Packers sign Merling

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
The Pack are reporting a new acquisition and a couple releases. Here is a link to the article about signing Merling (previously with the Dolphins).
Any thoughts? Anyone know anything about him?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers have announced they have signed DE Phillip Merling and released TE Cameron Ford and QB Nick Hill. The transactions were announced Wednesday by Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson.
Merling, a 6-foot-5, 315-pound fifth-year player out of Clemson, played for the Miami Dolphins each of the past four seasons (2008-11) after being drafted by Miami in the second round (32nd overall) in 2008. He played in 46 games with three starts for the Dolphins, recording 66 tackles (50 solo), 3½ sacks, two fumble recoveries, an interception that he returned for a TD, and eight passes defensed.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is perfect with Hargrove and Mike Neal gone for the first 4 or 8 games of the year.

Merling was the #32 pick in the draft just 5 years ago.... and he owns a win at Lambeau Field already.
Nice signing.

Teddy has been unbelievably aggressive this off-season!!!
Still don't know why he didn't go get me Jerry Hughes though... suspect the Colts know he's gonna flourish in their new 34 scheme!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This can't be - Thompson doesn't sign UFAs! :D

Even without knowing the contract numbers I like this signing. Merling's NFL experience is an obvious plus and at 6-5, 315 he is as close to the prototypical size of a 3-4 DE as anyone on the roster.

Thompson certainly is determined to infuse the defense with talent. He has now added three UFAs to the DL (admittedly one won't play for awhile) and two draftees, including a second rounder. He's added two draftees to the LB group, including a first rounder who will be an instant starter. And he's added two draftees, including a second rounder to the secondary. That's 9 newcomers to the D.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
"played for the Miami Dolphins each of the past four seasons (2008-11) after being drafted by Miami in the second round (32nd overall) in 2008." So a 32nd pick four years ago
"He played in 46 games with three starts for the Dolphins" Still only wound up as a back-up.
"recording 66 tackles (50 solo), 3½ sacks, two fumble recoveries, an interception that he returned for a TD, and eight passes defensed" So a tackle and a half per game, 3 sacks in four years, and a lot of time in "coverage" right in front of the guard. This guy strikes me as another "guy" on the line. He'll have to prove otherwise; something tells me he got released for a reason and it wasn't cap.

This move also shows me disappointment with the line even after Muir Hargrove Worthy and Daniels.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
F**** thing.... just spent 10 minutes posting, and pasting all kinds of 411 info on Merling, thru 2 stopages of the SLOW SCRIPT crap.... and then it closed it out.

What the *** is going on here with this site?
I never get messages/errors anywhere else, but do here every time I come here now.

Spotlight on Phillip Merling for the 2008 NFL Draft

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
It seems like myself and Mel Kiper are about the only Draftniks that have Clemson defensive end Phillip Merling ranked as a first round NFL Draft Prospect. As of 31 January 2008 Kiper has him ranked 11th on his big board and I have him rated as a first round NFL Draft prospect on my Draft Value Board. Since he is a recently declared junior maybe the scouts haven’t had a chance to go back and look at his game film yet.

Regardless of the reason, I predict by the end of the NFL Scouting Combine Merling will be widely regarded as a first round talent. Merling was forecast as a second-round pick by the NFL underclassmen advisory committee. But he (Merling) believes he could move into the first round with a good showing at the NFL Scouting Combine. I agree, Merling has all the tangibles you look for in an NFL prospect, nice size at 6.4 ½ and 276 pounds and very nice athletic ability. Reportedly, he decided to turn pro partly because he has a child, and also because his mother is struggling financially.

Merling was a two way player and a tight end at Fork Union Military Academy (2004) before joining the Clemson Tigers, he had 38 catches for 647 yards and five touchdowns; he added five sacks, 51 tackles, and eight pass breakups as a defensive end. He was the 18th ranked tight end in the nation according to SuperPrep, the 20th ranked tight end by Scout.com and was rated as the 25th best prep player in the nation by Rivals.com.

Merling has been extremely productive on the football field and has the entire repertoire of pass rushing moves. At close to 280 pounds he also has the girth to hold up against the run. The other thing that makes him attractive to the NFL is his size and strength will allow him to play end in either a 34 or a 43 defense. It’s not even out of the question to convert him to outside linebacker. Greg Ellis made the transition for the Dallas Cowboys and both players have almost identical size and abilities, Merling might even be a little quicker than Ellis.

Once he got to Clemson (2005) he quickly adapted to playing defensive end exclusively; he was awarded the 12th Man Award for the defense as a rookie and received second-team freshman All-America honors as a defensive end by Rivals.com. He played 271 snaps, fifth among Clemson freshmen and second among first-year freshmen.

As a sophomore (2006) he played behind eventual first round pick (#4 Tampa Bay Bucs) Gaines Adams, but played in all 13 games. He totaled 46 tackles, third-most among defensive linemen and was ninth on the team in tackles. Clemson's defense was rated in the top-16 nationally among division 1 defenses. Merling had 10 tackles for loss, second-most on the team behind Gaines Adams and finished the season strong with at least four tackles in each of the last six contests. He had 30 of his 46 tackles during the last six games and finished the season with five tackles along with a tackle for loss against Kentucky in the Music City Bowl.

This season (2007) as a junior he elevated his play even further. He led Clemson in tackles for loss with 17 and quarterback sacks with seven. He was instrumental to the Tigers’ top 10 national ranking in scoring and total defense. Merling recorded 78 tackles to rank fourth on the team, first among defensive linemen. He was named ACC Defensive Lineman of the Week three times, more than any other ACC player. It marked the first time since 2001 that a Clemson player was named ACC Player of the Week three times. On 17 November 2007 in a game against Boston College (BC), Merling registered six tackles, including two sacks for 22 yards. He also was credited with three quarterback pressures on the night, and drew two holding calls against the BC offensive line. In 67 defensive snaps, Merling graded at 88 percent as the Clemson defense held the Eagles to just 60 yards rushing. He dominated a quality BC offensive line and is expected to do the same in the NFL.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/scouting_report_on_phillip_merling/117874

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
" after being drafted by Miami in the second round (32nd overall) in 2008." So a 32nd pick four years ago
So he's like a 1st round pick - #32 and all. Is this one of those years where Minny forgot to take a player? Must be the year that NE forfeited a pick for cheating.

From wikipedia:
Before the 2010 season he suffered a torn Achilles' Tendon and was ruled out for the season, although he was activated before the Dolphins' Week 13 game with Cleveland.
Merling was waived by the Dolphins on April 23, 2012. He had only made seven tackles over the last two seasons.

I remember at one time thinking he was a good player, not sure how good he is now. I know it can take a while to get over achilles injuries. Maybe he is better now, but 7 tackles in 20 games? Not a lot of production.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Merlin is a training camp filler with the option of becoming something should he decide that this is his last chance to play pro football. I wish the guy best of luck but doubt that he's got the motor to do it right.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still don't know why he didn't go get me Jerry Hughes though... suspect the Colts know he's gonna flourish in their new 34 scheme!

Come on Rizz - Jerry Hughes gets brought up by you more often than posts about Matt Flynn. I am sure you mentioned him 3 or 4 times prior to getting the slow script error. Robdog whacks you with that error every time you type in the name Hughes. It's in the programming...

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers have announced they have signed DE Phillip Merling and released TE Cameron Ford and QB Nick Hill. The transactions were announced Wednesday by Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson.
Merling, a 6-foot-5, 315-pound fifth-year player out of Clemson, played for the Miami Dolphins each of the past four seasons (2008-11) after being drafted by Miami in the second round (32nd overall) in 2008. He played in 46 games with three starts for the Dolphins, recording 66 tackles (50 solo), 3½ sacks, two fumble recoveries, an interception that he returned for a TD, and eight passes defensed.
I pick six was vs the Jets when they had the previous Packer starting QB.

Reaction score
so if he doesn't get a lot of tackles/sacks/etc... does he at least eat up a couple blocks and open things up for Middle Linebacker blitzes or something? Or does this dude just kind of suck in general?

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting signing. If he was any good the Dolphins would have kept him. They didn't want to pay him too much, so they cut him.
What all the d-line signings tell me(aside from the rule of more that increases the probability of success) is you might see Raji outside more this year. As I recall during the Super Bowl year he played more outside. Worthy and Daniels and Muir can play inside. Pickett is not young and his effectiveness could be on the downside.
They also have Lawrence Guy coming back. Lots of options, but I'm not certain any of them are better than Cullen Jenkins, now starting in Philly.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
What I like about the signing is it creates more competition. The Packers have to upgrade the performance of Neal, Wilson, and Wynn last season and while each of them have a chance to improve, five new DL give the Packers more options if they don’t.

IMO Raji’s best spot is NT – McCarthy has said as much and before the 2010 season when they switched Pickett to DE and Raji to nose and I believe Pickett agreed with that. Since Capers has played a two man DL more than his “base” 3-4 finding two pass rushers for the nickel and dime is probably more important. At the first OTA they lined up Raji and Worthy at those spots and I’ll bet that’s who they’d like to earn those jobs. IMO Daniels, Hargrove (after suspension), and Neal (after suspension) are the next best candidates for those two spots, along with Wilson and Wynn if they can improve a lot. (I don’t know enough about Guy to include him as a pass rusher.) In the base I think Raji, Pickett and Muir are the candidates for the NT rotation. If they can find DEs, keeping Pickett only at NT should keep him fresher. Unfortunately Raji is probably their best NT and best DE in the base and their best pass rushing DL in the 2-4-5. But he can’t play more than one spot at a time and they have to limit his snaps to keep him effective. If Pickett and perhaps Muir can take up some snaps at NT in the base and if Merling or one of the other DE candidates can play a bunch of snaps opposite Worthy in the base, that should improve Raji as a pass rusher.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Worthy and Daniels and Muir can play inside.
You sure about that? Maybe if we played a 4-3. Muir is just barely big enough to nose, but until Daniels packs on the pounds: DE. Worthy is obviously an end as well. Personally I'd have them at end

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worthy is 6'3", which is short for DE in a 3-4. The beat reporters are saying his best chance to play is inside on the 4-3 situations. Daniels and Muir are no taller or shorter.
Merling is the prototype, sizewise, for the DE: 6'5" and 300+ pounds. Keep in mind the DE goes up against offensive tackles that are routinely 6'5" and 300 pounds and a shorter guy will get pummeled by a larger tackle. It's all about leverage.
So what the Packers have are about a dozen guys on the defensive line and they hope that 5-6 stick. Daniels is a prime candidate for the practice squad.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I've seen Worthy listed at 6'2", 308 lbs. but I wouldn't get too caught up in the numbers. Talent trumps a couple of inches in height every time. And part of the reason for that is technique and as you mentioned, leverage. (It's usually easier for the shorter man to gain leverage.) For example, who did Packers fans spend a lot of last season pining for? Yep, Cullen Jenkins. All 6'2" 305 pounds of him. If Worthy's quick first step translate from colllege and the first practices in Green Bay to padded practices and NFL games and if he is dedicated and coachable, he could very well approximate Jenkins' contributions as an inside pass rusher AND at DE.