last edited by a moderator:

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Must just be for depth. I remember when we drafted him, hasn't stuck around anywhere too long. 8 stints with 7 teams in a 5 year career.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Must be the first time that TT has signed one of his former picks/players after they left or were cut and played for another team. If not, they are few and far between.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, go back to failed picks. Give me an over the hill, proven vet.
Bruce Wilkerson, anyone?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather have a blackballed incognito. What would he cost....half the league minimum so 400k or so and he would be on his best behavior for 8 game and the playoffs.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Must just be for depth. I remember when we drafted him, hasn't stuck around anywhere too long. 8 stints with 7 teams in a 5 year career.

I expected Thompson to bring in a veteran on the OL if Lang and/or Sitton won't be able to play today. This is just a move to have at least seven healthy OL vs. the Bears.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This answers the question, is there an OL available who is better than Sherrod?

H

HardRightEdge

I called for a Howard Green-type move in picking up a vet G/T backup. Meredith fits the profile on paper. The question remains, can he play worth a d*mn?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, go back to failed picks. Give me an over the hill, proven vet.
Bruce Wilkerson, anyone?
I'm not quite understanding this and some of the other statements. Meredith was a Packers 5th round pick that was stashed away on our practice squad his rookie season but enticed away by the Bills. He's no bonafide starter but he's got experience all along the line and is a better backup option than Sherrod. He's a 6-year veteran with fresh legs. Would some of you have been happier if he was an older, 8-year veteran?

This is essentially your Bruce Wilkerson signing by TT. He cast off one of his best picks and brought in what the team felt was the best available FA offensive lineman with pre-loaded knowledge of our scheme. I think that Thompson deserves slight praise for finding someone mid-season to be a better backup than Sherrod. That's what good GM's do, and it's the same reason that Wolf brought in Wilkerson.

Let's also stop the Icognito talk. That guy never, ever, ever would be a Green Bay Packer in the team's modern era. We don't put head-cases on this team, and while that may put us a half-step back, it allows all of us fans to be proud of our team.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably- almost certainly- not much better in the way of options at this time of year. But Meredith is not an answer either. Ignoring O line depth could be the next thing to bite this team.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably- almost certainly- not much better in the way of options at this time of year. But Meredith is not an answer either. Ignoring O line depth could be the next thing to bite this team.

Except we didn't really ignore it. We lost a presumed starter and our number 6 in training camp. We left Seattle in week one with only 1-3, 7 (Linsley), and 8 (Sherrod). And let's be honest, 8 was really more like 9, but because we lost Barclay (6) we needed to keep a tackle on the roster.

Look at next year. The presumed starters are playing right now, assuming Bulaga sticks around. That gives you a strong 5 with Tretter and Barclay on the bench. Draft a development guy in round 4 and we're set for 2015.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You ignore it by trotting out a lot of undrafted and/or unproven players instead of proven vets in the off season. You need to get away from 'developmentals' and projects now and then. As far as a strong 5, this is an up and down, average and limited line. And please, no stats from PFF or whoever- watch them play.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed about the line not being outstanding, but four out of five are quality players. As a unit they may not be producing as they should especially in the running game, but they have the ability to play better. I would be more concerned if they were at their talent ceiling, but am still somewhat concerned that they aren't playing up to that level yet.

I would call Barclay a proven veteran no matter whether he was drafted or not. There is no long list of teams in the NFL with starter-quality backups on the O-line. The only gamble was at center. Let's also remember that this team has invested two #1 picks in the OL over the past five drafts. There have been stronger needs in other areas recently but frankly who cares. Most of the Packers best lineman have come from the 4th and 5th rounds: Sitton 2008-R4, Lang 2009-R4, Bakhtiari 2013-R4, Linsley 2014-R5, and we soon might be able to toss Trettor in there 2013-R4.

If anything, we should toss another 4th or 5th round pick at the OL and then concentrate on other areas of need.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

As far as a strong 5, this is an up and down, average and limited line.

I think the offensive line has been pretty good in pass blocking (except when Sherrod was playing) but they have to improve in run blocking.

Members online

Latest posts