Packers place Nick Perry on IR

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

He better agrees to a restructuring of his contract. So we can immediately cut him afterwards lol

The Packers are on the hook for the remining prorated portion of Perry's signing bonus ($11.1 million) even if they restructure his deal next offseason.

What is the actual cost, not cap hit, if he were on or not on the team next season. At least save the 4th day roster bonus. What else?

Perry is set to receive $11 million in cash from the Packers next season. If the team decides to release him before the third day of the 2019 league year they don't pay him a penny though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1.5 sacks is double digits. I mean, there’s 2 numbers there, right?
I think Darth had his tongue firmly in his cheek on that comment. And Perry to IR is business as usual. Good news - Packers can create a lot of cap space next year. The challenge will be to find good players in FA, the draft, and of course, praying.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I think Darth had his tongue firmly in his cheek on that comment. And Perry to IR is business as usual. Good news - Packers can create a lot of cap space next year. The challenge will be to find good players in FA, the draft, and of course, praying.

Once again, the Packers only save $3.6 million in cap space by releasing Perry next offseason. And that has to be done by the third day of the league year as he's otherwise due for a $4.8 million roster bonus.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, the Packers only save $3.6 million in cap space by releasing Perry next offseason. And that has to be done by the third day of the league year as he's otherwise due for a $4.8 million roster bonus.
ONLY $3.6Mil? According to Overthecap it's actually $3.337Mil... but that's the entire '19 cap hit of the top 3 picks (or at least the top 2 depending on draft order) in the draft so I'd be more than happy ONLY saving $3.337Mil.

Looking at it a different way, is GB getting $902k/game (using '19 figures) out of Perry for the 16 week season? With his IR history that's roughly $1.75Mil/game that he actually plays. I'm not Gute, but I say "NO".

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Another classic move by TT. Draft a DE and change him to an OLB. I like Perry. Injuries derailed his career. Perry will be back next year his contract has the Packers hands tied.

Chandler Jones, Melvin Ingram, Dee Ford, Dave Clowney, Whitney Mercilus, Brian Orakpo, Derrick Morgan, Ryan Kerrigan, Terrell Suggs, Khalil Mack...

All college DE's that were moved to 3-4 OLB's at some point in the pro's. Its extremely common. Both 43DE and 34OLB are edge rusher positions. It's just a difference in base defense formation. That was not the problem.

The issue with Perry has been that he can't stay healthy. In his one relatively healthy season, he was great. Then he got paid and went in the tank. So it would seem that he's both fragile and is phoning it in.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just cut bait and move on. Yeah, there's 11.1 million in dead money. There's also a cap savings of 3.6 million. Let him go and he's off the books. To me, the alternative is unacceptable. Do you tie up a roster spot and take a 14.7 million cap hit? How is that better?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't wait. I would do it right away to save the roster bonus due on day 3 of the new league year.

Members online

No members online now.