Packers sign RB Tra Carson to active roster

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know where you've got your numbers from but according to Pro Football Reference's play index there have been 23 kickoffs returned for a touchdown since the start of the 2015 season. Only 39.7% of kickoffs have been returned over the past 3+ seasons. The average of 23.06 yards per return indicates that it might be better to down every more kicks.

I prefer to have a returner able to follow instructions as well but definitely want the Packers to hand the job to someone more explosive than Carson.

I got my numbers from PFR play index too. I searched kickoffs where the result was a TD. I was a little pressed for time a while ago and I didn't think to discount muffs that turned into TDs, but even so, that just means TD returns are even more rare than I figured. Either way, I agree Carson isn't the most explosive guy in the world. But given how rarely that explosiveness comes into play as a kickoff returner, that attribute is not a high priority for me. If it comes to a choice between brains and athleticism, I'm taking brains every time. Now I don't know, maybe Carson is an idiot too. Could be. But apparently he did have a 3.79 college GPA. I will say I would never want Davis back there with his track record of bad decisions.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

If it comes to a choice between brains and athleticism, I'm taking brains every time. Now I don't know, maybe Carson is an idiot too. Could be. But apparently he did have a 3.79 college GPA. I will say I would never want Davis back there with his track record of bad decisions.

Carson not having returned kickoffs in college strongly indicates he isn't a fit for the position. While Davis made too many bad decisions as a punt returner last season I would definitely prefer him returning kickoffs.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carson not having returned kickoffs in college strongly indicates he isn't a fit for the position.

Or it could mean they didn't have a need to put him back there. Just because a guy might not have gotten much of a chance to do it in college doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't have done it. One return for 24 yards isn't bad at all.

The very fact that the Packers are activating him might just indicate that they know something you don't. I don't know. I guess we'll find out.

H

HardRightEdge

Slocum asked Cobb if he's up for returning KOs. The idea it will be MVS or Cobb is looking pretty solid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He looked pretty good in college to me. I'd like to see him get some carries, though it probably won't happen.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Or it could mean they didn't have a need to put him back there. Just because a guy might not have gotten much of a chance to do it in college doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't have done it. One return for 24 yards isn't bad at all.

The very fact that the Packers are activating him might just indicate that they know something you don't. I don't know. I guess we'll find out.

I consider a total sample size of one kickoff return as way too small to make an educated guess about Carson's ability in that area.

The Packers most likely activated him to have three running backs on the active roster but I highly doubt they will use him to replace Montgomery as kick returner.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know in the past they've said they prefer RB's back there to return kicks, but I have a hard time believing this guy is going to be used that way.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised Davis and Kumerow haven't practiced yet. I think there is a window of time you must be activated within and that window starts when you return to practice. At some point though the IR thing doesn't matter since you are 8 weeks away from the season being over.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm surprised Davis and Kumerow haven't practiced yet. I think there is a window of time you must be activated within and that window starts when you return to practice. At some point though the IR thing doesn't matter since you are 8 weeks away from the season being over.

The Packers can still activate Davis and/or Kumerow later this season. While both of them would have been able to practice by now Kumerow is eligible to play next week vs. the Dolphins while Davis isn't available for another two games.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers can still activate Davis and/or Kumerow later this season. While both of them would have been able to practice by now Kumerow is eligible to play next week vs. the Dolphins while Davis isn't available for another two games.
I believe the minimum sit-out is measured in weeks not games. Kumerow was IRed before the season started. We're now in week 9 so he would have been eligible this week. I think with MVS doing well and St. Brown chipping in, they might prefer leaving him on IR rather than have him take up a roster spot. A couple of WR injuries of some duration might change that. If we assume Cobb is gone next season, they might like him as a big slot next year.

Davis was IRed after week 1 so he'd be eligible to return in week 10, next week. However, you'd expect he'd need at least a week of practice time to get his sea legs. If he's not activated by Tuesday I would surmise he won't be available next week. How well Montgomery's replacement performs might be a factor in bringing him back. For all we know, by now the Packers may have decided to injury settle him but can't because the duration of the injury has not yet been established.

Of course the obvious question is whether these guys are even healthy enough to play at this juncture.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just stop it, Carson doesn't present an option to return kickoffs. Period.
While I agree that he is unlikely being brought in as a kick returner... that statement was a bit uncharacteristic. While you often state your opinions as fact, You do usually support them lol.

Reaction score
Just a thought. These are the facts when it comes to kickoff return success. The following is a list of NFL season leaders: (I’ll go back 10 consecutive years for a solid sample size, then I’ll throw out the fastest and slowest to solidify the mean average success 40 speed.
40 time

2017 T. Lockett 4.40
2016 A. Erickson. 4.52
2015 A. Abdullah 4.55
2014 D. Hester 4.41
2013 D. Hester 4.41
2012 D. Wilson. 4.49
2011 B. Banks 4.43
2010 L. Stephens-Howling 4.48
2009 D. Amendola 4.58
2008 J. Wilson 4.39

That’s a 4.46 average combine speed. The fastest of the most successful NFL athletes is 4.39 and the slowest was 4.58.

We could also throw out the high and low score to make sure there are no anomalies. That still leaves a 4.46 average 40 time.

We know that for the last decade the most successful KRs in this league have run approximately a mid 4 sec 40 time.

Now that being said. We could argue that a 350lb William “the fridge” Perry is our solution because he can run people over or he’s difficult to tackle or just has a huge 5 yard burst. But the fact remains by and large the most successful KR in this league run in the mid 4’s and there hasn’t been KR leader slower than a 4.58 40time that has led his peers.

With that information behind us, I’m not in favor of putting a 4.64 guy out there to experiment unless there’s extenuating circumstances (e.g he’s the emergency 3rd guy or whatever).

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Nit to pick. If he were IR'd before the cut down to 53, I do not think he is eligible to return this season. IIRC, you have to make the 53 then get put on IR to use the return this season option.
Right. Kumerow was placed on the initial 53 man roster then moved to IR before opening day. So, he'd be eligible to return this week after the mandatory 8 week minimum on IR as I said.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I believe the minimum sit-out is measured in weeks not games. Kumerow was IRed before the season started. We're now in week 9 so he would have been eligible this week. I think with MVS doing well and St. Brown chipping in, they might prefer leaving him on IR rather than have him take up a roster spot. A couple of WR injuries of some duration might change that. If we assume Cobb is gone next season, they might like him as a big slot next year.

Davis was IRed after week 1 so he'd be eligible to return in week 10, next week. However, you'd expect he'd need at least a week of practice time to get his sea legs. If he's not activated by Tuesday I would surmise he won't be available next week. How well Montgomery's replacement performs might be a factor in bringing him back. For all we know, by now the Packers may have decided to injury settle him but can't because the duration of the injury has not yet been established.

Of course the obvious question is whether these guys are even healthy enough to play at this juncture.

You're right that players being put on injured reserve are allowed to play after eight weeks. In my opinion that's kind of strange as it gives teams which have a bye week during that period a competitve advantage.

While I agree that he is unlikely being brought in as a kick returner... that statement was a bit uncharacteristic. While you often state your opinions as fact, You do usually support them lol.

Well, in my opinion it's pretty obvious that team aren't looking at a 5-11, 228 pounds running back to be used as a kickoff returner. You're right that I should have supported my claim with facts though.

Fortunately OldSchool did that for me in the mean time.