Packers sign Merling

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worthy is 6'3", which is short for DE in a 3-4. The beat reporters are saying his best chance to play is inside on the 4-3 situations. Daniels and Muir are no taller or shorter.
Merling is the prototype, sizewise, for the DE: 6'5" and 300+ pounds. Keep in mind the DE goes up against offensive tackles that are routinely 6'5" and 300 pounds and a shorter guy will get pummeled by a larger tackle. It's all about leverage.
So what the Packers have are about a dozen guys on the defensive line and they hope that 5-6 stick. Daniels is a prime candidate for the practice squad.

We play much less base 3-4 than you seem to think in today's passing league.

I think your blanket statement about leverage is also incorrect: guys that are low and quick can and will burn 6'5", 300+ pound o-linemen and get at QBs. You may be sleeping on Daniels. We'll see how it plays out.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It's interesting the Packers list Daniels at DT along with only Raji, Pickett, and Muir. (BTW, Muir is listed at 6'2" and 322 pounds so he could be "squatty" enough to take snaps at NT IMO.) Again, I wouldn't get too caught up in this particularly this early but I don't think they're expecting Daniels to contribute at DE. He's listed at 6'0" and 291 pounds. If he can generate a pass rush as interior DL in the 2 man DL, even with limited snaps that will be fantastic and IMO that alone would categorize that pick as a success.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have enough bodies now at DL that it almost seems like we could employ a 4-3 again.
LBers would be Perry-Bishop-Matthews, and you have Hawk as a situational guy.

Members online

Latest posts