Packers sign Freeman

OP
OP
A

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not totally sold on Freeman, but I trust Bates' liking a player more than I would Slowik.

At the very least Freeman should provide some depth at safety for a low price, so it's a decent signing in that regard. I'm hoping he'll be good enough to beat out Roman for one safety spot, and maybe we can draft another starting safety so we can be improved at safety from last year.

I'm still curious to see if Thomas can/will emerge in the race for a spot at safety.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont know a damn thing about freeman, but i do know one average safety is better than no safeties at all and/or a subpar corner turned project safety...and i'm positive the price was right.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a similar situation we had last year when we signed Mark Roman because of Slowiks ties to Cinci. But this time, Freeman has proved himself to be a solid player, and it will be nice to have someone who already is familiar with Bates's system. Hopefully, Freeman can help the younger guys to get acclimated. He won't light the world on fire, but he will be a decent saftey.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We obviously needed somebody and we could have done a lot worse. Bates seems to like him, that's a plus, and he should be able to help teach Bates system to the rookies. It would be nice to get one more vet safety for competition.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Aside from the obvious needs I think "Bates gets a player who can function in his defensive scheme immediately as well as help others learn it." played a huge role in signing him.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the guys over at FTO went to the extent of signing up on Finheaven.com to find out how the Dolphin fans appreciated Arturo Freeman ---- With thank you's out the ***** from FTO - I am copying (with advisement) that text so that everyone "here"... can read what's been found out and then comment back....

ADVISEMENT: When you get a chance - go over to http://thefrozentundra.org and have a take.. You'll find it's worth the effort!
=============================================
Mesage Thread - "Fins fans fry Freeman" by NET

(NET said) - I went to Finheaven.com and asked Dolphin fans what they thought of Arturo Freeman.

(Their responses)
1.)"He's not really that good, he's definatly no Sharper, but he's about average. He did have 4 picks this year despite not playin much in the begginning of the year."

2.)"AF is not a bad player, but he's not consistent in his pass coverages, which got him in some trouble around here. He has good speed, knows Bate's D, and hopefully will bossum for you guys...He started all last year, which should help, since he'll be playing in the same D."

3.)"He didn't start all last year, remember Antuan Edwards was starting for him before he was released."

4.)"Freeman had a very tuff time ever cracking the starting Lineup. Never lived up to his potential, more suited as a backup IMO."

5.)"He his a good teammate works very hard and does a lot of little things but he his not a starter but he should have a roster spot in any team in the NFL"

6.)"He's a solid starter, but not a really big play maker. That's why we tried to replace him. He seemed to play a lot better under Bates..."

7.)"He's an average FS who never really got a fair shake here. He's not suited for SS but whenever he's gotten the chance to play at FS he's done solid."

8.)"Net2, I'm going to be honest because it seems to be what you want, but you're not going to like the answer.

9.) "Arturo Freeman is a coach-killer. He flashes enough skills to tantalize, but the truth is that aside form a few spectacular plays in the years he's been here, he has been just awful at every position he's been tried in.

He sucked at corner, nickle, dime, safety - you name the position, he's been toasted in it.

He was one of those Wannstedt guys that hung around because - as I said before - he does have some physical gifts; but no football smarts whatsoever to go with them. At the end of the day, he's just another of Wannstedt's many personnel failures.

I can tell you that without rejoicing at your team's poor judgment, I will breathe easier when he is signed elsewhere, so there's less chance he might get a call because someone went down with an injury or some such misfortune."

"Oh please, he was the "Jay Fiedler" of the defense. He was a Wanny guy who should have been cut after year 3. He was a stretch pick when we took him and he finally started his 3rd year and we saw how he was verse the cover 2 and tackling. In came Sammy Knight.

And to this day Arturo still can't figure out the cover 2 (hello Bengals sunday night game)"

10.)"You might want to write a letter, or an email to the Head Coach of every team you play next year, and ask them not to throw it DEEP, then you will be fine.
He is a good hitter, who once or twice a game, gets caught out of position."

11.)"I think everyone here respects and likes Jim Bates and what he did with our defense the last few years. Obviously our defense was always one of the better ones in the league. I think it is very telling that whenever Bates had his way Freeman was starting. I think it says alot that Edwards was cut in order to allow Freeman (I know...and Bell) some playing time. Edwards wasn't playing terrible, though he dropped a couple of shore INT's. I know that Knight was brought in to replace Freeman at SS but remember that FS is his actual position. Take it for it's worth but Bates seems to really like him. Being that he has seen him almost every play of his entire NFL career... I think it says something about Freeman.

Personal opinion, he's ok. He did better this year in his limited starts than he has in the past. He actually looked like a starter this time around. However, his career is not just starting and he hasn't been able to hold down a starting position. He'll be ok in Green Bay."

--------------

Mixed reactions, at best, from the Miami faithful. FYI (Net's added comment)

IPBprez comment: If Bates thought enuf of the guy to warrant asking TT & Sherman to bring him in.... then what was it that Bates saw, which Wannstedt didn't see? On top of that, maybe the Coach is the whole deal in this Player's case... If he was starting to gel, with that many catches (INTs) in that short a eriod of time, after Bates took over... then, what does THAT tell you....? Personally, I hope these Dolphin fans are wrong on this one... and what's more, I hope their NEW Coach has a better time of it with the team than ol' Dave (Bears, anyone, anyone?) was able to achieve.

Comments?

Members online

Latest posts