Packers re-sign Aaron Jones

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm happy for Jones, he deserved to make some money. Always weary of giving big money to RB's, but until the details come out we don't know how it's structured for sure. I don't think the signing bonus was too much, i bet it's paired with very tolerable salary for the first 2 years and then it blows up year 3 and 4 at which point he'll either be earning it or gone.
Bonus fits Russ Ball’s mo. Almost all new contracts have the 25-33% guaranteed bonus. Only the elite franchise player type get the higher percentages in Green Bay.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Aaron Jones is, I believe, just 26 years old, and was criminally under-used his first two years in the league. I believe there's still quite a bit of tread an the tires, and he adds an element to the offense few NFL backs are capable of. I like this signing.

I will miss Jamal Williams, however....But you can't have everything.
The Packers ease in their rookies as a rule. Jones developed into what he now is. He wasn’t a finished or polished product coming out of college.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People may say he was underused, but he also missed time in both those seasons for injuries to end and start a year, no camp on year I believe and then was coming back from a couple/few game suspension. There were legitimate reasons why he wasn't used more and still, he played a lot of games, but he's never been the "workhorse"

He also was pretty poor at pass protection and blitz pickups coming out of college. Something he has really improved.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thing to consider, he has a different style. Suppose we play a team with small fast MLBs like Chicago. Packers would have an advantage towards the end of the game if roquon Smith has to tackle a guy 20 lbs heavier with a head of steam a dozen times already. Smith is already somewhat fragile. Yet playing a team with a larger les mobile ILB and Jones would have the advance with his quickness and explosion.

Exactly, see Tennessee. I'd also argue that against TB with a limited sample size that Dillon was our most effective back and his size and strength showed well in his limited carries against them. Personally I think Jones is at his best on a pitch count. He should be getting somewhere between 10-15 carries per game.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Praying we see Jones in the Ervin role a ton with Dillon at RB. I'll be pissed if Dillon is going to spend half the game on the sideline.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I hope we can buck the league wide trend of disappointing big RB contracts. There really isn't that much guaranteed in case he stops performing.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m more paraphrasing what I’ve seen multiple people say on Twitter:

I’m wary of big RB contracts, but I don’t mind paying money for playmakers.

Aaron Jones, is a playmaker. He is a very good receiver. He is a very good RB. He does not have a lot of touches on him compared to other top RB’s. GB has another good RB to ensure that Jones is not overused.

There are a lot of reasons why this can still be a good contract for GB.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m more paraphrasing what I’ve seen multiple people say on Twitter:

I’m wary of big RB contracts, but I don’t mind paying money for playmakers.

Aaron Jones, is a playmaker. He is a very good receiver. He is a very good RB. He does not have a lot of touches on him compared to other top RB’s. GB has another good RB to ensure that Jones is not overused.

There are a lot of reasons why this can still be a good contract for GB.

To be fair to counter argue is that he doesn't have a ton of touches on him due to health issues along the way. I'm not unhappy we resigned him, I am however firmly planted in the mud on in today's league RBs are not the wise investments. I pray this becomes an exception to nearly a proven rule.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers ease in their rookies as a rule. Jones developed into what he now is. He wasn’t a finished or polished product coming out of college.
Sorry, this made me chuckle. I think that we "ease" in our rookies because we've rarely selected a impactful rookie. Had we been able to select Justin Jefferson, I guarantee that we wouldn't have eased him in. We would have rode that horse to the Super Bowl.

The Packers eased in Justin Harrell and a host of others because, well, they sucked. I do agree that we eased in Aaron Rodgers because we had the luxury of having Brett Favre. Same goes for Jordan Love at the moment. Aside from QB though, we play the guys that are able to contribute and succeed as rookies.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop....with our high draft picks, especially in recent memory the idea we "ease" picks in is false. Love didn't play because Rodgers, none of us know if he is capable or would need "eased" in. Gary proved in limited exposure if it weren't for having two Smiths and Fackrell ahead he arguably showed didn't need easing.

Besides I believe @PikeBadger was more speaking specifically to RB tendency as an organization, even then though Lacy bucks that trend in the last 10 years, not too mention even Aaron Jones had nearly 100 carries his rookie year and Jamaal 153 that year as a rookie too.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Praying we see Jones in the Ervin role a ton with Dillon at RB. I'll be pissed if Dillon is going to spend half the game on the sideline.
Can't expect to put that much money into a player and not expect him to play a bug chunk of the plays.

Also, don't care about playing time as I do about winning. Whatever combo whatever role, so long as they win.

I hope we can buck the league wide trend of disappointing big RB contracts. There really isn't that much guaranteed in case he stops performing.

Going for Jones is he is a high character guy. Some of the guys with big contracts as if late; Elliot, Barkley, and that guy from Pittsburgh who sat out a year, Johnson, man seems like another one too. But they all demanded more money or be traded. Those malcontents have faded.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't expect to put that much money into a player and not expect him to play a bug chunk of the plays.

Also, don't care about playing time as I do about winning. Whatever combo whatever role, so long as they win.

Going for Jones is he is a high character guy. Some of the guys with big contracts as if late; Elliot, Barkley, and that guy from Pittsburgh who sat out a year, Johnson, man seems like another one too. But they all demanded more money or be traded. Those malcontents have faded.

This is very true...Jones left money on the table here. Something I'm sure his agent is not happy about, but you hear him in an interview for any amount of time talking about his childhood, family structure and how he communicates with his elders...not out of character for him to have done this.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think in the Mike McCarthy style of offense, Jones wouldn't have or at least shouldn't have been resigned. However, in the MLF run offense, he must have been considered a "must keep piece". Makes sense, he is a dual threat in this offense and as a result, gives the Packers offense a much better balanced attack.

Don't anyone fall over when I say this, but keeping Jones and paying him that much money, was probably a better move than using $10M on a FA WR (yeah I said it) and the rest on a FA RB. I think with Jones, barring an injuring, the Packers know exactly what they have. Of course, none of this means that I have given up hope for a WR room upgrade. :D

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No joke Jamaal is just one of the favorites of mine I am pissed is going to be somewhere else next year. He just makes me happy whenever he is on the tv for pregame, interviews, dancing...literally just a happy dude! His story from college is awesome too!

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think in the Mike McCarty style of offense, Jones wouldn't have or at least shouldn't have been resigned. However, in the MLF run offense, he must have been considered a "must keep piece". Makes sense, he is a dual threat in this offense and as a result, gives the Packers offense a much better balanced attack.

Don't anyone fall over when I say this, but keeping Jones and paying him that much money, was probably a better move than using $10M on a FA WR (yeah I said it) and the rest on a FA RB. I think with Jones, barring an injuring, the Packers know exactly what they have. Of course, none of this means that I have given up hope for a WR room upgrade. :D

I believe that they still might spend around 10 m a year on a wr...ty hilton or will Fuller would be 2 they seem to have known interest in around the league

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hilton is the one of the three that is most likely IF any of those three. Only one that might be had at a price that is palatable.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair to counter argue is that he doesn't have a ton of touches on him due to health issues along the way. I'm not unhappy we resigned him, I am however firmly planted in the mud on in today's league RBs are not the wise investments. I pray this becomes an exception to nearly a proven rule.

He missed a few games this year.

Didn’t miss any the year prior.

He missed the majority of his games in 2018 bc of suspension, not injury.

He hasn’t been hurt that much, actually.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like the 2nd half better. I have no problem with Dillon and Jones spelling each other and sometimes playing together. Jones did very well last year. Keeping both of them fresh sounds good to me. I am hoping to focus a bit on the O-line during the draft. I am not really sure how the O linemen from last year's draft are working out. Though I thought Runyan held his own; they did not let him keep playing.

Reaction score
I think in the Mike McCarty style of offense, Jones wouldn't have or at least shouldn't have been resigned. However, in the MLF run offense, he must have been considered a "must keep piece". Makes sense, he is a dual threat in this offense and as a result, gives the Packers offense a much better balanced attack.

I was going to offer something along that thought pattern. GB just led the league in O points scored and Jones was an integral part of those points/production. As long as we can find an answer at C, this Offense should conceivable be competing at a very high level. We finally found the award winning recipe snd it’s not wise to modify those ingredients dramatically or it could backfire.
It’s my opinion our backfield will be a hair better in 2021, now we just need to do emphasize our hole at OL.