Packers sign C Kyle Steuck

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
H

HardRightEdge

While you would not want to carry a second long snapper on the roster or practice squad, it's worth a little effort to identify a credible option for the Rolodex in the event of injury.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this is just a camp body move. With Linsley and Flores out Fri night and Tretter ailing, more bodies may have been needed. Barclay is #4 center and it showed Fri nite. IF Barclay makes the final 53 (I say he does) he is a flex option to finish the game if Linsley / Tretter can't. I wouldn't plan on him being the short term starter let alone a long term option.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is just a camp body move. With Linsley and Flores out Fri night and Tretter ailing, more bodies may have been needed. Barclay is #4 center and it showed Fri nite. IF Barclay makes the final 53 (I say he does) he is a flex option to finish the game if Linsley / Tretter can't. I wouldn't plan on him being the short term starter let alone a long term option.
Barclay is a waste of a spot. He was absolutely terrible last year. And just plain hasn't been good since his horrific knee injury. We have so many better linemen that are younger and have higher ceilings than Barclay. We need to protect our golden ticket aka Rodgers and Barclay cant do that as he has shown.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another hometown story. Went to De Pere high school. Apparently he was in a coaches meeting at the high school where he is a volunteer assistant coach when the Packers called him. He was in for tryouts this past off season and when they let him go they told him to stay in shape just in case. He may just be a camp body (I tend to agree) but its still a good story. You can't help but feel excited for a guy like this getting a chance to suit up for your favorite team.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

With the five starters, Spriggs, Tretter and most likely Taylor being locks to make the team Barclay will have to significantly improve over last season's performance to secure a spot on the roster.

Barclay is a waste of a spot. He was absolutely terrible last year. And just plain hasn't been good since his horrific knee injury. We have so many better linemen that are younger and have higher ceilings than Barclay. We need to protect our golden ticket aka Rodgers and Barclay cant do that as he has shown.

If Barclay plays like last season there's no way he should make the roster. If he performs up to the potential he showed before his knee injury he's a versatile backup though.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
a snippet from late in here : http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/baranczyk /2016/08/14/packers-run-defense-might-need-help/88641562/
Several offensive linemen have separated themselves from the pack of backups: JC Tretter, Jason Spriggs, Lane Taylor and Don Barclay.
[... other players edited out ...]
And Barclay looks more confident in his post-surgical knee than he was last season. He replaced Tretter and played the rest of the game (73 snaps) at center, and his ability to fill in anywhere on the line in a pinch will make him hard to cut. Barclay never has been especially athletic, but he’s moving his feet better now that he’s nearly two years removed from surgery.

Members online

Latest posts